Start by marking “The Random House Book of Mother Goose” as Want to Read:
The Random House Book of Mother Goose

The Random House Book of Mother Goose

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  21 reviews
An illustrated collection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes, including well-known ones such as "Bah, Bah, Black Sheep" and "Little Boy Blue" and less familiar ones such as "Doctor Foster went to Gloucester" and "When clouds appear like rocks and towers."
Published September 12th 1986 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Random House Book of Mother Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Random House Book of Mother Goose

Caitlin
The Random House Book of Mother Goose, selected and illustrated by Arnold Lobel. (Random House, 1986). 173 p. Mother Goose picture book.

Summary: Arnold Lobel selects over 300 nursery rhymes, both familiar and obscure. He creates a unique illustration for each one, no matter how short or how long.

Critique: a) Lobel’s unique take on these traditional nursery rhymes is found in his exhaustive collection of illustrations. Ranging from tiny framed drawings, to full-sleeve pictures, Lobel’s pencil an
Lacey Luce
The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose
By Arnold Lobel
Lobel, A. (1986). The arnold lobel book of mother goose. New York: Random House.

1. Mother Goose Picture Book

2. This book contains all of Mother Goose nursery rhymes. There are over 306 timeless collections. It includes many well-known favorites with some other that might be new to you! Each rhyme is illustrated with a great style and humor.

3. Illustrations

b. The illustrations for this book are wonderfully drawn, and there is one for each nurs
Mae
Summary: This is a comprehensive book of Mother Goose Rhymes that includes popular poems like "Humpty Dumpty" and more obscure ones like "I Love Coffee". They are indexed by subject.

Critique: Humor. It is easy to see why this book won the Caldecott Medal for Illustrations. The poems alone range from interesting to scary, but without the illustrations, they would remain so.

Example: For example, "Mary, Mary Quite Contrary" is illustrated very literately with little maids sprouting all in a row. I
Brittany
Edited and illustrated by Arnold lobel, 173 pages

Summary: this Caldecott winner is a collection of familiar and traditional mother goose tales, with the illustrations and rhymes humorously connected.

Critique:

A) illustrative style
B) lobel uses a traditional, yet humorous style in order to describe and convey what each nursery rhyme is portraying. The reader will be able to see that the illustrations are completely balanced with the text.
C) specifically, on page 17 , Lobel illustrates the familia
Rebecca Thomas
1.) Genre- Mother Goose Picture Book

2.) Summary- This book is a collection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes.

3.)a.) Area of focus- Illustrations

3.)b.) The illustrations are really what sets this Mother Goose book apart from others. Every page is covered with detailed and carefully construed pictures to help readers understand the rhymes.

3.)c.) The examples of illustrations for this book are endless, but page 42 represents the rhyme of: Mary, Mary, quite contrary. Here the reader can easily see the
Ariel Russell
The genre for the book is poetry and the intended age range is elementary school.

This book is a collection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes.

Nursery rhymes can be used for rhythm and patterns in words.

The book is wonderful to read to kids, especially at night time before bed.

The cover of the book and the illustrations allow the reader to get an understanding of the nursery rhyme itself.
Lisa Carroll
I am a fan of Arnold Lobel, but I didn't care for this version of Mother Goose. There was a wonderful variety of rhymes to read. Many were remembered from my own childhood and many I had never heard of before. I didn't enjoy the artwork as much as I thought I would. The colors were too dark and dreary for my taste, especially since some Mother Goose rhymes are on the dark side to begin with. I prefer brighter, more colorful illustrations. I like how the picutes have a vintage tone to them, but i ...more
Heidi
Ahh. More nursery rhymes. Again, some I'm familiar with and yet they were not as I knew them. Quite a few that I have never heard before. Illustrations are much better than Cousins', though there were a couple I was a bit shocked to see there. Is it that I'm not a fan of nursery rhymes, or that I'm just not meant to read the book cover-to-cover. Well, what ever it may be, if I want my children to know/hear nursery rhymes, then they can learn them the same why I did--without pictures.
Ninon
Very beautiful drawings.
Very odd rhymes from time to time..
Rebecca
We really enjoyed this Mother Goose book.
For one, it is HUGE! Tons of rhymes.
For two, the illustrations are great. A lot of times, you see the picture and it reminds you just how absurd most of these poems are. The pictures also help with context clues for some of the words that aren't used in mainstream English anymore.
My daughter enjoyed recognizing some of the poems from other books we've read.
Nikki
This is a fun version of mother goose. Brought back that feeling of childhood. :) I really enjoyed the illustrations, though they aren't super colorful and not sure how much they would attract kids today. I only read some excerpts, but they were really fun. It's over 100 pages, which makes for a great collection for kids to go back to again and again.
Child960801
This is Mother Goose again, but I didn't even know half of them. And the ones I did know they had extra verses for and stuff.
Amy
A beautiful collection of classic rhymes. Lobel's classic illustrations provide the reader with a feast for the eyes as s/he listens/reads nursery rhymes (both popular and lesser known). A great addition to any personal library - may make a great baby shower gift!
Bree
Notes:
this book is MASSIVE -- heavy and thick
too many rhymes on each page and too many obscure ones for my taste
the only thing I really liked was the art
we prefer Sylvia Long, Blanche Wright or Iona Opie versions
Melissa
Finally finished this one with my son! I never get tired of Arnold Lobel's illustrations, they bring back fond memories of childhood. I loved introducing my son to these rhymes, but also the work of Arnold Lobel. :)
Nydia Munoz
this book teaches children rhyming. It also teaches children repetition.

Learning Extension: The children can pick their favorite poem and read it out loud or discuss why they have choose that poem.
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2015 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
I really loved the illustrations with this compilation of Mother Goose rhymes. This has been a joy reading with my youngest.
Samantha
This book is full of classic nursery rhymes and poems. It's a good book to read in parts.
Jacob
I liked this book because I like poems.

this book was read to me by mom.
Beverly
a wonderful collection
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Aug 30, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Jes Brandon
Jes Brandon marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Egermeier's Bible Story Book
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • Here's a Penny
  • Five True Dog Stories
  • No Children, No Pets
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • A Grain of Rice
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes
  • The Random House Book of Poetry for Children
  • Sing a Song of Popcorn: Every Child's Book Of Poems
  • The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...
Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1) Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2) Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3) Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4) The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)