Start by marking “Faeries” as Want to Read:
Faeries

Faeries

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  26,577 ratings  ·  154 reviews
Edited by David Larkin. Two talented artists explore the world of faeries in myths, legends, and folklore.
Published October 29th 2002 by Abrams (first published 1978)

The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTithe by Holly BlackDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
23rd out of 778 books — 1,662 voters
Faeries by Brian FroudArt of Amy Brown Volume I by Amy BrownThe Fantasy World of Josephine Wall by Josephine WallParting The Veil by Nene ThomasLady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book by Terry Jones
Fantasy Art Books
1st out of 48 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike (the Paladin)
I bought this book for my wife some years ago. She was an artist and very talented. Near the end of her life one of the subjects she was beginning to work with was "fantasy subjects" including faeries. She was (as I said above) very talented and throughout her life as she would pick up different techniques and concentrate on different subjects she would expand her "catalog" so to speak. She was able it seemed to study a new type or style and within a few attempts she'd have captured it. She did ...more
Larissa
Whether we are aware of it or not faeries have, for as long as can be remembered, always played a part in the daily lives of men, women and especially children. For as far back as can be remembered there have been stories, ballads and legends of faeries and their ability to connect with the nature on the planet and the nature of man. Though not always with the most desired of results, for as many stories as there are of faeries bringing messages of love and friendship there are also stories of t ...more
Anna
Faeries is a wonderful book: illustrations that are charming, eerie and beautiful, and stories and a wealth of information on fairy-lore. I learned some things that surprised me - for example, although I was aware that people used to attribute prehistoric flint arrowheads to the fairies, I didn't know that the word 'stroke' for paralysis derives from a belief in seizures caused by the touch of a fairy, or 'Elf-stroke'. And although I've read the Harry Potter series a number of times, and tend to ...more
Patick Kyteler
Oct 03, 2012 Patick Kyteler rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults; artists
This is the book that made Brian Froud famous and has yet to be surpassed. Alan Lee's ethereal watercolors are just as breathtaking and provide a lovely counterpoint to Froud's more dramatic drawings. But don't let the glowing images fool you into thinking this is just another coffee table "art" book. The folklore contained therein is just as sound. The flora and fauna sections are especially worthwhile. There is also a dangerous aspect to this work, which adds a fascinating spiciness. Not all f ...more
Lance
Wonderful artwork, I've used it as a reference book. After reading this, I've been able to recognize a lot of different mythical creatures in other works that I would not have otherwise. For instance, Jenny Green Teeth shows up in Pratchett's The Wee Free Men and the Pooka in such movies as Darby O'Gill and the Little People, and the Jimmy Stewart classic, Harvey. This is the book that influenced Jim Henson to recruit Froud's help with the movie The Dark Crystal. I didn't realize until very rece ...more
Mike
I think I skimmed this book more than read it when my sister gave it to me when I was a kid, but the illustrations were terrific and I copied a lot of them in the afternoons after school when I first started to draw. I thought I had lost it but found it the other day, battered but still living.
Agy Wilson
I have been in love with Brian Froud from his collaboration with Alan Lee. I spent long hours pouring over his book, and saw the clear influence (excitedly) on the movie Labyrinth, one of my all-time faves, along with Outside Over There. I'm grateful to this because at a young age I saw the interconnectivity of books and other creative endeavors because of it. Not so literal, but still having profound impact. My work is more fantastical but I think a real argument could be made of the influence ...more
Denice Garrou
As a believer in the world of the Fae and Biti Foki I am so thankful for Brian and Wendy Froud. They pick up where my imagination leaves off and I have a huge imagination. They do not sugar coat the elemental realm; you get the light and dark side, as it should be. If you want to graduate from Tinkerbell to the meat and potatoes of the fae folk I suggest you become a Froud follower and fan.
Denice Garrou
Author of Dragonhorse and the Seeker of the Forgotten Knowledge
Violet
I never knew there were so many different names for faeries. This book is comprised of legends and folklore. The illustrations reminded me of something but I couldn't put my finger on it till I read some of the other reviews of this book. They mentioned that Brian Froud worked on The Dark Crystal, and that is when I knew why they looked so familiar.

Fairies can turn on you at any moment, and they like to play jokes on human folks. So beware.
Tracey
No artist I know of reveals the personality of individual faeries while expressing his personal style so clearly as Brian Froud. He renders each detail with care and love; his devotion to his subjects shines through.
cEe beE
The first time I saw the beautiful illustrations in this book, it was like the fairy world finally came alive. Brian Froud captured both the light and darkness of the magical and mysterious fey world.
Nomad
Jan 22, 2012 Nomad rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: froud
This is kind of the classic book that really started the whole fantsy art genre. It has sold well and consistently every year since it's publication and there are often new anniversary editions that come out in hardback as the years go by.

This wasn't the first book by Froud that I bought, but it's one of my favorites. You can really see the affection that he has for his subjects and the paintings have a certain rawness to them that later paintings do not have. I'm not saying his later work is ba
I already knew about 80% of the info provided about the faerie legends of the British Isles (and a couple from Germany and the Scandinavian region), but it's nice to have the reference on hand, especially such a classic and well-known one.

I do wish there was less overall nakedness, considering the Fae are clothed creatively and/or sumptuously as often as not in the legends I've read, but whatever. *amused* The art is as capricious and ground-breakingly more fey than most of the fairy art from th
Cherie
This is a beautiful book!

The artwork is exceptional and I could spend hours looking at the drawings. It is the definitave book on Faeries - all of the different types are named and defined as well as the different flowers and trees that are important to faerie lore.

There are folk tales listed, poetry written about them, and notes from other author's stories.

This is a must own volume for anyone interested in the subject.
Jade
My grandmother, an avid lover of fairy tales and ghost stories, used to have one of the first printed books of Faeries on her bookshelf – after she passed away, it disappeared. After years of searching for a Dutch second-hand copy that matched hers exactly, I finally had the pleasure of coming across one a few weeks ago for a reasonable price.

It really was a pleasure to read it through again, and admire the illustrations within. The amazing art by Brian Froud and Alan Lee is more than enough to
Sandie
Apr 21, 2014 Sandie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: from small children to adults
Shelves: fantasy-fairies
This is still my favorite of all of Brian Froud's works. The artwork is amazing but I absolutely love the literary end of this book as well. I remember reading it for the first time in high school, when I was a freshman and I was fascinated with the names and the stories and the pictures. This book is amazing. I think it would appeal to children and adults alike.
Crissy
This book is magnificent! Part field journal, part anecdotal, with beautiful artwork throughout, often overlapping each other, and snippets from ancestral poems about faeries (including a version of "Tam Lin" at the end, from 1792). The faerie types described are almost exclusively from the British isles, with some from Europe. The handwriting is hard to read in some places but lends an authentic air to the "field journal" style. The only bad thing is that I have a library copy....and about five ...more
T.L. Wood
This is one of Brian Froud’s older book’s all done in black and white giving you that sketch pad feel. They are lovely pictures just the same. You can feel him grow as an artist if you collect his work as I have. I am a great lover of his work, he is an amazing artist.
Laurel
I believe that every story I've ever read about fairies, whether an epic fantasy or a modern urban one, has ties to the knowledge contained in this book. It's an indispensable source and an exquisitely interesting read! The watercolor art and sketches are phenomenal!
Cecilia
I love the art of Brian Froud, he's one of my favourite artists, and his wife, Wendy, well... She has created the most beautiful dolls that I've ever seem!. This is a wonderful masterpiece. I've read it a lot of times and I never get tired of it!.
MoonTea
What a world they've created, these two fantasy geniuses... I read for the art more than anything~ this is the combined effort of two of my favorite and most admired illustrators!! Each page is inspiring, and so beautiful.
Jim
Putting this in no-fiction because it is a great source on these fantastic creatures & the artwork is wonderful. It's worth buying just to look at the pictures.
LondonFog
Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Practically another world (or even view) within our own world!
Raynor Moore
I ordered this book out of a magazine years and years ago with great anticipation. It had all the hallmarks of a great work; gorgeous cover art, a great premise, lots of acclaim but ultimately it was a gigantic disappointment.

It's one thing to put your best face forward when designing a cover for a book full of art... it's another thing entirely when the cover of an art book does not represent the interior at all.

Book was okay... but I wasn't looking for art of a bunch of gremlins, even if the
Eric Muss-Barnes
VIDEO VERSION:
Book Review on YouTube

-------------

Faeries by Brian Froud is unique among any books I've ever read. The book is part reference manual, part artist sketchbook, part short story compendium, and some would dare say, part anthropological fieldguide. Faeries isn't a book that can be neatly tucked into a tidy description. Like the author Brian Froud, Faeries is truly in a class by itself.

Written and illustrated by Brian Froud and Alan Lee (mostly known for his conceptual design work on The Lord of The Rings
Claudia
My mum bought this book for me when I was a little girl.
It was love at first sight.
You see, I've always drawn very much and the usual subjects of my sketches were fairies, all kinds of magical creatures and fantasy places.
This book for me was pure gold.

I started to copy all the book illustrations.
Well, at the beginning that was all I could do, as the book in my possession is in english and I was only a little italian girl.
My mother translated it for me, every time I asked her to (believe me, a L
Klytia
Uno dei libri che mi ha fatto avvicinare al fantasy sia dal punto di vista dell'illustrazione che letterario.

Un regalo di compleanno per i miei 8 anni che, pur a distanza di un bel po' di tempo, se ne sta orgoglioso nella libreria accanto ai libri d'arte.
Libro pregevolissimo sotto ogni aspetto. La sovraccoperta protegge la copertina rigida in tessuto bianco nella quale sono disegnati dei folletti profilati in oro. Le pagine sono piuttosto grandi e la stampa è veramente pregevole permettendo di
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
I am a huge fan of fairies, and I've seen Froud's work before, so I thought I'd check this book out from the library.

I I loved the artwork, but I thought it would be mostly drawings with a little text. There was a lot more text than I was expecting. It is pretty interesting, to see all the different kinds of fairies and some of the stories about them. There were some I had never heard of before, so at least I learned something new!

I thought it needed to be better organized- there was no table of
Lindsay
This book was one of my favorites in my mother's personal library. From a very young age, I loved studying the illustrations and, later, reading the descriptions. As much as I loved the pretty faeries, I was fascinated even more so by the evil, ugly ones that terrified me (though I couldn't look away). So nostalgic for this book...
K.S. Thompson
I first saw this book when I was quite young. I don’t remember where or when, but I know it had an impact on me. I found it again while I was in college, but alas there was no room in my budget in spite of how desperately I wanted a copy of my own. Finally, several years later it was re-released and I didn’t miss my opportunity. I walked from the bookstore, tears in my eyes and the book clutched to my chest.

This is THE definitive book on Faeries. Beautifully illustrated, this book is not a “flu
Enchanted Bookends: Faeries 5 6 May 09, 2012 02:20PM
  • Gnomes
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • Art of Amy Brown Volume I
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Secrets of the Gnomes
  • Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells: Based on Quentin Cottington's Journal of Faery Research
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings From Myth and Magic
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • The King's Agent
  • The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • M.C. Escher: The Graphic Work
  • The Heart of Faerie Oracle - Book & Tarot Cards
  • Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand
  • Clara and Mr. Tiffany
Brian Froud is an award-winning illustrator, author, and faery authority. His books include the international best-sellers Faeries, Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, Lady Cottington's Fairy Album, and The Faeries' Oracle. He also served as the conceptual designer on Jim Henson's films The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Froud lives in Devon, England.
----------------------

"I paint the spirit and s
More about Brian Froud...
Good Faeries Bad Faeries The World of the "Dark Crystal" Lady Cottington's Fairy Album Goblins! Brian Froud's World of Faerie