Start by marking “The Kid Stays in the Picture” as Want to Read:
The Kid Stays in the Picture

The Kid Stays in the Picture

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  2,156 Ratings  ·  178 Reviews
Far more expansive than You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again, The Kid Stays in the Picture by Hollywood giant and legendary "bad boy" Robert Evans is an intimate and fascinating account of his rise, fall, and rise again in show business that makes for a harrowing read. From his early days in radio to popularizing "women in pants" as part of Evan-Picone, to being "disc ...more
Audio CD
Published September 1st 2005 by Phoenix Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Kid Stays in the Picture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kid Stays in the Picture

Mar 22, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is Evans arrogant? Absolutely. Would I want to work for him? Not on your life. Was this a great book? You bet your ass it was.

Robert Evans went from a vague business career, to modest fame as an actor, to become one of the great Hollywood power players of the 60's and 70's. He headed Paramount or worked closely with the studio during the making of Love Story, Rosemary's Baby, The Godfather, Chinatown, Popeye, and a host of others.

He's got fantastic stories, and a singular voice (figuratively and
Dec 31, 2009 Kid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had some trouble with this review - figuring out what to write. First of all this is a ridiculously good page turner - never a dull moment. Secondly some of Hollywood's sacred cows get slaughtered. Coppola comes off like a man lacking the discipline to realize his vision. This book is exhibit one on the evidence table against the fallacy of the auteur - making a movie is a huge collaboration - and sometimes the producer is the driving force behind an incredible accomplishment.

There's a lot
Dec 29, 2014 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the most purely entertaining books I've ever read. Robert Evans is clearly a narcissistic man, but he knows how to tell the story of his fascinating life with panache.
Mario Sundar
Feb 25, 2014 Mario Sundar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the quintessential novel about THE glamorous life led by "The Most Interesting Man in Show Business" - Robert Evans. HBO's "Entourage" is a cheap rip-off of this movie, with actual plotlines seemingly stolen from this book. Robert Evans, along with Jack Nicholson, Warren Beatty, Henry Kissinger - now THAT's an Entourage.

Never a dull moment in this humdinger of a read, the book roars through the 60s, 70s through a haze of psychedelic creativity ("Love Story," "The Godfather," "Chinatown,
Kim Wong
Jul 14, 2014 Kim Wong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baby, this was a fucking enjoyable read. You think the cinematic version captured the essence of Robert Evans? That movie got nothing on the audiobok version of The Kid Stays in the Picture read by Robert Evans himself. Controversial figure? You bet. Fascinating story? Oh, God, yes.

I remember wondering how I would burn one of those trial memberships that have been floating around. So what does Kim do? He adds Robert Evans's The Kid Stays in the Picture to his cart and signs up. Pain
Marc Leverette
Oct 24, 2013 Marc Leverette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After listening to the audiobook in one straight shot, I'm definately a fan of Evans as the cultural hero/oddball he's become (think Hunter Thompson living in Beverly Hills and making fun of Warren Beatty's dickless image on a poster and you're sort of heading in the right narrative direction), I'm still totally baffled as to the events that must have played out to get him in as head of production. Maybe only Korshak knows what the fuck ever actually went down. Should be heard not read probably.
Robert Haines
Sep 27, 2011 Robert Haines rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was only able to get through three-fourths of this book. it is an ego trip and I knew that going in but by the tenth time Evans judged another man's merit by describing him as a "cocksman" I was done. I really wanted some detail about how films like the Godfather and China Town were made. Evans is so self absorbed his only concerns are material possessions (house, clothes, cars, women). I got to the point where I felt slimy and embarrassed to be a member of the male species.
Nov 22, 2009 Ris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Emily for the loan of this book on tape. It's priceless to hear Evans' drawl... "Was it a good book? You bet your ass it was."
Nathan Rabin
Oct 23, 2008 Nathan Rabin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is this the greatest book ever written? You bet your ass it is.
Jeff Swystun
May 03, 2015 Jeff Swystun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something smarmy and discomforting about Evans' remembrances. It is not the cocaine conviction or the 'Cotton Club Murder'. Nor the many marriages and dalliances. To say he had a wild, eventful life is an understatement. The discomfort comes from a dark sadness that hangs over this cautionary tale.

Evans seems drawn to the dark even though he has been bronzed by the sun his whole life. As Head of Production at Paramount he oversaw Barefoot in the Park, The Odd Couple, Rosemary's Baby, Tr
Nov 17, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, yay. I sort of love when things that I picture in my head are pretty much exactly that way. Meaning, I had the whole "Old Hollywood" stereotype in my brain forever - the phones slamming down, deals being made, everyone fucking everyone else. And, well, it's just fabulous that it was true. Maybe not if you lived it, but for a reader, it's great.

Evans writes how I assume he speaks. There's a constant jumpiness, as if he's completely coked out, flitting from thought to thought. He made his life
Lady of the Lake
This is the autobiography of Robert Evans, actor producer head of Paramount Studios. Started in radio as a young boy... Got his big break in film playing Rhonda Shearers (she was a great actress way back when...) husband in a film. Robert Evans is the only actor ever to head up a major film studio. He is the man behind such block busters as The Godfather and China Town. He was married to Ali Magraw and Phyllis George as well as others And dated many starlets and models. He was cdiends with Carey ...more
Dec 23, 2013 Durdles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
Fascinating and confusing in equal measure. Quite how Robert Evans managed to remain poor throughout his career took some doing. If he hadn't been such a gambler he'd never have achieved anything. A safe bet would have have left him a discontented multi-millionaire and there would be of no interest to the reader. As things are we can enjoy the Hollywood lifestyle vicariously. Apparently the audio book is the best version to have; Evans has the great voice and acting ability to make this a sought ...more
Mar 02, 2007 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: voyeurs
Probably the most fascinating man in Hollywood. This book is just incredibly entertaining and well written, and the documentary that was made after is is one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. I am not lying.

Robert Evans has lived about 30 lifetimes and he keeps going. Most notable of being a major producer (chinatown, the godfather, rosemary's baby, harold and maude) and running paramount, going bankrupt and making it all back.

You'll love it if you are in awe of people like Warren B
Jul 11, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining glimpse at the entertainment industry from the 50's to the early 90's. Robert Evans has obviously seen and done it all. It has a little bit of a Forrest Gump feel in that you wonder if he was really such an integral part (or almost part) of things like the Sharon Tate murder (he was supposed to be at Polansky's house that night) or the crafting of iconic movies like The Godfather. I think he probably glosses over his involvement in other things like heavy drug use. Regardless, ...more
Jul 30, 2007 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Evans is hilarious without trying to be hilarious (I don't THINK he's trying). If you've seen the Mr. Show sketch with Bob Odenkirk as God (based on Robert Evans) reading the Bible as a book-on-tape, please note that this impersonation is spot on.
To give you a taste: Did I read this book? You bet I did. Did I like it? Does a brand-new baby crap his pants? Would I recommend this book to friends? Baby, if you have to ask, you ain't been listening.
Aug 09, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite Patton Oswalt's referring to this book as Satan dictating his memoirs, I thought it was a much more sad tale of rags to riches to . . . well, rich rags I suppose. A cautionary tale and funny book as well.
Roberta Trevisan Marques de Souza
I don't know what to say about this. I just had finished. I will write some decent sentences one day, but I had learned a lot with book.
Nov 02, 2015 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not great literature, but it's pretty funny. Better on audio book because Robert Evans has such a unique voice.
Mar 18, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love it. I am a few chapters from the end but am slowing down because I dont want it to end. The quality of writing is patchy, but fuckit, who cares! The story is worth it.
Apr 05, 2009 R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books...I have read and listened to it probably a dozen times. You have to get a copy of the audio book, though. This book is well told, not well written.
Steve Coscia
Dec 28, 2009 Steve Coscia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reads like fiction. This guy was part of motion picture history. Plus, the behind the scenes politics is fascinating.
Mar 09, 2014 Aaron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can you write an entire book in rhetorical questions? Apparently you can. Does it make for a good book? You bet your ass it doesn't.
Gary Boland
Some good anecdotes and some interesting hollywood history. The tone feels like the author wrote it to settle scores however
Sep 18, 2015 Realini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kid Stays in the Picture by Robert Evans
Very entertaining, but alas the author has such a big ego that it interferes with the joy of reading this book

Until near the end, this book has offered an extremely entertaining and informative read, especially for a fan of the movies.
The reader learns so much about various deals, inside jokes, rude and mean characters, but also delightful people.
We are told from the start about the journey of one of the best movies of all time- The Godfather- in whic
Nov 06, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wisely, Evans begins the book by talking about how there are three sides to every story: yours, mine, and the truth. And while I have no doubt what Evans talks about in this great book is what he believes to be the truth as best he can tell it, I have no doubt that that the other side to many of his stories are just as interesting.

The one truth, however, that can't be denied to Evans are the films he produced and his influence on the quality of those films. Strangely, many of his biggest films a
M. Milner
Apr 07, 2012 M. Milner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evans' The Kid Stays in the Picture is a fun, hilarious and almost uncompromisingly honest autobiography of one of the more colourful figures in movies. As an actor, he worked with people like Hemingway and Jimmy Cagney, as a producer he was behind Chinatown, The Godfather and Love Story. And the women he's been with? Well, I lost count about halfway through.

His prose is an ego-filled bluster. Anyone with an ego like his should have written a book not only half as fun at this. And while Evans is
Sep 03, 2016 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A book is a book is a book is a book. Robert Evans's autobiography The Kid Stays in the Picture is the story one of the most famous movie producers in cinema history and certainly one of the most colorful. The Kid Stays in the Picture follows Evans's life from his early childhood to his short-lived acting career, and of course his time as a producer in Hollywood. Mixed in between all this were all the women he managed to become entangled with (a good number) and his marriages (also a good number ...more
Iowa City Public Library
"The are three sides to every story: yours mine and the truth" thats how The Kid Stays in the Picture begins and the book ends with another statement that I can’t repeat here but it is now used as a mantra for any Hollywood player. Robert Evans is a player. From a habadasher to young actor, from a studio head to a major figure in a famous scandal, Evans has lived it all. The book while a great read, really it is a page turner, there is something about the audio version that gives this book a spe ...more
Jeroen Berndsen
Aug 21, 2012 Jeroen Berndsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moviebuffs
To be honest I'd never heard of Robert Evans before, but this book came highly recommended in one of the lists of 'books about movies'. This review is about the audiobook, but since it's unabridged it doesn't really matter.

Robert Evans life is quite unique, he goes from a nobody to Hollywood Wunderkind to boss of Paramount Pictures while never having produced a single film. Only in Hollywood! This autobiography tells about the excessses, the marriages (especially to Ali McGraw), Hollywood's craz
  • You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again
  • Final Cut: Art, Money, and Ego in the Making of Heaven's Gate, the Film that Sank United Artists
  • Which Lie Did I Tell?: More Adventures in the Screen Trade
  • Making Movies
  • Scorsese on Scorsese
  • Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood
  • High Concept: Don Simpson and the Hollywood Culture of Excess
Robert Evans (born Robert J. Shapera) is an American film producer best known for his work on Rosemary's Baby, Love Story, The Godfather and Chinatown as well as his hedonistic lifestyle and seven marriages.
More about Robert Evans...

“Let the wealth of remembrances past be the link of friendship treasured.” 1 likes
“Getting into action generates inspiration. Don’t cop out waiting for inspiration to get you back into action. It won’t! Before I take a hike, I leave you with this thought: It’s not a compliment when someone tells you you’re a survivor. It’s bullshit. We’re all survivors till we die. Get out there, go for it, don’t be afraid. Be a winner—that’s what it’s all about.” 0 likes