Start by marking “Living Mission: The Vision and Voices of New Friars” as Want to Read:
Living Mission: The Vision and Voices of New Friars

Living Mission: The Vision and Voices of New Friars

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  6 reviews
There is a new trend afoot, one that goes against the prevailing Western model, influenced by the values and principles of international commerce. Presented here are five "signs of life," showcased by this network of movements best referred to as "new friars." God's kingdom in the hands of the people of God, the contributors to this book show us, is first and foremost inca ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Living Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Mission

Daniel
I will be the first to admit I struggle with being objective in rating this book, because I respect the writers so much and believe in what they believe.

That said, I do think that this book well describes the core, and biblical, values of the new apostolic movements amongst the urban poor. It describes (through western eyes) a movement that is small but growing, multi-national, and reflective of the new missions movement of from every country to every country.

Different leaders of different org
Dave McNeely
While Bessenecker and the contributors distnguish between "new friars" and "new monastics," this volume would make an excellent companion parallel to "12 Marks of New Monasticism."
Scott Hayden
It's almost more a "report from the field" as much as it is an analysis of a movement. The marks of this "new friar" mission movement as some call it are incarnational, missional, marginal, devotional, communal. Chapter 3 helped me see the various roles people come FROM in order to live among marginal people: remainers, relocators, and returners. Each has their contributing strengths to offer.

I liked the emphasis on "story" in chapter 4. Only by locating ourselves in God's greater story can we f
Liz
Living Mission shares stories from leaders of organizations that are part of the New Friars movement, a modern missions movement seeking to minister among the urban poor in slums worldwide.

As a worker in the New Friars movement, I am obviously in agreement with the perspectives offered in the book. Instead of a theological justification of the New Friars movement, Living Mission tells stories, looks at Scripture, and evaluates the movement of people from rural areas to the city. Each organizatio
Jonathan
I'm glad this book was written, because it represents a truly collaborative effort by a diverse group of people from different organizations to explain what really brings them together in the "New Friars" movement. Still, I want to read it again because I don't think I got everything I could have out of it the first time.
Emily
Dec 28, 2011 Emily added it
Great follow-up to "The New Friars." Helpful to have chapters written by different practitioners. Needs to go back on my to-read shelf since I think it deserves a re-reading to fully appreciate and mull on what the authors share.
Laura Sorrells
Laura Sorrells marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Johnny Mettlach
Johnny Mettlach marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Hannah Feger
Hannah Feger marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sophy
Sophy marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Harley
Harley marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Albert Hong
Albert Hong marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
writer...
writer... marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Gary Phillips
Gary Phillips marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Jordan Palser
Jordan Palser marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The New Friars: The Emerging Movement Serving the World's Poor How to Inherit the Earth: Submitting Ourselves to a Servant Savior

“The Western church needs to regain its confidence in the role of outsiders, relocators who come in humility and grace to learn first and then to offer a different perspective.” 1 likes