Start by marking “The Bear Under The Stairs” as Want to Read:
The Bear Under The Stairs

The Bear Under The Stairs

Only William knows about the big great bear living under the stairs. He's sure he saw one lurking there...

Beautifully illustrated book dealing with childhood fears, wonderfully poetic and reassuring.
Paperback
Published September 1st 1994 by Corgi Childrens (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Bear Under The Stairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bear Under The Stairs

Rosa
Jun 02, 2009 Rosa rated it really liked it
They don't ever actually see the bear under the stairs, but I think the boy is right. There really is a bear under their stairs, and he's hiding behind the door!
Rebecca Brown
Nov 04, 2013 Rebecca Brown rated it really liked it
This book is a short story about a boy who believes there is a big brown grizzly bear living under the stairs in his house. He is scared of the bear and is made to face his fear when his mother decides to clean under the stairs…

I think this is such lovely book about a little boy’s imagination. I love the illustrations; they are soft and subtle but also quite dark and eerie. I found the story quite touching as it really plays on the little boy’s innocence and fear. This story is something a lot o
Nafis
Dec 08, 2012 Nafis rated it really liked it
The bear under the stairs is centred around a boy named William whom having one day seen a furry figure inside the cellar believes that there is a bear living under his stairs. William fears that if the bear goes hungry, then he may decide to eat William. As a result, William decides to feed the bear a wide range of food in order to appease its appetite. Eventually the remains of the food let’s of a stench that the rest of the household can smell, when Williams mother decides to investigate they ...more
Ece
Dec 19, 2012 Ece rated it did not like it
This was a story that we read with my reception class. It is about a young boy who is certain there is a bear that lives under the stairs. He is scared of this bear, then eventually goes to look under the stairs with his mother to find there is no bear. Although the book is full of beautiful (sometimes scary) illustrations and visual descriptions, I thought it was a very difficult story for young children to make sense of. I acknowledge the fact that it may relate to some children's fears of dar ...more
KathStone
A lovely short story with beautiful illustrations about a young boy dealing with a common fear for things lurking in the dark. I like how it progresses from his initial feelings of fear and how he attempts to cope with it in his own way, to then sharing his fears with someone who helps to overcome it. This could be used to encourage children that any fears or problems they have can be overcome when shared with others.
Aug 21, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I ever read. I was 3 and a half years old and loved this book. I still have my copy as well. It is an adorable book with beautiful illustrations. I highly recommend it
ESF Tsing Yi
I love Helen Cooper: her stories are always thought-provoking and with gorgeously detailed illustrations. This is a classic tale of one little boy and his attempts to deal with his fear about the bear that lives under the stairs.
Rachel Tackett
Feb 20, 2014 Rachel Tackett rated it really liked it
Erin
May 10, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
The Bear Under the Stairs is about a young boy who believes there’s a bear living in the storage closet beneath the stairs. Fearing the bear will want to eat him if he gets hungry, William brings the bear food every day, tossing it in quickly with his eyes shut tight. Eventually a stench begins to waft out of the place under the stairs and William’s “bear” is discovered. This is a very relatable tale about a child’s imagination and fears, told through subtle rhyming text and detailed illustratio ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
William is scared of two things, bears and the space under the stairs. So, when he spots a bear in the space under the stairs he is frightened. The bear is hungry and William feeds him every day so that he won't become the bear's meal. The space under the stairs begins to smell, so William and his mother must figure our how to approach the scary bear.

I loved the illustrations and the flow/pattern of the text.
Darren
Jan 17, 2016 Darren rated it really liked it
Fantastic illustrations festoon this humorously well-rhymed book. This is a story for kids who are scared of monsters lurking in closets or shadows... Under the bed or under the stairs. Unfortunately it teaches entirely the wrong moral: that there are no monsters lurking in darkness, waiting for us.

What nonsense.
Joanna
Sep 15, 2007 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Poor William thinks he saw a bear under the stairs, and he figures he can keep it happy by feeding it regularly. Helen Cooper does a wonderful job of portraying a young child's fears in a lilting rhyming verse that keeps the story light. And Mom makes a great rescuer!
Erin
May 10, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book when I was little, and I'll always keep a copy of it on my bookshelf. The rhyming is fun and the illustrations adorable, definitely a book that I'll be reading to my own children in the future.
Judy
Aug 12, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
This story provides the perfect opportunity to talk with children about their fears. When I read this with my 3-year-old nephew, we talk about options the little boy has to deal with the 'bear.' (The art is okay, but the little boy's face is awkward.)
Dianne Norberg
Apr 28, 2012 Dianne Norberg rated it liked it
Good rhyming book. I think the book adds surprise at the end for children. All along, it is not a bear, but a rug that looks like a bear. It is cute and clever.
Amy
Jun 25, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love love LOVE the illustrations in this! And in the mini format it's great to carry around in a bag...
Drew
Drew rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Dd
Dd rated it did not like it
Feb 03, 2015
La Stanzetta Inglese
La Stanzetta Inglese rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2012
Grace Jackson
Grace Jackson rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Ian Samuel
Ian Samuel rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
May 06, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Isoken
Mar 29, 2013 Isoken rated it really liked it
A story about childhood fears which are reassuringly conquered with parental help.
Elizabeth S
Feb 01, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-picture
Cute, simple, beautiful. I loved this charming story and the illustrations.
Nimitha
Nimitha rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2012
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2008
Shirley
Shirley rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See here for more details
More about Helen Cooper...