Start by marking “Honeymoon With Murder” as Want to Read:
Honeymoon With Murder

Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand #4)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  953 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Mystery Bookstore owner Annie Laurance is well-acquainted with murder, but she never imagined one taking place on her honeymoon! A marvelous spoof of New Age mumbo jumbo by an author whose work has been compared to that of Agatha Christie.
Published August 4th 2010 by Crimeline (first published December 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Honeymoon With Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honeymoon With Murder

Kate
It's been awhile since I read a Death on Demand mystery and now I remember why: the INCESSANT referral to this or that other mystery, in the form of a simile, as in "As Father Brown would say.." There is nothing wrong with this a few times a book. A few times a chapter however, and it can drive one batty. Sometimes I think these books exist solely to show off the author's admittedly encyclopedic knowledge of classic mysteries. But especially in Book on CD form, this really set my teeth on edge!
A...more
Syd Perry
Kathy Davie
Fourth in the Death on Demand mystery series revolving around Annie Laurance, the owner of the Death on Demand bookstore located on Broward's Rock.

My Take
It's loyalty to a friend and a search for the truth. Crane certainly takes us on a winding path to solve this murder. And as irritating as I find Annie, I thank god for her as well because, lord knows, the legal authorities certainly are hopeless!

While I appreciated everyone's loyalty to Ingrid and enjoyed the quirky personalities in Hart's ser...more
melissa
This one was great. I love all the references the author packs into each novel. It shows the author is a huge fan of a wide variety of mystery novels herself. I was a little put off when I realized that the wedding was going to take place in the book (as opposed to in between them), but the author pulled it off well. The wedding took place in the beginning of the book, and really didn't have anything to do with the mystery, but was nicely worked in. I can't imagine wanting to do anything less on...more
Sandra Strange
Carolyn Hart writes about mystery bookstore owner Annie Laurance and her mate, Max Darling (a southerner who has money, so works as a solver of problems because he neither wants to exercise or go through the certification process for law or as a PI or to put in much effort to work hard at either). This one entangles them in another murder mystery just as they've celebrated their wedding and are poised to leave on their honeymoon.
The series features Max's New Age psychic, artistic mother who is...more
Ruth
An entertaining romp-- just make sure you pack extra willing-suspension-of-disbelief capsules along with your bookmark when you set out. It's fun. It isn't taxing. But, please, oh please. In books 1 and 2 Annie (the series heroine) was suspected of murder and in book 3 it was Max (her significant other), now here we are in book 4 and it's Ingrid, Annie's stalwart assistant at Death on Demand who is on the official hook for murder. Who's next? Agatha the cat? Laurel the Mother-in-Law? Henney Braw...more
Michelle
Another book in the Death on Demand series, this installment features Annie and Max's wedding, which goes beautifully...but that very night, Annie gets a frantic call from her bookshop helper Ingrid, and when she and Max arrive at Ingrid's home they find the corpse of a much-loathed neighbor, but no sign of the inhabitant. As it turns out, every other inhabitant of Nightingale Court had a reason to want Jesse dead, but the police inspector assumes that Ingrid's disappearance proves her the murde...more
Sue
Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand#4) by Carolyn Hart.

Annie and Max finally get married.On the wedding night, they just make it to their room when the phone rings. It's Annie's best friend, Ingrid, and she's being attacked.The night of Annie and Max's wedding, the matron of honor disappears and a dead body is found in her home. The Darlings postpone their honeymoon to try to find their missing friend. Unfortunately, the horrid Circuit Court Solicitor takes over the investigation since the Br...more
Mary
After reading the reviews I was a little hesitant to read this book. But once I was into it I found it was what I have learned to expect from Hart. Yes, there is one character that curses a lot and I could see how this could set people off but it isn't the whole book. There are references to other mystery writers/characters but not to the degree that you cannot understand what is going on. I personally like how she makes this reference to other writers/characters because you either know who she...more
Leslee
This is okay. The Death on Demand series is really for people who have read every mystery book ever written - everything that happens is compared to something that happened in some other book ("if this were a Mary Roberts Rinehart book, Annie would have done X"). I've read a couple of these before and didn't find it too irritating (though I haven't read most of the books referenced). It turns out, I must have been skimming, because when I was listening to this one, I kept wishing I could fast fo...more
Sherry
A decent cozy filled with eccentric characters and a good story. Three and a half stars. The author inserted a lot of references to other mysteries and mystery authors which at first was humorous but it wore on me as the book progressed - thus the half a star rating.
Katiez
I liked the cast of characters in this book. There was a nice mix of humour alongside pathos. I find the references to other mysteries a bit tedious at times but it is an enjoyable cozy mystery.
Vanessa
The night of Annie and Max's wedding, the matron of honor disappears and a dead body is found in her home. The Darlings postpone their honeymoon to try to find their missing friend. Unfortunately, the horrid Circuit Court Solicitor takes over the investigation since the Broward Rock police chief is out of the country. The Darlings, along with Henny and Max's mother, must find Ingrid, clear her name, and figure out who committed the real murder.

This plot was not as well constructed as the previou...more
Carol  MacInnis
Another enjoyable 'whodunit' story by Carolyn Hart. I also enjoy following Annie & Max's relationship right into their wedding.

Right after their wedding, they went to their room when only to be disturbed by the telephone. It's Ingrid, Annie's friend and co-worker and she's screaming for Annie's help over the phone. When Max & Annie arrive, there is the notorious 'peeping tom' Jesse Penrick in the middle of Ingrid's livingroom floor with a sword in his chest and Ingrid is missing.

A good...more
Chelsea
Meh. I have to warn you that on all these random mysteries I'm pulling off the shelf, I must be skimming them pretty quickly because a friend of mine told me she didn't like one very much that I had given 4 stars to as it apparently had a character who was into erotic art. Um? What? I either can't remember that part or honestly never had it register in my mind as I was skimming and reading. So, take these random books at your own caution!
Jessi
It took me a long time to read this book. Not sure if it was the anticipation of reading the Christie Caper but I think it was the pacing.
Ingrid has gone missing on the same night that a nasty old blackmailer is found dead. Did she do it? No one knows but regular law enforcement is out of town and the District Attorney just wants to blame the easiest person (Ingrid.) It's once again up to Annie and Max to solve this mystery.
Mazel
Il n'y a pas que les livres dans la vie!

Aussi Annie Laurance délaisse-t-elle quelques jours sa librairie, Crimes à la demande, pour épouser Max Darling.

Mais lorsque déboule un cadavre, avant même le début de leur lune de miel, Annie et Max se retrouvent à nouveau avec une enquête sur les bras.

Et, dans la réalité, les crimes sont beaucoup moins plaisants que ceux qui émaillent les pages des romans policiers...
Teddi
I thought this would be a good one with all the run up to the wedding but I can't even finish it! Everything about it is annoying me to no end, the characters (especially Henny & Posey) drive me nuts and the whole premise of having to stay in the camp when they are supposed to be on their honeymoon is just stupid!
I will try one more book and if it doesn't improve considerably, I'm done with the series
I liked the plot, the characters and the book as a whole, but one thing drove me nuts: the whole "Men's Side/Women's Side" that came up way too much when talking about the camp, which is pretty often. That dead horse was beaten to a bloody pulp. But I nitpick at little things, and it's little things like that which make me mad and pull me out of the story, at least temporarily.
Judy Goodnight
Annie & Max's honeymoon gets delayed when Annie's Death on Demand assistant, Ingrid, vanishes leaving a dead body behind in her cabin.

A more complicated puzzle in this book, but all the facts are there to figure out whodunit.
MommaLaura
I loved the many references to detectives throughout the years. Annie and Mac get married. On the wedding night, they just make it to their room when the phone rings. It's Annie's best friend and she's being attacked!!!
Chris
Sherri
When I started this book I thought it was a little old fashioned but as I got more into the story I really liked it. I would recommend it!
Kathy Chung
Similar to Agatha Christie work. Who-dun-it murder mystery.

I had an enjoyable time guessing who is the muderer.

Fun
Rona
This is very light, low stress reading. I intend to spend more time with these characters when I want some relaxing murder ;-)
A
This was the first book I read of this author, still have the book. Good mystery and characters.
Ada
I would have given this a higer rating, the story was good, but the language was really foul.
Terri
tried to read it - language was too bad within the first few pages to waste my time reading.
Rebecca
The shifting POV was a bit annoying but probably unnoticed by the average reader.
Sheila
Not quite the honeymoon that Annie Lawrence Darling had in mind. Nice cozy mystery.
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid...more
More about Carolyn Hart...
Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1) Dare to Die (Death on Demand, #19) Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12) Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10) Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)