Start by marking “Little Miss Mary and the Big Monster Makeover” as Want to Read:
Little Miss Mary and the Big Monster Makeover

Little Miss Mary and the Big Monster Makeover

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Little Miss Mary receives an unwelcome visitor in the grotesque shape of a huge, hairy monster. However, instead of being petrified by the apparition, Mary decides to help the hideous beast by giving him a makeover. In the process, it is Mary who undergoes the biggest transformation.
Published March 19th 2007 by Next Line Publishing (first published March 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Little Miss Mary and the Big Monster Makeover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Miss Mary and the Big Monster Makeover

Jayne Hill
Apr 01, 2014 Jayne Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great story! Its audience is more directed at middle school grade level students. I think boys and girls would both enjoy this book if used in a read-aloud. The whole story is written in the form of a poem. I'm sure it's not easy keeping a formate while completely developing a story, so I applauded the authors. The digital version includes 3-4 illustrations per page that enhance the story, however the reader does not rely on the illustrations to comprehend the story. I enjoy ...more
Vanessa Gomez RDG
Apr 28, 2016 Vanessa Gomez RDG rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story begins with Little Miss Mary and her mother shopping. They clearly are a rich family and are able to afford luxurious items. They spend their days shopping and filling their cars. They then go home and Mary takes a nap. When she wakes up from the nap, a monster tries to devour her but she insults his looks. She decides to give him a makeover by bathing him, pampering him with skincare, hygiene and groom and trying on designer clothes. Although it does not go as planned, she believes t ...more
Alexis
This is not a book for a young child. However, I do think that older elementary and middle grade girls would get a kick out of it. (Maybe ages 8-11, as a quick read.) It's very funny, in the same vein as the Dear Dumb Diary series by Jim Benton and Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes (although it feels blasphemous to compare it to the genius of the second example). I could see myself reading this around the same time I read Rhymes as a child, and being amused. It also has lots of good vocabulary words ...more
Alice Yeh
May 26, 2011 Alice Yeh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meet Little Miss Mary, an eleven-year-old with a credit card in one hand and a designer purse in the other. Tired from a long day of shopping, she is awakened by a monster climbing out of her closet. His unkempt visage and terrible body odor prompt her to initiate a makeover for the endearingly clueless beast.

The book is written in comfortably rhythmic verse that flows smoothly from the tongue (so long as you are familiar with designer names). The beat was surprisingly consistent and the story m
Sarah Crawford
Feb 26, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one looked like something that would be so strange it would definitely worth reading. The whole thing is done as a rhyming poem with illustrations that are appropriate for the nature of the book. Mary, by the way, is only eleven and loves to go shopping.

If that part isn't funny enough the book gets to the main part which is laugh-out-loud funny when a monster tries to scare Mary but instead not only is she not scared but she wants to give him a makeover.

The humor continues. Really, really
Juliette
Apr 19, 2015 Juliette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this to my 8 year old son. We are not its target audience.
Maya Orama
Apr 24, 2013 Maya Orama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about this girl name Mary was tired of shopping and then she bought a bag and a pants and a shirt and a shoe and then she went a sleep and then a monster said boo and then Mary tack the monster a shower and then Mary cute the monster her and then mary cute the monster Toenails and then Mary polish his toenails and then The monster brush his teeth and then the monster look in the mirror and then Mary show him the teddy bear and then Mary put close on the monster and then the monster ...more
Hyacinth
Dec 31, 2013 Hyacinth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I laughed out loud as I read this over the top diva drama child book. This book was straight comedy. It dropped more designer names than the law allows and yet this girl/child/monster shows compassion in the end by proving she is not a beast at all. I know a few friends that would enjoy this book and they are not children at all, lol!
Shannon Renee
I'm being kind giving this a 2.

OK, this is a short little story I was going to use with my 1-3 kiddos. I'm glad I read it first. I didn't like the over all message (Greed is good and looking pretty is all that counts). I might use it with my middle schools who can get irony and maybe some giggles out of it, but very inappropriate for the target kids it seems to be aimed for.

YAY! another book finished off the e-reader (ibooks).
Cathy
Jun 03, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Cute children's story, in rhyme, about Mary who loves to shop. The monster who comes out of her wardrobe one night is perplexed to see that Mary isn't afraid of him. Instead, Mary is horrified at the "look" of the monster and decides to give him a makeover. Nice illustrations.
Michelle Silbersack
Jun 04, 2011 Michelle Silbersack rated it really liked it
I couldn't stop giggling as I read this story. Little Miss Mary loves to shop and when she is confronted with a big monster, she isn't so much afraid as she is horrified at his appearance. A little of this and a little of that, and no more scary monster!
Manuela
Dec 20, 2011 Manuela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Cute catchy rhymes - thus two stars. The moral of the story is none I would want to teach to children- or adults. Funny though bc u didn't get the sense the girl was a snob, just that she lived in a materialistic shallow non-reality.
Darlene
Sep 18, 2011 Darlene rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone but small children.
Recommended to Darlene by: An Amazon Kindle Freebie
This was so much fun! Not sure it is for younger children. But I agree with those who have said it is good for all ages. Very clever! This is going to stay in my Kindle for when I want a smile.
Jackie Fowler
Jun 05, 2011 Jackie Fowler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a cute and cleverly written children's book! For the adults, there's a lot of humor to entertain. Being a knitter, I especially liked the bit about counting sheep and Burberry sweaters ;-)
ShaRhonda
Oct 06, 2012 ShaRhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kaybrie
Fun book. A little old for my five year old. She asked a lot if times what different words meant. But she loved the rhyming and automatically picked up on it.
Chelsey Combs
cute but not for every child. I would suggest that most boys would not enjoy this book. Mary gives the monster a makeover and makes his monster life better.
Rachel
Dec 31, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really cute. At first the girl seems like a spoiled brat (because she is) but she finds a purpose in this charming children's book.
Vim
Not recommended for kids. The story is well written but I didn't like its context.
May 05, 2013 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome. Could be a kid's movie...
Carol
Oct 12, 2011 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute story, rhyming and illustrations.
Starla B
Renee
Renee added it
Jun 27, 2016
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Kendra
Kendra added it
May 23, 2016
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Andrea Smith
Andrea Smith rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2016