Submission (Deviations, #1)

Submission (Deviations #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,883 ratings  ·  185 reviews
Tobias is a skilled Dom and Noah is a man in need of just that. He wants to sub badly, but has yet to find someone he believes in. Through a series of encounters in the world of bondage and discipline, we learn why Noah has trouble trusting, and why Tobias is reluctant to let himself love. Still, Tobias can't resist Noah's charms, and the two of them set about making a sce...more
Published February 14th 2006 by Torquere Press (first published 2006)

TheFountainPenDiva
As a sub-genre of erotica/erotic romance, BDSM-themed novels are all the rage these days. One doesn't have to look too hard to find salacious covers with leather-clad hunks and corset-cinched goddesses holding whips and handcuffs. Like all popular genres of fiction, it's become pretty damn near difficult to find the gems, the books written by people who either know the scene firsthand or who care enough to thoroughly research the lovestyle in order to present it as another form of healthy sexual...more
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
Just finished re-reading this book..

Tobias and Noah are like the cutest and most adorable couple ever :')
I love them, their story, this book and the rest of the characters.. this is totally my favorite MM series!!!

description

They are like asdfghjkl!! I want to smooch both their faces off! They are like prefect together!! :D
Beth
This is one of the most boring erotic novels I've ever read, primarily because neither of the characters is more then a cardboard cutout. I didn't care about either of them or have any insight into their thought processes or motivations, so it was like reading about objects moving around a board. This is basically how the book goes:

1. Let's talk about what we're about to do.
2. Let's have some really boring sex (clinical, but not pervy-hot clinical - it's more like "I am looking to get this react...more
Gina
Nov 07, 2013 Gina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gina by: Tina
Shelves: bdsm, m-m, favorites
I have read a number of BDSM books at this point and have loved them all in varying degrees. And while all of them were about two (or three hehe) men finding love ultimately, this one was different for me. This book delved deeper into the need these men have to live in this lifestyle. My first impressions as I read this book was how “business like” it felt between Noah (the sub) and Tobias (the dom). In fact I was starting to wonder when “love” was going to make it’s way into this story. But, th...more
Jason Huffman-black
This book would have received a far higher rating if it had been merely compared to others within its genre. Although the conversations felt stilted and the characters seemed to have a limited range of emotional reactions, I became invested in both the characters' lives and the eroticism. I'm impressed with the authenticity on the subject matter.

I admit this is my first m/m erotica novel so I may be judging it far too harshly.

I will be reading the second book in this series and find myself loo...more
Macky
REVIEWING FOR BOYS IN OUR BOOKS... REVIEW AND RATING TO COME SOON
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
The first half of this I just didn't get the draw that everyone talks about with the series. I thought it was kind of cold and clinical. I didn't see any of the emotion and it seemed very flat. Sort of like watching a show about surgeon's that's a documentary vs. watching a drama about surgeons. Although the documentary is interesting it wouldn't normally make me overly connective with the characters. The second half of the book redeemed it greatly - I got much more connected and invested in the...more
ElaineY
I bought all three of the Deviations series but after reading (not finished), the other two went to the bottom of my ebooks TBR list. While I like the writing, it wasn't my type of story. The BDSM scene doesn't interest me first of all and Deviations is entirely focused on the Lifestyle and the people involved in it.

I prefer a romance that's not just character-driven but plot as well and the the BDSM Lifestyle shouldn't be the main feature, which it is in these books.

If you like BDSM themes then...more
LauraZu
5 BEST BOOK EVER STARS!!

Tobias watched Noah's skin break suddenly into goose bumps, followed by a warm blush. Anticipation was a lovely, if brief, moment.

I never, never thought I was going to enjoy this so much. Now, I'm completely obsessed with Tobias and Noah.

Tobias is a Dom renown in the community, Noah is a man that needs someone just like Tobias, a Dom able to bring even the most hesitant sub around, he wants to give himself completely but has yet to find someone that can take him where h...more
Awilk -never sleeps-
I really liked this book. I wasn't sure that the subject matter was something I would like, but I definitely did.
Tobias and Noah were great characters, and I adored some of the secondary characters as well. I read this in one sitting, and then and downloaded the next two books. Chris Owen has a new fan-girl in me. I really appreciated the writing style, and how these wonderful characters are being true to their natures, without having to give them terrible scared childhoods or something similar...more
Dreamer
Hurrah, finished this, quite pleased it ended 63% through on my kindle, it was getting on my nerves. Tobias keeps calling his sub: pet, boy, baby and sweetheart, Noah is a cop for god's sake!

Also Noah's subservience reminded me of Paul Whitehouse's catchphrase from 'The Fast Show' (called 'Brilliant' in the US): 'suits you, sir'..

"So hot, sir!... Hard to breathe, need to, need it, sir, please, please!"

Yuk!
Shelley
This was okay, I think.

You see, I read it last week and I can't remember the characters names or the basic plot line. So uhm, it couldn't have been entirely memorable then. I'm not being facetious at all, I really can't recall this one. Sorry about that :/

Oh wait, there's a vet and a policeman - it's coming back to me now. But nothing really angsty happens, its just a formulaic BDSM thing. Not terribly exciting.

Easy reading.

Forgettable reading.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ #teampain member
I'll admit I was a tad skeptical through the first few chapters of this what with all the Tobias hero worship. But, I pushed on read through another couple conversations, a scene & it wavered, a couple more conversations & a scene or two & it was gone. I drank the Kool Aid. Tobias walks on water.

"I’ll always speak to you if you need it. I’ll always speak the truth. When I’m silent it’s for you to learn from, not a punishment."

Tobias embodies what most would want in a dominant. He's...more
Camilla

So here's the deal..

I always end up reading these BDSM books.. And I always end up rolling my eyes, while reading them, thinking: Seriously? and But whyyyy???

And for some reason I always end up giving them plenty of stars.. And I have no fucking idea why!!

There were sooo many things in this book, which went against all the things I dont like about these books.. Like the fact that Tobias the Dom, told Noah the Sub, that this was all about Tobias' feelings and his needs.. Grrr.. That is my bigges...more
Jenni
Submission is the story of Tobias, a Dom, and Noah, his would-be sub. Tobias has been without a sub for a while, and Noah can't seem to find the right Dom to fit his needs. The two men meet at a BDSM club and so begins their relationship.

This book started off great! The MCs are likable, and we get enough of their backstory and interaction between them and other characters to connect with them.

The BDSM factor is very light in this book, although the men do "play." I thought it was one of the mo...more
Nichole (Dirty H)
This was my April m/m group pick-it-for-me selection.

I had actually started this ages ago and it didn't ever grab me, but I was willing to give it another chance for the challenge.
I ended up liking it and I will probably read the rest of the series, but I didn't really love it. Partly because I like my BDSM to be a little (a LOT) edgier than this. This just didn't pack the punch that I'm normally looking for from this type of book.
I was also a little frustrated/irritated with all the talking. Ev...more
Nic
This book is a great start to the series. I hope the series continues this way. The characters are unexpected, at least to what I was expecting! Tobias and Noah work wonderfully well together A great book in this genre.
Em
I loved this book and am looking forward to getting started on the next one. Really enjoyed the growing relationship between Noah and Tobias and can't wait to see what they get up to next.
Mtsnow13
Finished this last night.. Its a buddy read, and I have figured out these are better to read on a Friday, rather than starting on a Sunday, as then I might not be so tempted to stay up all night to finish!

Interestingly enough, I have had this series on my tbr shelf for a couple years, and if it hadn't been for the Buddy read incentive, they may have stayed there a while longer. Don't know quite why I resisted, as I enjoyed Chris Owen's other works.. but hey, I've started it now :)

As a whole, the...more
Star
Decent book, okay for anyone who is new to this genre. If I was just finding my way and stumbled upon this book and it was my first experience I may would've enjoyed it more. I read all 345 pages of my version and I was waiting for something to happen. Some plot, conflict, growth, or character development. Around page 300 the jealous towards a past lover I thought was going to introduce some drama, but no.

Nothing really happens in this book.

A Dom who everyone knows and seems to want, tho we ha...more
❂ Endless
That... was a weird ending...or maybe it was for me 'cos I don't care for open endings of books with sequels. Even if it's going to have sequels, I like a book that can stand on it's own with a proper ending.

With that out of the way... This book was hardcore BDSM with walking to heel and doing mundane tasks as part of submission, etc. It was well written for the most part but I didn't really care for the role play. The sex was scorching hottt...

All in all, it was nice (if I ignore the abrupt end...more
TJ
After reading Chaos Magic, my absolute hands down fave BDSM book, this was kind of a let down. I absolutely adored Noah. The Dom, Tobias, came across as a little bit... I dunno. A little bit not the Dom (Hector. Oh, Hector) from Chaos Magic. And don't even get me STARTED on Phan. I already have been told where this series is headed, and the reading masochist that I am will most likely finish it. Sometimes even a reader likes to get spanked a bit, even if it's not the way he'd hoped.
Rida
Yes! One of the very rare books that gives equal measure to a Dom's state of being, history and development. Heavens, the Dom is human! Very refreshing after so many BDSM books that seem to be, if not entirely, then mostly, focused on the sub.

I look forward to reading the three other books in this series.
Natasha
The only reason I'm putting this here is because I kind of lost interest half way through. I'll come back to it and finish it at a later date, so I'm not giving it a star rating yet because I was really enjoying it, I apparently just have a short attention span.
Jenre
Fantastic BDSM D/s book. A big thank you to all those who recommended this to me. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Elizabetta

I’d call this BDSM 101 -- that’s the plot in a nutshell -- how a really good D/s partnership can benefit and enhance the lives of two people who are so inclined. Noah needs and has been searching for a firm, trustworthy hand and Tobias is a dom-artiste with a need to control. Both are likable and interesting characters as we get to know them, the layers pealing away slowly.

What has me confused in Submission is how the authors choose to deliver the story. There is a curious formality...more
Beck
So I originally read this book last year & my intention was to read the series then review the series as a whole ... by the end of book two, I was disinclined to continue & decided to take a break & re-read the series at a later date ... on a side note, the reason I didn't review the books individually, was because they are really not stand-alone books therefore their co-dependency would be reflected in the review ... I finished this book, for the second time, today & I'm really...more
Minh
I feel the need to make a strong case for this series. It's hard to write a fragmented review for each novel as they all link together to form one whole story. I was delighted when my previous review on the series scored a comment from Jody Payne herself! Nearly fainted when I saw that in the inbox :D. But I'll include my initial review here;

I... really liked this series. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know, simply because I don't know anyone who enjoys this type of genre. It was inten...more
JR
Apr 17, 2014 JR rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the subject in the context of love
In my opinion this is a brilliant book. I feel it takes a subject that only a few know intimately, gives it a heart, a mind and a soul. Instead of showing the reader what might be a sideshow of scary implements,or scenarios of torture, it reveals the depth of trust and love between a Dom and a Sub.

Tobias is the Dom of Doms, considered the best at what he does. Into his world, comes Noah, a police officer with a deep need to be a sub. Noah has had some terrible experiences, that have left him...more
Heather
I had a hard time deciding between 3 or 4 stars. But, overall. I want to read the next book, so I gave it 4.

But, what the heck! That ending was, good gravy abrupt. Just when it was starting to get good.
I feel like this is going to be one of those series where the characters grow on you until you've hit the last book and your sad to see it go.

There is so much more to Tobias and Noah. I feel like we've only touched the top of this iceberg.
They are kinda cold and slow as far as relationships go...more
  • Bound and Determined
  • A Russian Bear (Russian Bear, #1)
  • Bound: Forget Me Knot
  • Found (Hammer, #3)
  • Uneven
  • A Strong Hand
  • Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2)
  • A House of Cards: Deconstructing Ethan (The Forbidden Room, #2)
  • Rough Canvas (Nature of Desire, #6)
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • Switch
  • The Elegant Corpse
  • Under Contract
  • Power Exchange (Power Exchange #1)
  • Forever (From Thirty Days to Forever, #2)
  • Bound To Please
  • Some Kind of Stranger (Blue Ruin, #1)
I live and write in eastern Canada, where the winds blow cool and calm on the good days, wicked and fast on the bad. There's rain and sun, and in the winter there's snow... a lot of snow. A nice fire to keep warm, a nice pen with good flow, and a decent notebook are all that I really require. Which is not to say that the MacBook Air isn't the best thing eve.. I went to a bunch of schools, learned...more
More about Chris Owen...
Bareback (Bareback, #1) 911 (911, #1) Natural Disaster (Bareback, #2) Domination (Deviations, #2) Discipline (Deviations, #3)