Start by marking “Jonathan and His Mommy” as Want to Read:
Jonathan and His Mommy

Jonathan and His Mommy

As a mother and son explore their neighborhood, they try various ways of walking--from giant steps and reggae steps to criss cross steps and backwards steps.
Published September 1st 1994 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published October 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Jonathan and His Mommy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonathan and His Mommy

Lisa Newhouse
Jul 06, 2015 Lisa Newhouse rated it it was amazing
This book is about a young African American boy and his mother taking a walk around town. They make all kinds of crazy steps as they walk around what appears to be New York City or maybe Chicago. They make reggae steps and bunny steps, running steps and crisscross steps. This book is a sweet story and easy read. I would recommend it as a book for moms to read with their little boys in preschool, kindergarten, or first grade. After reading the book, maybe you can walk about town and see what kind ...more
Haleema Vaughn
Oct 23, 2013 Haleema Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Jonathan and his mommy is a narrative about Jonathan and the things that he does with his mommy. The main character Jonathan tells the reader the exercise he and his mommy do as they walk down the street (ex. “first we zigzag walk down the street”). As a teacher this book could be used to teach rhyming words (ex. ”as we wiggle our noses and wiggle our ears; We look so funny we end up in tears”). This text also allows teachers and students to incorporate exercise in literacy, as the teacher reads ...more
Kendra
Oct 08, 2015 Kendra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: single-parents
I really enjoyed this book, it's very sweet. Shows a good bond between mother and son. It is a good book to show diversity and cultural relevance. I enjoyed the story line as well as the community playing a good part in the story. The story follows a mother and son around their neighborhood as they walk in different ways on each page. Very rich imagery and plot.
Elines Flores
This was an easy yet highly enjoyable read. The book describes a mother and son's walk through the parks and streets of their city. The illustrations, in soft pastel colors, really capture the warmth of the day and the urban feel of the city. I could also feel the mother-son love, genuine and pure.
Cara Olansky
Mar 23, 2016 Cara Olansky rated it really liked it
This is a great one, particularly if you are teaching in a big city. It follows Jonathan and his mother as they take a walk through their neighborhood. Not only is it easy for children growing up in the city to relate to, but it provides several opportunities for spin off lessons or games.
Rebecca
Jan 14, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
A boy and his mom go walking in the neighborhood. They take giant steps, baby steps; they hop, they run all to a catchy rhythm. I could imagine reading this to children and having them imitate the movements of the boy and mother. What fun!
Raven Sanders
Oct 23, 2013 Raven Sanders rated it really liked it
This book 'Jonathan and His Mommy' is about a day in the light of Jonathan. He is telling us the typical day he have with his mother, who is a single parent. Jonathan is a young African American boy raised by his single mother. He invites the audience into his everyday life with his mom. The Author, Irene Smalls, was raised by her single Godmother. It was not her biological mom in relations to the story by she was raised by someone who she called mom. As a teacher, I will use this text to use de ...more
Susan
Jun 11, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I love Michael Hays' beautiful illustrations. It's a sweet, fun book and the pictures just pop with life.
June
May 05, 2016 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & teachers
One of my favorites to use in a Mother program. I love the different walks.5/2/11

Used for a preschool films and stories and PJ Story Time this year.

This was chosen for PJ Story Time. It was a little long for the younger children. 5/5/14

A little long for the 2's, but I wanted something for the older child that came. (Samierah also chose for PJ Story Time.) 5/5/14

A little long for the last book for my young 2ish story time. Have to try as first book or move to something shorter.
Sandy
Sep 10, 2012 Sandy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 1
A story about a little boy named Jonathan and his mother taking a walk through their neighborhood. They stroll through the streets in an interesting way by hopping, slow motion, giant steps, and baby steps. This could be used as a read aloud for younger students, maybe good to do for Mother's Day; the pictures are good for comparing their neighborhood to yours. Good for children K-1st grade would.
Samantha
Jonathan and his mom take a walk using both their feet and their imaginations. Text is poetic and perfect for reading aloud.

Watercolor artwork brings Jonathan's neighborhood to life and showcases all the unique ways of walking he and his mother come up with.

Highly recommended read aloud for PreK-2. especially in promotion of fitness/exercise.
Jessica Allen
Jun 11, 2011 Jessica Allen rated it liked it
Shelves: imagination, family
This is a sweet book that really highlights the relationship between a mother and child. The setting is in the city which offers a chance to discuss similarities/differences between the city and the country with children. Children may want to act out the story as well... fun!
Abbi Kraus
This book is about Jonathan and his mother walking through the city taking all sorts of different steps and being silly. This is a low-level book, but it is funny so it would be okay for any elementary classroom. This illustrations are great! It showcases life in the city.
Heather Mcgrail
Jul 03, 2008 Heather Mcgrail rated it it was ok
Lisa Rathbun
Really fun book that will encourage you to get off the couch and outside to practice all these fun steps with your own child and perhaps make up some new ones of your own.
Vanessa
Mar 16, 2008 Vanessa rated it really liked it
Great story about a boy and his mom going on a walk an the different kinds of steps they take -- big giant steps, tiny steps, reggae steps... Fun, kinetic, sweet and interactive.
Missy
Apr 08, 2011 Missy rated it liked it
Shelves: family, multicultural
I absolutly love the pastel like illustrations in this book. This is a good story about a little boy and his mother and all the different things they do during the day.
Sydney McClure
This is has some onomatopoeia, which is great for beginner readers. This is great for 1-3 grade.
Kimberly
Very cute! Made me miss the days of dancing down the hallway with my students.
Jami
May 27, 2008 Jami rated it really liked it
Shelves: bedtime-stories
Simple and wonderful. The story has a lot of love in it.
Rachel
Note- Use for Mother's Day storytime
Lindsay
movement, family
Brenda Isaacs
Brenda Isaacs marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Esutterlin
Esutterlin marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Dawn Rutherford
Dawn Rutherford rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Per Library of Congress Authorities:
__ |a Phone call from author, 3-15-04 |b (goes by the name Irene Smalls; Smalls-Hector was married name, no longer uses)

More about Irene Smalls...