Start by marking “First Landing” as Want to Read:
First Landing

First Landing

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  14 reviews
From renowned Mars visionary Zubrin comes his much-anticipated debut novel following humankind's first manned mission to Mars. The race is on, not to see who will get credit for the mission but who will survive.
Published July 1st 2001 by Ace Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about First Landing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Landing

Del
Pretty terrible, the dialogue isn't believable, often too stupid or simple, or worst case scenario too clever sounding. The decriptions are limited and don't give us much more decription of mars than we already assume. Not much originality in that department.
Matthew
Pretty awful in almost every way. The dude's a great engineer with a knack for selling his ideas to the public, but a novelist he most certainly is not.
Greg
Slightly fluffy, mostly predictable. Some of the science is sound, some just convenient. Light, but not distasteful science faction.
steven
Avoid books that have the following phrase on the back cover: "Yet somehow the crew must try to pull together." Recipe for disaster, that.
Rita Monticelli
Scroll down for the English version.

Una possibile avventura marziana

Definire questo romanzo fantascienza non sarebbe del tutto corretto, poiché la storia raccontata è realistica in ogni suo aspetto scientifico. Zubrin non si è inventato alcuna tecnologia che già non esistesse al tempo della scrittura di quest'opera, cioè più di 10 anni fa. Ciò fa di “First Landing” un'opera a metà strada tra il romanzo e il saggio, dove una storia di pura invenzione viene usata per fornire al grande pubblico dei
Glenn
"First Landing" is a quick reading no-brakes story (I devoured the 262 pages in a couple of sittings) about humankind's first landing on Mars that packs a shocker of an ending to boot. "First Landing" is the tale of a team of five Americans (three men and two women) that make the long the and perilous journey to Mars only to find themselves stranded by the vagaries of public opinion and a few nasty surprises. As a result they are forced to rely on themselves if they are to survive.
Wasting very l
Jess Michaelangelo
What a fantastic book! I have to admit, I was a little wary of it at first because science fiction isn't my usual type of read. Once I started reading, however, I was engrossed by the story that Zubrin presents his readers. The concept of sending astronauts to Mars is one that has sparked the imaginations of thousands of people, even more so the idea of finding life on Mars. This book was definitely a page-turner that held my interest throughout each and every page. The mere idea of being strand ...more
Bryan Boyd
enjoyed ready about the Mars direct program and a fictional version of how it could play out. at times, there was a little to much political nonsense. I understand, however, that this is the way of the modern world, especially as it pertains to NASA.
Edward H. Busse, III
NO SPOILERS!! This was a good, old fashioned, straight forward adventure story. The writing was excellent and it consistently put you in the action. The characters were well developed/defined and little was left to wonder…which was good. The description of Mars was excellent and it gave your mind's eye a good vision of what the planet might look and feel like. The science portrayed in the book was used aptly and described so the lay person could understand it. Although most of the story takes pl ...more
Tasilee
A novel where it's obvious that the author is not as intelligent as his subjects. It shows. 5 land on Mars for the first time. Sabotage prompts innovation and hard work. Ends with 2+1 stay and 3 return.
Christopher Nieman
This holds the distinction of being the worst Mars novel I've ever read, at least of the modern era. I don't think this book does a single thing well. It reads like pulp fiction: juvenile, stereotyped characters; old-school, potboiler plotting. Everything is amped up on full blast. Nothing is subtle. All it needs is a Scooby Doo villain at the end. This has none of the hallmarks of what Zubrin has been advocating for the last twenty years, and it even contradicts him at key points (an historian ...more
Susan
A great science fiction book set in the early 21st century. This exhilarating tale grabs you from the first pages as you wonder if the crew of the Beagle will be able to survive both the challenges of the environment and the internal conflict that occur when you put together this type of mission. It has been a long time since I actually got so involved in a story that I actually did a fist pump at a high point. This is a must read for anyone who loves Mars, space exploration or adventure tales.
Don Andrews
An excellent read! The story centers on the first Mars Landing, it is an interesting fiction. A thought provoking story that made me wonder why this has never been done. It is pointed out in the afterword that we have had the technical capability for years.
Andreas
Rather simplistic novel depicting a mission to Mars. Goes hand in hand with The Case for Mars. A fun light read if you are into the space program.

Pete
Pete added it
Dec 16, 2014
Kristy
Kristy added it
Dec 04, 2014
Rodent Rampage
Rodent Rampage marked it as to-read
Brittany Kay
Brittany Kay marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Viking Joe
Viking Joe marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Arto Bendiken
Arto Bendiken marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Jason Cooperrider
Jason Cooperrider marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Lana-Rae
Lana-Rae marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Case for Mars: The Plan to Settle the Red Planet and Why We Must Entering Space: Creating a Spacefaring Civilization How to Live on Mars: A Trusty Guidebook to Surviving and Thriving on the Red Planet Merchants of Despair: Radical Environmentalists, Criminal Pseudo-Scientists, and the Fatal Cult of Antihumanism Energy Victory: Winning the War on Terror by Breaking Free of Oil