Start by marking “Death on Beacon Hill (Gilded Age Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death on Beacon Hill (Gilded Age Mystery, #3)

Death on Beacon Hill (Nell Sweeney Historical Mysteries #3)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,286 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Boston governess Nell Sweeney returns in an all-new Gilded Age Mystery
1869: As governess to the Hewitts, Irish immigrant Nell Sweeney belongs to no particular caste--hers is halfway between her Irish brethren and the Boston Brahmin. But now, a double murder involves both maid and mistress--and it will take cooperation by rich and poor alike to solve it.
ebook, ebook edition, 272 pages
Published July 9th 2010 by Smashwords (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Death on Beacon Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on Beacon Hill

Marla
This one seemed slightly different than the first two in how they went about solving the mystery. There wasn't a lot of 'detecting' on Nell and Will's parts, they just went around talking to the people involved until the truth came out. Not that that's not a valid way to solve a mystery. =) And there were still plenty of suspects to speculate about how/why they might have done it. Some interesting new background characters were introduced in such a way as I'm expecting them to show up again in t ...more
Dana
This book was a quick read, and made a good "recreational fluff" book for me. I did not realize it was book three in the series when I picked it up, but the author tosses in enough summary of any important story elements that came before to make the book readable. I was happy to see that the author really did seem knowledgeable about 1869 Boston, and her understanding of ladies clothing of the era seemed more thorough than what I find in some historical fiction.

The plot consists of a combination
Bridgett
Oh what can I say? I adore Nell, Will and P.B. Ryan!

Another great book! Although I found a bunch of spelling mistakes in the nook eddition of this one and even one little writing mistake!
At one point Dr. Foster gets up of the park bench where he sat next to Emily and Nell sits down in the space he vacated. Then not three sentences later he sits down and puts his arm around Emily. Well either he sat in Nell's lap, or he sat down on the other side of Emily and it was not spelled out..Things like t
Edward Beavers
Boston Celebrity Murdered

Boston Celebrity Murdered

An excellent telling of a murder that brings a wealth of characters in the story and gives a hint of their reasons for possibly being the murderer.
Stacy Dempsey
I started reading this series last week when book 1 was a free book on Kindle. I adore the characters and cannot wait to read on.

This was my favorite of the first three books. I enjoy the constantly evolving relationship between Nell & Will, and the writing truly follows the politeness and often overlooked complexity of life during the period. The author manages to fill in some background on the characters throughout the text so that you can understand the character interactions without hav
Linda
Book #2 of the Gilded Age mysteries and the first one that I read in this series. Governess Nell Sweeney is fond of the Hewitt's driver, Brady, so when he comes to her and begs her to clear his niece young Fiona's name, Nell swings into action. All of Boston is talking about the murder of the famous retired actress Virginia Kimball. Her dead servant girl Fiona is found in the same room, both fatally shot. The police is quick to blame the actress' murder on Fiona, since she's Irish, ignoring all ...more
Estara
Again very detailed description of the aftermath of a murder scene and fascinating insights into forensic science of the time, and I finally have the impression the romance is taking off (considering the internal time frame it all makes sense) - still too little Gracie, though ^^.

I love the introduction of a very flamboyant minor character who will show up in the next book as well, and was led along by the red herring until the end again.
Allison
Death on Beacon Hill is a short, low-key cozy mystery. There's not any personal danger to Nell or Will, and the murder reveal is low stakes, very matter-of-fact. So it's not really a thrilling sort of mystery. I did enjoy the puzzle, and how the relationship between Nell and Will is progressing (or not). They spend plenty of time together in this one and the tension is palpable at times.
Li
Even though I read the first three books in quick succession, I thought each book felt refreshingly different. Loved the chemistry between Nell and Will in this one - the romance arc is almost as strong as the main mystery plot IMO.
Tim
ive read the first 3 in this series. well written and from a great, more proper time in our culture. great stories to pass the time.
Rusty
Set in post-Civil War Boston, the author creates a most likable character in Nell Sweeney. When a retired former actress is murdered along with her maid who supposedly murdered her employer, Nell seeks to discover if this is the case. Her surrogate father, Brady, is the maid's uncle. Devastated by her death and the verdict, he assures Nell that his niece would never do such a thing.

As Nell begins to investigate, she encounters Will Hewitt, the father of her daughter. They have remained friends a
V.r. Christensen
These mysteries are so much fun. Rarely predictable. And even when one guesses it just about right, the hows and whys of it all turn out to complex they mystery so much, one wonders how Ms. Ryan imagines it all. And yet, for all the complexity, they never seem overly contrived, or confusing. It's like a great ball of string that eventually gets unwound. For all the fun of watching a mystery get solved, of a murder and its evidence and its suspects being examined, I think what truly has me hooked ...more
Adrienne Testa
Nell Sweeney, the Hewitt's governess and Will Hewitt come together to investigate the death of an actress, Virginia Kimball and her maid, Fiona Gannon. Nell Sweeney is asked by the Hewitt's driver Brady to investigate the death of his niece, Fiona. Virginia Hewitt kept a diary of her affairs with the rich and powerful of Boston. Her diary detailed the intimate details of their sexual relations and she then blackmailed them to kept their secrets. When Virginia Hewitt and her maid Fiona turn up de ...more
Gayle Francis Moffet
A solid entry into the series. It starts pretty slow, and I missed Violet getting more than a mention, but it's also the midpoint of the series, so it's understandable the focus was more on Will and Nell's growing relationship than on Nell's relationship with Violet or even the mystery as a whole.

There was a lot of people just reciting information all at once in this book, and it was a bit tiring especially with how snappy the investigations have been in the first two books.

But, Will and Nell a
Deborah A.
Great characterization

Great characterization

I Love The Nell Sweeney Series by P.B. Ryan. I must try her historical fiction as well. This Murder Series has a good fast pace, and you just can't help liking Nell, Will, and Gracie.
Sharanya
Almost as good as the first!! I loved finding out about Virginia Kimball and her world - I almost wish I knew her before she died, myself! The conflict was well situated, so that it kept you guessing right till the very end, and the climax extremely well done. As always, Will captured my heart and squeezed it a few times for good measure, and his and Nell's interactions were both sweet and gratifying. I enjoyed the secondary characters, especially Isaac Foster and Orville Pratt! Nell really came ...more
Cheryl
This installment of the Nell Sweeney/Will Hewitt mysteries was great! A maid and her mistress both killed in what appears to be a double murder. The mistress being a former paramour of Will's and a once famous but now faded actress. The maid is the niece of Brady (I think it's Brady) and she has been accused post-mortem of the murder of Virginia Kimball. Nell sets out to clear her name and prove that she didn't do it. Of course, as usual, Will's brother Harry is a prime suspect (again? really?) ...more
Sally
When Nell's dear friend and co-worker for the Hewitt's, asks her to help clear the name of his niece who has been accused of murder and thievery, and killed during the alleged crime, Nell takes on some of the most influential men in the city in order to find out just what did happen. She meets up with Will Hewitt, who knowing the sort of trouble Nell can find herself in while doing her own investigations, offers to assist. Nell is getting very attached to Will, but with her position as governess ...more
Susieqkw
I can not get enough of Miss Nell Sweeney and Dr. Will Hewitt! I highly recommend these easy reads by P.B. Ryan. They can be read as a series or stand alone very well. I enjoy the forensic investigation aspect of each book too:)
~Leslie~
Loved the third book in the Nell Sweeney mystery series. In this one, Nell is asked to investigate the murder of a maid who is related to Brady the Coachman. Will Hewitt invites himself to assist her. The story is a little more straightforward than the others but every bit as good. The author does such a good job of creating interesting mysteries that are complex and multi-layered. Nell and Will continue the slow brewing of their relationship and this is the only thing that keeps it from being a ...more
Margali
I really love these characters. The mystery part is not so breathtaking, but I want to continue hearing the story of Nell and Will's evolving relationship.
Vanessa
This was the first book in this series that I read the first time around, and I enjoyed just as much this time through. I've read enough to historical mysteries in my day to appreciate that this is really one of the better ones.
Lisa
Every time I think I figured out who the murderer is I'm wrong! Another enjoyable story and I really enjoy Nell and Will.
Dorie
Another great read by this author. I'm really enjoying this series. In this one Nell does a favor for her friend Brady (the Hewitts' driver), whose murdered niece is posthumously accused of theft and murder of her mistress, actress Virginia Kimball.

Things I especially liked in this book: that Will is settling down, purchased a home, trying to stop smoking, and has obtained a paying job (albeit supposedly temporary) as well as getting to know his illegitimate little girl Gracie. I wonder what br
Linda Ruby
Depicts life in post Civil War Boston.
Linda
A famous actress and her maid are found murdered, and the police have rushed to 'solve' the case without damaging the reputations of any leading citizens of Boston. Our heroine, Nell Sweeney, gets involved because the murdered maid is the niece of Nell's household's servant, who wants her name to be cleared of any wrongdoing. A mystery to the end. I can' t wait until Nell and her employer's son, Will, admit their love and get married, but since that would probably mean the end of the series I'll ...more
Annie
Eminently readable.
Judy Iliff
I'm really enjoying this series. I do, however, think I'd better read something else before I read #4.

In Beacon Hill, Will and Nell again work together to discover the true murderer this time of a famous actress. Ryan, again, excels with her setting and character descriptions. Her plot lines, in my opinion, are unique and keep you guessing.

If you liked the first 2, you'll like this one, too!
This one went through the entire investigation unbelievably quickly, and some of the confessions/evidence that Nell and Will turfed up seemed so unlikely. I had a harder time suspending reality this time around, and the only thing that really has me coming back at this point is the hints of romance between Will and Nell. If it weren't for that, I probably would have abandoned the series after this one.
Sallie
The mystery started off well enough, but the crime was easily solved by an evening of interviews/confessions leading directly to the murderer (and yet another confession). Along with the disappointing plot, I've finally had enough of the lispy speech the author has chosen to give young Gracie. I know how children speak; I don't need to read words like "pwetty". Four stars for the writing.
  • The Glass House (Captain Lacey, #3)
  • Murder on Washington Square (Gaslight Mystery, #4)
  • Paper Woman (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 1)
  • Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia, #4)
  • Game of Patience (Aristide Ravel, #3)
Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mystery Series, #1) Murder in a Mill Town (Gilded Age Mystery, #2) Murder on Black Friday (Gilded Age Mystery, #4) Murder In the North End (Gilded Age Mystery, #5) A Bucket of Ashes (Gilded Age Mystery, #6)

“A lady’s capacity for forgiveness tends to be in inverse proportion to the freshness of the transgression.” 0 likes