Start by marking “A Fine Woman” as Want to Read:
A Fine Woman

A Fine Woman

Countess Helga Burbeck was German, rich, spoilt and as arrogant and bossy as hell. To her, the war was nothing more than an inconvenience on her shopping trips to Berlin. But when she is walking her dogs, Tirpitz and Bismarck, on the far side of her estate, she discovers something that changes her life forever.

Obersturmführer Meyer is an SS officer who works in the camp cl
Published (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Fine Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fine Woman

Jill
May 19, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
David George Richards has created a wonderful character in Helga Burbeck, a German countess who risks her life by smuggling Jews out of Germany during WWII. The pace is fast as you are swept into Helga’s life and the dire situations she finds herself in. You will also meet Captain Taylor who loves Helga and searches for her after the war. This is a superb and gripping novella. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Caroline Gerardo
Nov 30, 2011 Caroline Gerardo rated it it was amazing
Helga is a rather spoiled woman. She only worried for herself until she happens upon a group of children who have escaped a Nazi death camp. It might remind you of the Boy in the Striped Pajamas but with different twist and plot line. The story is fictional. The writing is well crafted and heartful. I recommend David George Richards writing and look forward to reading more.
Alone
Jun 16, 2012 Alone rated it liked it
Review from
Read that also

The book would have been quite a good read for me if I had not set my bars so high. But then, it is not entirely my fault. I was smitten by Countess Helga Burbeck , the bossy aristocratically lady. As the blurb of the book says, to her, the war was nothing more than an inconvenience on her shopping trips to Berlin. Her first introduction to the horrors of the war was skilfully portrayed. She starts smuggling children off to Paris. Everyone knows about it. She makes litt
Rachel
Sep 03, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: holocaust, women
This book was fine, but not special.

I disagree with some of the points that Richards makes in his foreword. For example, he claims that "[t]he British internment camps in Cyprus for Jews intercepted while attempting to reach Palestine are also little remembered today." Perhaps because of my background in Holocaust studies, I am familiar with many sources that detail life in these camps. Exodus, a blockbuster novel by Leon Uris and blockbuster movie starring Paul Newman and other big-name actors,
Tom
Oct 13, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
A rather short story, actually two in one. 1944, A German Countess whose father works in Berlin as a close aide to Adolph Hitler. Her home is next to a death camp. She finds four escaped children and is able to get them into France, to the underground and to safety. She is protected from the German SS due to her fathers position, and protected from the French by her smuggling information from her fathers office to them.

The second story 1948, an American Captain searching for the Countess, in a c
Barbara West
May 20, 2014 Barbara West rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

This work is well done. It is complete with historical facts and features, adventure, intrigue, danger, resolve and humanity at its best and worst. I read this in one sitting because I could not put it down. You will not be disappointed.
Joan
Jan 30, 2013 Joan rated it liked it
The story is mainly about Helga Burbeck, a German countess who smuggles Jews (mostly children) out of Germany during WWII. It is also a story about Helga’s life and how her haughty lifestyle drastically changes when she realizes the atrocities Hitler is imposing on the Jewish people in the death camps close to her mansion. She feels like an outcast from her own people and also from the Jewish people who hate the Germans because of what was going on at this time. There is a lot to this story that ...more
M f Kramer
Dec 20, 2014 M f Kramer rated it it was amazing
A fine woman

This book is very well done and I can relate to it through the history and era as it is written.,
Karen (Kew)
Apr 17, 2012 Karen (Kew) rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed reading this historical novella about a well-connected German countess who risks her life to save jews from the holocaust. It is told over two time lines - the first narrator is an american soldier who has fallen in love with the countess, and takes place a few years after the events; the second time line occurs during World War II. The story is exciting and gripping, with likeable believable characters. At times I was on the edge of my seat reading this.
Jen
Aug 08, 2012 Jen added it
Just finished this book, and would recommend it highly... (some reviews indicate this is a romance, which I don't understand at all... I would call it historical fiction.) Difficult subject matter, but definitely worth the read. I found this one as a free ebook for my Kindle.
Faydra D. Fields
May 13, 2013 Faydra D. Fields rated it really liked it
See my Grid review of "A Fine Woman" by David George Richards on the Independent Author Index: http://bit.ly/125W5AQ
Katie
Jul 21, 2013 Katie rated it did not like it
I thought this book was so poorly written, I couldn't get 30% of it read. It had a good plot, but that's as far as it goes.
Jacqueline
Jul 30, 2012 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
An excellent read, A German Countess helping 1ewish children escape from the camps. Interesting story right to the end.
Paula
Jul 31, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
German rich woman helped Jews as war starting. Enjoyable short read!
Lori Anderson
May 28, 2013 Lori Anderson rated it it was ok
just not that gripping.
Margie
Oct 07, 2012 Margie added it
Interesting.
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Mishe
Mishe rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Liz Plathe
Liz Plathe marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Kristine Zarcone
Kristine Zarcone marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Ruby Heinzelman
Ruby Heinzelman rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Nickie
Nickie rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Lezli B. Scott
Lezli B. Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Jacque Springer
Jacque Springer marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Thomas Wheatley
Thomas Wheatley rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Melissa Adkins Andrews
Melissa Adkins Andrews rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Tawny Wykstra
Tawny Wykstra rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Shadow of Reality (An Elizabeth & Richard Mystery #1)
  • The Belly Fat Diet: Lose Your Belly, Shed Excess Weight, Improve Health
  • Game on: Find Your Purpose--Pursue Your Dream
  • A Gangster's Melody
  • The Butterfly Legacy
  • A Fine and Dangerous Season
  • Dangerous Secret
  • Scorched (Turn Up the Heat, #1)
  • When the Heart Falls
  • Buried Pasts
  • Brave Fish: Identity, Love, Faith
  • Box Set: The Arrington Trilogy
  • The Long Shadow
  • Thicker Than Water (Blood Brothers, #1)
I was born in Manchester in the North West of England in 1957. Although I have moved around a bit, Manchester is still both my physical and spiritual home. I am a Northerner. I am also married to Rosanna, and have been since 1988. I have an imagination that began when I was very young and never waned. I also like reading and so it was no surprise I suppose when I started writing. Because I am an u ...more
More about David George Richards...