Start by marking “The Great Hangover: 21 Tales of the New Recession from the Pages of Vanity Fair” as Want to Read:
The Great Hangover: 21 Tales of the New Recession from the Pages of Vanity Fair

The Great Hangover: 21 Tales of the New Recession from the Pages of Vanity Fair

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  9 reviews

Vanity Fair presents 21 true stories of the new hard times

Where did all the billions go?

Commissioned by the editors at Vanity Fair magazine, The Great Hangover is an eye-opening collection of essays on the global economic crisis by fifteen of the most respected contemporary business writers in America, including:

Bryan Burrough (Barbarians at the Gate) on the atmosphere o
Published July 20th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Hangover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Hangover

Mark Ferguson
For the past year-and-a-half I've tried to understand what, exactly, happened to our economy in 2008, and though I picked up some useful information from a few select podcasts, radio shows, and newspaper articles, I could never quite get the pieces together in my mind.

This book cleared up almost all of the questions I had, and for that I would have given it 3 stars. The fact that almost all of the essays are well-written, engaging, focused on the personalities involved, and clear enough on the
Mark Desrosiers
I lost count after the seventh appearance of the word "schadenfreude" in these essays -- really, that's the tone of this collection, and why I enjoyed it thoroughly. Some of the essays here are duds -- a history-spanning puff piece by Niall Ferguson probably the worst offender, though Mark Seal's overstabbing of the Madoff empire's corpse (in three separate articles) also became very tedious. However, Michael Lewis is astounding and hilarious in his reports on AIG and Iceland, and Joseph E. Stig ...more
Jeffrey
The book's best feature is it's array of writers and the short punchy essays, however that is also it's weaker points. Unfortunately, the book starts of strongly, but it ends so poorly - almost falling into the standard Vanity Fair stereotype.

There are some outstanding essays - Michael Lewis (as always) and Bryan Burrough, if the collection had more like this it would easily be 5 stars.

The collection rapidly degenerates in Part Four: The Madoff Chronicles - where the articles appear no more than
Phoebe
This book is really good and totally suspenseful even though it's magazine reporting and thus somewhat out-of-date (nothing is inaccurate, I'm guessing, but we know a lot more now, to our horror). It's a really fast read, even if you don't skip the NY Times chapter because it made you sad the first time and the Harvard chapter because you can't be compelled to care again.
Anthony Xing
Some very good journalism. But if you are looking for an central thesis that the whole book argues, you will be disappointed. It's a collection of articles.
Vidhu Shekhar
Awesome books. Lewis tells the story from the ground of the countries mired in the recession. Would love to do such kind of travel :).
Magda
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great compilation of the different aspects of the events of the 2008 recession.
Dave Cornford
Essential reading, moslty accessable to non-financial types.
Steve
Feb 23, 2011 Steve marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
planet money michael lewis vanity fair
bankelele
bankelele is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2015
Amy Ko
Amy Ko marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Shari Julian
Shari Julian marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Cherie Beauton
Cherie Beauton marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
JoS
JoS marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Andrei Oprea
Andrei Oprea marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Srkal
Srkal added it
Feb 01, 2015
Kundan
Kundan marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Vanity Fair's Hollywood 100 years vanity fair Vanity Fair December 2009 Robert Pattinson/Twilight on Cover, Richard Avedon, Stephanie Seymour Living Nude, Malcolm Gladwell Explains Christmas, Liz Kabler/Sculptor, Second City, Steig Larsson, The Addams Family on Broadway Vanity Fair: September December 2014 Issue Vanity Fair Magazine (September, 2010)