Start by marking “Down Around Midnight: A Memoir of Crash and Survival” as Want to Read:
Down Around Midnight: A Memoir of Crash and Survival

Down Around Midnight: A Memoir of Crash and Survival

2.92 of 5 stars 2.92  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Around midnight on June 17th, 1979, Air New England flight 248 crashed into the woods near Yarmouth on Cape Cod. En route to Hyannis, the plane came down just two and a half miles off course, but it wasn't until one of the crash's survivors made her way to the airport that the airline employees and passengers' loved ones alike found out happened to the plane. The pilot was ...more
Published June 11th 2009 by Penguin Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Down Around Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down Around Midnight

Trish
The story itself is interesting, but the telling of it is severely lacking. The writing was disjointed, with the author setting off on more psychological tangents than I could handle. I skimmed the second half, thinking at some point I'd get back into it, but never did. It was a completely unsatisfying read. The whole book, I kept thinking, "This guy wrote a bestseller? Really?"
Margaret
Not because my cousin wrote this but the fact that I was in europe the whole summer when it the plane crash happened and never heard about it til we were back in touch after 20 yrs..he just visited me and gave me his book and I couldn't put it down..it is a compelling account of a plane crash that he survived, along with 8 others..gripping!!!

Angela Camden
Nov 09, 2010 Angela Camden rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes really thorough survival stories
Recommended to Angela by: the Seattle Times
The author's intention was to follow take advantage of the motivation that drew him and express all of his emotions and findings about the crash. And that he did.
I was bored of reading every thought that came across his mind. After all of his interviewing and research over twenty years, I would have liked to know why the plane actually crashed. We only know as much that the crash may have been intentional by the pilot.

However, I did find some pages interesting, whether true or not. Physics of th
Pam ☼Ask Me About FrankenKnee☼ Tee
Wow. You would think this book would be interesting. It's about a terrible crash that came close to killing everyone onboard. There's a plane screaming to a halt in a woods cloaked with dense fog and no moon. The author, Robert Sabbag, has his back broken as the seat belt he wore stayed buckled, but the seat itself was thrown free of it's connections to the fuselage. He and the other injured survivors stagger out into the black night, doused with aviation fuel....

These events were ultimately so
Catherine
Sabbag was aboard a small plane going from New York to Cape Cod in 1979 when the plane crashed into the woods. The author explores the event and reflects on his personal experiences (both physical and psychological) in the aftermath along with four other passengers onboard that night. (There were eight passengers and two crewmembers onboard in total.)

Sabbag's interviews with his fellow passengers were inconsequential and superficial for the most part. The disjointed assemblage of the interviews
Maureen M
I have flown over Cape Cod Bay in a little plane so I was primed for this book. But Sabbag's revisiting of his 1979 crash turned out to be a lot less interesting than I expected. The writer's recreation of the accident and his encounters with a couple of the key passengers were interesting, as was his finding of how exhausted the pilot was. But the story loses interest with each added player, maybe betraying that the writer was losing the energy for this research.
Sandy
This book turned out to be disappointing. I thought this would be an interesting book about a plane crash but it was more about what happened afterwards as the author who was on the plane tries to connect with the other passengers to see how they are doing years after which did not turn out to be very interesting. The author spent a lot of time jumping around in the story and it did not have a good flow.
Clint
Was hoping for more of a narrative read of the details of the crash, but this is a more introspective look at how the plane crash affected and changed the author as he moved forward. He attempted to find the other survivors from the relatively few aboard the small plane and the rescuers and met with interestingly mixed results. It's almost like a book he wrote for himself.
Adrian
Sabbag was a survivor of the crash of Flight 248 Air New England in June 1979 along with several other people. Thirty years after the crash which took place in dense forest on Cape Cod he decides to piece together what happened by tracking down survivors. He makes contact with most of them. Information on how they coped with the aftermath is fascinating enough- they all suffered from one or more of depression, anger, lack of confidence and survivor guilt though revelations on how it changed thei ...more
Monica
Jun 19, 2009 Monica marked it as maybe-someday  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Monica by: Dianne
Geoffrey Jennings, an independent bookseller at Rainy Day Books in Fairway, Kan., gushed about “Down Around Midnight” by Robert Sabbag, a memoir about a plane crash that he survived 30 years ago, and its aftermath. “I am abrasive and jaded and I have read lots of things,” Jennings said on the floor of the exhibition hall. “I was reading the book at night and my wife came down and I said ‘there is nothing you could say or do — in fact you could not even pay me — to stop reading this book.’”

NY Tim
Lydia
Two Star (my stars aren't showing up right so I'm including that info here...)

Anyways, I usually find books that talk about the unimaginable (plane wrecks, animal attacks, etc..) things people have had to survive very interesting as it shows the strength of human character. But I was a bit disappointed in this one. There were a few quotes that I liked from the book...but otherwise the author just seemed to jump around too much for me.
Steven
In 1979 there was a plane crash in the woods of Cape Cod. Sabbag was on that plane and 30 years later researches and writes about how that crash affected his own life and of some of the other survivors. In being very careful not to intrude or inflict pain on the others, the book ends up being mostly about him, defying the early promise of the book. A great premise, but a milquetoast result.
Judy
Airplane crash in 1979 into the woods of Cape Cod. I'm always drawn to books about local happenings. It was mildly interesting. You always try to imagine how a crash would feel. Of course the author survived to describe that and the feelings involved afterward. He also interviewed fellow passengers in order to record their perception of what happened that night in the dark.
The author looks back to a plane accident he was in at Cape Cold, where the pilot died, but everyone else survives. He decides to contact a lot of the other people on the plane and examines how the accident affected their lives. They were in the forest for a few hours and while it was an awful experience for them it wasn't as if they had to live through a long ordeal.
♥ Marlene♥
Disappointment. I thought this would be an interesting book about a plain crash but it was more about what happened after. (He tried to find some survivors 20 years later) which could be very interesting but it wasn't. probably because he jumped from one thing to another. Some stuff was very detailed which i did not care for. Skimmed the second part.
Sandy
Just finished reading this...It reminded me a bit of "the Perfect Storm" by Sebastian Junger. It is also written by a reporter, Robert Sabbag who writes for "Rolling Stone" magazine. He tells a good story and also explains issues related to the crash that happened in 1979
Topher
A non-fiction writer who survived a plane crash in 1979 goes back to re-examine it, and figure out what happened to him and the other survivors as a result. Did they change? What were the long term effects? Etc....
Jenifer
I am usually not a memoir reader because I find that most memoirs are self serving, "well, I was a very remarkable child! Handsome, smart and funny."
This memoir actually told the story of the crash!
Marge
Living through a plane crash certainly would change ones life, but I didn't feel what the author felt - I never attached to anyones emotions that were shared. Maybe the story just wasn't there.
Sidney
I ended up skimming through this book. I think the author was more into himself and the fact that he'd written a previous best seller about drugs. I didn't care for it and wouldn't recommend it.
Sallie
The author of this book writes about his experience in a plane crash that happened about 25 years earlier. There is some interesting insight, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Amy
Very interesting! It reads like good fiction, but it's not -- it's a memoir by an author who also is a survivor of a plane crash that took place back in 1979. A gripping tale!
Wayne
Few details about the crash or the cause of it. More about the author who survived the accident and his susequent interaction wit the other survivors.
Heather
eh - my attention span is NIL right now. it was interesting but I just didn't care..... ;) and it was checked out so I had to turn it back in.
Amy
This was a true story; the author contacted or tried to contact the 7 other passengers on his plane who survived a crash in 1979.
Aldo 'Bear-Paw' Zillinghym
I saw Hunter S. Thompson's name on the back flap so I bought it..I wasn't dissapointed
Kama
If you survive an airplane crash, please don't write an entire book about it.
  • Nothing Left to Burn
  • Ice Blink: The Tragic Fate of Sir John Franklin's Lost Polar Expedition
  • Life Interrupted: The Unfinished Monologue
  • Don't Follow Me, I'm Lost: A Memoir of Hampshire College in the  Twilight of the '80s
  • Promised Land: Thirteen Books That Changed America
  • The Tall Book: A Celebration of Life from on High
  • Ghosts of Cape Sabine: The Harrowing True Story of the Greely Expedition
  • Yossarian Slept Here: When Joseph Heller Was Dad, the Apthorp Was Home, and Life Was a Catch-22
  • 101 Things You Thought You Knew About the Titanic . . . but Didn't!
  • River House
  • Tales from a Traveling Couch: Psychotherapist Revisits His Most Memorable Patients
  • The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors
  • The Human, the Orchid and the Octopus: Exploring and Conserving Our Natural World
  • Almost Everyone's Guide to Science
  • Redemption: A Story of Sisterhood, Survival, and Finding Freedom Behind Bars
  • F5: The Devastating Tornado Outbreak of 1974
  • Climbing High: A Woman's Account of Surviving the Everest Tragedy
  • Plenty Enough Suck to Go Around
Snowblind: A Brief Career in the Cocaine Trade Smokescreen Snowblind Loaded Too Tough to Die: Down and Dangerous with the U.S. Marshals