Start by marking “A Year in Lapland: Guest of the Reindeer Herders” as Want to Read:
A Year in Lapland: Guest of the Reindeer Herders

A Year in Lapland: Guest of the Reindeer Herders

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
As a young man American Hugh Beach went to live with the Saami reindeer herders of Swedish Lapland. His lyrically written and very personal story of trying to fit into the herding way of life is a rare insider s account of the Saami. In a passionate and informed Afterword to this new edition of the book, he revisits his old friends and looks at how Sweden is attempting to ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by University of Washington Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Year in Lapland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Year in Lapland

Jessica Nilsson
Feb 05, 2016 Jessica Nilsson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Such a wonderful book! Before I started I thought it would be so-and-so, full with facts, but a bit dull. I was wrong! Sure, it teaches you a lot about Saami and their life, their reindeer-herding etc, but it's written in such a "bright" way. I read it for my studies, but it has now become one of my favorite books, and it is well worth reading simply for enjoyment. To follow Hugh and his Saami friends gave me much laughter. Also tears from losses, and pain in my heart for their struggles. This b ...more
jack
fantastic. made me feel like i was at home away from home.
Heather
Dec 30, 2008 Heather rated it it was ok
This is an engaging read, but one where you really see the author is searching for an experience to match his idea of what Sami culture is. This is a weakness with people researching things they love - their preconceived view of that thing may not be what that thing truly is and so is a flawed lens.

The details about how the homes are set up and the way people interact is romanticly beautiful and there are useful and practical descriptions of things like how to fish.

It's a snap shot of a certain
Leslie
Mar 17, 2008 Leslie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jean
This is a great book for anyone wanting to learn a little more about an area of world that is untraveled by most Americans. I found the writers words to efficient yet not cause for ennui. Just like the Swedes. He describes his account of traveling through Swedeish Lapland over one summer in the 70's while tracking reindeer.
Chris
May 30, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
I read this because I was a big fan of his brother's books and was pleasantly surprised. It made me want to spend time with the Lapps. Farley Mowat is the only other author of this genre that is this good that I have read.
Emily
Aug 19, 2010 Emily rated it it was ok
Interesting read, but skipped through the parts and photos about killing animals. Otherwise a decent book and informative about the Sami culture.
Daniel
Sep 11, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it
The writings of the author gave me a better insight of the living and working by the Sami people.
Weavre
OST NON-FICTION ADULT STK 305.89 BEA
Suzie Fox
Suzie Fox marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Robin Brooks
Robin Brooks rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Jocelyn
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Nathan Zorndorf
Nathan Zorndorf marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Crow Bait
Crow Bait marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Susan B
Susan B rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Haley
Haley added it
May 20, 2015
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Milja
Milja marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Micaela Muldoon
Micaela Muldoon marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Jason Linden
Jason Linden rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Bonnie Gruenberg
Bonnie Gruenberg rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Lisa L
Lisa L marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
John Tveter Jr.
John Tveter Jr. rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2014
Noye
Noye marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Lesley Thomas
Lesley Thomas rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014