Little Miss Mary and the Big Monster Makeover

Little Miss Mary and the Big Monster Makeover

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Little Miss Mary receives an unwelcome visitor in the grotesque shape of a huge, hairy monster. However, instead of being petrified by the apparition, Mary decides to help the hideous beast by giving him a makeover. In the process, it is Mary who undergoes the biggest transformation.
Published March 19th 2007 by Next Line Publishing (first published March 7th 2007)

Brittany Bates
I'm being kind giving it a 2, and the only reason I'm doing that is because it was very well written. The story line, however, was another story. If you wish for your children to grow up to be shallow, greedy, materialistic little brats, then this is the story you should read them. This book gives the message that you are not good enough the way you are, but instead that you need cosmetics and nice things to make you better.
Jayne Hill
I thought this was a great story! Its audience is more directed at middle school grade level students. I think boys and girls would both enjoy this book if used in a read-aloud. The whole story is written in the form of a poem. I'm sure it's not easy keeping a formate while completely developing a story, so I applauded the authors. The digital version includes 3-4 illustrations per page that enhance the story, however the reader does not rely on the illustrations to comprehend the story. I enjoy...more
Alexis
This is not a book for a young child. However, I do think that older elementary and middle grade girls would get a kick out of it. (Maybe ages 8-11, as a quick read.) It's very funny, in the same vein as the Dear Dumb Diary series by Jim Benton and Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes (although it feels blasphemous to compare it to the genius of the second example). I could see myself reading this around the same time I read Rhymes as a child, and being amused. It also has lots of good vocabulary words...more
Alice Yeh
Meet Little Miss Mary, an eleven-year-old with a credit card in one hand and a designer purse in the other. Tired from a long day of shopping, she is awakened by a monster climbing out of her closet. His unkempt visage and terrible body odor prompt her to initiate a makeover for the endearingly clueless beast.

The book is written in comfortably rhythmic verse that flows smoothly from the tongue (so long as you are familiar with designer names). The beat was surprisingly consistent and the story m...more
Maya Orama
This book is about this girl name Mary was tired of shopping and then she bought a bag and a pants and a shirt and a shoe and then she went a sleep and then a monster said boo and then Mary tack the monster a shower and then Mary cute the monster her and then mary cute the monster Toenails and then Mary polish his toenails and then The monster brush his teeth and then the monster look in the mirror and then Mary show him the teddy bear and then Mary put close on the monster and then the monster...more
Hyacinth
I laughed out loud as I read this over the top diva drama child book. This book was straight comedy. It dropped more designer names than the law allows and yet this girl/child/monster shows compassion in the end by proving she is not a beast at all. I know a few friends that would enjoy this book and they are not children at all, lol!
Shannon Renee
I'm being kind giving this a 2.

OK, this is a short little story I was going to use with my 1-3 kiddos. I'm glad I read it first. I didn't like the over all message (Greed is good and looking pretty is all that counts). I might use it with my middle schools who can get irony and maybe some giggles out of it, but very inappropriate for the target kids it seems to be aimed for.

YAY! another book finished off the e-reader (ibooks).
Cathy
Cute children's story, in rhyme, about Mary who loves to shop. The monster who comes out of her wardrobe one night is perplexed to see that Mary isn't afraid of him. Instead, Mary is horrified at the "look" of the monster and decides to give him a makeover. Nice illustrations.
Michelle Silbersack
I couldn't stop giggling as I read this story. Little Miss Mary loves to shop and when she is confronted with a big monster, she isn't so much afraid as she is horrified at his appearance. A little of this and a little of that, and no more scary monster!
Manuela
Cute catchy rhymes - thus two stars. The moral of the story is none I would want to teach to children- or adults. Funny though bc u didn't get the sense the girl was a snob, just that she lived in a materialistic shallow non-reality.
Darlene
Sep 18, 2011 Darlene rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone but small children.
Recommended to Darlene by: An Amazon Kindle Freebie
This was so much fun! Not sure it is for younger children. But I agree with those who have said it is good for all ages. Very clever! This is going to stay in my Kindle for when I want a smile.
Jackie Fowler
What a cute and cleverly written children's book! For the adults, there's a lot of humor to entertain. Being a knitter, I especially liked the bit about counting sheep and Burberry sweaters ;-)
ShaRhonda
Fun book. A little old for my five year old. She asked a lot if times what different words meant. But she loved the rhyming and automatically picked up on it.
Chelsey Combs
cute but not for every child. I would suggest that most boys would not enjoy this book. Mary gives the monster a makeover and makes his monster life better.
Rachel
This book was really cute. At first the girl seems like a spoiled brat (because she is) but she finds a purpose in this charming children's book.
Vim
Not recommended for kids. The story is well written but I didn't like its context.
Alice Lovegood
Awesome. Could be a kid's movie...
Carol
cute story, rhyming and illustrations.
Starla B
This was very cute.
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Shailendra Prasad
Shailendra Prasad marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Beatriz Rodriguez
Beatriz Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Holly C.
Holly C. marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014