The Stolen (Nine Lives of Chloe King #2)

The Stolen (Nine Lives of Chloe King #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,462 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Published (first published August 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Stolen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stolen

Kristi
Again, I'm not sure that I would be reading this series if the TV series hadn't ended on such an immense cliffhanger and subsequently been canceled by ABC. But as I read these books, I'm realizing that the plots of the book and TV versions diverge considerably, so indeed, I may never know what happens with the storylines in the TV series. It's interesting--the books tackle a much simpler progression of events and the characters really do take on a completely different tone. Again in this volume,...more
Cinnamon
Have you ever come across those series where the first book makes you think, "Hmm, this is going to be good!" Then you pour through the second book and just sit speechless for a bit?

Yep, that's what happened to me this weekend. I recently finished reading The Fallen, the first book in The Nine Lives of Chloe King. I was left wondering after that book so went and found the second book. Just as the first was, THE STOLEN, the second book in this series, was a quick read and packed with enough actio...more
Elena
The story immediately picks up where it left off in the first book " THE FALLEN " and picks up the pace as Chloe struggles to adapt to Brian's betrayal, being a feline, her friends, and the San Francisco pride. In this book we get to know more about the history of the Mai and The Order which provides valuable insight and answer some of the questions that cam up in the first book.

Chloe develops allot in this book because of the situations she finds herself in. She is forced to live with stranger...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I wish I could say that I liked this series but I just can't get into it which is odd because I really like the TV series.
The Chloe in the books is nothing like the one in the TV series, in fact none of the characters are. Maybe if I hadn't watched the TV series first I would have like these books more. As it is, I doubt I will be starting the last book anytime soon.
Sophie
"Uprowadzona" to drugi tom trylogii o losach Chloe King, która w dniu szesnastych urodzin odkryła, że jest kimś więcej niż zwyczajną nastolatką borykającą się z typowymi na ten wiek problemami. Tego dnia Chloe spadła z wieży i umarła. Jednak teraz żyje i musi uporać się z poważniejszymi trudnościami...

W "Uprowadzonej" dowiadujemy się trochę więcej o świecie, z którego pochodzi Chloe, choć jej znaczenie, jako osoby posiadającej dziewięć żyć zostało wytłumaczone słabo i ostatecznie według mnie cał...more
Natalia
Prawdziwych przyjaciół poznaje się w biedzie

Życie nastolatki nie jest wcale kolorowe. Problemy z rodzicami szczególnie, gdy jest tylko jedno i to nad wyraz nadopiekuńcze, problemy sercowe, w szkole i wiele… wiele innych. Wydaje się, że gorzej już być nie może. A jednak! Chloe King przekonała się o tym na własnej skórze w momencie, gdy odkryła, iż tak naprawdę należy do mitycznej rasy Mai, czyli ludzi kotów. Ścigana przez tajemnicze Bractwo Dziesiątego Ostrza, musi ukryć się w siedzibie swoich lu...more
Pam Steinke
I’m going to be lazy and borrow the GoodReads synopsis for this one:
She argues with her mother. She occasionally skips class. And she alternately crushes on two totally different boys. But Chloe King is by no means your typical teenager. The girl can scale buildings and see in the dark. Sometimes, at night, she even likes to leap from rooftop to rooftop. Yes, Chloe has the instincts and ability of a cat. And that makes her unique indeed. It also makes her a wanted woman. Because the Order of the...more
Gary
Aug 13, 2011 Gary rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone a fan of the television series
Recommended to Gary by: ABC Family
Shelves: 2011, other-media
I wanted to read this series because ABC Family has turned this book series into a television show. With most adaptation the source material is usually better than the adaptation. Because my library didn't have the first bookThe Fallen. I had to start with this book.

Although I liked the story, I find Chloe portray in the television series better. The Chloe in the books doesn't usually see clues that are right in front of her. The story and conflict seem to develop and resolve fairly quickly. It...more
Christina
by: Celia Thomson total pages:266
This book is about 16 year old chloe king. you could say she is like spiderman she can climb the sides of buildings with ease and she has powers. She is not your typical teen even though she seems like she is because she gets in arguments with her parents and doesn't like the responsibilities that come with being a teenager. She sometimes even skips school which is really bad for her and her mother doesn't even have a clue that she does any of this. In fact she...more
Melissa
This book has a serious case of the italics.

It also includes more focus on the non-Chloe characters, a development that seems inspired by the realization that Chloe was the least likable non-villain in the first book. We also get about three times when the text reflects on why someone likes Chloe, or a character states specifically why he likes her, which is a shorthand way to point out our protagonist's previously mysterious positive qualities. She is passionate and committed more than the aver...more
Anna
Jul 16, 2013 Anna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the ABC Family show
Recommended to Anna by: no one
Jamie Roeske (*touch ma books and ill slay you*)
I really enjoyed the first book but I feel like the second one kind of went down hill. It was a lot more confusing and I felt like the main character went from being a really cool, sarcastic girl to a really annoying brat at times. The ending was also really unbelievable and confusing. I feel like the author tried really hard to make a shocking plot twist at the end and it just crashed and burned.
Allyson Knight
As opposed to the first book this one has a fairly interesting plot line; Chloe meets her people and tries to learn their history, her mom is kid-napped, and her best friends that started dating in the first book are starting to have issues. Like the first book it is well written and I am still biased towards it since I love the show so much.
Brianna
In The Chosen, Chloe finally knows what she is (Mai), a Rogue is trying to kill her, and her mother is kidnapped.

Chloe is still stringing along Alyec and Brian. Turns out that Alyec was a Mai like her (which allows making out since she can't kill him) and Brian ended up being the son of the man who leads the The Order of the Ten Blades (which kill Mai).

Chloe has already died twice and at the end of the book you'll discover why she has so many lives.

Nothing really happens in the book so I don't r...more
Renee Mapa
This book has a good story line and idea but the way it was written is sort of childish. It's very quick and not many details. I didn't really want to keep reading it. If it was written a different way or by a different person it could have been a bit more interesting.
Jennifer Maloney
The last half was better than the first half but I still found myself struggling to finish. I liked the storyline well enough but for some reason this author's writing doesn't suck me in and make me want to turn the pages.
Haley Fuoco
This book was really good but not as good as the first one because the first one had a lot more adventure. In this book, mainly the book takes place in the Mai house because Chloe has to stay . What I did like about this book was that Brian wasn't that involved in the book intill the end. I didn't like how a lot of people in the book are evil and very dark. One connection I have to the book is that I would be extremely hard for me if I was taken away from my friends and family like Chloe was. Th...more
Stacey West
it took me a while to get through this book. can't tell if it was because i was just not in a "reading mood" or if it was the story but at times picking up this book was like pulling teeth. all i can say is that the first book was better.
angelette
It was a little slow paced, and has the tipical symptos of a second book in a trilogy. There were lots of informations, questions, and it's about how Chloe finds out who she really is, and who are her parents. Yep, the 3/4 of this book is about angst, wondering, but I enjoyed it completely. It wasn't such a light book than the first, there were a few bloody scenes, but it doesn't want to be a full-serious-drama story.
And now I am officially Team Brian.
Abbey
it was a good book over all but not the best book ever. it had a good story line going on but it seemed the plot went on forever. Half the book was about Chloe setting in the house doing nothing. How boring is that! i liked the first one in the series much better than this one. The end was very good but predictable. This is one of those books were you read it because you have nothing better to read. So sorry not the best book in the world.
Gwyn Ryan
I think I really just had to get past the huge differences between the books and the TV show. Once I got over the whole different=bad thing there were definitely some things about the books I liked better than the show. Brian not being clueless and having a backbone being one of them. As was the Mai leaders not being . . . perfect. To say the least. Still cheesy teen-wish-fulfillment, but enjoyable cheesy teen-wish-fulfillment.
Sara
Helen
I didn't like this one as much as the first. I felt like there was too much going on, such that the plot became disjointed.

Also there weren't as many hot makeouts. Sad to say, but hot makeouts definitely up a book's rating for me.

I also learned when checking out this book that it's written under a pseudonym. The author uses her real name as the name for a throwaway character.
Myndi
So, this installment of the series branched out from what I was familiar with in the show a bit. We didn't get to meet Sergei in the show and I was suspicious of him from the beginning. I enjoyed the element of drama and helplessness that Chloe was feeling and how all of her friends, new and old, gathered around to help and support her. I'm eager to start the final book.
Nicole
Interestingly enough, I don't really like Chloe all that much, though I do really like the story itself. It's a fast paced, easy read. I didn't like how much pop culture name dropping there was: a few things would have been fine, but most of them were really time specific and so it really dates the book.
Neill Smith
As Chloe learns more about the reality of her life as a Mai and her powers against the Order of the Tenth Blade both her family and romantic life further become even more complicated culminating in a battle between the two groups and her realization that no one person or group is all good or all bad.
Alisha
This one was a lot better then the first. A lot more action, more relations with the Mai, and just a whole lot less teenage drama. Big improvement! I also liked seeing the differences between the show and book come out more, and the insight into where the show might have went.
Maya
Another page turner from Ceila Thomas, Chloe has discoverd more of herself in this book but the problems do not end for her. She has so much on her plate now and people from the past tend to show up in this book. I recommend this to teens everywhere.
This series is even more gripping in the second book. I'm still annoyed that Chloe is even remotely torn between Brian and Alyec because Brian is so much cuter (as portrayed so far) and Alyec is kind of lame. The big question is - who can Chloe trust?
Natalie
I gave up re-reading when I peaked at the end of book 3. I read these all when they first came out and liked the one guy. Now after watching the TVshow, I like the other guy, so I will have to pretend books 2 and 3 don't exist.
  • Kissing Jamie Baker (Jamie Baker, #1.5)
  • The Hour of Dreams (The Pace #4)
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 05
  • Senshi (Katana, #2)
  • Dare (Greystone, #2)
  • The Mackenzie Legacy (The Athena Effect #2)
  • Owlet (Society of Feathers, #1)
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 9 (Wild Ones, #9)
  • Awakening (BirthRight Trilogy, #2)
  • Timeless Love
  • Damselfly (Faeble, #2)
  • Reckoning (The Fallen, #4)
  • Surrender  (Haunting Emma, #3)
  • The Salvation
  • Alight: The Peril (Pyxis, #2)
  • Florence (Florence Waverley, #1)
  • No Time to Die (Dark Secrets, #3)
  • The Blood Moon of Winter
Celia Thomson and Tracy Lynn are pseudonyms of Liz Braswell.
More about Celia Thomson...
The Nine Lives of Chloe King (Nine Lives of Chloe King, #1-3) The Fallen (Nine Lives of Chloe King #1) The Chosen (Nine Lives of Chloe King #3) The Book Of Ripon: An Historical Anthology Gloucester Cathedral: Faith, Art, and Architecture: 1000 Years