Start by marking “Mountain Born” as Want to Read:
Mountain Born

Mountain Born (Mountain Born #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  719 ratings  ·  47 reviews
There were boulders at the top and he picked his way carefully among them. Suddenly he stopped still, gripping a rock and flattening himself against it. Not ten paces from him was a gray wolf, and around her four well-grown cubs were playing--prettily, if anything that spelt such horror could be pretty. His hands felt like ice on the rock.

Wolves, weather, a black lamb, a t

Published September 1st 1994 by JourneyForth (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain Born

Mountain Born by Elizabeth YatesThe Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJongLittle Pear by Eleanor Frances LattimoreMrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonaldFavorite Poems of Childhood by Philip Smith
Sonlight Core B Read Alouds
1st out of 17 books — 4 voters
Switch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceArtemis Fowl by Eoin ColferThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark TwainThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainEnder's Game by Orson Scott Card
Best Books For and About Boys
66th out of 191 books — 89 voters

More lists with this book...

I finished reading this to my kids today. I cried.
Paul
This book is such a simple one, yet such a profound one. In a day and age when life is fast-paced and so are the best-selling books of the day, it is nice to return to a book that is "quiet," as one reviewer noted. I loved this book for many more reasons though. This book brings me back to time spent on various farms (in Wisconsin, in Florida, in Indiana, as a child, as a married man, as a young father, and as an older father). This story describes a boy growing to be a responsible young man as ...more
Josiah
This is an extraordinary story, set in the sparsely populated mountains, of growing up and getting to know oneself and of real love for family and those people we would be lucky enough to call true friends. I can very much see how this was given a Newbery Honor citation in 1944, though it was certainly bad luck for Mountain Born to have been published contemporaneously with the classic "Johnny Tremain".
I highly recommend this lovely, tender story to anyone who likes books that are infused with
Katrina Lantz
I absolutely adored this simple, beautiful story. I read it as a bedtime story to my little boys who will never experience being a shepherd firsthand but, thanks to this book, received important life lessons all shepherds must learn. Most of the book is religiously neutral, but there's a part in the middle when the strong but silent Benj talks about the only book his family had growing up. It's very sweet and talks about the sheep and shepherds in the Bible in such simple terms. I was touched. I ...more
Acarrawa
I liked this very much! Very descriptive and conservative. Includes allusions to and quotations from Scripture. It does end rather abruptly, leaving one with several questions. Well-deserving of the Newberry Honor it received.
Linda Lipko
This gentle story of a boy, a lamb, love and loss, is a 1944 Newbery honor book. It is a light, delightful read.
Trace
I had to keep reminding Luke that he had started this book.... so I was surprised that he told me he gave it a 4 star rating. I'm happy he enjoyed it. The writing is beautiful and rich and there were so many little nuggets of wisdom nestled within its pages - wisdom that a momma is always happy to have her son reading. Here are a couple of examples:

" There are many things in the world. If we care for them all a little we won't feel the hurt too much when we part with one."

" A man must have a ca
Danielle
A truly beautiful book, and a tear jerker for any mom with young sons.
Ginger
Another read-aloud with the kids. A precious story about a boy and his pet lamb/cosset. Even though the main character was a boy, my daughter loved this story (maybe because she is an animal lover). Also, the story brings to life the idea of Jesus as our Shepard (especially for "city" kids that have little to no knowledge about living on a farm and tending animals). Again, it was my daughter that put the two thoughts together and commented on it. A good book to read together as a family.
Bryan Stevenson
I loved The Journeyman by Elizabeth Yates, so I was really looking forward to Mountain Born. I think it was written for a younger audience. It doesn't have the conflict and drama that it needs to sustain interest. Yates' writing style is still eloquent and poetic. I love the allegorical phrasing, and the depiction of farm life from a young child's perspective. It had a great beginning and a great ending, which definitely made up for a slower middle. It is a good, quick, and clean read.
Melanie
This book was short, (only 106 pages) but also really slow moving. It did illustrate the circle of life, and it had a good ending. My 6 year old was very bored. My 8 year old was able to follow the story and discuss it afterwards, but it was not a favorite.
Linda
As one of our read aloud books for homeschool, the children & I all loved this book. The kids kept asking, "Is this a true story?"
Laura Grace
Sweet, old fashioned coming-of-age story about a boy born into a sheep-keeping family: the lessons he learns, especially from the sage farmhand Benj, are thought provoking. My kids are enjoying this, even with the quaint language. Great vocabulary-expander for kids.
Debbie
I read this as a possibility for the second grade class that I read to on Fridays. Since I am reading Where the Red Fern Grows to them now, I will not read this one. This book is written for younger readers to read alone rather than one to stretch their listening and comprehension skills. Oh, there are ideas that I would expand upon if I were reading this to my own children, but not others. Also, there is enough death in the book I am currently reading to them, the next book needs to be a little ...more
Natalie Fullmer
Loved this book! It was our favorite this year as we always love animal stories.
Mary Elizabeth
CS Lewis said that, "a children's story which is only enjoyed by children is a bad children's story." He was right. Mountain Born is beautiful, and I perfectly enjoyed it. *wink*
Allyson
I loved this book. A wonderful story, beautifully written.
Penny Burkeen
Such a sweet, sweet book. I read it to my children.
I have now read this four times, and still love it!
Archy
This book is part biography of a sheep and part biography of a boy growing up into a good, kind young man as he takes care of sheep. The story is lyrical and calming. The conflict is mostly internal and resolved (except perhaps the death of the sheep-protagonist of ripe, old age at the end). You will inadvertently learn a lot about sheep and some about wool. I think this book gives a lot of insight into all the biblical references to God as our shepherd. Unlike many more modern Newberry Honor bo ...more
Lori
This is a beautifully written book that I had never heard of. A Newberry Honor book from the 40's, it was on my daughter's read aloud list. It is a wonderful story! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I learned a lot about shepherding, which I believe was valuable in understanding better the illustration of Christ as a shepherd. The boy's coming of age story on a farm, and the family who guides him, and the sheep he loves was written in such lovely language that you rarely see. Well worth reading no matter ...more
Rebecca
A simple story of a little boy on a sheepfarm. A story of life and death and growing up. Small Christian references. Cried at the end.
Jean
Read this to my kids before bed. A sweet wholesome story about a time when things were simpler in a way - lives revolving around family, raising sheep, spinning of the wool sowing and harvesting. When boys and girls were taught responsibility at a young age. Wonderful symbolism of the roles we play as sheep, our struggles and weaknesses and the role of Christ as our shepherd, his protection and strength. Kids and I enjoyed it!
Marisa
Such a soft and sweet read of a life that was once the standard. The life of a boy and a love for his cosset lamb. It was the perfect time for us in our family to read this aloud at bed time. The lesson on the circle of life and how life goes on written in such a gentle voice. Not a dry eye in our house at book end but oh so worth it.
Larissa
My son enjoyed this book, but the writing style is poor for reading aloud. I got confused just listening to the words coming out of my mouth. I wish she would have written in a more straight forward manner, but the story was solid and was certainly a boy pleasing book! Especially the part with the wolves, as my son said!
Ruth
This is a lovely book to read to young boys 5yr-8 ish. That's my guess. The story is about a young boy becoming a man as he learns what the job of a shepherd requires. Wholesome read that encourages facing the joys and disappointments that come along in life.
Matthew
I read this aloud to Rachel and William at bedtime. There is something that is very enjoyable about a boy growing up and coming of age with his pet. I have read several books that were similar to this one, but I never tire of them.
Amy Smith
This is one of my favorite books ever. I read it aloud to my kids. It is so beautifully written that speaking it out loud felt sacred. This is a beautiful picture of a boy growing up in a simple life of deep faith.
Jim
v. quiet book about a family of sheephearders in the western US during the 1800s. reminded me of Sarah, Plain and Tall in feel. much quoting from the twenty-third psalm. deservedly selected as a Newbery Honor.
  • Little Pear
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • Swift Rivers
  • Sugaring Time
  • Red Sails to Capri
  • All Sail Set: A Romance of the Flying Cloud
  • Li Lun, Lad of Courage
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • When Shlemiel Went to Warsaw and Other Stories
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • The Loner
  • The Hidden Treasure of Glaston
  • Kildee House
  • The Avion My Uncle Flew
  • Like Jake and Me
  • The Apple and the Arrow
  • Bright Island
  • The Corn Grows Ripe
Elizabeth Yates, author of over forty books for children, was born in New York State on December 6th, 1905. Determined to be an author, she moved to New York City to launch her career. She worked a variety of jobs including reviewing book, writing short stories, and doing research. She moved to England with her husband and wrote her first book, High Holiday, based on her travels in Switzerland wit ...more
More about Elizabeth Yates...
Amos Fortune, Free Man The Journeyman Sarah Whitcher's Story Carolina's Courage Hue & Cry

“Martha looked at her son. So this was the beginning of growing up. This was where the road they had been traveling together first parted.” 0 likes