Start by marking “Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)” as Want to Read:
Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)

Forest Born (The Books of Bayern #4)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  20,527 Ratings  ·  2,020 Reviews
Rin, Razo's little sister, is haunted by the forest she has always loved. When Razo invites her back to the city to be one of Queen Ani's waiting women, she happily accepts . . . only to end up on the adventure of her lifetime, following the queen, Enna and Dasha into the countryside in search of a fire-starting enemy that no one can see. As she learns more about the three ...more
Published July 5th 2010 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published September 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Forest Born, please sign up.

Jessica I read them when I was 11.
I read them when I was 11.
There is a little sword-fighting and battling with magic, but not too much graphic stuff…no more gory description than, “He bled heavily onto the stones” or “He was charred.”
There is a little romance, but nothing overly explicit. In Enna Burning, Enna and Razo share a tent and Finn says he has to protect Enna’s honor but there’s really nothing there. In River Secrets there’s a brief bit of suggestive material, but I think it’s pretty PG. It just says that Finn is sleeping beside Enna because she has nightmares, and Razo thinks they’re together-together.
There is not much offensive language. In Goose Girl and Enna Burning they use the word “bastard” and in Forest Born Razo says Enna was “through some hell” but I don’t think he meant it in a bad way. Enna is a little sharp-tongued but her language is pretty PG.(less)

Tanja
May 28, 2009 Tanja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having grown up in a large family I could instantly identify with Rin. She is the youngest agget-kin and just does not know where she fits. So she imitates. How many of us do this? We try to figure out what our parents, brothers, sisters, friends want us to be and we try to imitate that. Rin was grown up for her age of 15. She was introspective and aware that she is not the only one that matters. Very unlike normal teenagers. I enjoyed this book the most out of the bayern series. I feel like I h ...more
Cara
Feb 08, 2009 Cara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
Shelves: series, fantasy, 2010, siblings
I don't know why every single time I pick up one of these books I'm always surprised that it draws me in so quickly. After I turned the last page I decided right there and then that one day I'm going to re-read the whole series again, and cross my fingers that Shannon Hale will get the notion to make one more. Though I should add, that really like with the other books it can stand alone and ends well.

For the fourth book of Bayern we get to explore the life of Razo's little sister, Rin. Rin is
Josie
Aug 17, 2011 Josie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Laina
Aug 31, 2009 Laina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I almost feel guilty giving this five stars after reading Shannon's latest blogs on star-ratings, but I can't help myself! This book... oh my goodness. Let me try to put this into words.

Shannon Hale has outdone herself... again. I cannot BELIEVE how much I loved this book! It was different then her other books... so much more internal conflict. I felt like she wrote this book specifically for me; it's taken such a special part in my heart.

The writing was wonderful. Of course. Enough said.

The sto
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Another Bayern book, which I wasn't really wild about...but then again I didn't love Enna and River right away, so it might grow on me to be a 4 star review. My problem was that Rin was such a non-character, in the beginning. She is quite literally a shadow who eventually takes form. And it's hard to identify with a shadow. I will not spoil the two big twists Shannon Hale has said not to spoil, because that's just mean. I will say that I felt the book had too many cliches, Isi has a baby, baby i ...more
Kogiopsis
Aug 18, 2009 Kogiopsis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book years ago, as a galley, and I haven't reread it since. In the interval I've changed my own self-perception a lot, both via the 'normal' self exploration of college and via diagnoses for depression and anxiety - so it was weirdly comforting to come back to this book and remember that, years ago before I realized what was going on in my brain, I read Rin's story as an allegory for depression, and that it still holds true now.

I know there are some people who don't find this b
Lia
Jan 25, 2010 Lia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Belabored. Drawn out. Page after page saying the same plot piece. Characters re-enacting their same "idiosyncrasies" endlessly--every time they open their mouths. One of the characters was so repetitious and persistent, that I skimmed whatever he said toward the end of the book.

There is also a very strong and frightening co-dependency that is only given a passing nod rather than actually being dealt with. Through most of the book, the main character is addressed in a condescending, mocking, or
Miss Clark
Dec 23, 2008 Miss Clark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Shannon Hale and Bayern
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
oliviasbooks
I have to say it: In my personal opinion Shannon Hale is a one-hit-wonder. I truely loved every page of 'Goose Girl', but every other book - with the exception of the middle-grade-targeted 'Princess Academy' maybe - turned out to call for heavy ploughing machinery to get me through. I barely stayed focussed reading 'A Book of Thousand Days', gave up on 'Enna Burning', skipped 'River Secrets' because I didn't own it yet and now abandoned 'Forest Born' around page 88.
There are fairytale elements i
Jessica
Oct 15, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youngadult
New gifts are discovered in this fourth Bayern book, as Rin (Razo's sister) takes the center stage. Things come full circle from Goose Girl, with Isi, Enna, Dasha and Rin fighting an old enemy.
Kat  Hooper
Nov 10, 2013 Kat Hooper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature. Life's too short to read bad books!

Everyone thinks of Rin as her mother’s shadow. She belongs to a large extended family that all live near each other in the forest and, until recently, Rin has always been her hard-working mother’s helper. She cooks, cleans, fetches the water, helps take care of all the kids, etc. When she needs a little peace, she communes with the trees of the forest. She doesn’t really “speak” w
Valerie
Feb 26, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I didn't think I was going to read the fourth book. I thought it was fine with the third one but Hale is a great writer and I really just couldn't help it. Once I started reading Forest Born I remembered why she is one of my favorite authors.

Rin has a secret and a confusing one at that; Rin herself isn't quiet sure what it is. She doesn't know what is wrong with her; she just knows that something is (its fairly easy to figure out what it is). Rin is constantly copying people’s behavior because
Jen
Confession: I bought this book only because they rereleased it in a cover that matches the first three of the series that I already owned. I'm not a fan of the new covers. Maybe it shouldn't matter, but it does. If I'm going to spend money on a book, I'm going to get a copy that looks good.

I read this series somewhat out of order, picking up Enna Burning and reading that before I realized it was a sequel to The Goose Girl. (Gold star to Shannon Hale for writing a series wherein each individual b
Kathryn
Jun 23, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Vacation
REVIEW
In one word. MAGICAL. Forest Born is a captivating ending to The Books of Bayern series.
I absolutely loved the way Hale describes the various gifts. My favorites would be water and wind speaking. They are so graceful and are shown as the least destructive. A magical land where some of the people have speaking abilities is like a fairy tale world.
As always, Hale’s characters are well written. Rin’s innocence is what made her special. Although she possessed two powerful gifts, Rin was asha
Nikki
Apr 16, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Advance Reading Copy:]
What's not to love about Shannon's books? Her gorgeous descriptions and page-turning stories keep me up late every time. I can imagine Rin would be a difficult character to write: unsure of who she is and reflecting other people's personalities when she's around them. But I loved her and was cheering for her the whole time. She felt fifteen, and I know I could have related to her at that age. At the same time, I loved seeing nineteen- and twenty-year-olds Enna, Razo, Dasha
Donna
It pains me to give this one star because I love Shannon Hale and all that she has done to make reading fun for kids. I started this book this morning, and even before the morning was over, I was asking myself, "Why are you still reading this?" So I caved and walked away, which must really say something since I have only walked away from one book so far this year.

All I can offer in the way of a review is that it failed to grab me and pull me in. Rin rubbed me the wrong way to the point where I j
Teri
May 25, 2009 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book rated more with Enna Burning than with Goose Girl and Water Secrets. It could be that it's the fourth in a series (burnout),or that the character wasn't as appealing (shy and mousy),or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood (needs more violence). Just kidding about that last one - I needed a 3rd thing to round out the sentence. Anyhow! It had plenty of girl power and I always enjoy Shannon Hale enough to neglect many chores while I try to finish her books. Enjoyable read.
Candi
Oct 16, 2009 Candi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Shannon Hale books and this is no exception. It's not quite my favorite as much as Goose Girl but still quite good. The characters are strong, the villain is excellent, exciting story line. I did miss a good love story, but... oh well.
Elizabeth
This was originally posted on my blog.

I thought this book was a perfect ending to the Books of Bayern quartet. It addressed something that I thought was very important, but can't say what because of spoilers. But I loved that Shannon Hale saw that something and decided to write a story around it, because I loved that. Gah! It's always so hard to talk about the books in this series because my favourite parts about them are always spoilers!

I really enjoyed Rin. She's much more internalized than an
Allison
Jun 19, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all four books of the Bayern series in a casual sort of way. Each of them started out as 3 star reads but ended up as 4 stars once I looked back. They were a bit slow to get through in parts, but somehow the endings always pulled things together and won me over.

The series started out with a fairytale retelling in the Goose Girl, but then moved into pure high fantasy in the sequels. They are all set in the same world, loosely connected by the rotating main characters who are all friend
Steph Su
May 31, 2009 Steph Su rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FOREST BORN is a welcome return to the beloved world of Bayern as Shannon Hale shows again why she is one of the decade’s top YA fantasy writers. Featuring ever-lush writing, wonderful characters, and heartwarming character development, be prepared to step into Bayern once again!

With her timidity and extreme lack of self-esteem, Rin is a far cry from the other Bayern characters. However, Rin is never overshadowed by the other, more talkative, and more assertive characters, mostly because we are
Angela
Oct 18, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Do you ever look at a stack of books and know that at least one of them is probably really great but you just don't know yet that it's really great and you don't want to waste your time on a not-so-great book and so you just don't know which book to choose so you just keep staring at the stack of books and put off reading any of them?

- OR -

Do you ever pick up a book by an author simply because you have loved past books by the author but you don't really know much about this book or you aren't su
Debbie
Sep 02, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
I enjoyed the underlying humor in Forest Born, but I was confused by why Rin was acting oddly (her reaction seemed blown out of proportion to the events because the author kept some early, critical events deliberately vague). So I didn't bond with Rin in the first half of the book because I couldn't understand her.

When the author finally revealed what had happened, Rin suddenly became a sympathetic character to me because I knew what a burden she'd been struggling with. But by the time we learne
Ashley
Apr 22, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own, signed
Another great Bayern book from Shannon Hale. I think that this book was stronger than the last one, and fit inside its 'skin' better. I thought that Rin was a wonderful character. I think Hale did fantastic drawing a character who was unsure of herself, and scared of what she could become while still being able to find strength when it was needed. She grew into her skin, and she grew up a lot in this book. One thing I will say though- Enna seems to be a character who is not content with her own ...more
Sheri
Apr 03, 2009 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
I say it every time I read one of her books, but it must be said again... I just adore Shannon Hale. I may not always love her stories, but I truly love the way she writes. She has such wit and is absolutely amazing at bringing me into her stories. I can never get over how connected I feel to her characters, and this one is no different. Truth be told, I had a hard time with the beginning of this story. I felt like it was disjointed, confusing, and just plain didn't flow well. Then I figured out ...more
Emily Michelle
I liked it more than Enna Burning but less than the other two books in the series. As other reviewers have pointed out, Rin is a difficult character to get into. This is necessary, given that Rin herself doesn't know who she wants to be, but it also means that I was bored by the book until about halfway through.

As with all the books in this series, Forest Born features a heroine struggling with some internal flaw or failing, and Rin's was an interesting one: she knows that she has the power to d
Miss Bookiverse
Nachdem Enna Burning und River Secrets mich eher enttäuscht hatten, hat mir Forest Born richtig gut gefallen. Ich vermute das Timing hat diesmal einfach gestimmt, zu einem anderen Zeitpunkt hätte ich das Buch auch sterbenslangweilig finden können. Aber dieses Wochenende hat es einfach gepasst. Klar das Buch könnte gut 50-100 Seiten kürzer sein und das Tempo ist wirklich nicht das eines Rennpferdes, aber irgendwie war's trotzdem schön. Der Schreibstil ist ruhig-märchenhaft und als die ganzen Figu ...more
Margaret
Oct 06, 2009 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forest Born is the fourth book in the Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale. Shannon is one of my favorite author's so whenever a new book comes out by her, I am excited. The first book in the Bayern series was one of my all time favorites , The Goose Girl. I wasn't that excited about the second and third books in the series. I had high hopes for Forest Born and I was not disappointed.

It is the story of Rinna who grew up in the forest in a big family and doesn't know where she stands in life. She deci
Selia's feelings 5 38 Apr 14, 2015 06:30AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 01:56PM
The Nerd Herd: Forest Born 3 11 May 05, 2014 06:00AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Forest Born by Shannon Hale 3 5 May 21, 2013 10:45AM
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • Princess Ben
  • Dragon Kiss (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #7)
  • The Princess and the Bear (The Hound Saga, #2)
  • A Posse of Princesses
  • The Thirteenth Princess
  • Secondhand Charm
  • Before Midnight: A Retelling of Cinderella (Once Upon a Time, #11)
  • Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2)
  • Palace of Mirrors (The Palace Chronicles, #2)
  • The Truth-Teller's Tale (Safe-Keepers, #2)
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's Reveng ...more
More about Shannon Hale...

The Books of Bayern (4 books)
  • The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
  • Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)

“I hate them," Enna said. "Whoever is responsible for making me sleep outside without pillows, I hate them."
Mmm-hmmm...," Dasha said. Rin had noticed that the Tiran girl often had trouble remembering how to speak in the morning.
If Finn were here," Enna continued to mumble as she rewrapped her head cloth, "he'd let me rest my head on his chest at night. Or leg. Or arm. And then he'd find whoever was responsible for the whole sleeping outside with no pillows situation and hold him while I kicked him in the shins.”
91 likes
“Dasha!' Rin yelled, 'Dasha!'
A face looked up, then two. They started walking toward her, then running. Dasha was in front, her eyes set on Razo, her face caught in an expression of desperate hope.
'Razo,' she said, .... 'Razo, it had better be you. If it just looks like you, I am going to kill you. It had better-'
He'd reached her by then. They embraced, and he swung her around, her legs lifting in the air, her tunic swirling...Then Dasha was kissing Razo's face and crying and smiling and declaring all his perfections.
'Well, this isn't half-bad,' said Razo, 'I think I'll die more often.'
Dasha embraced him again and squeezed until Razo had to admit he was injured. 'Love the lips, not the ribs,' he said, and pulled her into a long kiss.”
49 likes