Total Forgiveness: When Everything in You Wants to Hold a Grudge, Point a Finger, and Remember the Pain--God Wants You to Lay It All Aside

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  52 reviews
"R.T. Kendall has given us a treasure...the hope and possibility of experiencing incredible freedom and peace that can only come when we walk in total forgiveness."" "One of the core messages of the gospel is that of total forgiveness...not only that we can be totally forgiven by God, but also that we must, in turn, totally forgive others. Our culture is bound up in bitter...more
Published September 24th 2010 by Charisma House (first published April 1st 2001)

Irene
Oct 31, 2008 Irene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has a grudge/been hurt
Recommended to Irene by: Deneen
OK. What a good book to read if you even think you have someone in your life that has "wronged" you. Very hard to put into practice - - but as a Christian, it makes total sense. I want all of the blessings that God has waiting for me - - and unforgiveness is definitely a block from receiving them!
Don Weidinger
1. Do not tell anyone what they did. Control tongue.
2. Never let them be afraid. No grudge, like your Father.
3. Do not let them feel guilty. You know not what they did.
4. Let them save face. God meant it for greater good. No explaining. God forgave us totally.
5. Protect them from secret, from same info that would hurt them.
6. Keep forgiving over-over.
7. Pray that God will bless them.
NOT: approval, justify, pardon, excuse.
Bitterness eats on soul.
Greater hurt-Greater potential.
Only say I F...more
Jeremy
This is a very simple but fairly comprehensive book on what complete forgiveness is, what it isn't, and what it looks like. Kendall talks about the implications of unforgiveness and the fruit that comes from being a forgiving person. I especially appreciated the author's distinction between forgiveness and reconciliation, and his descriptions of forgiveness in various relational scenarios. I will reference this book in the future and refer it to others.
Alina
What a great read! Kendall gives scriptural truth to why we should all forgive. As God forgave us while we were yet sinners and he chooses not to remember our sins, we are to do the same with forgiving others. It is a process and for ourselves and our relationship with Christ. The book was convicting but in a very good way. Bitterness, anger, and resentment are not good for our physical and spiritual health. They also separate us from God's blessings. I recommend this book to all.
Dave
This book is easy to read, but also very hard to read. What's hard is that it convicts our very human tendency to offer forgiveness conditionally or not at all. Kendall very effectively explains why real forgiveness entails our hoping, praying, and working for the good of those who have wronged us--even those who aren't aware or don't acknowledge their wrongdoing!

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?! Because God sacrificed the life of His only Son as redemption for sins we aren't aware of or don't acknowledge...more
Liz
My friend gave me this book because she knew I was struggling with bitterness over an offense, and it was not easy to read. The teaching is a hard one to live out, but it is biblical. I want to be careful to say that I do not agree with the concept of forgiving yourself as he teaches in this book. Nowhere in the Bible are we commanded to forgive ourselves because it is not necessary. We only need to accept the forgiveness of God and move on because of His grace. To hold onto guilt and shame afte...more
Lyle Wenger
interesting book, definitely said some things that pushed my limits on forgivness. I guess i felt like he was saying if you've forgiven somebody you then open yourself back up to them again. Which gives them the opportunity to do the very same thing to you. For some things that's fine, but if you were abused by parents or relatives, especially sexually, i don't think you become vulnerable to them again. I think you can forgive them, but be wary of them. It seems at some points in the book the au...more
Alison
The lesson is invaluable, though the writing left something to be desired. Goes beyond forgiving hurts- asking in our secret heart for the enemy to be blessed.
Kelsey
i picked this book up at a pretty low spot in my life. i was stuck knowing there was someone in my life, who whether i liked it or not, was going to be apart of my life forever. he'd wronged me multiple times, & hurt me beyond believe. after months of this feeling, i got pretty desperate after telling nick, "i hate him & don't ever see myself forgiving him." i found this book pretty dry. while i did find some helpful tricks to it, it wasn't anything i couldn't have learned if i'd just pi...more
Liz
A very challenging book to read on the extent of forgiveness we are called to. Some really thought provoking arguments. I definitely agree with a lot of what he writes and am challenged in a good way by it. It is a bit repetitive and a few things I struggled agreeing with. He doesn't dive deep enough into different types of situations and how they can't all be handled the same. Still, I found I struggled with this book because of how radical his call to forgiveness feels. But I can't deny in the...more
Lyndsey
Absolutely amazing, life changing read.
Scott
This book is a life changing book! I believe that if every Christian in this country were to read this book and take to heart the Biblical lessons contained in it, we would see a radically different church in America! It will challenge you and many times we don't want to be challenged. So if you are looking for a book to challenge you to a selfless lifestyle and are willing to look honestly within, this book is for you!
Shawn

What a great book on forgiveness! Incredibly inspiring, scriptural, and practical. Kendal's words clearly come out of his own painful and victorious experiences. He paints a scripturally sound and incredibly practical picture of forgiveness. Through credible, anecdotal, and scriptural evidence he calls us to release our anger and bitterness and experience true freedom in Christ through forgiveness.
Pam I.
A great study book at any time but especially for the Lenten season. Forgiveness is divine, but it must flow not only from God to self, but continue to flow from self to others. Many of us concentrate on forgiveness from God, but neglect the forgiveness of sins against us. Kendall encourages self examination of our unforgiveness, and provides guidance along a journey toward healing that spiritual wound.
Andrew Hildreth
This book was a huge eye opener! I never realized how much weight is caused by not forgiving and holding grudges, especially ones you don't even realize you're still holding on to. I came away away from this book with an entirely fresh and better outlook on things and people. This is a must read atleast once and recommended to reread once a year or so.

(Previously reviewed on March 20, 2010)
Mike
Important for everyone to read. We have all been wronged to some degree and this will help you understand some aspects of how to deal with that and ultimately how to forgive those that have wronged you and even how to forgive yourself for wronging others. This will be meaningful in everyone's life at some point along the way.
Deb
Aug 28, 2012 Deb rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Deb by: My Dr.
It's so hard to forgive! This book gives you the guidelines to do just that though. Even if you cannot mend the relationship, you can forgive. Forgiveness is for you, not for the other person. It cleanses your soul and let's you move on to be happy and healthy. Excellent resource along with the workbook.
Hanaan
This book makes an impact because it is written with such humility. It is a great reminder about what is important in life. Brings up new insights about the life of Joseph, and is written to be relevant to almost every situation. A very sweet book, which I didn't want to end. Unusual for a book on theology!
Elizabeth
Michele
Jul 05, 2012 Michele is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Powerful and necessary for all! Many torments that we think are from the devil because we are 'so anointed' and have such a great ;call on our life' truly stem from un-forgiveness in our hearts. Un-forgiveness towards ourselves, others and God. A must read...
Karen Painter
Absolutely awesome! If you have resentment or bitterness towards someone, then you haven't completely forgiven that person. This is awesome and a must read for all Christians! Please read my full review at http://christianlifelessons.blogspot.com
Amanda
This book was recommended by Pastor Shelley for anyone in need of deliverance. I totally agree!!! The title gives it away but I am learning as I turn the pages. I found a book to shut me up for a while...Just started reading 1-19-09
Holly
will totally change your world, your life and your relationships. I use principles out of this book daily and feel it has helped me to be a better person in ways. A must read book for anyone who believes they are a christian.
Gregory
Dec 29, 2013 Gregory rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who struggle with bitterness and resentment and long to live again.
Recommended to Gregory by: A friend from Men at the Cross ministry
In this book, Dr. Kendall teaches how we can experience freedom by learning to forgive. There is total forgiveness.
Anne Kinard
Though it makes a few good arguments for total forgiveness, It wasn't clear to me what the author's answer to how violence against others should be treated. The theological treatises lean toward orthodoxy. Wasn't my cup of tea!
Randy
Well written book that approaches human-to-human forgiveness from the theraputic angle (i.e., forgiving in order to escape negative emotions.) However, this view marginalizes forgiveness and trivalizes sin.
Wannie Michelmann
Easy to read - not so easy to do. Sometimes when I have issues or am stuck in forgiving others' trespasses I go to this book to read what is biblical to do. We all need reminders during our weakest moment.
Robin Clark
A sensational book! I learned so much about myself and other people, especially about why we act the way we act sometimes. This book helped me see shed light on many situations. An excellent read for anyone!
Michelle Griffith

Very helpful in pointing out the importance of forgiveness and not judging others!! Definitely will hold on to this book and would recommend it to anyone who holds bitterness in their heart!
Rick
I like the way Kendall writes and explains the ideas and concepts of forgiveness. This book has helped me greatly in understanding God's grace in my life. I would definitely recommend this book.
  • Surprised by the Power of the Spirit: Discovering How God Speaks and Heals Today
  • Windows of the Soul: Experiencing God in New Ways
  • The Root of the Righteous
  • Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • Changes That Heal: How to Understand the Past to Ensure a Healthier Future
  • Destined to Reign: The Secret to Effortless Success, Wholeness, and Victorious Living
  • A Testament of Devotion
  • The Sacrament of the Present Moment
  • The Prayer of the Lord
  • No Other gods: Confronting Our Modern Day Idols
  • True Spirituality: How to Live for Jesus Moment by Moment
  • Bold Love
  • The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development
  • Leaving Alexandria: A Memoir of Faith and Doubt
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Five Smooth Stones for Pastoral Work (The Pastoral series, #1)
  • Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World
God Meant It for Good: The Anointing: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow Holy Fire: A Balanced, Biblical Look at the Holy Spirit's Work in Our Lives Unashamed to Bear His Name: Embracing the Stigma of Being a Christian The Sensitivity of the Spirit