Start by marking “The Lion's Lady” as Want to Read:
The Lion's Lady

The Lion's Lady (Crown's Spies #1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  15,259 Ratings  ·  491 Reviews
A daring lady meets a dashing lord with the soul of a pirate in this classic Regency romance novel from bestselling author Julie Garwood.

Christina Bennett had taken London society by storm. The ravishing beauty guarded the secret of her mysterious past until the night Lyon, Marquis of Lyonwood, stole a searching, sensuous kiss. An arrogant nobleman with a pirate’s passions
Published August 31st 2010 by Pocket Books (first published December 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion's Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion's Lady

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

First off I need to say, I loved the prologue. It was so well written and touching that it left me feeling that Black Eagle and Merry were well deserving of their own story.

Christina is one of the funniest of Garwood's characters I've read and Lyon the most determined. Together they are a one of my favorite couples in the Crown Spies series.

One of the best exchanges between Lyon and Christina takes place at their wedding reception. Here is a snippet:

Lyon shook his head. "I can't take much more
Lisa Kay
One of my favorite Garwood books. I love her heroines, and Christina Bennett, raised by Native American Indians, is a fish out of water in Regency England. Not that that stops her from taking the city by storm while riding bare-back and finding her fierce Lyon. Some classic LOL moments in this book. And my favorite scene?
Lyon dismounted, slapped his horse on the hindquarters as a signal to take to the stables, then called out to Christina's former butler. "Elbert? What are you doing with my shoe
Dina
Apr 23, 2010 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Kay
Knife attributed to Crazy Horse*; on display at crazyhorsememorial.org

(This is a review of the audiobook.) Man-oh-man! Susan Duerden does a wonderful job of narrating this one. Her voices are spot-on, especially her despicable Aunt Patricia. Her pacing is good, her male voices are more than acceptable, I liked her accents and inflections, and she sounds interested in the story. (Always a plus!)

Surprisingly, my least favorite voice was Christina’s, the heroine’s, making her sound – I thought at
Kristen
Solid 4 stars

I wasn't sure I'd like or remain interested in this book after reading the first few pages; however, that feeling changed once the story picked up in the second chapter. I became enchanted with and enjoyed this fun and engaging book. I was captivated with and loved Christina's and Lyon's characters. Their continual banter kept me laughing and the side characters were simply wonderful. I did find some of the situations toward the end of the book bordering on the ridiculous. That bein
Kathleen
4.5 stars.

This heroine eats shoots and leaves.
A dark plot involving a sociopathic aunt and a heinous father, but also smexy-hot and highly entertaining. Absolutely one of the funniest historical romances I have read, with all the language and culture differences between Christina, raised among the Dakota tribe, and Lyon, raised to become a wealthy English Marquess. What a drool-worthy warrior spy. Tender, protective, and passionate. Good sense of humor, too. I want a Lyon of my own!

This is m
Zumbagirl
After reading several books recently about troubled marriages, finally, a very sweet, happy and funny story - Julie Garwood always delivers:) The Lion's Lady is the first in the Crown's Spies series, but I read the third one first, The Gift, which I also loved. Ms. Garwood does seem to have a formula - spunky heroine, very protective warrior hero - but,hey, that's okay, it's still very entertaining. The prologue was maybe the best one I've read - also liked the different setting. Christ
KatieV
This was a great light, feel-good listen. Great for when you just want something to put a smile on your face (like most Julie Garwood's). The narrator, Susan Duerden really brings the story alive.

This is a fish out of water story and parts of it were quite amusing. The increasingly ridiculous lies the heroine tells the hero to hide her true identity are pretty funny.

The heroine was a white girl raised by Dakota Indians who has taken her place in the Ton to try and fulfill her deceased mother's
Star
Apr 22, 2014 Star rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever watched a preview or read an excerpt that made you laugh so hard you wanted to read/watch the whole thing - only to be disappointed that the one funny scene that entranced you is at the very end? And that it was the main/only one?

Thats what happened to me here. I liked both main characters and the heroines native american background and tenuous grasp of the english language makes for some hilarity. I admired her strength and love of nature, enjoyed her simplistic sense of style and
Jane (PS)
Feb 20, 2011 Jane (PS) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really appealed to me. My first read by Julie Garwood and I loved it. The focus is on the relationships in this book, more so than on the 'mystery'. I loved the couple interaction. The h was not TSTL - I was a bit worried that the author may have taken the character too far down that aisle, but fortunately, pulled up before she did something 'too stupid'. She just came across as brave and a bit different instead.

The story opens with the Dakota Indians and Christina's advent into their
Pamela(AllHoney)
"The chaos surrounding her was confusing. Everyone was suddenly talking at the same time. Perhaps she should try to swoon after all, Christina considered. No, the settee was already taken, and the floor didn't look all that appealing. She settled on wringing her hands. It was the best she could do to look upset."

The first book in the Crown's Spies series. Julie Garwood writes some of the best heroes in the business in my humble opinion. Lyon, Marquess of Lyonwood, has met his match in Christina
Crista
Aug 29, 2015 Crista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, historical, series, hot, lol
4 1/2 stars!

Fabulous and funny read by the incomparable Julie Garwood! This book was the exact book I needed to read at this time. Good humor is so hard to write well, and Garwood truly has the gift of wit!

I loved both the hero AND the heroine and highly recommend this book!
Jane Stewart
Mar 24, 2014 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable. Humorous.

Christina keeps secrets and lies to Lyon a lot. He knows she is lying - so that’s ok with me. Other authors annoy me when lies do not fit motivations. That does not happen here. Christina wants a temporary marriage and plans to divorce him soon after. He gets bent out of shape over that.

One reviewer complained it was not historically accurate about Indians in America. If that’s true, I don’t care. I enjoyed it for what it was – light, fun, escape, and romance.

AUDIOBOOK NARRAT
The Eleventh Hour
DNF. I really enjoyed the beginning, but then when the love story kicked in, I lost interest. I just found the plot and the characters silly, contrived and dated. I could tell this was a romance novel written in the 1980s. The hero is extra Alpha-y with an especially dated "all women are liars and I know this because of my experience with my ex-wife" type of mindset. The heroine is plucky, almost tiresomely so. She often mixes up her words, which leads to frequent misunderstandings in conversati ...more
Vilda
"Warriors did like to get their way, Christina knew. This one more than most, of course. He was a lion, after all, and he had just captured his lioness."

Having no clue about what to read after finishing a new favorite series, and with Garwood's Highlander series a week away from arriving at my door (gosh, I never knew just how much e-books spoil me!), I decided to give one of her other books I already had a try! I had no idea what to expect from The Lion's Lady when picking it up, but was plea
Slavena
Jun 18, 2010 Slavena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes regency historical romance, spitfire heroines, obssesive heroes
This was very enchanting and amusing read. Take someone raised by native indians given basic education of regency english society and language and deposit them to the "ton". It was a great story and I was lmao more then I have while reading a romance book. The h/h were extremely interesting and amusing, he heroine was totaly my style (spitfire/badass) and the hero was yummy and obssesive of her <3.

Fav quote
"Lyon knew she wasn't aware she was being watched, either. She wouldn't have eaten the
Andrea
What a fun book!

I bought The Lion's Lady after a recommendation during a DBSA (Dear Bitches, Smart Author) podcast. They hosts talked about a historical romance that was lively and a bit unique, and after reading, I concur. What made TLL so interesting was Christina's upbringing by Native Americans, and how it shaped her actions and thoughts in every way. It lent the story an different sort Regency heroine, and I love how she tamed her hero, Lyon.

The dialogue was witty and fast-paced, as was the
Sarita
Dec 18, 2009 Sarita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarita by: Cheryl Robbins
I only give 4 and 5 stars to books I can't put down, and since this didn't fall into that category....hence the 3.

My biggest problem with this book is that it felt rushed. That the writing style was too choppy. I actually felt myself getting antsy while reading it! I had to put it down because I felt like it was just way too fast.

OK good comparison...if you have ever seen the childrens animated movie "Authur"...that's how this felt. I just wanted the author to slow down and put more inner dialo
Carolyn F.
Oct 31, 2010 Carolyn F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Garwood's medieval books and thought I might like this, but English girl raised by Indians and then returned to England. I thought it would be very predictable. Well, it wasn't and I loved it. I loved how Lyon would just shake his head at the stuff she said but just be enchanted with her. My favorite scene is when she is touching all of his scars saying how attractive they are in a warrior when he was afraid she would be disgusted by them. This was a very funny, romantic book. Would reco ...more
Karla

4 Stars! Another fun book by Julie Garwood and it was awesome on audio!

You just gotta go with this one and chuckle your way through. The Lyon and his Lyoness... so charming!!
Tiko
with this book i saw completely new side of Julie Garwood! (at least new to me :D)

i have read almost all of her medieval romances and already knew that she was a genius, but this was something totally different xD

1. the scene of the book was set in 19th century;
2. the heroine was raised by Indians!
3. the hero was an ex crown spy;
4. it was so funny... and the hero was sooooo damn hot, charming, adorable...(but its like that in almost all of her books so that its not such a big of a novelty :D)

th
Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
I was impressed with this novel. Christina being raised by Natives and then returning to England to honour her mother's request to bring her father to justice was definitely an interesting premise. The prologue nicely set the stage for this, as well as for Christina's character, and Jessica's journal developed this plot nicely without interfering with Lyon and Christina's romance, which was rather whirlwind and angry, but tender and joyful as well.

The characters were impressive as well. I think
Ruth
I really enjoyed this one. It has a fairly original twist on a theme (outsider to the ton), and the plot moves quite quickly. It's really the interactions between the hero and heroine which keep the book moving, however. Their attraction to each other, the secrets they want to keep from each other and the back story of the heroine's mother are really great. I particularly like that neither the hero nor heroine underestimate each other, despite their disparate backgrounds and experiences. The her ...more
Lelyana
Jul 04, 2012 Lelyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ini yang bikin aku suka banget sama Julie Garwood. Karakter heroine nya selalu kuat dan berkarakter serta gak gampang osteoporosis menghadapi hero nya yang biasa nya arogan, sok berkuasa, ganteng dan sok jual mahal itu ....hihiiiiii

Yuk kita dengarkan cerita oma Lely.....
Pada jaman dahulu kala tersebut lah kisah tentang seorang Princess, namanya Princess Christina. Benarkah dia Princess?

Christina sudah sejak usia tahun di besarkan di tengah2 lingkungan keluarga Indian Dakota , oleh ibu angkat ny
İnci Puyan
Mar 18, 2016 İnci Puyan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Bu kadın hep yazsın! Yemesin... içmesin... konuşmasın... kalkmasın otursun yazsın! Çevirmenlerde durmadan çevirsinler olmadı yayınevleri orjinallerini burada da yayınlasınlar bizlerde yemeyip, içmeyip hep bu kadını okuyalım :D Nasıl fikir? Bence muhteşem! :)

Garwood'un kalemini seviyorum. Konusunu okumadan, çıktığında hemen aldığım nadir yazarlardan biri kendisi... Beni bu yazara kim alıştırdı merak ediyorum fena halde fanı oldum sanki :)

Neyse...

Kitaba ger
Nonieღserenity2bliss
Loved it so much! This is the second book I read by the JG and I must say, after my not-so-spectacular-first-experience with her book, I was prepared to not like this one very much either. But I was wrong. The Lion's Lady is all-around charming.

My only sour point is that we didn't know what happened to Christina's Indian family. I was hoping that towards the end of the story, she'll return home to introduce Lyon to them but that didn't happen.
Laura V.
Nunca conocí a una prota que mintiera tanto y se sintiera tan bien. Christina es amor puro.

Aunque me gusta ver todo este cambio en Lyon al conocerla, toma una actitud muy dominante y posesiva con su persona, por momentos creí que quería meterla en una jaula, robándole su valiosa libertad. Sus actitudes no me gustaron, pero Christina lo quiere y él la quiere, y se nota el amor inmenso que lograron hacer crecer formando una bonita pareja.

Christina es muy diferente a la talla de mujer de esa época
fleurette
I don't usually like Julie Garwood books but she is really popular and I have read The Secret and enjoyed it enough that I'm eager to give her a chance. On the contrary, I have already read the second book in this series Guardian Angel and I didn't finished it because the heroine is so irritating.

This one was written in 1988 but I didn't know about it while reading and it didn't feel old school at all. It's a paradox regarding the fact that I annoyed with this in the second book. But it felt mo
Kusanagi
Oct 30, 2015 Kusanagi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, regency, 19-ème
Bon ce serait plutôt 4-4,5 si on tient compte de la crédibilité XD, mais c'est vraiment 5 si je tiens compte du plaisir de lecture et de l'héroïne....

Parce que l'éducation particulière de Christina (que vous découvrirez dans le premier chapitre ^^) fait que notre demoiselle a:
- un tempérament de feu
- une façon bien particulière de tout prendre au pied de la lettre....
- un côté Arya Stark bien caché sous une héroïne Regency XD (déjà faut pas la menacer, et vous avez de la chance qu'elle ne vous t
Julianna
Mar 09, 2011 Julianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Julie Garwood
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"3.5 stars" I've considered myself to be a fan of Julie Garwood for close to twenty years now, but in spite of my loyalty to her writing and my usual ability to cut her some slack even when the story isn't quite perfect for me, I couldn't help coming away from reading The Lion's Lady with very mixed feelings. The more of Ms. Garwood's books I read/re-read, the more I've come to realize that there is a certain sameness in her characters and the development of their relatio
Let's Talk About ...: The Lion's Lady (Crown's Spies #1) 8 29 Apr 27, 2013 07:22AM
Let's Talk About ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Group Read for June (The Lion's Lady)(spoilers) 37 22 Jun 21, 2012 01:19PM
  • Tender Rebel (Malory-Anderson Family, #2)
  • Lord of Fire (Knight Miscellany, #2)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • Splendid (The Splendid Trilogy, #1)
  • Dangerous
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...

Crown's Spies (4 books)
  • Guardian Angel (Crown's Spies, #2)
  • The Gift (Crown's Spies, #3)
  • Castles (Crown's Spies #4)

“Lyon knew she wasn't aware she was being watched, either. She wouldn't have eaten the leaf otherwise, or reached for another.

“Sir, which one is Princess Christina?” Andrew asked Lyon, just as Rhone started in choking on his laughter. Rhone has obviously been watching Christina, too.

“Sir?”

“The blond-headed one,” Lyon muttered, shaking his head. He watched in growing disbelief as Christina daintily popped another leaf into her mouth.

“Which blond-headed one?” Andrew persisted.

“The one eating the shrubs.”
79 likes
“The chaos surrounding her was confusing. Everyone was suddenly talking at the same time. Perhaps she should try to swoon after all, Christine considered. No, the settee was already taken, and the floor didn't look all that appealing. She settled on wringing her hands. It was the best she could do to look upset.” 48 likes