The Raven and Other Poems and Tales by Edgar Allan Poe

The Raven and Other Poems and Tales by Edgar Allan Poe

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  568 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Poe shaped the development of both the detective story and science-fiction genres and his poems remain among the favourites of American literature. This collection contains popular tales and poems including, To Helan and Dream-land.
Published October 1st 2001 by Bulfinch Press (first published June 1975)

Nicole~
The Raven debuted in 1845 to instant success, thanks to some smart circulating moves by Poe, himself. It put Poe in the center of the public eye after years of floundering, and into what we would describe today as "pop culture" celebrity.
It is a narrative in verse, telling the story of a black bird that sought shelter from tumultuous weather. It flew into a student's bedroom, frightening him from his sorrowful memories of his deceased mistress. The inconsolable lover curiously asked the bird's n...more
Victor Silva
Provavelmente o mais famoso poema de sempre. Talvez. Um livro com duas traduções mais o oiginal em Inglês. As traduções para português foram feitas por dois génios da nossa língua : Fernando Pessoa e Machado de Assis. Preferi a versão do Pessoa, tem uma linguagem mais contemporânea além de conseguir passar melhor a ideia de solidão e desespero.

O poema é realmente impressionante, vicia... Lemos e relemos. Uma personagem (provavelmente o Poe) não consegue esquecer a amada que morreu, e uma noite e...more
Alissa
I love Poe and can't think of a better author to read in October. He has some creepy stuff. It's fantastic!
Rhonda Hankins
read it if you dare.
Silvia
Raramente me empolgo com poesia estrangeira. Basicamente por dois motivos - pouca bagagem para ler no original e falta de paciência com as traduções. Mas a adaptação de "O Corvo" para o português, feita por Machado de Assis, é genial. O texto de Poe foi mantido nos detalhes mais doentios:

Em certo dia, à hora
Da meia-noite que apavora,
Eu, caindo de sono e exausto de fadiga,
Ao pé de muita lauda antiga,
De uma velha doutrina agora morta,
Ia pensando, quando ouvi à porta
Do meu quarto um soar devagarinh...more
Kenneth Corte
Last year in English class, I had forgotten my "SSR" book. My teacher told to find one from her book shelf. As I scanned the books, a very small book, hiding behind large new books of the latest teen novel, caught my eye. It turned out to be the story of "The black cat", by Edgar Allan Poe. I was so fascinated by his work that this year, I decided to read a collection of his works. Since the book is an assortment of stories, I can only say what the plots of the stories are usually like. Each sto...more
Shannon Davies
Brilliant as expected.
Yami
Finally finished it :)

Poe can make the story goes on and on and on, or to just keep it short XD i like the short ones most, some of the intros made me bored till he reached his main point and from then i get interested in it again, no need to review his writings its all about death and love and DEATH "enough said"

my fav. ones
-The Black Cat
-The Tell-Tale Heart
-The Gold Bug "this one was very clever indeed"
-Annabel Lee Poem

what i didn't like is "The Pit and the Pendulum" ,i guess it was the dark...more
Paul
best ever
Helena
Neste livro é nos dada a conhecer os dois tipos de tradução, para além do original. Prefiro o poema. Fica mais coerente. Como compreendi a versão original, não perdi a perceção das palavras.
O poema traduz um sentimento de solidão, pela perda de alguém que foi amada pelo narrador de tal modo, que até um corvo lhe parecia boa companhia e bom veiculo para o levar para junto dessa pessoa.
Eva
Poe never fails to send chills down my spine. It was such a mystery how he wrote most of his poems and short stories in a very strange, almost eerie way that lingers in your mind long enough to scare you. I am not a big fan of "bizarre and gothic horror", I do not even watch "Twilight Zone" but Edgar Allan Poe was an exemption.

Lee
This was part of my quest to read more poems.
Unfortunately, while I re-discovered that Poe was a true master of macabre story-telling, I concurrently discovered that his writing is way too dark for me! What a wimp I am - I loved Poe when I was a teenager...well, it went with my all-black-and-gloomy get-up didn't it?
Karen
I liked reading this, he must have had some kind of weird mind for his times! I remember reading this in high school and memorizing the Raven and Annabel Lee, it brought back memories! ( I can't quote the poems anymore, though!) He does leave you a little shaky after some of the stories. Great Classic!
Juan Artinez
this is the best poetry book out there. it tells stroys writen by edgar allen poe how was a sad depressing man how wrote mostly about a girl named lenore. I think that the raven explains a lot about this girl named lenore. my favorite part about this book was when the raven keeps on saying nevermore.
Giannis Karageorgos
Τα πρώτο του διήγημα θεωρώ πως είναι καταπληκτικό. Αναμφισβήτητα εκπληκτικός συγγραφέας. Λίγο μονότονος στη γραφή του στο συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο. Θα έλεγα πως με κούρασε. Επίσης κάποια κείμενα του είναι πολύ σουρεάλ πράγμα που δεν μου κεντρίζει το ενδιαφέρον. Βέβαια αυτό είναι θέμα γούστου.
Carolina Sousa
Esta edição é incrível, daquelas que adoramos preservar. Ilustrações que fazem jus ao texto e a tradução de Fernando Pessoa (a meu ver, a melhor) está muito bem feita. "Annabel Lee" não conhecia e graças a estes dois poemas fiquei fã acérrima do trabalho de Sir Poe. Gostei muito, 5*
Lani
My favorite short of his was "Ligeia"--a sweet, yet chilling love story.

Poe's writing is superb and only fails to receive five stars because sometimes it is a little too much by way of eeriness.
Alexandra
I enjoyed a couple of the poems/stories and of course I will always love The Raven(my favorite) but some of the stories were just a bit too out there for me.
Michael
Poe poetic works are wonderfully rich and dark. The complete absense of the sacharine make these pieces deeply moving and thought provolking.
Rakisha
I felt like reading The Raven. IT was beautiful and lyrical but not my cup of tea.
Lauraco
I just love Poe!
Moira
My favorites are the black cat, the cask of the amontillado, and the tell tale heart
Kazept
Edgar Allan Poe, will keep you up at night. For all the right reasons.
Hanna
I mean, what other rating do you give to Poe?
Anna Karenina
I always come back to Poe.
Maryam
  • Le Monogramme
  • The Library
  • Slasher Girls & Monster Boys
  • ابرِ شلوارپوش - به‌انضمامِ «نی‌لبکِ مهره‌های پشت» و سال‌گشت
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado