Start by marking “After” as Want to Read:
After

After

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  50 reviews
THE APOCALYPSE: A chimera devastates the human population. Technology fails and infrastructure crumbles. Civilization collapses.

AFTER: A generation apart, two women and the men who love them make incredible sacrifices to survive, and to destroy a brutal system of sexual slavery in a world where men outnumber women ten-to-one.

After two years roaming the devastated South al
Published June 9th 2008 by eXcessica

To ask other readers questions about After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After

Pam Godwin
Picture the male prison system and the sexual hierarchy within. Now remove the guards, throw in a beautiful virginal girl, and roll the cameras. This isn't the usual doomsday story where survival is defined by food hoards and weaponry skills. It is a dissection of non-consent sexuality and the ugliest human emotion: fear. The fear that destroys a mother when her baby is ripped from her arms. The fear that consumes a twelve-year girl when she sees a man for the first time in her life. The fear th ...more
~Lei ~  Reading Is An Adventure ~
A bleak, disturbing vision of the future that I truly hope doesn't come to pass. Don't read this for an HEA - there is none.

If you read this, think about what touch means to you. I'm going to ruminate on this book for some time to come. You can tell by my tags my review - I rated this five stars. [I repeat, this not a fluffy bunny story].

ETA - There is hope though - after an apocalyptic event, the survivors travel two different roads and the cause and effect of one of these roads is chillingly
Heather

After, is a story of a post-pandemic America where men outnumber women ten-to-one. Women are reduced to breeders and bodies to satisfy men depending on if they can reproduce or not. The book covers a span of two decades after "The Dying". It tells the tale of what two women have had to endure to survive.

This first woman, Eva, is among the first women to be found and she is forced to become the only female among twenty some men. She is given a husband through a lottery and is expected to reprodu
Joy
A story so harsh, brutal and sad that I really can't recommend anyone reading it---unless you enjoy brilliant, powerful writing and unforgettable characters. There is no happily ever after--only survival and hope for the future
~*~Brooke's Stripped Down Reviews~*~
This author writes Beauty in the form of Horror!

Until I started writing my review, I wasnt sure what rating to give this book. I had pondered giving it 4 stars, because of the pain it caused while reading. But then I decided that no book that powerful should ever get less than a 5 star rating! No matter how sad, how scared, how broken I felt while reading, it's still powerful and thought provoking.

With everything still so fresh in my head, I thought it'd help me write a better review (rather tha
Elizabetta
This is a dark, disturbing read. An interesting look at a post-apocalyptic world where women are in short supply and what men will do for want of them. I rated this high because I am irresistibly drawn to Krylov's writing and her voice. All of her books are dark and disturbing but they suck me into the vortex and stay with me forever in my own post-apocalyptic haze. For better or worse, that is also worth 5 stars to me. Krylov seems to have disappeared from the scene. I sure wish she'd come back ...more
A. Bookzilla.
Gah, I am so confused. I want to five star it (second part), but I want to four star it (first part). If you see me switching between ratings, this is why.

Maybe it was my low expectations because I thought this book would be something completely different--a lot of sex without much of a plot or a bigger picture--sort of like she did with a previous book of hers I read.
But nope.

This book had a point. Sort of.
It's really hard to review it without any spoilers, too. It's written in two parts, two s
Smith Barney
And so..if this is what some readers term as 'dark content' they will think I'm completely certifiable for rating it as nose-picking material.

I'm always seeking to expand my kinky horizons..but there was no opportunity for growth here.

The first 25% is stereotypical POS-female-mewling-sobbing character fretting over being the only designated female servicing port for these very high-strung, hand-chapped men at this apocalyptic encampment. But what do you know! Alas..she lucks out and convenient
Miss
Imagine this...

"Crazy people lighting cars on fire, all the cars, until whole streets seem to be lined with signal fires. Fires to light the path. The sick putting out their dead. Mass graves. People killing other people with guns and knives. Looting. Beatings. People jumping from tenth-floor windows. Then, the empty city. Day. Night. Empty."

description

After the "dying", most of the world is wiped out. There are only few survivors (they think so), and they are living in military base.
And then comes beaut
Rebecca
Reading In The Dark Blog
Like Reading In The Dark Facebook Page

I just love Varian Krylov, in After we have two separate stories which do not run concurrently in time but are connected. The basic plot line follows a post apocalyptic world where woman are scarce and sexual slavery is abundant. First we have Eva who is a strong but sweet sort of martyr. Her story is a tale of making it all work in a very selfless way. The secondary characters are all great to all have depth and you can empathize wit
Angela
Wow...just wow... This was what I expect from Krylov. It was dark and emotional and exhausting and amazing. She has a way to suck you in, make you think, make you feel so much and hold your breath waiting for the next page. After reading her Abduction I knew I was a fan, but this cemented my love for her writing. This book is one that will stay with you.
Jean
This book took me completely out of my comfort zone. I am not usually one for post-apocalyptic stories, although the ones I have read, I've loved. But this author, Varian Krylov, wow, there is just nothing like her writing. I have never FELT so much with the flow of a story, with all the right wording, and all the right timing, the connections.....it was absolutely flawless! I just cannot say enough about her, and this is the first book I've had the pleasure of reading by her. Without a doubt, I ...more
Saha
It is way past midnight now that I am sitting here, trying to write a review about this masterpiece. I finished it a few hours ago, and I have been tossing and turning in my bed, unable to settle. I am still too shaken, feel stripped of all my defences and my stamina... too raw to be coherent. Too stunned and in awe.

This is a book of 2 stories. Stories of 2 women that are more capable than they have ever thought of themselves. 2 woman so strong and delicate, so caring and independent, so mercifu
Azra
I am so conflicted about this book. In a strange way I can understand what is happening in that post apocalyptic way, but... all that raping, violence... it's awful. And the center of this book is sex. I think the author gave too much attention on sex slavery. It's hard to imagine that all men left on the earth without much women would be so violent.

Eva was a great character but she was getting on my nerves sometimes. All that sacrificing type, oh I will give myself to all of the men so I can k
Angie
Update: I've come back to this review to give it 5 stars instead of 4. I still think about this book from to time. It's still an incredible and disturbing read.

This is the second book I've read by Krylov. I found this book to be much better than Abduction, and seemed to avoid some of what I considered weaknesses when I read Abduction. There are still some typos that occasionally annoy me, and her writing style is rather austere (not that I'm complaining). So, did I like this book? Yes! Gave me
Minou
I'm particularly fond of books that are extremely dark and disturbing. I'm talking about R. Lee Smith disturbing. So if you're a fan of RLS, I highly suggest you pick up this book.

Intense, dark, disturbing. After is about a horrifying post-apocalyptic world where the human population has been decimated and men severely outnumber women, so much that women are reduced to breeding machines.

This story explores how different characters react and change in the face of such a bleak future. the cast is
Violetta Vane
I'm going to have to DNF this book about 33% of the way in and leave it unrated. I knew I was taking a risk going in, and that I might not be able finish the story. I can deal with some eroticized nonconsent/rape in narratives, but this just had too much for me. However, I'll go ahead and review what I read, because this isn't really a bad story as much as it is a very long and idiosyncratic one.

Pros:

The prose. I love the style. It's a sort of tender brutality, very poetic, very visceral. The c
Nicole
This is the story of the future, after the "dying" when most of the world is wiped out. Only a few survivors (which are mostly males) have come out of the dying to start anew.

In this book you first follow Eva and then Nix. You see both sides of the line that has divided "America".

Eva's side is all about making it work. Where women have a say who their partners are and how they can still be themselves. A sort of form of pre-dying. You follow her through her tale. Where she finds love, happiness
Keri
This was a really long book but very good.

This story was really hard to read in some places. Stuff I didn't want to happen did happen, some stuff came out of left field and made me really sad. This story doesn't have a happily ever after for everyone - not even really for anyone - some very sad things take place. This is more a story about the characters coming to terms with the cards they've been dealt; you will wish things had gone a different way for some of these characters but will respect
Sum1
Oh.my.God.

This book is a scary but realistic look at what people become in desperate and trying times.

A dramatic event causes the wipeout of almost all human life. The ones that remain have to fend for themselves and battle the demons that live within us all but that are normally constrained by social norms and the law.

The outcome is dramatic, disturbing and uncomfortably understandable if not agreeable or moral.

An incredible story. I loved it even if I times I hated the way it made me feel o
Tanya Walling
This book was different from my usual reads that it was set in the future AFTER the APOCALYPSE. It is a dark book & there is a lot of violent behavior, rape and abuse. WARNING: This is not a HEA story it is a story of survival. There were parts where I cried and I usually shy away from books that make me feel that much emotion but, it also demonstrates how pulled into the book I was. If this isn't the type of book you like that has m/m/f, m/f/m, & nonconsensual sex don't try to read it. ...more
Maryann Breedlove

I just finished the absolute best fiction novel ever;"After" by V. Krylan is a deep look at love, fear, the human monster, the human angel, society, and the power of touch to heal. This author included everything and the kitchen sink flawlessly. Did I say this novel is deep? Gut wrenching? Terrifying? Courageous? Tender? Curl up and allow yourself the luxury of floating through the descriptions, the raw emotion, the adventure, the courage.

OK.. I should not have to say this to adult mature read
Michelle Watson
This book is really a 5 star book. But I had to delete a star for Eva. I loved her character (view spoiler) my heart broke to pieces and I wasn't really in to the story anymore. She was like a saint, washing away the sins of others.

John was extremely selfless when it came to Eva. He was so kind to her. My heart melted with his selflessness, which was such a sacrifice in itself. John would do anything to protect Eva.

Major Smith held my fascination. Avery coul
Pam
There is no possible way for me to give a review worthy of the writing in this book. I could never do it justice. After is compelling, deep, dark, seriously twisted. The story is so descriptive. The characters truly come to life. You feel every joy, every gut wrenching, depraving act. All the sadness, hopelessness. Every sorrowful moment. Varian Krylov is an unbelievably gifted writer. And aside from Lost, she never disappoints.
Kristen
This one is dark and twisted and one of the best book rides I've taken in a while. Not for the faint of heart.
Bridget R.
GoodReads is asking me what I think about this book...I have no way to put it into words.

It's beautiful and brutal, incredibly sad yet hopeful.

I can't think of how to explain it, what it made me feel.

I'm simply at a loss for words.
Pam
Best book I've read this year...can't say I enjoyed it, it's too raw an experience. It's horrifying and beautiful and gut wrenchingly satisfying. This is not for the faint of heart, it's full on non-con and actual rape. Read it and weep.
Emily
Varian Krylov is absolutely amazing! This book is truly a great read. Varian writes what seems to be a whole new world, but in actuality is this world and what could happen after an apocalypse.
Christine
'After' is a brutal, dystopian tale with graphic violence and sex. This is definitely a unique look at the future and is not for the faint hearted. While I overall enjoyed the book, I have conflicting feelings about our heroines Eva and Nix.

Part 1 - Eva
What I liked: the world building was very interesting and I could visually imagine this desolate world.
What I didn't like: The main characters in the first section (Eva, John and Major Smith) never felt like real people to me. More backstory was
Hottie23
Back in 2011 or so I discovered this author and (judging by the books descriptions) I thought this one would be my favorite book of her's. The book's description completely caught my attention and I just had to read it. Now after reading all the authors other books, I have still yet to finish this one.

I have started this book from the beginning at least five times and, while I've read a lot of the book, I haven't gotten very deep into the plot. I had pretty much accepted the fact that this book
Book Cover? 2 20 Sep 21, 2012 06:16AM
  • Heat
  • Collateral Damage (Deadly Captive, #2)
  • Trust in Me (Dark Erotica, #2)
  • Big Sky
  • Dead of Eve (Trilogy of Eve, #1)
  • Judgment (Judgment, #1)
  • The Flesh Cartel #1: Capture
  • Break Her
  • Imprinted
  • Vol.1 (London Brown, #3.5)
  • The Last Rebellion
  • Father Figure
  • The Tied Man (The Tied Man, #1)
  • Obsession: Girl Abducted
  • How to Rape a Straight Guy
  • Schadenfreude
Since her girlhood in a sunny coastal town in California, Varian Krylov has nurtured a love of words and a curiosity about the deep, dark forces at work in human nature, especially sexuality, and how they often paradoxically twine with our tenderest impulses. Her stories tend to explore the sometimes fine line between what arouses, and what frightens, what we’re driven to, and what we’re ashamed o ...more
More about Varian Krylov...
Abduction Lost Dangerously Happy Conrad's First Girl Hurt