Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)

Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin #8)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  4,761 Ratings  ·  243 Reviews
The local ladies all deem Mr John a wizard, so when Agatha finds a few grey hairs on her head, she makes a beeline for the handsome Evesham hairdresser. As well as sorting out her hair it soon becomes clear the charming man also has designs on her heart - but their future together is cut short when Mr John is fatally poisoned in his salon.
Published 2010 by Constable & Robinson Ltd (first published April 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Yvonne
May 11, 2015 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books go so fast…this one is #8 and I’m already finished. Like the previous books, this one picks up right where the last one left off. This would really make a great TV series. Very similar to Murder, She Wrote.

Agatha is horrified to discover she has a few gray hairs. She tries to color to take care of it on her own but when her hair turns purple, she knows she needs professional help. She is referred to Mr. John, known as the Wizard of Evesham. Mr. John fixes her hair but he also seems q
RebeccaS
Apr 07, 2017 RebeccaS rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin is a very complicated character. On the one hand, she is always worried about what others will think, how they will judge her, and how she can show them up. (Which to be fair to her, most of her village DOES judge everyone's moves, so she doesn't worry for no reason). But then on the other hand, she doesn't take any crap from anyone. If someone is rude to her or insults her, she can dish it right back and yell at them for it. I love her sass and her attitude, but it makes me sad wh ...more
Stuart Douglas
Apr 22, 2012 Stuart Douglas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really hate being disappointed in a book. Not that I don't get annoyed at a disappointing movie or album or whatever, but there's something particularly unexpected and irksome about a poor book from a trusted writer. Note - not a disaster from a favourite writer; that'd be a cause for real concern, not my current feeling of vague irritation. Don't get me wrong, this is not John Irving's descent from the majesty of 'A Prayer for Owen Meaney' to that dull one about tattooists (or, on a muscial n ...more
Una Tiers
Feb 18, 2012 Una Tiers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the earlier Agatha Raisin books with more thought put into the plot. I recommend it.
Nancy
Oct 02, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha is a never ending source of entertainment for me. From storyline to storyline she manages to get herself in one jam after another with pretty much the same outcome. Though that sounds redundant, MC Beaton makes the books entertaining and at times downright laugh out loud funny.

Agatha should never be left to her own devices, when she is bored things go from bad to “Oh, Agatha” very quickly. So when James is out of the country, Bill is on vacation and Charles is a bit stand offish, Agatha d
Angela Oliver
Agatha Raisin is a fun and easy romp - a good light read. The antics of this middle-aged woman are a real lark. These little mysteries are fast-paced and intriguing, with plenty of humour muddled in with the more serious issues and a few little misadventures tossed in for good measure. Agatha has mellowed a little since her earlier days in the Cotswalds, but she is still a stubborn and determined woman, with good legs and a number of male admirers.

This particular instalment deals with the fatal
Mikela
What rollicking good fun this book is as Agatha once again stumbles and bumbles her way to solving the murders of a blackmailing hairdresser and one of his victims. If only Agatha had as much luck with the men in her life that she has with solving crimes! Don’t expect a well thought out plot line or even clues that allow the reader to guess whodunit. This is just a fun, easy, quick to read cozy mystery. While each book stands on its own, you will get much more enjoyment from it if you embark on ...more
Dan
Oct 19, 2009 Dan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signal, didnt-finish
Was there supposed to be a mystery here? The book divides its time between inane factoids (details about the city, Agatha being catty about what restaurant she's eating at) and pointing out the main character's many faults. By the end of the first chapter I wanted to slap her, and it just got worse until I quit around chapter six.

In fairness I should note that I hadn't read the first N books in the series; it's possible I would have gotten more out of this book if I'd known these characters comi
Berit☀️✨
Oct 26, 2016 Berit☀️✨ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha find a gray hair, and immediately needs to get her hair done... she is recommended Mr. John, the hair wizard.... and he does her hair magnificently, the only problem is she needs to keep going back to him because she can't do it herself.... of course a little flirting begins, anything to distract Agatha from James... of course Mr. John soon ends up dead, and we all learn about the cutthroat world of being a hairdresser.....
Gerry
May 10, 2009 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amateur detective Agatha Raisin is at it again - much to the chagrin of police officer Bill Wong! With the help of an aristocratic friend she follows up a case of blackmail and murder, and despite a few false leads, eventually unveils the culprit. The love interest falters, as usual, throughout the very enjoyable novel with its delightful country setting.
Susan Webb
Apr 18, 2017 Susan Webb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I spend a lot of time wondering if I even like the main character, Agatha Raisin, then the other times I am thinking she is awesome! Such a moody woman, but she can solve a murder and sometimes she almost causes her own when she does!
Cliff
Mar 01, 2017 Cliff rated it it was ok
Another swift canter through the Cotswolds with that busybody Agatha Raisin. The books aren't bad, but to give more that 2* would be a discredit to many worthier books in the 3 -5* range
Gabby
Mar 18, 2013 Gabby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution says about this book: "anyone interested in a few hours' worth of intelligent, amusing reading will want to make the acquaintance of Mrs. agatha Raisin." Amazon.com says Agatha Raisin is an updated Miss Marple. I don't know what book those reviewers read, but it couldn't possibly be the same one I read. What I read was about a very rude, often obnoxious, know-it-all, middle aged woman who has way too much time on her hands, so occasionally she plays at being an a ...more
Penny
May 21, 2009 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
He was a hairdresser to dye for... The local ladies all deem Mr John a wizard, so when Agatha finds a few grey hairs on her head - and the rinse she tries at home turns her hair purple - she makes a beeline for the handsome Evesham hairdresser. And as well as sorting out her hair it soon becomes clear the charming man also has designs on her heart - but thier budding romance is cut short when Mr John is fatally poisoned in his salon. Once again Agatha finds herself embroiled in a murder case. Wa ...more
Sara
Dec 11, 2011 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, Cozy, Simple

The 8th in the series...

Spunky difficult Agatha Raisin just reminds me of someone and her antics seem like those of a gal twenty years younger. Agatha has lived her life alone, a lifelong spinster of sorts. Agatha doesn't understand men and spends much of her time consulting the preacher's wife, one tolerant lady indeed.

Agatha is a trouble magnet, so when a fabulous and attractive hairdresser catches her eye she decides to investigate him. A nosy busybody, she manages to be i
Ali
Apr 29, 2010 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wizard of Evesham is the 8th Agatha Raisin mystery, and with this one I felt she was back on form. James Lacey is away, and so it is baronet Charles Fraith who is Agatha's sidekick on this mystery. Poor old Agatha gets herslef into some scrapes, and makes more visits to various hairdressing establishments than I think I have made in 5 years. I was quite amused by how much of this book is set in Evesham, a less unremarkable place after all, it would be hard to find - a fact that is hinted at ...more
Emma
Mar 12, 2012 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The eighth in the series, another fun and easy read. This time Agatha visits a new hairdresser in Evesham when she discovers her first grey hairs and is amazed by the miracles he performs. However, not everyone is so keen on the wizard of evesham and, in the usual format, he ends up dead and Agatha decides to investigate. This time, she has no help from James Lacey who is away travelling, but instead her baronet friend Charles Fraith assists - if you can call it that! I always enjoy these, they ...more
Joanna
Jul 02, 2011 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can imagine Patricia Routledge portraying Agatha Raisin perhaps 20 years ago. She's getting a little old for the part now.
I am not reading these in order so this is before she opens her own detective agency. I had not read an Agatha Raisin in a while and I always find them refreshing somehow. The murderer was a surprise to me but mostly because the character was not even mentioned until a good way through the book.
A good read!
Stephen Lawton
Dec 10, 2014 Stephen Lawton rated it liked it
As usual over far too quickly but these are such fun as we watch Agatha go through a delayed adolescence and bumble her way through another murder mystery, this time accompanied by Sir Charles rather than James Lacy. Plenty of slapstick and of course lots of cups of tea with the ever calming Mrs Bloxly.
Janet Martin
Aug 04, 2016 Janet Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series of short amusing cozies has turned into a go-to collection for me, a bit of fluff that I look forward to. That said, this is probably the strongest mystery so far with Agatha at her best and worst.
Lynne
Feb 20, 2009 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Agatha Raisin books! Totally addictive and fun to read - they always have the knack of making me laugh, and sometimes this is exactly what's needed. An Agatha Raisin book a cup of coffee and some chocolate...or maybe a glass of wine!
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
5/6 The alarmed sleuth discovers her hairdresser and his clients are harbouring a dark secret.
Denita
Oct 20, 2014 Denita rated it really liked it
Another fun read.
Cyndi
Sep 09, 2016 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha is a strong, capable woman until a man shows up. Then all she can think about is him. Ugh.
Good story but cringe worthy in places.
Taunya
Jun 06, 2009 Taunya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Agatha Raisin for me. I love M.C. Beaton so I thought I'd give this series a try. I'm going to back and read previous ones so I get all the history.
Libbeth
Oct 20, 2008 Libbeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery, 2009
Enjoyed listening to this during the hours and hours it took to clean up the kitchen after the plasterers. Penelope Keith is a fantastic narrator.
Damaskcat
Mar 19, 2017 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin's friend Mrs Bloxby suggests she goes to see the hairdresser, Mr John, at Evesham as she has noticed a few grey hairs. Mr John turns out to be a very handsome and charming man.

Agatha is still smarting from her rejection by neighbour James Lacey so she responds to his flirting and when he invites her out for a meal she accepts with alacrity. But Mr John isn't all he seems to be and when he is poisoned there are rather a lot of suspects including Agatha herself.

I enjoyed this entert
Hope
Dec 27, 2016 Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these, even if they make it seem like 1 in every 5 Cotswolds residents is a crazed killer and the other 4/5ths of the population is just horribly unpleasant.
Kat Walter
Agatha goes to the salon one too many times and goes bald! Along with bumbling in murder.
Debbie
Mar 22, 2017 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha puts the A in amateur. Her vanity and man-crazyness wear thin on me. That being said, for an afternoons quick village mystery read, she is okay.
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Package (Mrs. Pargeter, #3)
  • Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)
  • Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Plays the Cook (Mrs. Jeffries, #7)
  • The Floating Lady Murder
  • Aunt Dimity's Death (An Aunt Dimity Mystery #1)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)