Start by marking “Happy Birthday, Moon” as Want to Read:
Happy Birthday, Moon

Happy Birthday, Moon (Moonbear #2)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  3,240 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Bear loves the moon so much that he wants to give him a birthday present. But he doesn't know when his birthday is or what to get him. So Bear goes to have a little chat with the moon. A poetic fantasy, Happy Birthday, Moon has delighted fans for years as a simple yet reassuring celebration of love and friendship. Gently told with warm words and charming illustrations by c ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Aladdin (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Birthday, Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Birthday, Moon

Kristy Teague
Oct 15, 2012 Kristy Teague rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A cute story for younger elementary-aged children. Bear wants to get the moon a birthday present and travels to a high distance to talk to the moon. Full of humor and suspense, the author gives the reader a chance to practice making an "echo sound" to capture what the bear imagines the moon is saying to him in return. Helpful for teaching about giving/generosity, communication and listening, cause and effect.
Jen
Jan 02, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
We're starting to read longer stories at night! This was the first I tried, and it's a good one for the evening. There's a bit about echoes, and it was weird to try and use the same inflection when it was conversational.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 02, 2014 Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A reissue of this charming classic.
Danielle
May 08, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Um, I love this book.
Kay
Nov 18, 2016 Kay rated it really liked it
this is how i interact with the moon too honestly hahah
its so cute though its just echoing.
he buys the moon a present too like thats so cute.
MJ
May 23, 2017 MJ rated it really liked it
Echoes
Mary Mcclelland-Teren
Feb 26, 2017 Mary Mcclelland-Teren rated it it was amazing
My childhood favorite book. I still have it over 30 years later
Jaimee Huskins
Sep 01, 2014 Jaimee Huskins rated it it was amazing
Happy Birthday Moon by Frank Asch Happy Birthday, Moon by Frank Asch I think this book is one of my FAVORITE childhood books. When I was very little my mother read this to me all the time. In this book a little bear decides that he want to go talk to the moon and that is what he does. When reading this book to young children I feel like it allows the imagination to run wild. It lets the child think that it can go and talk to the moon and find out something about themselves and the "moon". In this book with older children you co ...more
Kcodd92
Feb 23, 2012 Kcodd92 rated it liked it
Happy Birthday Moon by Frank Asch is about a bear who decides he wants to get the moon a presentfor his birthday. The bear climbed trees, paddled across the river and hiked through the forest into the mountains to get close enough to talk to the moon. His voice echos off the mountain so the bear thinks the moon is speaking back. After talking to the moon the bear decides to get the moon a hat. The bear buys a hat and takes it to the moon. The hat flies off and ends up at the bears doorsteps. The ...more
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Bear enjoyed looking at the moon and wanted to show the moon how much he loved it. He wanted to give the moon a birthday present. He traveled to the top of a mountain to ask the moon when its birthday was and what it wanted for a present. Everything bear said to the moon was echoed, so Bear thought the moon’s birthday was the next day, just like his, and that the moon wanted a hat, just like Bear. Bear got a hat for the moon, and he thought the moon got him a hat too. They both were happy with t ...more
Hannah Collier
Dec 12, 2014 Hannah Collier rated it really liked it
"Happy Birthday Moon" is a children's book about a bear who wants to get the moon a birthday present but doesn't know when the moons birthday is. The bear goes on a journey to get closer to the moon. The bear gets to the very top of a mountain and talks to the moon about it's birthday. The moon answers all of bears questions. So the next day Bear comes back with a hat to give the moon as a birthday present and leaves the hat on a tree branch for the moon to get. The next morning there's a hat on ...more
Heidi-Marie
I know I've seen the cover of this book many times. But my memory doesn't have me as reading it ever. It's not a bad story. I like the illustrations better than the text. While the story line is cute, the echoing for some reason caused an eyebrow to raise. No idea why. I probably would have clicked with it more when I was younger. Definitely a good book for readers who are moving on from beginning but still not ready for easy chapter books. The text is large. Plenty of white space. The echoing c ...more
Robert Beveridge
Frank Asch, Happy Birthday, Moon (Aladdin, 1982)

This one took the Bean some growing into, but nowadays he likes it a good deal, and we read it at storytime at least twice a week. It's the story of a lonely bear who decides to get the moon a birthday present, goes to the mountains (in order to be closer to the moon), and then talks to the moon (actually, his echo), with the expected, and actually rather touching, results. Get it out of the library first to make sure your kid is in the right age r
Amy
Feb 04, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
I was so excited when I saw this in my field placement because I loved it as a kid. The bear in this story is intent on wishing the moon a happy birthday and getting him a present, yet the moon always "repeats" what Bear is saying, which confuses him. This is a really sweet story that is great to read with children because it can be discussed further on echoes, phases of the moon (the moon slowly rises to fit a hat on its head that Bear puts in the tree for him.. so cute) and birthdays. I think ...more
Inger Yoder
Sep 01, 2016 Inger Yoder rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I like how this book, shows friendship with the moon. I've seen a lot of books about the sun, but you don't see many books about the moon. I like how the book shows the friendship that Bear has with the moon, and how he wanted to celebrate, in a fiction sense, who the moon is, and he wants to treat him by getting him a special gift.

I would use this book in a lower grade level, probably in kindergarten through second grade, at the highest. It would be a fun story to read to the students about na
Fjóla
May 30, 2013 Fjóla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2 - 5 year olds
Another story about Moon Bear, so adorable! Moon Bear talks to the moon and the moon talks back. Turns out the moon wished for the exact same things as Moon Bear, how cute. Perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. They'll have a slightly better understanding than Moon Bear, and rejoice in it. This book centers on echo, whereas the last one we read, Bear Shadow was about how he perceived his shadow. Simple and endearing.
Katherine Fountain
Apr 10, 2012 Katherine Fountain rated it it was amazing
Frank Asch is perhaps my favorite children's author and this book is why! What a fun and imaginative story about a young bear who hears his echo when talking to the moon. I read this story as part of an English Language Arts lesson plan to my first graders who really valued birthdays. Most of them understood that there was in fact an echo but loved the imagination. This story does not have any possible stereotypes or offensive parts in it because the two characters are Bear and Moon. I would def ...more
Ashleyd
Dec 31, 2013 Ashleyd rated it it was amazing
PK-2nd Easy/Everybody Picture Book

Themes: Moon, Friendship, Birthday

Frank Asch is one of my favorite writers. His timeless tales are great for kids. I am so happy that his books are finally being reprinted.

Maybe it is the memory of this book, but I can't imagine my childhood without sharing Frank Asch books with others. So many new books are made cartoonish, popular, and aren't simple classic stories that everyone can relate to.
Apr 14, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
My mother must have read me this story countless times. This was one of those books that I could "read" as a toddler because I had heard my mother read it over and over. I will always love this story and many other Frank Asch works. Now that I am grown I still love this book and plan to use it in my classroom. Science lessons! Echos, the Moon, and other units could be pulled from this childhood favorite!
Sunnyvale Librarian
Bear wants to give the moon a birthday present. So he paddles across the river and hikes through the forest and climbs to the mountain top to call up to the moon, asking what it would like. It turns out that Bear and the moon like exactly the same things, so Bear goes to town the next day and gets the moon's present. It gets complicated after that, the moon's present gets lost and Bear's does too--but they're still friends and wish each other "Happy Birthday."
Genny Flett
Bear loves the moon and wants to give him a birthday present. Bear doesn't know when the moon's birthday is so he travels until he can get close enough to talk to the moon and ask him. When the bear talks to the moon, bear thinks the moon is talking back but really it is Bear's echo. Bear ends up buying the moon a hat and the moon "gives" Bear the same hat.

Good book to use when discussing the stages of the moon.
Jp Hsu
Nov 19, 2015 Jp Hsu rated it it was amazing
It is a lovely story. I wondered why the moon always followed wherever I went at night. I also wondered why the moon changed its size occasionally. I wondered why granny told me not to point to the moon otherwise it would cut my finger. The only sure thing was that I knew I could not fly to the moon to check things out. I knew anyhow it was not for me to reach to this far away bright light in the endless sky.
Elizabeth
I like this book, and I show the Weston Woods film of it at least once a year, and my library even has the matching stamp to stamp the kids' hands/papers, but I have to admit I don't entirely "get" it. I mean, what is going on with this bear's living situation? He seems like a child, yet he's out and about in the middle of the night, canoeing across the lake and climbing mountains in the dark. Where are this bear's parents? Why doesn't he wear a life jacket? So many unanswered questions.
Avigail
Feb 18, 2015 Avigail rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Part of what's so endearing about the books in this series is how the narrator acknowledges to the reader that the moon (and in other books other things in nature such as clouds and rain) are not actually reacting to Bear, but rather it is his internal narrative and perception of events that create the plot. I suspect that my son is too young to pick up on this and is understanding the plots from Bear's perspective.
Amanda Hicks
Feb 13, 2014 Amanda Hicks rated it liked it
This is a good picture book for kids to use their imagination. There are also a few vocabulary words that could be introduced to kids. This is a story about a bear who loves the moon so much that he follows the moon to the top of a mountain and finds out when his birthday is and what he wants for it. Little does the bear know, it is his echo he is hearing, and naturally, he and the moon share the same birthday, and they both would like a hat.
Courtney
Aug 30, 2013 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: 261
This was a cute little book. Happy Birthday, Moon was about an adorable little bear that wanted to give the moon a birthday present. He went up in the mountains to talk to the moon to find out when its birthday was and what it wanted. When he got there he heard his own voice echo and thought it was the moon. He ended up getting the moon a hat and put it way up high in the tree for the moon to get. This book teaches children a great lesson of kindness, sharing, and giving to others.
Shakila Lightfoot
Nov 26, 2013 Shakila Lightfoot rated it really liked it
Great story about a bear who wanted to do something very generous and get something for the moon for his birthday. In the book he yells and yells getting responses but not realizing that it is his own echo he hears. He later figures out that it was him all a long. Its great for repetition and having students differentiate between what can be real and what's make believe.
Brenda Pritchard
Preschool story time. Themed book about birthdays, narrative skills, phonological awareness.
This book is about a bear who gives the moon a birthday present. He talks to the moon with his echo off of the mountain. It is a very cute book about giving, birthdays, and vocabulary building with new words.
Liz Todd
Aug 12, 2013 Liz Todd rated it really liked it
Shelves: birthdays
What can I say? I love Moon Bear. This time, he would like to give the Moon a birthday president. He talks to the moon through an echo of his own voice. I love how Frank Asch worked out for the moon to receive it's present. These books are just adorable and never get old. Lots of opportunity to "think" in order to understand what is happening.
White
Aug 25, 2009 White rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! This is the most clever book ever written for kids. The little bear plays with echoes and the light of the moon to establish a conversation with the yellow disk in the sky - Little Bear is even able to give the moon a gift of a hat by the deceptions of perspective through distance. This is so CUTE!

A must read, even if you read to your dog.
  • Curious George Learns the Alphabet
  • Who Took the Farmer's Hat?
  • Airport
  • The Little Rabbit
  • Peter's Chair
  • Noisy Nora
  • The Little Red Hen
  • Gregory the Terrible Eater
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Changes, Changes
  • Growing Vegetable Soup
  • Clifford’s Birthday Party
  • Down Comes the Rain: Let's Read and Find out Science - 2
  • The Knight and the Dragon
Frank Asch is an American children's writer, best known for his Moonbear picture books.

Asch published his first picture book, George's Store, in 1968. The following year he graduated from Cooper Union with a BFA. Since then he has taught at a public school in India, as well as at a Montessori school in the United States, conducted numerous creative workshops for children. He has written over 60 bo
More about Frank Asch...

Moonbear (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Moon Bear