Start by marking “The Raven and Other Poems and Tales by Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
The Raven and Other Poems and Tales by Edgar Allan Poe

The Raven and Other Poems and Tales by Edgar Allan Poe

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  693 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Edgar Allan Poe shaped the development of both the detective story and science-fiction genres and his poems remain among the favourites of American literature. This illustrated collection contains familiar and popular tales and poems including, The House of Usher and The Pit and the Pendulum.
Published November 1st 2001 by Bulfinch Press (first published 1845)

Be the first to ask a question about The Raven and Other Poems and Tales by Edgar Allan Poe

Nicole~
Apr 04, 2015 Nicole~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Raven debuted in 1845 to instant success, thanks to some smart circulating moves by Poe, himself. It put Poe in the center of the public eye after years of floundering, and into what we would describe today as "pop culture" celebrity.
It is a narrative in verse, telling the story of a black bird that sought shelter from tumultuous weather. It flew into a student's bedroom, frightening him from his sorrowful memories of his deceased mistress. The inconsolable lover curiously asked the bird's n
Lauren Hawkins
Nov 02, 2015 Lauren Hawkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seasonal
I love reading Edgar Allan Poe's stories and poems; I also loved how this anthology fit together wonderfully!
Rhonda Hankins
read it if you dare.
Silvia
Jun 05, 2007 Silvia rated it it was amazing
Raramente me empolgo com poesia estrangeira. Basicamente por dois motivos - pouca bagagem para ler no original e falta de paciência com as traduções. Mas a adaptação de "O Corvo" para o português, feita por Machado de Assis, é genial. O texto de Poe foi mantido nos detalhes mais doentios:

Em certo dia, à hora
Da meia-noite que apavora,
Eu, caindo de sono e exausto de fadiga,
Ao pé de muita lauda antiga,
De uma velha doutrina agora morta,
Ia pensando, quando ouvi à porta
Do meu quarto um soar devagarinh
Kenneth Corte
Sep 29, 2013 Kenneth Corte rated it really liked it
Last year in English class, I had forgotten my "SSR" book. My teacher told to find one from her book shelf. As I scanned the books, a very small book, hiding behind large new books of the latest teen novel, caught my eye. It turned out to be the story of "The black cat", by Edgar Allan Poe. I was so fascinated by his work that this year, I decided to read a collection of his works. Since the book is an assortment of stories, I can only say what the plots of the stories are usually like. Each sto ...more
Duncan Reed
Mar 05, 2016 Duncan Reed rated it did not like it
The poems are quite good but I found the short stories so dull
Andrea Travis
May 14, 2015 Andrea Travis rated it it was amazing
who isn't amazed by Poe, really? lovely floating darkness
รнαяk αdvσcαтє [lєvi] diรтυяbєd wяiтєя
I didn't expect to actually understand most of what I read, and I didn't. What I did understand was pretty interesting, but (maybe it's the not understanding or the fact that it's not the 1800's anymore) I didn't find it scary or disturbing. I was hoping the "horror" part of Penguin Horror would be a lot scarier. Hoping to have better results with other books in the series.
Lee
Sep 26, 2012 Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: crow-covers
This was part of my quest to read more poems.
Unfortunately, while I re-discovered that Poe was a true master of macabre story-telling, I concurrently discovered that his writing is way too dark for me! What a wimp I am - I loved Poe when I was a teenager...well, it went with my all-black-and-gloomy get-up didn't it?
Mitch Adkins
Oct 16, 2014 Mitch Adkins rated it really liked it
Edgar Allen Poe is a master of early horror and suspense literature. Poe's mastery of telling chilling and atmospheric tales is sometimes overshadowed by advanced and confusing sentence structures.
Alexandra
Sep 15, 2013 Alexandra rated it liked it
I enjoyed a couple of the poems/stories and of course I will always love The Raven(my favorite) but some of the stories were just a bit too out there for me.
Michael
Aug 10, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Poe poetic works are wonderfully rich and dark. The complete absense of the sacharine make these pieces deeply moving and thought provolking.
John Wilson
It's no use. Every time I read The Raven I can't not hear the voices of James Earl Jones and Dan Castelleneta.
Bob
Apr 28, 2014 Bob rated it it was amazing
Pure, simple, creepy, genius. Stories I can never forget. Warning: Do not read before going to sleep.
Ashwise
Apr 22, 2014 Ashwise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the work of Edgar Allan Poe and it was great reading some works by him I never heard of.
Moira
Feb 26, 2013 Moira rated it it was amazing
My favorites are the black cat, the cask of the amontillado, and the tell tale heart
Kazept
Dec 06, 2010 Kazept rated it it was amazing
Edgar Allan Poe, will keep you up at night. For all the right reasons.
Makasha Dorsey
not sure why I'm starting this in the middle of the night
Hanna
Nov 03, 2012 Hanna rated it it was amazing
I mean, what other rating do you give to Poe?
Shannon Davies
Mar 12, 2014 Shannon Davies rated it it was amazing
Brilliant as expected.
Anna Karenina
Dec 16, 2012 Anna Karenina rated it really liked it
I always come back to Poe.
axveria dragon
Paul
Feb 21, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it
best ever
Berengaria Navarre
Berengaria Navarre rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Laura Hernández
Laura Hernández marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Louise Watt
Louise Watt rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
  • Haunted Castles
  • American Supernatural Tales
  • Bluebeard (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • The Spook House: Terrifying Tales of the Macabre
  • The Train
  • The Strange Adventures of H.P. Lovecraft
  • A Casa
  • Sade: A Biography
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...