Mr. Gauguin's Heart

Mr. Gauguin's Heart

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Based on a true story, Mr. Gauguin’s Heart is about the birth of imagination and the solace of art. Young Paul Gauguin sailed from Denmark to Peru with his family: his mother, his father, his sister, Marie, and his odd-looking, imaginary orange dog. At first being on the boat was fun; he loved to walk his dog on the ship’s bridge. Then one day, Paul found his mother in tea...more
Published September 11th 2007 by Tundra Books (first published November 17th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Gauguin's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Gauguin's Heart

babyhippoface
Odd.

When young Paul Gaugin (yes, the famous painter) is on an ocean voyage with his family, his father dies suddenly. His mother does a poor job of explaining the death to Paul, who watches a red balloon float away and thinks it is his father's heart. A few weeks later he meets a man painting pictures in the park. The man encourages Paul to paint, and Paul paints a giant red dot. Despite what others think, Paul knows he has painted his father's heart.

I told you it was odd. I'm not sure what the...more
Jillian
It took me a whole two seconds to find out that the book could hardly be called historical or factual. Gauguin's father died when he was 18 months old, and (from what I could find) the family was definitely not Danish - though I could be wrong there. Made me much more disappointed in the book after learning that.
The Styling Librarian
Mr. Gauguin’s Heart by Marie-Danielle Croteau, illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault, translated by Susan Ouriou - 3/4th grade and up -beautiful touching way to approach the topic of death with a child… but also touching for seeing the development of art and creativity in Paul Gauguin. Brilliant book, gorgeous illustrations.
Julia
The full five stars are for the illustrations, which are magnificent. The text itself was not as satisfying, but it was a very cool book nonetheless.
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2009
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2008
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2008
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2008
george
george marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2008
Raconte Moi La Mer L'autobus Colere (Picture Books) Des Citrouilles Pour Cendrillon (Premier Roman, 81) De L'or Dans Les Sabots (Roman Jeunesse, 67) Gabby's School by the Sea