Start by marking “Get Back in the Box” as Want to Read:
Get Back in the Box

Get Back in the Box

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  100 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
On a landscape that seems to be transforming itself with every new technology, marketing tactic, or investment strategy, businesses rush to embrace change by trading in their competencies or shifting their focus altogether. All in the name of innovation.

But this endless worrying, wriggling, and trend watching only alienates companies from whatever it is they really do best
Unknown Binding, 336 pages
Published December 13th 2005 by HarperBusiness (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Get Back in the Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Back in the Box

Nick
Dec 10, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing
The title caught my interest because it runs contrary to conventional wisdom. Companies can stray so outside their core competencies that they loose them altogether. Rushkoff sort of comes off like a Zen master of business strategy, but that is fine. The book is pretty diverse in its topics while also tying them together. It also tightly wraps up concepts of multiple business books without having to devote and entire book to them. I really enjoyed it. I know it has shaped my thinking on since re ...more
Martyn Lovell
Feb 09, 2015 Martyn Lovell rated it it was ok
Douglas Rushkoff's business advice book focusses on a central theme that business spend too much time and energy trying to solve their problems by doing other unexpected things rather than just doubling down on doing their core business well.

The book starts well, with a thumbnail sketch of a bad business book - disaster, solution, case study, case study, repeat ad nauseam. This opening immediately disposed me well to the book because I have read and failed to respect or enjoy several books in th
Rachel
Jun 18, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book is like a flame on a gas stove, and my brain is like a shiny new pack of Jiffy Pop. For the first few chapters, I was interested, curious. Midway through I could hear the popping in my head, steady and strong. Now I'm done and I don't know what to do with all the popcorn.

OK, OK I'm pushing the simile to its limits, but you get the drift. This is an idea book and it's a few years old, but that only made the call to action more urgent because it's not happening yet, not in the widesprea
Keri
Apr 03, 2011 Keri rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a really good book with a lot depth and a lot of great ideas. Unfortunately, it just doesn't feel like enough people are "getting back in the box." As we have become a society that is absurdly wrapped up in the "me" attitude, our creativity, happiness, and sense of self has become distorted and dull. Too many people still operate by the us-versus-them mentality, too many people define themselves through their materialistic gains and their individual successes. Douglas Rushkoff explores ...more
Lily
Oct 06, 2007 Lily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who like innovation, business and FUN.
Reminded me of the way we should live our lives, and how the next wave of business should be run. Of why social entrepreneurship etc is so profitable. etc.

first chapters were harder to get through, but the rest feels great.

I've heard many ideas before, but it's put together in an interesting way.
Alanmoorenz
Mar 25, 2013 Alanmoorenz rated it it was amazing
I can't think of anybody who shouldn't read this book. As someone who spends most of his time outside the box I wish everyone else would get back in it and sort it out rather than trying to be with me!
Brian
Sep 17, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rushkoff wants us to know how we great we can be, if we only learn to know ourselves. As always, the writing is fast, fun and a great balance of readable and informative. Optimistic and inspiring.
Kenneth
Nov 16, 2008 Kenneth rated it liked it
A fun book with views on how companies go wrong when they try to be something they are not.
Mark Fallon
Dec 18, 2007 Mark Fallon rated it really liked it
Advise on how to flourish in the ongoing renaissance.
Daniel Cunningham
Daniel Cunningham marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Krista D
Krista D marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Glen Ritschel
Glen Ritschel marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Justin O'Beirne
Justin O'Beirne marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Chadi Nanaa
Chadi Nanaa marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Brad Soroka
Brad Soroka marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Dovydas Ceilutka
Dovydas Ceilutka marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Abderrahmane
Abderrahmane marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Nuno Umbelino
Nuno Umbelino marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Brie
Brie marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Ramprasad Rajendran
Ramprasad Rajendran marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Lhl
Lhl added it
Jan 01, 2016
Kevin Chuang
Kevin Chuang marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
  • Against Intellectual Monopoly
  • Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: The Demise of 20th Century Selling & the Advent of Helping Clients Succeed
  • Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing the World for Success and Influence
  • Self-Healing with Reiki: How to Create Wholeness, Harmony & Balance for Body, Mind & Spirit
  • The Hungry Scientist Handbook: Electric Birthday Cakes, Edible Origami, and Other DIY Projects for Techies, Tinkerers, and Foodies
  • Do You Talk Funny?: 7 Comedy Habits to Become a Better (and Funnier) Public Speaker
  • Networking Is Not Working: Stop Collecting Business Cards and Start Making Meaningful Connections
  • What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Managing for Results
  • Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense: Profiting from Evidence-based Management
  • Scoring Points: How Tesco Continues to Win Customer Loyalty
  • You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar : The Sandler Sales Institute's 7-Step System for Successful Selling
  • Artful Making: What Managers Need to Know about How Artists Work
  • Value Migration: How to Think Several Moves Ahead of the Competition
  • Simulation and Its Discontents
  • Manhood of Humanity
  • Success Through Failure: The Paradox of Design
  • Genesis of a Music
Douglas Rushkoff is a New York-based writer, columnist and lecturer on technology, media and popular culture.
More about Douglas Rushkoff...