Start by marking “A Wise Birth: Bringing Together the Best of Natural Childbirth and Modern Medicine” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The authors of the acclaimed A Midwife's Story explore the issues that influence the way women give birth: technology, psychology, culture, medications and history. They demonstrate that most hospitals aren't designed to bring out the wisdom of the body at birth and reveal how to find a setting that will help make your child's birth a healthy and powerful experience.
Published June 1st 2007 by Pinter & Martin Ltd (first published May 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about A Wise Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wise Birth

Ethan
I'm so glad my wife picked this up off the shelf while we were at the library. Of all the books on birth I've read (which before January was zero...and is now steadily growing) this gives the best intro to home birth and why it makes such a difference to NOT be in the hospital (if you are low risk). What she shares just made sense to me, it resonated with my understanding of people and life.

I think one of the things I like best is that it is, in part, a chronicle of her journey of understanding.
This book combines birth stories with explanations of the history of childbirth in the US as well as ways it needs to be improved. I read this in preparation for my own home birth and found it very helpful in preparing and understanding the process.
Elisabeth
Two midwives wonder why Amish women tend to birth with less pain and complications than the typical American woman. As they search for the answer, they share their views of how the current medical culture in America has neglected the natural and human dynamics of birth. Informative and thought provoking.
Mugsymkelly
This is an amazing book that encourages natural childbirth and discusses a lot about the history of medicalized birth. Very informative but written in story format based on the authors' personal experience as midwives, mainly to the Amish community.
Robin Ferguson
A wonderful book for Moms to be or anyone who has or yet to have a birthing experience. I read this book because John's daughter is pregnant and wants to have a natural birth. Made me in awe of Ruby all over again.
Martha
Not as good as their first. Offers up a problem, discusses it, and never really draws any conclusions or offers a solution. A bit disappointing, but still worth the read if you are interested in the subject.
Liz S.
Outdated in its presentation of obstetrics and typical hospital births, but I like the anthropological take on medicine and homebirth (i.e., they are both specific cultures) that underlies her argument.
Allison
Oh, wow. Very, very interesting. A time capsule in the American story of women's health (though I fear it is all too relevant today . . . but I wouldn't know).
Delona
Would be great if all obstetricians read this book.
Jesse Paff
Jesse Paff marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Nicole Thompson
Nicole Thompson marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
elizabeth
elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Mae
Mae marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Ashley Cassidy
Ashley Cassidy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Marc Incitti
Marc Incitti marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Penny Armstrong has delivered over 1,800 babies and enjoyed a 25 year career in nurse-midwifery including teaching and practice in home, hospital and birth centers.

She and her husband Rich currently live and work in their home state of Maine where she counsels people on living healthy lifestyles.

(from http://www.pinterandmartin.com/penny-...)
More about Penny Armstrong...
A Midwife's Story What Teachers Expect in Reform: Making Their Voices Heard Amish Perspective a midwife s story A Life in Medicine: A Literary Anthology