Start by marking “Mine All Mine” as Want to Read:
Mine All Mine

Mine All Mine

A dazzling comic and romantic heist story from the author of The Frog King and Goodbye Lemon. Otto Starks is a ""pulse""-a highly specialized security guard who has hyperdeveloped senses and a nervous habit of popping tabs of cyanide. Otto was once a rising star but then he was rolled three times by the notorious Rat Burglar. Now, demoted and dangerously in debt to a loan ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Riverhead Books (first published August 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mine All Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine All Mine

Aug 03, 2008 Darrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chris, Erin
Shelves: literary-fiction
After having finished 3 of Adam Davies novels, one thing has remained consistent-- his prose is crisp and his characters while not always likable, are flawed enough to feel human and real-- like people who could exist.

Mine All Mine, while predictable at times, remains an enjoyable read. Otto Sparks despite his self-developed immunities to a wide array of pharmacological poisons, is still flawed enough to be believably human.

This is Davies first attempt at a suspense/crime caper style novel and w
Hmm. My first Adam Davies book. It seemed like chick-lit for guys. I don't know what I expected. Not quite this. There were some funny parts. There were some clever parts. I was even a little stressed out by this book which at the time I knew was wasted emotion. I even thought to myself sometimes "Why am I reading this book?"

Why indeed? The story premise sounded interesting - a top-notch security guard (and I mean, really top-notch) is bested by the Rat Burgler. The Rat Burgler steals whatever o
Johnny Story
Oct 08, 2008 Johnny Story rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Perrotta, Hornby, and Moore fans, people who like heists
Adam Davies is a humorous author, presenting funny protagonists like Otta Starks, a pulse, guardian of fine art. He's the forgettable henchman Tom Cruise incapacitates in those Mission Impossible movies. So what is the Stark's problem? Well, he has two. Once a rising star the Rat Burglar has rolled him four consecutive times, making him the key suspect. Also, he can't seem to propose to his girlfriend, Charlie, who believes he's a baseball scout for the Mets.

Though Davies tries too hard to flex
Miramira Endevall
Glen Tickle
Adam Davies is one of my favorite writers. I'd put The Frog King up there with Catcher and Gatsby, and I loved the story in Mine All Mine, but loathed the footnotes. If I didn't love Frog King and Goodbye Lemon so much I'd have stopped reading this after the first few pages when I realized the footnotes are throughout.

It isn't that I hate all footnotes just most of the ones in this book.(1) And there were too many. It was like listening to a CD and having it skip through every song, but you lov
Jun 15, 2010 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really not his best attempt. Kind of an interesting concept: a high profile security guard versus an elite art thief that only seems to pick on him. Plot was a bit thin however. I guessed the identity of the "villain" within about 50 pages and was only really surprised by the unnecessary inclusion of contemporary political critique (ie. the Iraq war). It's funny how so many contemporary authors feel the need to overtly contemporize their books, dropping things like iPods and the present politica ...more
Jul 05, 2012 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up on a whim at the library, because the cover looked interesting, and I really enjoyed it, well almost. The book follows Otto Starks, who is a pulse. A pulse is someone with extraordinarily sensitive senses, who sits with valuable goods. If the goods are threatened, the pulse hits the alarm. The detail that Davies gives to the life of a pulse is really impressive and enjoyable, definitely not overly technical. Anyway, back to Otto. Otto has recently been victimized by the Rat Bur ...more
Apr 20, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lucky find! I only picked this book up at the library to try to hide the "How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire" I was picking up for my wife.
It took a few chapters for me to get into this book. It's written that quasi-flippant first-person voice that I don't enjoy, but I'm glad I stuck with it
Adam Davies seems like he's having a fun time with the English language while he's telling his story.
The main character's profession and talents were interesting and he was lovable all the way through
Nov 30, 2008 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking for a fun, mindless read
this book felt like one of those summer, popcorn, action-packed movies that we all know won't win any oscars but we still watch for the enjoyment factor. it's a relatively simple read with a few plot twists (albeit predictable) that'll keep the reader interested. 'mine all mine' is entertaining without too much substance.
Feb 14, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mine All Mine is an excellent novel. It is a smart, GRE word toting, guy's Stephen Plum. Like the fru-fru bounty hunter from Jersey, Otto Starks, a security guard with extra sensory perception (not the psychic kind, just the more than average of the regular senses like smell and sight kind), is both especially equip for the criminal underworld and woefully un-prepared for it. He protects priceless pieces of art. And he was very good at it until the Rat Burglar began targeting items Otto was pro ...more
Apr 10, 2015 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: like-it
Brett Starr
Apr 16, 2010 Brett Starr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, not great comedy / action / love story novel!

"Mine All Mine" starts out as a smart comedy, then turns into a full blown action novel throughout the second half of the book.

This book is not a mystery, look at the front cover, read about 10 pages into the book and you will already know who the "Rat Burglar" is. If your looking for a classic, hard to figure out "who done it", this definitely isn't it! But I get the feeling Adam Davies did that purposely, the point is to enjoy the story itse
Nov 30, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Adam Davies. How I love you Adam Davies. You are easy and interesting and use fantastic words and go down my gullet like a part of me I didn't know I was missing. You are specially tuned to my sweet spot of tone, and I will read anything you write and it appears just really, really like it. Three for three and counting.

Mine All Mine is in ways a break from the previous two, in that it is a whodunnit thrillery type thing. And yet it is once again set in NY with a 20somethingish male protagonis
Mar 03, 2011 Zach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has the plot and the pace of a Hollywood thriller, with the prose of an East Coast, smartassier, 21st Century Chandler. It's interesting to see this plot (which is similar to what you might find in a bestselling thriller) executed with masterful language. Davies might be one of those crossover writers whose authorship is matched by his sense of entertainment. He reminds me some of Jonathan Lethem (probably because I knew to think of this comparison beforehand), particularly Motherless Brookly ...more
Daniel Brown
Nov 25, 2015 Daniel Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, the story, the main characters and all of the twists and surprises that took place. I was torn on all of the footnotes though - they were interesting and relevant, but at the same time, a bit of a distraction. I started to ignore them eventually since it got in the way of the flow of the story. I am already planning on reading more of Davies' books.
Heather Shugarman
I have never read a "mystery" type book before, and this one was young and hip enough for me to severely enjoy! (hip? now i like hip books?)

Parts of the mystery were a bit predictable, but a bunch of it was shocking as it unfolded - the story was strong, and even the plot points I figured out before the author unfolded them were done so well I didn't mind.

Also - just read this on Wiki, and got rather excited: "Adam Davies first appeared in print with the The Frog King in 2002, and followed wit
Feb 03, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Mine all Mine" is the third novel by Adam Davies, a fellow professor and sometimes drinking buddy of mine. The book is a pleasure, not for its characters (who are interesting, but not well developed) or its plot (which is carefully developed and enjoyable, but somewhat predictable), but for Davies' masterful command of the sentence. Each one is a nicely wrapped package that, when opened, reveals a surprisingly appropriate gift. Sometimes that gift is just a good laugh, but other times (and such ...more
Stephen Dorneman
Three stars might be a little generous, but includes bonus points for effort. Davies has written a romantic comedy action thriller about an implausible version of our world, where some people ("pulses") have incredibly powerful senses -- but where those abilities are used as, basically, expensive museum guards. One of whom is crossed and double-crossed and falls in love with (spoiler alert, but you would have guessed it way early anyway) a professor who turns out to be a master art thief. But th ...more
Fun but very predictable story of a hapless security guard who involved in a art theft ring that may or may not involve his girlfriend and best friend. Although there are no surprises, it's fairly amusing to see everything play out. Particularly amusing is the lead character's heightened senses which make him supposedly so good at his job and his habit of ingesting various poisons and chemicals to develop tolerance.
Apr 06, 2009 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adam Davies' two previous books, The Frog King and Goodbye Lemon, are two of my all-time favorites. This was not as good. It was just completely different--instead of being a heartfelt coming of age type book, it was a thriller/caper type book. It was still good, but not as good as a thriller could be. I guessed the identity of the big criminal near the beginning, and I am not good at guessing.
Gregory Dilcox
Jun 13, 2011 Gregory Dilcox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly entertaining read, I'd been meaning to pick up something by Adam Davies for a couple of years, glad I finally did. Otto was a lovable character, surrounded by a fun cast. The mystery wasn't much of a mystery, but that wasn't really the point. This isn't going to be a novel for everyone, but I think those that like it will really like it.
Apr 24, 2011 Allison rated it liked it
I had a bit of trouble getting into this book, but I think it had less to do with the book and more to do with stuff that was happening in my own life. Once I got into it, it was a really quick read with the same delightful play with language that I've come to expect from Davies. I found the plot a bit predictable, but still enjoyable.
Xavier Guillaume
Feb 10, 2012 Xavier Guillaume rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like to laugh
Absolutely hilarious! I commend all high-security officers because of it. And I don't see how the revealing of the identity of the rat thief was supposed to be a surprise. If you look at the cover art of the book, its immediately apparent who the thief is. Shame on the cover designers.
Apr 25, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Otto Sparks' life is good- his job, his girl, and his best friend. The the Rat Burglar strikes and everything spirals out of control.

This book has many cringe-inducing moments. I had to put it down and walk away. But Adam Davies gift is the ability to always bring me back
Mar 27, 2009 Shemsi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, adventure
I'm not sure why this book wasn't good. I think it had something to do with all the unnecessarily big words the character used. It made him less sympathetic. The story itself was good and the idea was novel, but it just wasn't that likable.
Eric Smith
Jan 03, 2011 Eric Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved everything about this wild romantic comedy / comedic thriller. Davies really is a master of crafting bizarre story lines that feel so utterly plausible. Another brilliant read from a critically underrated talent. Get on this one.
Oct 17, 2011 Elise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why did I read this book? Some random person probably on NPR recommended it. It wasn't terrible, just mediocre. Predictable in certain ways with an improbable and uninteresting love story at the center. Just kind of a yawn.
Meh. Saw the twist coming before I finished the first chapter--and I'm not normally very good at spotting twists. It wasn't terrible, but it felt like he was borrowing from a bunch of other, superior books.
Sep 03, 2008 Jillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. I thought it was much better than The Frog King which was slightly disappointing. I loved all the characters...even the ones who I ended up hating in the end. It was really fun and hard to put down.
Oct 29, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the way I like fiction: irreverent, a-typical, and sharp. The characters should be charming but mildly unlikeable. Adam does not disappoint. Love this book (although not as much as The Frog King).
  • Hyper-Chondriac: One Man's Quest to Hurry Up and Calm Down
  • The Unprofessionals
  • Truelove & Homegrown Tomatoes
  • The Perfect Fit: Fat-Free Dreams Just Don't Taste the Same
  • Der Trakt
  • The Learners
  • Angry Arthur (Sunburst Book)
  • The Bone Parade
  • The Serpent and the Scorpion
  • Elaine's Circle: A Teacher, a Student, a Classroom, and One Unforgettable Year
  • Show of Hands
  • Mick Foley's Christmas Chaos
  • The Traitor's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #16)
  • A Mourning Wedding (Daisy Dalrymple, #13)
  • The Servants
  • Angriff auf die Freiheit: Sicherheitswahn, Überwachungsstaat und der Abbau bürgerlicher Rechte
  • A Secret Word: A Novel
  • Chicago Blues
Adam Davies was born in Louisville, KY. He is the author of three novels: The Frog King, soon to be a major motion picture starring Joseph Godron-Levitt, with a script by Bret Easton Ellis; Goodbye Lemon, a family drama; and Mine All Mine, which was purchased for film with the author to write the screenplay. Adam's non-fiction has appeared in the New York Times and he has made many appearances on ...more
More about Adam Davies...