Start by marking “The Man from St. Petersburg” as Want to Read:
The Man from St. Petersburg

The Man from St. Petersburg

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  10,350 ratings  ·  432 reviews
His name was Feliks. He came to London to commit a murder that would change history. A master manipulator, he had many weapons at his command, but against him were ranged the whole of the English police, a brilliant and powerful lord, and the young Winston Churchill himself...
Published June 1st 2003 by Signet Book (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Man from St. Petersburg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man from St. Petersburg

Conta-me Histórias
Brilhante. Fantástico. Esplêndido. Maravilhoso. Uma obra-prima!
Adorei este livro que me fez lembrar os clássicos russos, quer pela história quer pelo brilhantismo da escrita. Durante a leitura não me saiu da memória Anna Karenine de Tolstoi, romance ao qual este se assemelha, sendo no entanto bem diferente.
Lydia, uma jovem aristocrata russa apaixona-se por Feliks, um jovem anarquista, mas a sua paixão é descoberta e o pai da rapariga enreda uma forma de os afastar de forma definitiva e drástica.
Ryan Butler
It was really good most of the time I couldn't stop reading the book. it was very suspenseful. It seemed like I couldn't read fast enough because I wanted to see what was coming next so bad. Also the cleverness and craziness of Feliks was making me smile a lot. He just always seemed to find the way out. The book got really interesting when Feliks found out two of his supposed to be family members were in the family of the person he was trying to assassinate. The whole structure of the book was ...more
Chandler
Ken Follett is a a prolific writer--not as prolific as James Patterson, but pretty close. Although prolific, Follett does not miss details or historical minutia. In this book, the Earl of Walden is convinced by Winston Churchill and King George to broker an alliance with Russia in 1914. Germany is creating swords out of plowshares and war appears eminent. It is crucial that Russia align itself with England.

The Earl of Walden's wife is from Russian aristocracy and her past is linked with a Russia
Filipa
aqui

Ken Follett é um dos grandes nomes do thriller e do romance histórico. Em qualquer destes dois géneros literários, o autor dá cartas com os seus livros cheios de acção e com informação histórica precisa e em abundância. A forma como ele mistura o facto com a ficção é também um dos seus grandes talentos. Pegando nos relatos históricos e naquilo que é conhecido, o autor pega em personagens fictícios e insere-os no universo histórico sem qualquer dificuldade, ao ponto de o leitor chegar a pensa
Dwayne
Bravo.

Have you ever found yourself rooting for an assassin? Well, fasten your seatbelts.

Follett has created a wonderful character in Feliks. He’s a lover of Alexander Pushkin’s literature, lover of culture, art and history – as well as a fabulous lover in bed – he bleeds passion for his love and for his cause. But Feliks is also a hardened criminal. Often misunderstood. Shipped to Siberia and tortured all because he fell in love with a girl of a higher social status.

Follett sets this tumultuo
Megan
Last year i read Pillars of the Earth, by Follett. I found that book to be somewhat course, but overall entirely captivating. It was a massive book, but i still managed to remain interested through the length of it. Someday i am going to read the sequel to that book. While looking for said sequel i happened upon this book, which was intriguing by virtue of being by an author i knew i found interesting, and by virtue of hitting on topics that draw my attention - Russia and political intrigue/spyi ...more
Ray Ziemer
Enjoyed this period thriller by Ken Follett. It fit right in with reading I've been doing on both Russia and WWI. Some of the plot details are a little fantastic, but because it's FOllett and he keeps things moving, the reader doesn't really have much time to sit and think about that. You just want to turn the page, read the next chapter, find out what happens next. What a talent!

He Sketches out some pretty good characters, not the least of whom is the anarchist Feliks, on a mission to assassin
Mike Bull
Ken Follet is such a strong author that most of what he touches turns to gold, and I wasn't disappointed by this book one bit. This is a historical novel, and although I feel I know quite a bit of World War I history, I learned a lot reading this book which is set just prior to the outbreak of war. In particular the suffragette movement in the U.K. is one of the themes in this book that shines through.
However this is a spy story, the story of a family, the story of people who are irresistibly dr
José Jorge
Mais um livro muito bom do Ken Follett. Apesar de o enredo ser bastante simples e um pouco previsível, as personagens e as descrições daquela época são simplesmente fantásticas.
Um coisa que achei curiosa foi por três vezes aparecer a palavra ónibus. Pensei que fosse um erro de uma má tradução, no entanto fui ao dicionário para ver se a palavra existia no português de portugal e realmente existe! Depois questionei-me do porquê de terem usado ónibus e não autocarro / camioneta. Então consultei a v
Cat {Wild Night In}
This is the first Follett novel I've read since The Pillars of the Earth so I was curious as to how well his style would work with a short thriller.

My goodness, was I thrilled. :) Read it in one sitting and have just put it down.

On one level there's anarchism and suffragism and political intrigue and on another there are several love stories or rather, ghosts of love stories.

Overall it was really enjoyable- I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some more of his stories- and I thoroughly rec
Julia Mukuddem
wow - i sooo enjoyed this book. i was on the edge of my seat (and my bed) - the suspense was there, all the time.

it was also an excellent story and well thought out. at times i suspected something, but soon after it was revealed, which i quite liked. i cannot bear it when i suspect something and it only happens at the end - so boring. with this one, there were surprises around every corner.

this is why ken follett is my favourite author.
Catarina
Não sendo bem o meu género de livros, consegui ler regularmente, demorando assim talvez uma semana.
Tem um tema engraçado, e o dilema do personagem principal é bastante intrigante.
No entanto deste autor já li melhor.
Zora
I had read this novel before, as it turns out, but as I've read of lot of mediocre books lately, it was pleasant to revisit a reliably good book. One thing I really like about the Follett spy novels of this era (1978-82) is how interesting the "bad" guys are. It is Die Nadel we remember (and can't help rooting for, at least a little, despite his pesky habit of shoving a stiletto into innocent people), Wolff far outshines the good guys in Key to Rebecca, and here, Feliks is also sympathetic.

(It
Daniel Bastian
Ken Follett spares not an ounce of genius in bringing his characters to life and weaving them together in electrifying narrative. His artistry is one that burdens the reader with sorting the protagonists from the antagonists, enriching each character's complexion and back story with such brio that you may just end up pulling for the whole lot to triumph as the novel winds to a close.

The Man From St. Petersburg is of course no exception, with Follett's tried and true, World War era-themed cat and
T.
This is my father's book, and my first Follett. I seem to be inheriting all of his paperbacks, whether he likes it or not :) When I was around 9 or 10, those years before I was a teenager, that is -- when I wasn't reading classics and children's books I was secretly rummaging around my mom and my dad's shelves. My mother likes romances, those big, bold covers with women's dresses almost bursting at the seams. I picked them up because of the bare-chested men and read them because, well, the sex w ...more
Seth V
I thought this book was very well written and more interesting in some parts more than others. The only reason this book was rated three stars by myself was because of how graphically romantic it can be at certain times. This made certain parts of the book seem extremely romantic and dramatic. These parts made it feel almost as if I was reading a bad soap-opera. Although this was slightly irritating to myself, some people may find it a very romantic thing to have in a war book like this.
Aside
Ricardo Serra

Depois de Sartoris de William Faulkner, uma leitura pesada, apática, sem chama e muito maçuda precisava de um livro que me incendiasse, de uma obra ligeira, de leitura ávida que me fascinasse ao primeiro capitulo e que me fizesse suspirar pelo parágrafo final.

Precisava de Ken Follet. Desesperadamente.

Confesso que não sou grande fã de policiais, nunca fui, aliás conheci Ken Follet com romances históricos, mas os seus livros são muito mais do que simples policiais. São obras fascinantes, plenas d
Nick
Mar 14, 2007 Nick rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anarchists, masochists
I've learned to always be extremely disappointed with Ken Follet. He establishes promising situations, but then he always lets you down. This book is no exception.

The eponymous character is pretty sufficiently complicated - he's been driven insane, first from a terrible love with a pretty lady who's pretty much unavailable, and then from being in a gulag. Then there's the pretty lady, who can't resist torrid animal sex with The Man (from St. Petersburg). And then she goes ahead and marries a bor
Charu Singh
The story is of the time before Germany and France went to war which later came to be known as the First World War. It revolves around how England allied with Russia to attack Germany when it has unleashed its lions on France. It involved a treaty which was facilitated by a conservative, the Earl of Walden and the prince of Russia's Czar, Orlov. The story line hugely focuses on the personal lives of the Walden family and the anarchist from Russia who wanted to kill Orlov and desired that the tre ...more
Haider Hussain
History, romance, suspense and a sentimental family-saga. Not something I haven't read before but, well, the writer is Follett and the result is a dramatic, gripping and swiftly unfolding story. On the other hand, some readers argued here that Man From St Petersburg is not one of Follett's best of works and that the plot is not very convincing. I tend to agree somewhat. Nevertheless, the story is very well-written and kept me hooked right through the end.

One final thought: The role of antagonist
Bruno
Uma história vibrante e interessante que me prendeu até às ultimas linhas do livro...

Apesar de haver politica a mais e acção a menos, em que a Inglaterra tenta construir uma aliança com a Rússia enquanto a Alemanha se prepara para a guerra, tem uma força fascinante que nos põe agarrado à história como um iman invisivel, ansiosos por saber o que acontecerá ao misterioso homem de Sampetersburgo, o anarquista russo que pretende matar um principe russo que se encontra em Inglaterra para negociações
Jeffrey
Sorry Ken..not your best and somebody ought to point that out to you.

Follet is a wonderful writer and storyteller. I normally love his books...yes, to a formula...damaged people with twists and turns...but we want to engage and I find he keeps me gripped and rooting for people.

Not this time.

Three chapters in I am...YES. YAWNING.

Do I care how the wretched man stole the gun...so I need ALL those pages...really....? Where was the editor of this book or are they afraid of Ken?

And instead of the usua
Amy
* Summary- His name was Feliks. He came to London to commit a murder that would change history. A master manipulator, ha had many weapons at his command, but against him were ranged the whole of the English police, a brilliant and powerful lord, and the young Winston Churchill himself. These odds would have stopped any man in the world-except the man from St. Petersburg.

* My comments- This was a pretty good read. I liked how the author explained the Russian connection to World War I and the dipl
Euldrago Johnson
"The Man From St.Peterburg is the tale of an anarchist assassinate a russian prince just before world war 1.Ken Follet wrote this book in 1982 and other spy thriller.This book to me is the best in my point of view.

The prince is on a diplomatic mission to convince Britain to support its effort to acquire some territory that would give it access to the mediterranean,since the Russian don't trust the Turks.They are scared of the german and they need to team up with another country.On pg.6 it say
Paula Dembeck
This is a Follett thriller published back in 1982. The setting is 1914 Britain as Germany is preparing for war, storing its gold and calling in debts. Britain is watching carefully, concerned about its ability to win without the help of Russia to open up a second front in Europe and thus diminish Germany’s resources by diluting a single point of attack.

In Britain, we are introduced to Lord Stephen Walden at his grand estate, Walden Hall. Along with his title Walden has several thousand acres in
Zézinha Rosado
Com esta obra Ken Follett vem provar-nos, uma vez mais, que é um grande autor.
Confesso que os primeiros dois capítulos do livro foram ligeiramente maçadores, com a descrição da possível aliança política entre dois países, com os prós e contras que essa aliança poderia envolver, etc.
Mas a partir do terceiro capítulo, com o envolvimento de toda a família de uma das principais personagens, a história começa a tomar um ritmo alucinante e tem um final deveras surpreendente.
Um livro muito bem escrito.
David
Ken Follet's books are cinematice experiences for the mind. He is adapt at telling stories that captivate and work the imagination. The scenes come to live and you care for the characters. This is my fourth or fifth book of his that I have read, and I was not disappointed. It grips you till the very end. Read it to find out why!
Adri
I am in two minds about this book. I did not like Feliks although I understand his feelings about war, its destruction, and the way innocents are made to fight wars on behalf of those in power. But I also dis not much care about Lord or Lady Walden. Charlotte, well I have empathy with her. Not one of KF's best, but still a good read.
Liz
  • Okinawa: The Last Battle of World War II
  • Icon
  • Last Night Another Soldier
  • Beautiful Assassin: A Novel
  • Deep as the Marrow
  • Texas by the Tail
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • The Scarlatti Inheritance
  • Tishomingo Blues
  • Berlin Game (Bernard Samson, #1)
  • A Thousand Suns
  • Fountain Society
  • Night Judgement at Sinos
  • The Honor of Spies (Honor Bound, #5)
  • Floodgate
Ken Follett burst onto the book world in 1978 with Eye of the Needle, a taut and original thriller with a memorable woman character in the central role. The book won the Edgar award and became an outstanding film.

He went on to write four more bestselling thrillers: Triple; The Key to Rebecca; The Man from St Petersburg; and Lie Down with Lions.

He also wrote On Wings of Eagles, the true story of ho
More about Ken Follett...
The Pillars of the Earth  (The Pillars of the Earth, #1) Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth, #2) Eye of the Needle Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2)