Start by marking “Finn Family Moomintroll (Cover to Cover)” as Want to Read:
Finn Family Moomintroll (Cover to Cover)

Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins #3)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  6,127 ratings  ·  281 reviews
The Moomins, small, shy fat creatures who live in the forests of Finland, wake up after their winter sleep and find the Hobgoblin Hat.
Audio Cassette
Published May 7th 2002 by BBC Audiobooks (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Finn Family Moomintroll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finn Family Moomintroll

Rachel Hartman
This book is the reason I learned to read.

My mother read it aloud to me once and then refused to read it again. In fact, she washed her hands of the whole series on the grounds that it was "creepy". I was forced - forced! - to teach myself to read, if I wanted any more Moomins, ever. I got my revenge, however: I read this book out loud to HER while she was working in the kitchen and couldn't get away.
I liked, but didn't love Comet in Moominland. Finn Family Moomintroll though really captures the same wonderfulness that the Moomin comic strips do. This book is a bit more episodic than Comet, but it feels more cohesive. Maybe the Moomintroll is best when he isn't on long adventures with his friends, short adventures serve them nicely when they can return home to rest and enjoy the simple pleasures of Moominvalley. If I had kids I would read this to them, if they didn't like it, I'd drive them ...more
I guess I am fiscally conservative but liberal in most other things. You want to marry the same gender; you should. It’s none of my damn business as you are both consenting adults. Your womb is none of my damn business. You want to change gender, go right ahead – none of my damn business.
And incidentally, you can reverse that.
I blame Moomins for this. I just realized this.
When my family went to Sweden when I was in third or fourth grade, I was given copies of Jansson’s children books and real
Lisa Vegan
Jun 05, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: probably almost everybody, unless they have identical taste to mine
I feel sacrilegious in rating this book with just 2 stars. I almost “graded” it higher.

I apologize to everyone who loves this book. I’ve gotten over it now, but for years I was extremely perturbed when others I knew didn’t love A Wrinkle in Time and some of my other favorites.

I apologize to The Muskrat (who is a real hoot) and to Moominmamma (because she really is a great character) and some of the other characters too. I apologize to the author because there were glimmers and glimpses throughou
Ivonne Rovira
While I enjoyed Finn Family Moomintroll, it was not nearly as delightful as Comet in Moominland. When Moomintroll and the tramp Snufkin discover a stovepipe hat, they unwittingly bring home what turns out to be a Hobgoblin’s Hat. The hat wreaks all sorts of havoc until Moominmamma wisely hits on a solution.

Neither as witty or as funny as Comet in Moominland, Finn Family Moomintroll does introduce the odd little Thingumy and Bob, who have some very unusual ideas about stealing.
As part of a "read a new book, reread an old book challenge" and because it's the 65th anniversary of the Moomin series (there's even a Moominweek at!), I decided to reread as much as I could of the Moomin series. Which ended up being only one book, unfortunately: Finn Family Moomintroll. I read this series when I was perhaps 8 or 9 years old, and loved it; I think it would also be a great choice to read aloud to younger children. The illustrations are adorable, and the names of the char ...more
Sometimes things do work out as they ought to: my son is well on the road to loving the Moomintroll books just as much as I do. We breezed through this second book in the series really fast -- T was able, without much effort, to persuade Mama to read a chapter aloud pretty much any time of day, as long as he wasn't supposed to be in school.

This charming tale of one Spring and Summer in the lives of the Moomin family picks up where its predecessor left off. Every member of the Moomin household fr
Whimsical little stories that are tied together by the Hobgoblin's hat, which has the magical power to change things into something else. A lot of these episodic scenes are the ones that I'm most familiar with because of the tv-series.

The Hattifatteners are equally creepy here, and part of the reason why I've never felt comfortable with them is that they look brain-dead. They don't do anything, they just are and wander around in hordes looking like the ghosts of wet socks with limited means of c
I loved the Moomins so much as a kid. I don't remember reading them, actually -- surprisingly, no sense of location or of my fingers on the pages comes back to me, though usually I'll remember where I read books and whether my edition was new or old, and the smell of the pages... In any case, I do remember that I loved the Moomins, and it was lovely to curl up and reread now I'm older, and wiser, and really not feeling well.

I do love the range of characters, all with different customs and such,
Read this one when I was seven...At the time, I didn't understand the concept of "Never judge a book by its cover" (and boy am I glad, as this book's just as good, if not better than it's awesome, mind-candy cover) and at first, I picked this one up solely based on the colorful illustrations on the jacket.
It's still a favorite of mine and reminds me of the absolute wonder of being a kid. This book rocks my world. What a little freakin' treasure chest of glory the Moomintrolls are!
Snufkin is a r
Beka Sukhitashvili
ტუვე გენიოსია.
მარტო ჰატიფნატები რად ღირან.
იმედია, დარჩენილ 5 წიგნსაც ვთარგმნით ქართულად.
Sol  Gonzalez
Ayer por la noche terminé de leer El sombrero del Mago, por Tove Jansson.
Este libro lo encontré una vez en una feria del libro en uno de esos, ahora más raros puestos, en donde se venden libros usados. En este puesto en especial y especialmente esa vez me dejé una pequeña fortuna.

Verán, a veces cuando encuentro libros de editoriales españolas no me puedo resistir, y esto me pasa normalmente con Siruela. Sus libros son hermosos y tan sólo ver el nombre de la editorial es casi una promesa de que
This is what comes of putting on strange hats you find. Just buy yourself a good hat and stick to it, that's what you need to do. If more people took the liberty to have their own every-day hats these sorts of things wouldn't be happening left and right. What if it wasn't just a hobgoblin it had belonged to and it had been a banshee or evil spirit of some sort?
I loved this book! I thought it was utterly charming and so delightful, and all the adventures of the Moomins and their friends are just so much fun. I loved the writing, and the pictures are cute, as well. Most of this book takes place in the summer, so it was a great seasonal read for me, too.
I loved the Moomin cartoon as a child of the 90s. I've been watching it again online recently, and was pleasantly surprised by the sophistication of the characters and philosophy of the universe Tove Jansson created. There is certainly a great deal for adults to appreciate - and I don't think anyone grows out of thinking the Moomins are adorable creatures! This is the third book I've read, since I am going through the series in order. Judging by reviews, Finn Family Moomintroll seems to be most ...more
Sweet and funny. Jansson has a great voice, speaks matter-of-factly and in a way that's respectful of the child reader; there's no talking down. Perhaps it's just a more European sensibility, but I like it when author's tell it like it is, regardless of the age of the intended audience. Here, as in books by Dahl and the Nicholas series, for example, the authors write people (or moomins) just as they are, even the nasty, grouchy bits. Kids can relate to it and adults get to laugh at the frank nat ...more
I read this to myself several years ago and I didn't like it all. I was extremely confused about the characters, the plot seemed to ramble, and it left me with a headachy feeling like I had tried on the magician's hat.

Well, I tried it again--this time I read it aloud to my son. I was prepared to be confused this time. (I had completely forgotten just about everything in it from the last time I read it, so I couldn't rely on my memory to help me out.) And guess what? I actually enjoyed it!

Strange and otherworldly yet somehow very realistic, I got unexpectedly wrapped up in the world of the Moomins.

A friend who grew up reading obscure Enlgish comics from the 1950's recommended this to me, so my plan was to read it mostly as a concession to her (so that she would have to read Annie Dillard - not exactly a fair trade, in terms of time and effort required...).

But then I loved it. It's odd; it's a children's story with situations revolving around unexplored islands and magical hats, b
Tässä kirjassa tapahtumia riittää! Minulle, joka en juurikaan välittänyt Muumilaakson marraskuusta, Taikurin hattu on kuin nakutettu. Ehkä olen vielä liian lapsi, nuori tai lapsenmielinen, miten sen nyt ottaakaan, koska nautin enemmän seikkailupitoisista kuin vakavammista ja syvällisemmistä Muumeista. Oli asia miten tahansa, niin Taikurin hattu kuljetti minua sulavasti seikkailusta toiseen.

Kirjan rakenne poikkeaa aikaisemmista Muumi-kirjoistani, sillä kirjassa oli vain seitsemän lukua sekä johda
These books fill me with awe and happiness, and just the right amount of melancholia.

And the pictures make me think of something holy and ineffable, much like William Blake's illuminated manuscripts.

If it wasn't for the Moomin books I'd be a lesser and more miserable person.
Zen Cho
Picked this up for 200 yen in a Book Off, though was a bit worried that the books might not be as fun as the comics. But it was so cute! It had all the whimsical charm of the graphic novels -- it helps that it comes with illustrations, but I would have enjoyed it nearly as much without. Moominpappa and Moominmamma are total stereotypes when it comes to gender roles, but oh well. Moominmamma is one of my favourite characters. Not gonna lie, I totally came close to tearing up when she recognised M ...more
I love the Moomins and I love Tove Jansson. They are slightly unsettling books, with strange characters and happenings. Moomintroll, Sniff and Snufkin find the Hobgoblin's magical hat. Things put inside the hat change, causing bizarre happenings. Two weird little characters, Thingummy and Bob, turn up with a ruby that they have stolen from the sinister Groke. They are put on trial, then the Hobgoblin turns up looking for his hat.

I think that these books are wonderful. They provoke a lot of discu
Sara Forsberg
Trollkarlens hatt innehåller många av mina absoluta favoritberättelser från Mumindalen.
I read the Moomintroll stories many decades ago, but I still remember how much I enjoyed them.

Illustration from Tove Jansson's book Moominland Midwinter

Cute as the characters undoubtedly are, they are a little mysterious as well. The beautiful illustrations heightened this sense of mystery.
Isabel (kittiwake)
They had had many strange adventures on this river and had brought home many new friends. Moomintroll's mother and father always welcomed all their friends in the same quiet way, just adding another bed and putting another leaf in the dining-room table. And so Moominhouse was rather full - a place where everyone did what they liked and seldom worried about tomorrow. Very often unexpected and disturbing things used to happen, but nobody ever had time to be bored, and that is always a good thing.

«Выдуманный мир моих муми-троллей - это мир, по которому наверняка в глубине души тоскует каждый из нас», - говорила сама Туве Янссон.
Вообще Туве Янссон была художницей. И еще писала взрослые серьезные книги. Но для большинства читателей Туве Янссон - та, кто придумала очаровательный мир муми-троллей.
Удивительно, но эти истории как будто растут вместе с нами. Можно спорить, что например «Шляпа волшебника» никогда не покажется глупой, наивной и детской. Вы нйдете в ней то, что нужно именно сейч
Jitty B
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
هذا الكتاب كأنه حلم من الأحلام الغريبة.
ليش يصير كدا؟
ليش هذا الشخص يتصرف بدي الطريقة؟
نفس دا الإحساس.
كانو حلم غريب. مو مخيف لكنه غريب و يعطيك هذا الشعور.
عالم المومين عالم عجيب بقلم توفيه (اظن ان اسمها يكتب بدي الطريقة) .
و على حد علمي تعتبر من الكلاسيكيات المعروفة في الأدب الفنلندي.
اخترعت توفيه عالم عجيب حقا وأشخاص بشخصيات فريدة وغريبة ومثيرة للاهتمام.
لكن من أهم النقاط في عالم المومين الذي اخترعته توفيه هو أنه بشكل ما يناقش قضايا جادة وحقيقية ومشاعر بشرية بالإضافة انو بعض الش
I am a new convert to Moominmania. The Moomins are my idea of a Finnish version of Milne's Winnie the Pooh and friends. With a title like "The Finn Family Moomintroll" I thought I had picked up the first book, but I guess it's the third Moomin book, and I thought it a bit strange that there was no introduction to any character but Moominpappa, Moominmamma, Moomintroll, the Snork Maiden, Sniff etc just bounded through the pages. Magical and strange and funny.
Love the Moomins!!
Thomas Armstrong
This was one of those children's literature selections that I should have known about (being an educator), but had to read about on the Guardian website (I think). It is a classic from Finland that American children should be raised on (I don't know, perhaps they are and I'm out of the loop). What makes this book great is the way things transform and shift, not in a formulaic way, but in unpredictable ways (for example, the ways in which the Hobgoblin's Hat changes in the course of the book). Al ...more
  • Emil in the Soup Tureen
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Elidor
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • The Wonderful Adventures of Nils
  • The Little Grey Men
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Under the North Star (Under the North Star, #1)
  • The Little Book Room
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • A Dog So Small
  • The Cat: Or, How I Lost Eternity
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...

The Moomins (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)

“It looks rather ordinary," said the Snork. "Unless you consider that a top hat is always somewhat extraordinary, of course.” 35 likes
“Someone who eats pancakes and jam can't be so awfully dangerous. You can talk to him.” 31 likes