Start by marking “Of Marriageable Age” as Want to Read:
Of Marriageable Age
Preview

Of Marriageable Age

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  811 ratings  ·  96 reviews
A spellbinding story of forbidden love, spanning three continents and three decades. Set against the Independence struggles of two British colonies, Of Marriageable Age is ultimately a story of personal triumph against a brutal fate, brought to life by a multicultural cast of characters:

Savitri, intuitive and charismatic, grows up among the servants of a pre-war English ho
Mass Market Paperback, 530 pages
Published 2000 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Of Marriageable Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Marriageable Age

2 States by Chetan BhagatI Too Had A Love Story.. by Ravinder SinghThe 3 Mistakes of My Life by Chetan BhagatRevolution 2020 by Chetan BhagatThe Immortals of Meluha by Amish Tripathi
Indian Books - Fiction
93rd out of 704 books — 1,865 voters
Wings by Aprilynne PikeThe Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. PearsonThe Declaration by Gemma MalleyTithe by Holly BlackEmma by Jane Austen
Butterflies
39th out of 201 books — 115 voters

More lists with this book...

Renita D'Silva
There are books that you fall in love with, books you enjoy so much that you do not want them to end. Books that capture your imagination and do not let go long after the last page, so that, even though you are an avid reader, you do not want to open another book because no other will match the beauty, the magnificence of the one you've just finished. Books whose characters you do not want to part with, just yet. Sharon Maas’s 'Of Marriageable Age' is one such book. Spanning three continents and ...more
Marianne
Of Marriageable Age is the first novel by Sharon Maas and tells the stories of Nat, Saroj and Savitri. The stories are set in British Guiana and England and India, in time periods ranging from the 1920s to the 1960s, and the lives of these three characters are inextricably linked, but the mystery of exactly how only becomes clear as the stories progress. Maas uses this enchanting love story to explore subjects like Indians living abroad, arranged marriages, prejudice, cultural boundaries, war an ...more
Booknblues
When speaking of the book Of Marriageable Age by Sharon Maas it is difficult not to use such words as tapestry, intricate and woven. Each thread of the story seems to be woven in such a way as to create an intricate tapestry which presents a delicate picture of the lives of the characters in this book. It is true that author Sharon Maas believes that there exists a grand scheme to our lives and that if we are sensitive to, in her words "the magnetism" we will indeed benefit. This belief is aptly ...more
Jo Haff
Souvent, il ne faut pas beaucoup pour adhérer à la prose d'un écrivain. Il suffit d'un livre qu'on n'a pas pu poser avant de l'avoir terminé, et l'univers de cet auteur est indéniablement ancré en nous. C'est le cas de Sharon Maas. Je me sens proche de Maas, par ses origines multiples, son côté vadrouilleur, sa littérature métissée...
J’ai lu « Of marriageable age » de Sharon Maas avec soif. Ce sont trois histoires, trois époques et contextes différents. Une même contrainte : aussi jeunes soient
Carinya Kappler
This first novel of author Sharon Maas is an extremely moving account of lives moulded, redirected and destroyed by prejudice, cultural boundaries, war and poverty. I found the over-riding theme to be one of forgiveness, tolerance and a belief that it is never too late for change.
Her characters in this novel span 2 generations and a multitude of religions, beliefs and customs set in South America, Singapore and England. I found the author’s sympathetic approach to the predicament of each charact
Jae
What a wonderful book! By the time I'd reached the last few pages I was reading so slowly because I didn't want it to end. It's a beautiful, evocative book that interweaves the stories of different lives over time and continents, with such memorable characters, it's hard to believe that this is a debut novel. One for my favourites list, and I'm definitely planning to read more by this author.
Lauren
My favorite. It's amazing. I bought it abroad and haven't seen it in the states, so it's not too popular yet but absolutely worth getting from Amazon. A great read!
Lakshu
This is the first book I've read in a while and I was more than satisfied to begin with this particular novel. "Of Marriageable Age" spins a story about three people - Savitri, Saroj and Nat - who are connected very intricately. It is about their journey from young and innocent children to the adults that they mature into.

I realise that from the storyline, it may appear to be quite dull and not so original - undoubtedly, this is not the case. From the first page to the last, Sharon Maas had me
Jean
I LOVED this book...

I was lucky enough to have chosen to read this book while I was traveling in India for a family wedding. The colors and images of this book came alive for me. I did NOT want to have this book end.

I don't think this book was "perfectly" written, but it was easy to overlook the grammatical errors and sentence structure concerns as I became lost in this "epic" story.

I highly recommend.
penelopewanders
Here as a ring.
At first I was a bit irritated by the flipping back and forth chronologically and might have to take some time to ponder over why Maas chose the order she did... This being said, after a while I knew who the various characters were and was happy to plunge back into their separate narratives, guessing soon enough that they would somehow merge. Saroj's intransigency was grating, but in some ways also authentic, I think, and not all that unusual - just not so pleasant. Very good read
Pam
TITLE/AUTHOR: OF MARRIAGEABLE AGE by Sharon Maas
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Fiction, 1999, 528 pgs
CHARACTERS: Savitri, Saroj, Nat
TIME/PLACE: 1950-1970's, India, British Guyana, London/UK
COMMENTS: Chapters through each voice alternate -- a bit
tedious in the beginning to have so many starts & stops.
It isn't until almost 300 pgs where the characters all
are linked and then the story flies. Arranged marriages
in the Indian culture both in India & abroad.
Dora Okeyo
There are books that pick you- even when you don't see it, they make their way into your heart and you go with them wherever you go- and read them late into the night because they speak to you in profound ways.
This book is one of them.

Story: Set between the 1950's and 1970's in India, British Guyana and London/UK. It follows the lives of Savitri, Nataraj, and Saroj. A story of love, and the Indian custom of betrothal.

As I started reading the story, I was drawn to Saroj's Mother, whom they only k
Peter
Mar 07, 2011 Peter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: novel
Enjoyed very much this novel detailing a different culture and real people. The author was born in Belize has lived in London and India. Definitely not told from the white man's point of view. I think many people can enjoy this book. romantic in places, surprising and good character development. Coul do with a bit more editing. I give it it 5 stars but relly it should be 41/2 because it does need a bit of concision in places.
Melissa Cox
I was delighted when I was invited to read a pre-release copy of Sharon Maas' book, "Of Marriageable Age." And when something free turns out to be this good, what a lovely surprise!

The novel is actually three stories woven together, the connections between which are gradually revealed. Maas has seamlessly integrated story details so that the reader gets clues as to these connections while reading, but doesn't put the answers together halfway through the book. What I particularly liked is that t
Ebony Taylor
I loved the way Maas weaved the stories together, leaving hints and clues along the way for the reader to pick up and wonder if there is a connection. Beautifully written, I could almost smell India and Guyana and London, I grew to know and love every single character, there was not one moment when a characters actions surprised me. Flawless, seamless, moving.
Cherry-Ann Carew
This was a brilliant read. The author and I share similar background experiences given that we were born in South America and moved to London, England at an early age. As such, I was able to relate to many areas, especially the cultural theme. I love her style of writing and how she painted the characters and their experiences.
Julia
This wonderful, unique book was one of the best, and probably even the best, I have ever read. The author has an incredible and incomparable writting style, the characters of the novel are authentic and wonderful described.
Shapamjit Bariar
It started off rather draggy but it slowly unfolded as d characters came to life. Just when i thought that the mystery and grief was over there was yet another mystery awaiting.
Ross Dias
Riveting tale that keeps you hoping for a happy ending, and a happy ending it provides! A must-read for everyone.
Rykae
Wonderful story, with of course a wonderful ending! It only took one week to get through all 525 pages!
Debra
The one book I refer to as carrying around like a teddy bear after reading over several times.
Natalia
Not sure I really liked the ending but it's a great Guyanese saga.
Sonia
It's a fascinating book..was hooked on to it till the end...
Nathalie Okeefe
Beautiful story, one of my favorite book of all time !
Emma Britton

Great, different read. Really enjoyed it
Tania
A wonderful book and a beautiful love story... The characters in this book are unforgettable, the Indian background is so well drawn, and the storyline kept me hooked until the end. And to think I purchased this because I loved the cover ...

Book description (from amazon)
Of Marriageable Age follows three people across three decades and three continents, in a story of intertwined dramas and mysterious legacies, set against the traditional customs of an ancient culture. Nat, plucked from an orphana
Pam
Two and a half stars
This story is about three characters who are seemingly not connected. Taking you on a journey through India, England, and South America, the book focuses on the Indian culture and the arranged marriages that were so prevalent in the story. This is a love story. But it was asking a lot from the reader to follow three different narratives, (all beginning as children)in different time periods (1920s, 40s and 50s), in different countries, and then following them all in to adultho
Margaret Trawick
Okay, I'm just putting this on here because for me it was a gripping, human book. But I am pretty sure that some of my closest reading friends will not be able to get started on this. De gustibus.
When I first started this, I thought it was too unreal, because the people in the book, all children, were all happy. However, things evolved, as people's lives tend to do. I won't go into the plot anymore than all that.
Here is a thing. The book is quite realistic. It was passed on to me by the sister o
Jan Williams
What a magnificent book- one that will stay with me for a long long time. I am not one to give 5 stars easily- this book is truly deserving. It was long and I soaked in every descriptive word on each page. It was a story of deceipt, secrets and some difficult reading, but the reader could feel the surroundings and noises. The characters were well defined- loved some and felt disdain for others. I learned some history and love learning about the Indian culture.
It was an incredible book and one I
  • Monsoon Memories
  • The Day After Yesterday
  • What Happened in Granite Creek
  • The Pinata-Maker's Daughter
  • Desirable Daughters

Sharon Maas was born in Georgetown, Guyana in 1951, and spent many childhood hours either curled up behind a novel or writing her own adventure stories. Sometimes she had adventures of her own, and found fifteen minutes of Guyanese fame for salvaging an old horse-drawn coach from a funeral parlor, fixing it up, painting it bright blue, and tearing around Georgetown with all her teenage friends. Th
More about Sharon Maas...
Peacocks Dancing The Speech of Angels The Small Fortune of Dorothea Q Sons of Gods -- Mahabharata Stories of Strength

“She might be without country, without nation, but inside her there was still a being that could exist and be free, that could simply say I am without adding a this, or a that, without saying I am Indian, Guyanese, English, or anything else in the world.” 71 likes
“He simply could not write a further word. Writer’s block, he thought. It happens to the most brilliant of writers.” 2 likes