Start by marking “A Wise Birth: Bringing Together the Best of Natural Childbirth and Modern Medicine” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  49 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This work is an informative exploration of the politics behind modern child-birthing strategies. This thoroughly researched and well written volume explores the multitude of issues that can influence the way women give birth in modern society. A Wise Birth makes a detailed examination of all the main areas of influence, from different cultural backgrounds, medical historie ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Pinter & Martin Ltd (first published May 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about A Wise Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wise Birth

Ethan
Aug 19, 2011 Ethan rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I'm so glad my wife picked this up off the shelf while we were at the library. Of all the books on birth I've read (which before January was zero...and is now steadily growing) this gives the best intro to home birth and why it makes such a difference to NOT be in the hospital (if you are low risk). What she shares just made sense to me, it resonated with my understanding of people and life.

I think one of the things I like best is that it is, in part, a chronicle of her journey of understanding.
Jayme
Mar 22, 2015 Jayme rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: a birth partner
i couldn't get through this. it is informative about natural childbirth but there is a lot of negative information about the more recent history of childbirth in the book. this might be a better book for a birth partner or for a woman who is not pregnant.
Feb 16, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book combines birth stories with explanations of the history of childbirth in the US as well as ways it needs to be improved. I read this in preparation for my own home birth and found it very helpful in preparing and understanding the process.
Elisabeth
Jan 14, 2012 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Two midwives wonder why Amish women tend to birth with less pain and complications than the typical American woman. As they search for the answer, they share their views of how the current medical culture in America has neglected the natural and human dynamics of birth. Informative and thought provoking.
Mugsymkelly
Aug 27, 2008 Mugsymkelly rated it liked it
This is an amazing book that encourages natural childbirth and discusses a lot about the history of medicalized birth. Very informative but written in story format based on the authors' personal experience as midwives, mainly to the Amish community.
Robin Ferguson
Apr 21, 2013 Robin Ferguson rated it liked it
A wonderful book for Moms to be or anyone who has or yet to have a birthing experience. I read this book because John's daughter is pregnant and wants to have a natural birth. Made me in awe of Ruby all over again.
Martha
Mar 27, 2008 Martha rated it it was ok
Not as good as their first. Offers up a problem, discusses it, and never really draws any conclusions or offers a solution. A bit disappointing, but still worth the read if you are interested in the subject.
Liz S.
Outdated in its presentation of obstetrics and typical hospital births, but I like the anthropological take on medicine and homebirth (i.e., they are both specific cultures) that underlies her argument.
Allison
Nov 18, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
Oh, wow. Very, very interesting. A time capsule in the American story of women's health (though I fear it is all too relevant today . . . but I wouldn't know).
Delona
Apr 03, 2009 Delona rated it really liked it
Would be great if all obstetricians read this book.
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Karen Miller
Karen Miller rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Sarah added it
Apr 04, 2016
Eric Lyman
Eric Lyman is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Colette
Colette rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Sascha
Sascha marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Kyla Wong
Kyla Wong marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Jemma Slack
Jemma Slack marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Carmen
Carmen rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
Elyse Stoedter
Elyse Stoedter marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Jesse Paff
Jesse Paff marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Nicole Rae
Nicole Rae marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Penny Armstrong has delivered over 1,800 babies and enjoyed a 25 year career in nurse-midwifery including teaching and practice in home, hospital and birth centers.

She and her husband Rich currently live and work in their home state of Maine where she counsels people on living healthy lifestyles.

(from http://www.pinterandmartin.com/penny-...)
More about Penny Armstrong...