Start by marking “Jonathan and His Mommy” as Want to Read:
Jonathan and His Mommy

Jonathan and His Mommy

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  20 reviews
As a mother and son explore their neighborhood, they try various ways of walking--from giant steps and reggae steps to criss cross steps and backwards steps.
Published September 1st 1994 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published October 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Jonathan and His Mommy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonathan and His Mommy

Lisa Newhouse
This book is about a young African American boy and his mother taking a walk around town. They make all kinds of crazy steps as they walk around what appears to be New York City or maybe Chicago. They make reggae steps and bunny steps, running steps and crisscross steps. This book is a sweet story and easy read. I would recommend it as a book for moms to read with their little boys in preschool, kindergarten, or first grade. After reading the book, maybe you can walk about town and see what kind ...more
Haleema Vaughn
Jonathan and his mommy is a narrative about Jonathan and the things that he does with his mommy. The main character Jonathan tells the reader the exercise he and his mommy do as they walk down the street (ex. “first we zigzag walk down the street”). As a teacher this book could be used to teach rhyming words (ex. ”as we wiggle our noses and wiggle our ears; We look so funny we end up in tears”). This text also allows teachers and students to incorporate exercise in literacy, as the teacher reads ...more
Elines Flores
This was an easy yet highly enjoyable read. The book describes a mother and son's walk through the parks and streets of their city. The illustrations, in soft pastel colors, really capture the warmth of the day and the urban feel of the city. I could also feel the mother-son love, genuine and pure.
Rebecca
A boy and his mom go walking in the neighborhood. They take giant steps, baby steps; they hop, they run all to a catchy rhythm. I could imagine reading this to children and having them imitate the movements of the boy and mother. What fun!
Raven Sanders
This book 'Jonathan and His Mommy' is about a day in the light of Jonathan. He is telling us the typical day he have with his mother, who is a single parent. Jonathan is a young African American boy raised by his single mother. He invites the audience into his everyday life with his mom. The Author, Irene Smalls, was raised by her single Godmother. It was not her biological mom in relations to the story by she was raised by someone who she called mom. As a teacher, I will use this text to use de ...more
Susan
I love Michael Hays' beautiful illustrations. It's a sweet, fun book and the pictures just pop with life.
Sandy
Sep 10, 2012 Sandy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 1
A story about a little boy named Jonathan and his mother taking a walk through their neighborhood. They stroll through the streets in an interesting way by hopping, slow motion, giant steps, and baby steps. This could be used as a read aloud for younger students, maybe good to do for Mother's Day; the pictures are good for comparing their neighborhood to yours. Good for children K-1st grade would.
Samantha
Jonathan and his mom take a walk using both their feet and their imaginations. Text is poetic and perfect for reading aloud.

Watercolor artwork brings Jonathan's neighborhood to life and showcases all the unique ways of walking he and his mother come up with.

Highly recommended read aloud for PreK-2. especially in promotion of fitness/exercise.
June
May 05, 2015 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & teachers
One of my favorites to use in a Mother program. I love the different walks.5/2/11

Used for a preschool films and stories and PJ Story Time this year.

This was chosen for PJ Story Time. It was a little long for the younger children. 5/5/14

A little long for the 2's, but I wanted something for the older child that came. (Samierah also chose for PJ Story Time.)
Jessica Allen
This is a sweet book that really highlights the relationship between a mother and child. The setting is in the city which offers a chance to discuss similarities/differences between the city and the country with children. Children may want to act out the story as well... fun!
Abbi Kraus
This book is about Jonathan and his mother walking through the city taking all sorts of different steps and being silly. This is a low-level book, but it is funny so it would be okay for any elementary classroom. This illustrations are great! It showcases life in the city.
Heather Mcgrail
Lisa Rathbun
Really fun book that will encourage you to get off the couch and outside to practice all these fun steps with your own child and perhaps make up some new ones of your own.
Vanessa
Great story about a boy and his mom going on a walk an the different kinds of steps they take -- big giant steps, tiny steps, reggae steps... Fun, kinetic, sweet and interactive.
Missy
I absolutly love the pastel like illustrations in this book. This is a good story about a little boy and his mother and all the different things they do during the day.
Sydney McClure
This is has some onomatopoeia, which is great for beginner readers. This is great for 1-3 grade.
Kim
Very cute! Made me miss the days of dancing down the hallway with my students.
the Reeds
Simple and wonderful. The story has a lot of love in it.
Rachel
Note- Use for Mother's Day storytime
Database
Database marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Liz Elliott
Liz Elliott marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Annamarie Carlson
Annamarie Carlson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Scarlett Sims
Scarlett Sims marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Buried In Print
Buried In Print marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Meg Aust-Anastasi
Meg Aust-Anastasi marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Per Library of Congress Authorities:
__ |a Phone call from author, 3-15-04 |b (goes by the name Irene Smalls; Smalls-Hector was married name, no longer uses)

More about Irene Smalls...
Kevin and His Dad Don't Say Ain't Irene and the Big, Fine Nickel Just For You!: I Can't Take a Bath! A Strawbeater's Thanksgiving