Start by marking “Beyond the Blonde” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Blonde

Beyond the Blonde

The Devil Wears Prada meets Steel Magnolias in this fictionalized account of the real-life rise of Kathleen Flynn-Hui, star of the hot Manhattan Salon AKS. Welcome to Jean-Luc, New Yorks hottest salon of the minute, where high above Madison Avenue, Georgia Watkinsstar coloristtends to the hair of socialites, actresses, models and moguls.Georgia wasnt born to the Manhattan ...more
Published September 21st 2005 by Grand Central Publishing (first published August 18th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Blonde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Blonde

Alice
Oct 06, 2009 Alice rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
Why do I keep reading this crap? Mildly diverting trashy chicklit. The worst part about this book was the constant moving between time periods. The main character has Farrah Fawcett hair in high school and dreams of visiting Studio 54, which would put it at about 1977-1979. Then, less than five years later, she is talking about botox (not approved for cosmetic use until 2002) and the new Marc Jacobs collection. I suppose MJ was making clothes in the mid-80s, but he's associated primarily with th ...more
Gayle
Jan 21, 2009 Gayle rated it liked it
Is there a genre called gossip lit? There should be. All you need to know is that author Kathleen Flynn-Hui is "the star colorist at Salon AKS, [and:] the wife of acclaimed stylist Kao Hui." Certainly her inside story of a small-town girl that becomes a top-flight colorist at a celebrity salon resonates with authenticity. But her deftly-penned sketches of the employees and the clientele make you wonder who she's really talking about.

The story line is not complicated: Georgia Watkins, daughter of
Christel Peeters
Feb 05, 2017 Christel Peeters rated it did not like it
I didn't like much about this book. A boring and annoying read.
PurplyCookie
Apr 13, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Young, witty, bitchy read of behind-the-scenes glamour as small-town girl Georgia Watkins climbs the ladder of hairdressing success in New York. I liked that the main focus wasn't finding love like many other chick lit books I've read before, but more of becoming a success no matter one's humble beginnings.

And of course, you can't beat the sharing of inner trade secrets by the author (a celebrity colorist herself of the well-known Salon AKS) of the habits and eccentrities of the coddled cliente
Leonel
Jan 10, 2014 Leonel rated it really liked it
At first, Kathleen Flynn Hui's Beyond The Blonde seems like a Devil-Wears-Prada for the hair color industry, but honestly, I didn't think there were any huge and scandalous revelations here. The main character, Georgia, is named "best colorist in New York City" and has an enviable character, but for me the strength of the book is in its good storytelling. Georgia comes from new Hampshire, where she grows up helping out at her mother's salon. Forsaking a college education, she instead goes to bea ...more
Deborah Wilson
Jan 17, 2014 Deborah Wilson rated it liked it
This is definitely a beach book. Fo a book that I paid two dollars for at a second hand book store, i was pleasantly surprised. It is not exactly enthralling, but is a pleasant read. On the plus side this book was easy to read chapter to chapter, without feeling as if you had to stop everything to keep reading.
The author did highlight the hair industry (admit it women, we are all vain) in a delightful and honest manner. There are enough character profiles to keep the plot from becoming stale. Es
Krystal
Feb 24, 2008 Krystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
This was an odd book for me. The beginning was so trite I almost gave up on it..it was painful in the way it followed formula. And then somthing strange happened. The middle of the book, when she's talking about the past, how she got "here", it was a great story, well written. I loved the middle and couldn't believe the same person wrote both parts. The we came to the end, and it reverted back to form, and I was annoyed. It was for the enjoyment I got out of the "middle" portion of the story tha ...more
Kourtney
Dec 14, 2008 Kourtney rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the writing style of this book. It was engaging and had me wanting to find out what happened next. The thing that keeps me from rating this tale any higher than three stars was that the "wanting to find out what happened next" was me waiting for the story to begin. Over what felt like 90% of the story is the backstory to how Georgia got to where she was when the book begins. The true story doesn't begin until the end. And while the backstory was interesting and was a page-turner ...more
Shannon Arehart
Aug 21, 2009 Shannon Arehart rated it really liked it
I know nothing of the glamorous and pampered lifestyle described in this book, but I really liked it. It was fluffy, it was funny, it kept me interested and amused. I would have liked more focus on Patrick. I know he wasn't a central character, but I really liked him and would have enjoyed a bit more on his character. However, the descriptions of all the NYC salon clients and the behind the scenes environment of the salon, as well as Georgia's story arc were enough to keep me wanting to hear mor ...more
Rhiannon
Apr 18, 2008 Rhiannon rated it really liked it
First, let me say that I am not a huge fan of the 'chick lit' genre. I sometimes pick one up when I just want a light, quick read. I just tend to be sorely let down. That was definitely not the case with this book! I really could not find anything that disappointed me in this book. The story was fun, it had depth, I was interested in the woman's life. While it is partially about her looking for/finding love, it is not the sole point of the story, nor is it the biggest part.
Anna
Dec 29, 2013 Anna rated it it was ok
There is no frenzy.It looked good, but it came to half the book started to bore me, or even fall asleep. I put it back and continue to let go, but I was waiting for the action to develop. Unfortunately, it is funny how it is written on the back of the book, sometimes he was a "joke" but very rarely. There were also a lot of swearing, which do not tolerate, and I think it's very well put a damper on my reading since then disgusted.
Elaine
Started off a little slow, a little boring...but then the pace picked up and the read became pleasurable. I've read only 1 of Sophie Kinsella's books and this book reminds me of her writing. The content was light (easy to read), engaging, and something refreshing for me since it offers an inside perspective of a hair salon business. And it's nice how the expected romance doesn't overpower the storyline. It's there, it's sweet, but it's not in-your-face.
~*Kim*~
Nov 11, 2012 ~*Kim*~ rated it really liked it
In this fun, light read, Georgia Watkins goes from middle of nowhere New Hampshire to colorist of the stars in the hottest salon in New York City. Not used to the over the topness of NYC, she finds herself holding the hand of one client while she highlights a single strip of hair and being asked by another to put highlights in her fur coat! The book is kept light and funny while Georgia stays down to earth just like her small town girl roots.
Andrea Ludwig
Aug 15, 2013 Andrea Ludwig rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get into this book, but near the end it moved me to tears. I could identify with the main character - her desire to do what is right, her appreciation for those who helped her get where she was.... I have a feeling much of this actually happened. If it wasn't real, it sure seemed real.
Hamda
May 14, 2014 Hamda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the 1st book that I read! And I remember loving it as a teen! I've read it again and I still love it! I love this book! I must admit that the title is what caught my attention and even if it sounds very girly, which it is, I still love it and it's the 1st book that made me laugh, cry and curious about what will happen next.
Krista Basilio
Apr 26, 2011 Krista Basilio rated it really liked it

Feb 24, 2008 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, march2008
The first half of this book appear plotless. It still held my attention, but I was really starting to wonder if there was any point. The last half was pretty standard formula chick lit (which isn't good or bad, I'm just saying). I liked this well enough though. It was a breezy read, and held my attention. Now the cover art...that was creepy and bizarre, but maybe that's just me.
Karen
Aug 05, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
This is a really fun story of the rise of an aspiring colorist at the uber-salon of the moment in Manhattan. The author, a star colorist in NYC, obviously knows that world well, and the details seemed accurate and entertaining. I especially loved her breakdown of the salon habits of the women of different NY/NJ neighborhoods. A good read for the pool!
Jody
Mar 28, 2016 Jody rated it it was ok
This book was left at a motel I stayed in, and it was a fast, simple read, perfect for a bit of light reading before bed after a long day of socializing. Very "chick lit", but not in a juicy way, you could see the ending a mile off. Not bad for chick lit, but very one dimensional.
Heila
Mar 16, 2015 Heila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, women-s, art
I really enjoyed this memoir by a famous New York haircolorist. It's a love story as well between she and her husband, who is also in the hair biz. Written like chick lit. [Okay, it's a 'fictionalized account of her life' - whatev - I found it to be an entertaining peek into an unfamiliar world.]
Rem
Oct 01, 2010 Rem rated it it was amazing
This books is absolutely hilarious. If you liked 'Dumping Billy' you would probably love this. Both of them are definitiely in the "chick lit" category. But I thouroughly enjoyed them. I would read it again if I still had it.
Tessa
Sep 12, 2012 Tessa rated it really liked it
As a hairstylist myself, I found this book to be hilarious. Every details about the high end clientele was right on point. It can be a little slow in some areas, but over all it is a fun read. I would definitley reccommend to anyone who works in the service industry. Especially hair colorists!
Karla
Mar 02, 2008 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pasatiempo
Novela contemporanea muy recomendable para pasar un buen rato.
Daphne Klemme
Mar 10, 2009 Daphne Klemme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I was pleasantly surprised that the story was more than what the title intimated it would be. A really fun read.
Jessica
Aug 10, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: really-fun-reads
I liked this book because I felt like I was reading a juicy tabloid- but with a story and plot. Good enough for a summer beach read!
Nancy
Aug 29, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pamlin
Jan 12, 2009 Pamlin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-books
Fantastic descriptions and a good pace, without too much generic chick-lit idiocity. Makes you fall into the book's world within a page or two. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.
Chris Ritchey
Aug 27, 2007 Chris Ritchey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all my friends
Anyone who has ever worked in a hair salon in NYC or has a friend in a hair salon in NYC or has been to a hair salon in NYC needs to read this book. Funny easy read
Jackie Simons
Read 11/05
Cris Mtz
Divertido chicklit que siempre esperé que disney hiciera la película, pues había escuchado que la casa del ratón había adquirido los derechos, pero nunca se desarrolló el proyecto.
  • The Book of Q
  • The Evil Genius
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • The Burrowers Beneath
  • Aranmanoth
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Daughter of God
  • Silver (Ogmios Team Adventure #1)
  • The Midden
  • The Thieves Of Heaven
  • L'uomo di Londra
  • The Midnight Love Feast
  • El Cielo De Los Leones
  • No mires debajo de la cama
  • The Tower of Babel
  • Gli uccelli di Bangkok
  • Model Student: A Tale of Co-eds and Cover Girls
  • Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan, #6)

“Let me explain: There are all sorts of reasons why women pick one colorist over another. Some will go to you if you have the same kind of dog or because they like the way you look. Some will only go to a man, because they want to feel a man’s hands on them. Then, of course, you have the editorial mongrels, who will go only to whoever is in this month’s Elle or Allure. But no matter what brings them to you in the first place, they’ll drop you cold if you’re not a good colorist. Which means no mistakes. Not ever. Brain surgeons are allowed more mistakes than hair colorists. Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying that what I do is brain surgery or in any way important. Between you and me, it’s just hair. But a certain kind of woman cares about her hair. A lot.” 1 likes