Start by marking “The Great Hangover: 21 Tales of the New Recession from the Pages of Vanity Fair” as Want to Read:
The Great Hangover: 21 Tales of the New Recession from the Pages of Vanity Fair

The Great Hangover: 21 Tales of the New Recession from the Pages of Vanity Fair

Vanity Fair presents 21 true stories of the new hard times

Where did all the billions go?

Commissioned by the editors at Vanity Fair magazine, The Great Hangover is an eye-opening collection of essays on the global economic crisis by fifteen of the most respected contemporary business writers in America, including:

Bryan Burrough (Barbarians at the Gate) on the atmosphere of
Published July 20th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Hangover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Hangover

Mark Ferguson
Jan 21, 2010 Mark Ferguson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the past year-and-a-half I've tried to understand what, exactly, happened to our economy in 2008, and though I picked up some useful information from a few select podcasts, radio shows, and newspaper articles, I could never quite get the pieces together in my mind.

This book cleared up almost all of the questions I had, and for that I would have given it 3 stars. The fact that almost all of the essays are well-written, engaging, focused on the personalities involved, and clear enough on the
David
Contains Wall Street on the Tundra as quoted below.
Because Iceland is really just one big family, it’s simply annoying to go around asking Icelanders if they’ve met Björk. Of course they’ve met Björk; who hasn’t met Björk? Who, for that matter, didn’t know Björk when she was two? “Yes, I know Björk,” a professor of finance at the University of Iceland says in reply to my question, in a weary tone. “She can’t sing, and I know her mother from childhood, and they were both crazy. That she is so wel
Mark Desrosiers
I lost count after the seventh appearance of the word "schadenfreude" in these essays -- really, that's the tone of this collection, and why I enjoyed it thoroughly. Some of the essays here are duds -- a history-spanning puff piece by Niall Ferguson probably the worst offender, though Mark Seal's overstabbing of the Madoff empire's corpse (in three separate articles) also became very tedious. However, Michael Lewis is astounding and hilarious in his reports on AIG and Iceland, and Joseph E. Stig ...more
Carlito
Nov 12, 2015 Carlito rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally got to reading this book, although it's been wating for me for years.

Excellent stories and a very engaging read from the pages of Vanity Fair on financial and economy crisis of 2008/09.

It would be even more interesting to have some kind of recent collection on how the things went in the meantime, and to see if the predictions from some of those past stories on future of finance and economy came true and in what way.

However, as I've been reading Vanity Fair pretty regularly for the last f
Jeffrey
Jan 14, 2014 Jeffrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
The book's best feature is it's array of writers and the short punchy essays, however that is also it's weaker points. Unfortunately, the book starts of strongly, but it ends so poorly - almost falling into the standard Vanity Fair stereotype.

There are some outstanding essays - Michael Lewis (as always) and Bryan Burrough, if the collection had more like this it would easily be 5 stars.

The collection rapidly degenerates in Part Four: The Madoff Chronicles - where the articles appear no more than
Phoebe
Dec 11, 2011 Phoebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: u-s
This book is really good and totally suspenseful even though it's magazine reporting and thus somewhat out-of-date (nothing is inaccurate, I'm guessing, but we know a lot more now, to our horror). It's a really fast read, even if you don't skip the NY Times chapter because it made you sad the first time and the Harvard chapter because you can't be compelled to care again.
Dave Cornford
Jul 12, 2011 Dave Cornford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading, moslty accessable to non-financial types.
Anthony Xing
Oct 23, 2013 Anthony Xing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some very good journalism. But if you are looking for an central thesis that the whole book argues, you will be disappointed. It's a collection of articles.
Steve
Feb 23, 2011 Steve marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
planet money michael lewis vanity fair
Vidhu Shekhar
Apr 21, 2013 Vidhu Shekhar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome books. Lewis tells the story from the ground of the countries mired in the recession. Would love to do such kind of travel :).
Magda
Jun 07, 2013 Magda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great compilation of the different aspects of the events of the 2008 recession.
John Accardo
John Accardo rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2011
Ben Wharton
Ben Wharton rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
James Cobo
James Cobo rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Cristina Lombardo
Cristina Lombardo rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2014
bankelele
bankelele rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Teri
Teri rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2017
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Jen Liu
Jen Liu rated it really liked it
May 12, 2010
Donald Boyd
Donald Boyd rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2011
Michael Brenner
Michael Brenner rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Melissa Boudreault
Melissa Boudreault rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Segefter
Segefter rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Tom Blumer
Tom Blumer rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2010
Renae
Renae rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2011
Christopher Poindexter
Christopher Poindexter rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Talk Stories
  • Nonsense: Red Herrings, Straw Men and Sacred Cows: How We Abuse Logic in Our Everyday Language
  • Always on: Language in an Online and Mobile World
  • The Frugal Superpower: America's Global Leadership in a Cash-Strapped Era
  • Melbourne
  • Taming the Gods: Religion and Democracy on Three Continents
  • Democracy in What State?
  • Developing Products in Half the Time: New Rules, New Tools
  • John Neff on Investing
  • Twice Dead: Organ Transplants and the Reinvention of Death
  • A Book Addict's Treasury
  • The Rice Room: Growing Up Chinese-American from Number Two Son to Rock 'n' Roll
  • Seven Tenths: The Sea and Its Thresholds