Start by marking “Courtesan” as Want to Read:
Courtesan

Courtesan

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Jaswinder Saroya believed that her research in the area of Hyperspace Field Theory would benefit everyone: Family Traders, the InterPlanetary Corporations, Earth's Colonies and governments alike. She erred in not considering commercial and political consequences. Now, someone wants to steal or bury her research and, perhaps, her with it. With no way to fight this unknown f ...more
Published June 3rd 2010

To ask other readers questions about Courtesan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Courtesan

Nathan Lowell
Apr 14, 2011 Nathan Lowell rated it it was amazing
Boulter does a great take on the "trade universe" with nods to Lee and Miller's Liadan Universe, but in a book that is all his own. The tension between the leads, the elements of danger, and the political intrigue all weave together to catch the reader.

Very nicely done.

And I like the new cover.
Maria Hammarblad
Aug 22, 2010 Maria Hammarblad rated it it was amazing
Jaswinder is a very devoted scientist, living her life happily engulfed in her work. So engulfed is she that she fails to pay attention to one thing; the financial interests of the powers that be. Before she knows what is happening, she has stumbled into danger's way, and finds herself on the run from people trying to capture her, or why not kill her while they're at it.

I stumbled upon "Courtesan" by accident, bought it, and started to read. As it so often is, real life got in between, and I ha
Bigal-sa
May 01, 2011 Bigal-sa rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
It was very refreshing to read a book that was as well edited and formatted for the Kindle as this one. I could actually read and enjoy the story without having to proofread it for errors (I only found two: 'andf' instead of 'and' and 'here, here' instead of 'hear, hear'.

The author has a really good writing style, which kept my attention throughout the book. However, I did feel the plot was rather contrived (the reason for 4*) - why did Jazz have to keep her past a secret once they were in deep
Keith Hughes
Mar 15, 2011 Keith Hughes rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I read this book because Nathan Lowell, author of the Trader's Tales series, told me to. Well, not directly, but he did recommend it in a blog post so I bought it from Kindle store.

This was a very enjoyable story with a believable world and heroine. The interactions of the trader families and the big corporations was rather more competitive than in the Trader's tales, but it was still an interesting environment. The interactions within the trading family that is a big part of the story is also v
Billy
Jan 25, 2012 Billy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book reads like a season of some sci-fi TV series, and indeed would fit in seamlessly with shows like 'Firefly'. Engrossing world filled with interesting characters that are actually human and likeable, this is a really enjoyable sci-fi tale that leaves you wanting more by the end of the book.

Doesn't quite have the epic feel of a classic, but a really enjoyable read nevertheless.
Helen
Apr 10, 2012 Helen rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, ebook
This was a nice, quick read. However, I kind of had trouble in believing some of the aspects. Primarily that the hero felt anything for the heroine (although it's a shortish story so that may be it) and the slight irratance of a stupidly bad case of academic ivory towers syndrome.

I liked it, but it felt so unfinished and unresolved to me. So, a 3 to 3.5 stars.
Tiffany
Jan 16, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I really liked this one. Kind of fun space book that is a quick read and has a satisfying ending.
Keith
Jun 12, 2011 Keith rated it really liked it
Really well written space opera
Imdanield
Imdanield rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
norm groux
norm groux marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Bill Schjelderup
Bill Schjelderup rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Keith Cruz
Keith Cruz rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Jerry W Stachowski
Jerry W Stachowski rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Linda Williams
Linda Williams rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Ray
Ray rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Patrick A Terpening
Patrick A Terpening rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Gary Evesson
Gary Evesson rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Layne R. Hefner
Layne R. Hefner rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2015
NIKNAKSHACKMAN
NIKNAKSHACKMAN rated it did not like it
Jun 14, 2015
Charles Beckmann
Charles Beckmann rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015
Pam
Pam added it
May 08, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Judith
Judith rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Glen Dickinson
Glen Dickinson rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
James Laurence
James Laurence marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
D.A. Boulter hates talking about himself in the 3rd person. Finds it annoying.

Since my early school days, Science Fiction and Fantasy have intrigued me, starting with Heinlein, whose Starship Troopers I read in the middle 60s, long before I knew about the social and political themes it carried. My seminal year, though, came in 1974 when I got my hands on a copy of Frank Herbert's "Dune", which fas
More about D.A. Boulter...