Dead Silence

Dead Silence (Doc Ford Mystery #16)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  990 ratings  ·  100 reviews
So terrifying it'll leave readers breathless...
When a Minnesota teen is kidnapped, Doc Ford is given an unthinkable ultimatum, and only 36 hours to act on it. But there's something unusual about the boy that his captors don't even know, twisting this deadly game out of control in ways no one can imagine.
Published March 10th 2009 by Berkley Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Silence

Vic
Another top notch offering from Randy Wayne White. Personally, I think Doc Ford is one of the all time great fictional characters of modern time. Over the course of this series we have learned a lot about Doc and his friend Tomlinson. We have watched them mature and age while Mr. White takes us deeper and deeper into their personal histories. Some characters appear briefly and others seem to appear briefly in multiple stories. The continuity of the supporting cast, as well as the marina at Dinki...more
Jody
I always enjoy the books about Doc Ford. This one starts out with a killer being disposed of & Doc off in New York to meet with a Senator. He's stood up - because he sees an attempt at someone kidnapping the senator. While he manages to rescue her, her companion, a young teenage essay contest winner is whisked away by the kidnappers. The story involves secret papers from Cuba; deadly kidnappers; the teen, who's prone to rage, but manages to keep his calm; and a variety of folks from all over...more
Judy
Aug 14, 2013 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any Doc Ford fan
Shelves: my-2013-books
This is book #16 in Randy Wayne White's Doc Ford series. Doc is one of my favorite fictional characters. I happened to pick up this copy at "Doc Ford's Rum Bar and Grill" on Sanibel Island, which is the setting of most of the stories. We've been vacationing here for about 12 years and have read all of the Doc Ford books up until the last 4. Some are better than others, but all are fun. In this story, a Minnesota teen is kidnapped as Doc Ford watches. This story involves some of the details of Do...more
Krissie
Winter in New York City: Amid sleet and snow, Doc Ford is at the Explorers Club with his new friend, former (and maybe current) British agent Sir James Montbard, researching a jungle expedition and awaiting the arrival of an attractive U.S. senator.
Could NOT put this one down; finished in one sitting!
Marsha
Another addition to the Dr. Ford series-Professor and Special government agent. While on vacation in NYC, his quick wits thwart a kidnap attempt on a US Senator as she is escorting a Native American boy, a contest winner in her home state. Unluckily for him, he is taken in her place.

As the story goes through its mazes of clues and villains, Dr. Ford unearths plots by criminals and and assassins with links to Cuba. It is a race against time to meet the demands of the kidnappers and save the boy w...more
Joyce
This was a bit different for a Doc Ford novel. Doc and Tomlinson are in New York when a Senator with whom Doc was going to have dinner was almost kidnapped and a teen aged boy who won an essay contest was taken in her place. The perpetrators, Cuban torturers left over from the Castro regime, bury the boy alive. But he is not what he seems and things progress from there. Doc spends the novel attempting to rescue the boy and eliminate the Cubans. There is lots of action and even more suspense. It...more
Mark
I was turned on to South Florida mysteries years ago by John D. MacDonald...Randy Wayne White continues this traditional genre...a lot of elements of MacDonald emerge in the Doc Ford series like Tomlinson as a Meyer-like aid-de-camp etc...this one is continuation of Ford and his past work for the US government and spying in Cuba...a possible introduction of characters on par with his late Joseph Egret and the eccentric Tucker Gatrell...I'm wondering where he will go with them?
Mathew Carruthers
Great story, but damn...an author this successful should have a top-notch editorial and proof-reading team on staff. There were grammar and typographical errors that I wouldn't tolerate from a high school English paper, much less a best-selling author. I am seeing this more and more in contemporary fiction and it truly disturbs me. I'm just glad I borrowed this book from the library, rather than shelling out my hard-earned coin on a 1st edtion hardback.
Diane
this is the book right before the last one i read (in order). I THINK THIS IS BOOK 14 or 15 AND deep shallow is 15 or 16. i read it out of order. i went online this week and ordered books 1, 2 and 3 in this series. i love the characters and the mystery of the books. . i think there is 18 books in this series. i'm looking forward to seeing how the characters came to be. easy reads. good twist, fast moving, hardly any foul manage and they stay clean.
BJ
I started the Doc Ford series last year, and it quickly became one of my favorites. I even recommended it to my friends. However, a couple books back that changed.

What was a thriller with humor has become more of a humorous book with quirky characters, including the "bad guys," and very little of the thriller that once had me reading late into the night. Doc was previously a competent member of an elite, not-quite-legal group called the NSA--not the group one usually associates with those initi...more
Rob Smith
Every so often I give another swing to a book by Randy Wayne White. Each time I walk away disappointed. There are a number of reasons why I know that happens. One is the embracing of illegal drugs. To me this makes the characters dirty and I immediately don't like them. In this book practically all the "good" guys are involved in illegal drugs of some sort. This puts me in an odd position with the bad guys who don't use drugs. I found myself rooting for them at times. Since the book's intent is...more
Drew Danko
Not sure why, but this novel just did not grab my interest like his other novels have. Maybe I've read too many Doc Ford novels recently and I'm saturated. Just have to wait and see what my reaction is next time Doc Ford and I meet again.
Charlie
I have read most of RWW's books and think highly of most of them. This, however, is the worst so far. Throughout the book I had absolutely zero interest in the kidnapped boy being rescued. I also thought that the connections made between nearly every character and the chance events tying them together were difficult to swallow at best. Almost everyone in the book had some random connection to Florida, globetrotting Cuban torturers, Castro, U.S. Senators, the Skull and Bones fraternity and each o...more
TBML
Doc Ford, marine biologist-cum-black-ops specialist, must disinter some ugly buried secrets along with a kidnap victim who's been buried alive.Unlucky Will Chaser, 14, wins an essay-writing contest that puts him in the wrong place at the wrong time. His woes begin with a conspiracy in Havana to obtain the newly surfaced "Castro File." Sub-plot a little too heavy but overall interesting characters. Fans will want to read earlier works to follow Ford's cast of familiar characters. Louanne
Warreni
White can still spin a compelling tale with his usual crop of odd characters, but everything from Tampa Burn on has lacked something and I think I finally put my finger on it. White is trying to populate his books with the kind of oddball villains that are a Hiaasen specialty and nobody really out-Hiaasens Carl. Also, Doc Ford has become much more of a globetrotter, which is why about 80% of this book takes place outside of Florida. At that point, can you really claim to be a Florida fiction aut...more
Gary Anderson
A kidnap victim buried alive is at the center of Dead Silence, the sixteenth Doc Ford novel by Randy Wayne White. Although the victim's survival countdown is compelling, and the ending has a satisfying and unexpected twist, this book is a little short on two elements that keep me coming back to Doc Ford books. Tomlinson, Doc Ford's erstwhile sidekick, only makes brief appearances, and much of the book takes place in New York rather than Florida.
Peg
Biologist Doc Ford gets caught up in the kidnapping of a 14 year old boy when a Senator friend was the intended nappee. The tale includes twists of Cuban political intrigue, the storied history of Yale's 'secret society' Skull and Bones, and previous generations of his good friend Tomlinson's family from the Hamptons. While this murder mystery was thoroughly engaging, I was mildly disappointed by the lack of 'place' usually associated with White's books set on Sanibel Island. Hence, a "3".
Phair
Mike Debaptiste
Feb 23, 2009 Mike Debaptiste marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery, action, and adventure fans
This is the new Doc Ford, coming out in March. I can't wait to read it! Doc Ford is one of two series for which I drop EVERYTHING to read the new book the day I get it. This one promises to be another heart-pounding trip through the Everglades and beyond as Doc searches for a kidnapped lady senator with whom he is in love, and who has been hidden in the ultimate hiding place by her captors - buried alive!

Yo, I can't wait!!

Randy Wayne White writes Doc Ford!
Gail Baugniet
This author has never disappointed me. His Doc Ford novels grab hold in the first chapter and never let go.

When I first started reading Dead Silence, I thought Mr. White might have become bored with his protagonist, but I guess he was just baiting the reader because this is one of his best books in my opinion.

I agree with the South Florida Sun-Sentinel's review: A thriller that doesn't stop for a breath until the last sentence.
Liz Jenkins
I've always like Randy Wayne White's books - and this one was a good addition to the series. I wish there had been more of his life on Sanibel - having lived in Fort Myers - I always enjoy that part because there is always something I recognize. Met him a few times at events and book signings. Apparently he wrote one of his books here in Franklin, TN - one of the librarians commented on it when I checked out one of his books last year.
Pat Harris
Unsure if anyone noticed but in Will Chaser, I saw a similarity to a short story I read years ago by O Henry-Ransom of Red Chief. But it was an enjoyable break to spend some time with Doc and Tomlinson.
Betty410
Doc Ford is an interesting charactr--capable of almost everything. He is chasing down the kidnappers of a 14 y.o. Indian boy who was snatched instead of a Senator (a friend of Doc). The story jumps from New York city to the Florida Keys trying to get ahead of the Cuban guys who are after Castro's treasures.
Is there really a "Doc Ford's Sanibel Rum Bar & Grille" on Sanibel Island? And would we meet the author there?
Brian Steele
Don't get me wrong, I love popcorn books. Escapist, over-the-top adventures with plot holes the size of a state and two-dimensional characters can offer a fun, relaxing read. But I couldn't finish this. It was as ridiculous as a Clive Cussler book with as Mary Sue-ish a main character as anything Dan Brown has tried to pass off as "fiction." And seriously... I love that crap. Where's my new Andy McDermott novel?
Lchamp
Another Doc Ford thriller. I was disturbed by one unnecessary death that didn't contribute to any story lines, but could have lead to a character appearing in the next book. There was plenty of opportunity to expand that character.

I really like the geography where his exploits occur, and I have visited some of them just because they are a nice day's drive from home. Sanibel Island is a nice place to visit.
Steve
Not as good as some of his others. Another child is kidnapped (didn't he use that before?) and through a series of improbable events it is tied to Tomlinson's past.
Carla
gotta get ahold of a good one! Mr Randy Wayne is resting on his laurels. sure, the book's compelling, but there's some violence that does nothing to advance the plot, he's channeling DeMille and Child and a couple other people, and the spook stuff has never been where he's best. I still adore Tomlinson, but there's not enough of him. But, there's a kid in the book (now channelling Hiaasen) who's great.
Richard
May 05, 2009 Richard rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone who likes a good mystery.
Doc Ford returns from his Florida Marine Biology Research Lab to find a missing child. There is a limited time before the boy will die, and Doc and friends pull out all the stops to rescue him.
There is a very interesting back story of the boy that reads a lot like The Ransom of Red Chief. Coincidentally, the kidnapped boy is Native American.
Lots of tension, drama and conflict to be resolved.
  • Key West Connection
  • Magic City: A Novel (Thorn, #9)
  • The Mango Opera
  • The Night Monster (Jack Carpenter #3)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • The Renegades (Charlie Hood, #2)
  • Force Of Nature (Joe Pickett, #12)
  • Agent X (Steve Vail, #2)
  • Florida Straits
  • The Last Lie (Alan Gregory, #18)
  • Bahamarama
  • Sideswipe: A Hoke Moseley Novel
  • Suitable for Framing (Britt Montero, #3)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #5)
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery #1)
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has...more
More about Randy Wayne White...
Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1) Deep Shadow (Doc Ford, #17) Captiva The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2) Ten Thousand Islands