Start by marking “Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need” as Want to Read:
Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need

Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  2,934 ratings  ·  107 reviews
TAKE YOUR TRAVEL TIPS FROM DAVE BARRY,
A GUY WHO IS REALLY GONE!

Complete with maps, histories, quaint local facts (France's National Underwear Changing Day is March 12), song lyrics, helpful hints on how to get through Customs (all insects must be spayed), and tidbits from Dave Barry's own fond vacation nightmares, DAVE BARRY'S ONLY TRAVEL GUIDE YOU'LL EVER NEED is just tha
Published July 28th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need

Weston Locher
Jan 24, 2010 Weston Locher rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of other Dave Barry books
Shelves: essays, humor, 2010-reads
This is one of those books that I read in just one or two sittings. It was that good (and that short). Anytime a friend or loved one of mine is going on vacation or traveling for business, I encourage them to read this book prior to their departure. They almost never do, but that's their loss.

Most critics will agree that this is Barry's best book (followed closely by "Greatest Hits"). Of the Barry titles that I have read, I would tend to agree. It's very cohesive and contains illustrations that
Scott Rachui
When things get too serious, Dave Barry is always a perfect way to lighten the mood and give a solid belly laugh or two. This book is no exception.
Christina
I didn't find this book all that funny-it may have made me smile slightly once or twice, but overall was disappointing. The humor relied too much on cliches. It was clear where the author had some first-hand experience, and where he was just filling in the blanks with made up words and obviously false, silly facts. There was also too much repetition. For example, showing the same obviously fake full page map for every major city in Europe. The first time was cute, second was also cute when you r ...more
John Mcconahey
Whether you are a novice traveler or an experienced journey master, you’ll find something to chuckle about in this tongue-in-cheek “guide.”

Dave Barry satirizes not only the travel process, but also pokes fun at stereotypes in destination countries. In the USA, he reviews what each state has to offer, leaving the reader to decide the veracity of his statements. For example: “Other popular Pennsylvania attractions include Pennsylvania Dutch Country, where visitors may see authentic tourists eating
Mary
I remember reading this when I was a kid at my grandparents' cabin, and I recently went to my grandparents' cabin--and found this book again. It was just as funny as I remember, and the kind of funny where you laugh out loud and people ask, "What are you laughing at?" and you can read it back to them. Barry is probably the best journalistic humorist of the past fifty years--his sentences are perfectly balanced and his punchlines are carefully weighted towards the end of a paragraph. A few runnin ...more
Barry Frangipane
Dave Barry's irreverent sense of humor is at its best in this book. It had me laughing out loud and shaking my head in agreement many times. If one was to take Barry seriously here, one would think that he is completely nationalistic, and one who can do nothing but poke fun of other cultures. But what does one know?

Using humor, Dave Barry masterfully takes the readers on a journey questioning their own pre-conceived ideas about other cultures and other places, and the way things "should" be.

The
L.J.
Jan 15, 2008 L.J. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Humor, light reading
This is a very funny book, ridiculous and silly but I really enjoyed it and at times found myself laughing really loudly in the airplane I was on at the time. My wife even peered over to see what was wrong with me and I then I had to read her some passages, in which she laughed but rolled her eyes and pretty much said it was 'silly'. So silly is the end remark but good.
Maurean
Just a funny, silly little book
Complete with maps, histories, quiant local facts (France's National Underwear Changing Day is March 12), song lyrics, helpful hints on how to get through Customs (all insects must be spayed) and tidbits from Dave Barry's own fond vacation nightmares
Joanne Nock
This is very funny in parts and possible to finish in an afternoon. Dave Barry gives his refreshing take on travelling both internally in the US and abroad, going into detail about all 50 states and the individual European nations. Apparently the only thing Europeans have in common is that they hate each other, pretty fair. Interesting that all the old American gripes about continental Europe come up, the bad food in England, bad manners in France and bad driving in Italy and how to visitors fro ...more
Duncan Mandel
EDITORIAL REVIEW:

"[Dave Barry] is one of the funniest people ever to tap tap on a PC. This new book is a riot."THE PHILADELPHIA INQUIRERComplete with maps, histories, quaint local facts, song lyrics, helpful hints on how to get through Customs, and tidbits from Dave Barry's own fond vacation nightmares, here is all you really need to know about travel, including: How to Speak a Foreign Language in Just 30 Minutes Without Necessarily Having Any Idea What You Are Talking About; Camping: Nature's W
Marsha
When the author, Dave Barry, speaks of Disney World dominating the entire central state of Florida, it’s truth with a mixture of exaggeration. He writes:

“Once you get to Florida, you can’t miss Disney World, because the Disney corporation owns the entire center the state… Just get on any major highway, and eventually it will dead-end in a Disney parking area large enough to have its own climate, populated by large nomadic families who have been trying to find their cars since the Carter administ
C.C. Thomas
Barry is like a male Erma Bombeck. He discuss the pains and complexities of a 'married with children' lifestyle. While Barry is not hilarious, he is funny in a dark-humor kind of way, which is my favorite kind of humor. He also reminds me of a Ray Romano-type comic.

Honestly, though, Barry's humor sometimes gets trying and a perfect example is his travel treatise on the 50 states. He doesn't actually discuss all 50 but it sure seemed like twice that many. His humor has many random factoids in it.
Cassandra
While I enjoyed it a bit, it wasn't as funny as some of his other material. At times it felt almost too over-the-top, trying a little too hard. But I definitely enjoyed it when he shared his own experiences with his family and I could see myself reading parts of this book to my children when I force them on road trips!
John P
No, I'm still not tired of Mr. Barry. He's got a whole raft of books out there and when I read or re-read any, I never fail to find a few good laughs. I don't recommend any of his book's over another - they all work for me.

I do need to locate and read his Pulitzer work someday...
Dina P.
ok, this book is categorized into "humor" section, so it must be funny. and yes it's funny, too funny that I couldn't laugh anymore in reading the pages. this book is full of sarcasm on places and history that I'm not able to differ which one is real and which one is joking.
Katherine Wilkins Bienkowski
Okay, I didn't actually finish it, because I felt obligated to leave it behind in the rented apartment in which I found it in Rome, but it was entertaining enough while it lasted. I probably would have liked it better if it were the first Dave Barry book I read, instead of the 10th.
Patty Sandifer-Baskin
Just like all of Dave Barry's books, I couldn't stop laughing. After reading this, I think that traveling with him would be awesome!! Pick up this and any of his books for a great read that will leave you in stitches!
Caramel12
I thought travel guides were meant to be bland, & if your very unlucky quite boring. But Dave Barry's guide left me in stitches from start to finish a must read for all travel junkies!!
David Nelson
If you want to travel to parts unknown (and stay there indefinitely), read this book. You'll have such a good read that you won't care where you end up.
Jackie Kehl
Although some of the comments/observations were very funny,I didn't find much of the book humorous and it became tedious. Some of it seemed rude to me.
Niranj
For a book written 20 years ago, I was surprised at how some things still haven't changed. Some of the sections in the book are hilarious (planning, packing, types of transportation, people stuffing luggage into overhead bins, traveling with family).

It's an easy read - I don't think I'll recommend this book to anyone though. Perhaps a revision of this book is due - maybe the travel industry hasn't changed much, but most certainly the way people travel these days certainly has - airport security,
Lisa Skelly
Wasn't what I expected, especially being my first Dave Barry book, but it was definitely a good one! LOL humor.
P
Another good one for Dave Barry fans, but feels dated. Read it when you want to laugh while using a minimal amount of your brain power.
Chris
I couldn't resist when I found this in a thrift shop for 40 cents. I love everything Dave Barry's written. The only problem with this book is that, having been published in 1991, it is a little dated. It is from before the European Union, it is from before Bill Clinton was president, it is from before we booked our own trips online without the assistance of a travel agent, it's even from before the royal divorces (there's a mention of Fergie, and I'm not talking about the singer). All of which i ...more
rabbitprincess
* * * 1/2 rounded up

In comparison to some of Dave's other books, this is perhaps not *quite* as funny, but it's still very entertaining indeed. My favourite parts were the "Practical (insert language) phrases", especially the French phrases, which made me laugh so hard I cried. Some parts of the book felt very familiar, but I've read so much Dave Barry over the years that I wouldn't be surprised if I'd seen some comments before. Recommended for fans.
Hannah
Reread. Apparently.

This book was fairly unremarkable, so unremarkable in fact that I absolutely did not recall reading it previously.

Well, this book had just about all of the standard grimace inducing cliches on travel. Airline food, not enough legroom, your bags being lost.

The descriptions of the states and European countries wore thin after a while.

Verdict for me: Dave Barry fiction: awesome. Dave Barry non-fiction: Ho hum.
My Rating: 3 stars
Brief Summary: A goofy book about travel (both domestic and international) by popular funnyman Dave Barry. My personal favorite part was his description of the fifty states and their highlights.
Brief Thoughts: If you've ever read a Dave Barry book, I suspect you know exactly what this book is like already. This was a fun "bathroom" read, and I neither highly recommend this book or don't recommend it. It is what it is.
Trisha LeBoeuf
This book further proves Dave Barry's position as the funniest man in America. He regales us with tips on traveling, state by state, flying, camping, traveling in Europe, and other hazards.
Sneak preview....
Massachusetts
..The drivers in Massachusetts refuse to even obey the laws of physics...Some major hobbies in Massachusetts are having comical accents and expecting the Red Sox to screw up I(:) not true, but funny).
Brian
Dave Barry is one of my all time favorite writers. He used to write for the dinky little local newspaper in West Chester, PA when I was growing up before he moved to Miami and hit the big time with a TV show. This is probably my favorite of his books. If you're going to Disney world, you should read this to know what not to do. Otherwise you'll end up imprisioned as a mascot for the rest of your life.
Natalie Salhanick
Love everything Dave Barry writes. This one is definitely dated, but still relevant. His review on Europe is surprising accurate.

The more I think about this book, the more I liked it. The fake maps were hilarious and his review of the state famous for his wife eating an entire pie in a parking lot had be reading that chapter to everyone within earshot.

It's a short read and a great laugh.
  • A Practical Guide to Racism
  • Dracula is a Racist: A Totally Factual Guide to Vampires
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • Everything Is Going to Kill Everybody: The Terrifyingly Real Ways the World Wants You Dead
  • Pure Drivel
  • When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home
  • How to Beat Up Anybody: An Instructional and Inspirational Karate Book by the World Champion
  • Suck It, Wonder Woman!: The Misadventures of a Hollywood Geek
  • I Drink for a Reason
  • I'd Rather We Got Casinos: And Other Black Thoughts
  • The Darwin Awards Countdown to Extinction
  • Cat's Cradle: Witch Mark
  • Last Chapter and Worse
  • When You Ride Alone You Ride With Bin Laden: What the Government Should Be Telling Us to Help Fight the War on Terrorism
  • Dirty Sexy Politics
  • Brain Droppings
  • The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of America
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)

“Canada is actually a major country, with an area of more than 169 billion hectometers in longitude,” 0 likes
“Head Smashed In, may I help you?” 0 likes