Start by marking “Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation (Adobe Reader)” as Want to Read:

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  892 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Winner of the 2011 Jolt Excellence Award!
Getting software released to users is often a painful, risky, and time-consuming process. This groundbreaking new book sets out the principles and technical practices that enable rapid, incremental delivery of high quality, valuable new functionality to users. Through automation of the build, deployment, and testing process, and i
Published July 27th 2010 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about Continuous Delivery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Continuous Delivery

André Gomes
This is the best book about Deployment I've read so far.

Filled with lots of good advice for improvement and automation of a deployment process.

I loved the concepts about deployments with no downtime and also found their maturity model a good guideline for improvement.

I definitely recommend the reading for software development folks.
Yevgeniy Brikman
I'm a bit torn on this book: on the one hand, it is a very thorough look at a number of important, but often overlooked topics; on the other hand, the book is not a very effective teacher of this important material. The biggest problem is the lack of real world examples. Chapters are mostly huge blocks of advice: the advice is good, but not memorable or actionable in the way it is presented. There need to be far more examples of real world systems with both good approaches and bad approaches dis ...more
Chris Wood
Technologists operate in a fast-moving environment. Languages rise and fall. Application strategies constantly shift across new hardware. Presentation layers move between thick and thin client across desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone architectures. For that reason, technology writers produce materials that have a relatively short shelf life.

Every now and then, books are published which make a lasting contribution to the field of computer science and software delivery (i.e. Knuth's Art of Comput
Sergey Shishkin
A very good overview of the topic. Although given it's 500 pages thick, the book could be more specific about dealing with credentials in production environments and data migrations. The companion website is another missed oportunity. Still 4 stars for the lack of a better alternative.
Rod Hilton
Continuous Delivery is a book that every agile team who wants to advance together should read. It is a handbook for every possible angle about delivering software continuously.

A team must first learn how to be agile. Estimating, planning, working together, following good engineering practices - these are tough adjustments for completely chaotic teams. But once a team feels like it has embraced agile, this is the exact book they should all read to make their software development cycle pain-free.

T
Wouter
Despite not being a fan of the bible like Martin Fowler signature series books, I managed to extract a lot of useful things out of this one I didn't know yet or thought was the right thing to do but turns out it's not. some sections are too lenghty and not really in depth and others are not, but otherwise it does live up to it's expectations. really worth reading if you are into creating software in general.
John Fultz
Some very interesting ideas on rethinking the idea of software delivery. A big plus is that the authors seem to have real experience in a variety of software production contexts including my own sphere, commercial shrinkwrap software (about which many books...cough...I'm looking at you Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change...have absolutely no clue). On the down side is that structurally, the book circles around a lot, repeating points over and over again. Could have done with some tight ...more
Torben Rasmussen
Excellent book. This is in many aspects destined to become a classic.
Major parts of the book will stay relevant for many years, but there are also quite many parts that will quickly become outdated. Luckily the authors provide up-to-date material on the companion website.
Anyway, Seldom have I read a book so rich with details. From version control systems to build
systems to environment provisioning and automated acceptance testing.
It is one of those books that collects all the current state o
Noah
This book is best overview I have read about the DevOps movement in IT. It is encyclopedic in coverage of its subject and has the additional bonus of being technology agnostic, for the most part. The only downside to the book is the length: some points could be made succinctly.
Alex
Book have some interesting thoughts on continuous delivery. I don't agree with branching in that book.
Deploying data chapter is too small there.
Maybe it is good for management, but definitely not good enough for person who would like to implement Continuous Delivery in organization.
Olenka
This book is definitely worth reading. It thoroughly describes how to create an automated process of building, testing and delivering the software and - what was important for me - how to do it from scratch. It describes a lot of good practices which should be applied when developing software.

Although this book might seem too long and some topics are discussed in more or less details in more than one chapter, I would still recommend it to the developpers, especially those who are not satisfied w
Roman
This book was an interesting read and makes a pretty strong case for release early, release often, automate as much as possible. It had some good advice and examples of how to approach these problems, but some parts seemed to have addressed different (and unrelated) levels of abstraction. For example chapter on "Advanced Source Control" goes into history of source control while chapter on "Configuration Management" has examples of Puppet scripts in it. Admittedly these topics are interesting but ...more
Jan-Joost Bouwman
Essential for anybody thinking about DevOps and Continuous Delivery
Mini
Excellent, A Bible for Release Managers and CI automation
Chris
This book presents a good overview of the components needed to implement continuous delivery. It definitely got me thinking about the ways that my organization can improve our processes, but I fear that at times this book glosses over important details. I am reasonably sure that actually implementing changes like those described in the book will be fraught with pitfalls that I cannot anticipate and that were not covered in the book. I'm sold on the concept of continuous delivery, but I'm not con ...more
Sergio Inclan
Excellent book, clean and to the point.
Brian
It's really good as a reference book.
Sebastian Gebski
It IS a very good book and its content is essential for anyone interested in CI / mature devops processes. Why just 4 starst then? It's faaar too wordy - you could easily put the same content (in terms of meaningful information) in less pages. I just could not get rid of a feeling that I'm reading the same sentences for hundredth time... But regardless of that, this is A-MUST-READ for anyone deeplyn involved in producing professional software on enterprise level.
Goncalo
Great introduction but runs way too long - Instead of 500 pages you could have just the main content in under 200 with some more succinct writing.

All the stories do not replace the active development of CD.
Vladimir
Not a bad book, but it could be much shorter. Authors tell you why and how to improve software delivery via automation of all processes involved and how to manage it, but this information is very repetetive.
Tom
A fantastic book that should be read by all software developers. Continuous delivery will be a commonplace practice in many software shops and IT departments in the very near future, and this book is THE reference to read in order to get a firm understanding of this important topic now. It has so many ideas that I'm anxious to immediately apply to my work. I can't say enough good things about this book.
Larry
Terribly long-winded, repetitive, and dull. For such an important and interesting topic, this book really disappointed. If this topic is new to you, I recommend reading only the "Summary" sections of each chapter. If you're already familiar at all with the concept of continuous delivery, I recommend skipping this book entirely for a Wikipedia article or blog article.
Miguel Alho
Really good book on delivering software projects sucessfully, especialy focused on the deployment pipeline.

the book is tech-agnostic, and presents solutions for each stage of the development / deployment process, with enphasis on the importance of testing. Lots of "smells" are presented also, so that you may be aware of potential problems.

Very well written.
Yuval Yeret
Very comprehensive read
I found myself skimming lots of details that I assume active sysadmins and build/configuration management engineers would drool over.
I'm still on the lookout for a more concise and to the point book on continuous deployment, but until that arrives, this book is the masterpiece, even if you only read several chapters of it.
Ronald
A very good discussion around a complex topic. You don't realize how many pieces to this puzzle there are until they break it down for you. Since "one size does not fit all", this book helped me to understand the concepts, which practices generate the "most bang for the buck" and how we might craft a CD pipeline that will work in my shop. Thumbs up!
rob
This is more for the people doing the work of creating the continuous delivery pipeline than for the non-technical troublemakers pushing for better processes.
Ben Bays
An excellent collection of best practices on the subject of continuous delivery. It covers a broad range of topics throughout the entire deployment pipeline. I'd recommend this book to any software engineers, regardless of where you're at in your career. My only complaint is that authors repeat themselves.... a lot.
James Couball
My teams have found that TDD + BDD + CD = AWESOME. They have been making changes with very few defects compared to before. I particularly like this book because of the advice it had on automated acceptance tests. This book provides a complete view on what you will need to do to automate from commit to production.
Shaun Mouton
Not bad, honestly, but I expected more. I think that if you've already engaged with delivery systems and worked through the issues on a few projects, you could probably take a pass on this one, although it's a decent enough primer. I'd probably like it more if I'd read it earlier in my career.
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk
  • Specification by Example
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Domain-Specific Languages
  • Xunit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Doctor Fun Modernist Travel Writing: Intellectuals Abroad

“It is essential for the smooth running of the delivery process to fly people back and forth periodically, so that each local group has personal contact with members from other groups.” 0 likes
“There should be two tasks for a human being to perform to deploy software into a development, test, or production environment: to pick the version and environment and to press the “deploy” button.” 0 likes