Start by marking “The Pirate and the Pagan” as Want to Read:
The Pirate and the Pagan

The Pirate and the Pagan

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,360 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Wild as a pagan goddess, Lady Summer galloped her stallion along the Cornish coast.She had dabbled in the smuggler's game to save her family estate, but a wealthy marriage would better serve her purpose now.Lord Ruark Helford seemed the answer to her reckless prayers.But as his hot, hungry kisses drew her toward deception and irresistible acts of love, she had to hesitate. ...more
Published November 1st 1990 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate and the Pagan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate and the Pagan

Gentle Rogue by Johanna LindseyRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanCaptive of My Desires by Johanna LindseyBound by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanThe Gift by Julie Garwood
Historical Pirate Romance Books
11th out of 164 books — 364 voters
Bound by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanThe Pirate Lord by Sabrina JeffriesThe Windflower by Laura LondonRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanThe Hawk by Monica McCarty
Pirate/Swashbucking Romance
7th out of 139 books — 183 voters

More lists with this book...

Regan Walker
Enthralling, Complex Story of Love and Deception—a Pirate Romance to treasure—a Keeper!

Winner of the Romantic Times Award for Best English Historical Romance in 1990, this is a wonderfully complex tale of deception and love set in 17th century England in the Restoration period when Charles II ruled England.

Lady Summer St. Catherine is an innocent, but not very lady like, young woman raised on the Cornish coast with her younger brother, Spencer (nicknamed Spider). With their mother dead and thei
Elis Madison

This is my favorite, so far, of Henley's early books, tho I did think the hero was a little serious spoiler alert(view spoiler)

Our heroine here is Lady Summer (Cat) St. Catherine. She and her younger brother Spencer (Sp
Lorelle
Nov 06, 2012 Lorelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bodice Ripper lovers
You got to love the I love you, I hate You Bodice Rippers of the past.. Add some Pirate love to the mix and you have a recipe for a fun and sometimes ridiculous read. This is one of the better Pirate loving books I have read. It was my first Virginia Henley book and I loved it.
Amy
BEST BOOK EVER!
I've read hundreds and 5 stars isn't enough to rate this one.
Lots of romance, lots of heartache, a full plot that keeps you craving for more. But what I liked the most about this story was that it did not go
From the climatic conflict to blissful happiness in the span of 2 chapters. Instead the ending is very well rounded.
Thank you Virginia Henley!!!
Netha
novel2 VH mengingatkanku pada novel2 tante JL walo cowoqnya sih sadisan di VH & ceweq2 di VH tuh aduh too fragile too delicate pdhl cowoq2nya tuh tipe2 big bad barbarian super duper macho alpha male.

buku ini bercerita ttg Lady Summer or Cat & her young brother, spencer, yg hidup dalam hidup serba pas2an di desa.
hal itu membuatnya ke london tinggal bersama bibinya.
summer berniat mencari suami kaya yg bisa merubah hidupnya serta spencer.

Lord Ruark Helford langsung tertarik pd Cat.
Ruark adl
Emily
Just finished this little gem and I have to say I liked it. I had never read Virginia Henley before but I'm glad I discovered her. This is the classic love/hate/love/hate taken to the extreme. The emotions were all over the place. But in a hilariously entertaining way. Henley is a very good writer and I especially loved the research she put into the Court of Charless II and the history, clothing, etc.

Maybe I'm dense but I did not see the twist with Ruark's identity coming. Kinda felt cheated wi
M
Davina
I really appreciated the Restoration England setting in an age of wall to wall boring regency romance. There so needs to be more restoration romance, I would be totally here for that. Charles II was a character in this and I actually enjoyed him slightly more than the main couple who's big misunderstandings drove me nuts after a while. On the whole I enjoyed it.
Valerie Lane
Best love story ever! Love the characters and the drama. Made me laugh and cry. I would read this book over and over again. Highly recommend this book to avid Romance readers.
Elle Rito
I really wanted to give this 2 stars since I think that Summer was too proud and childish. Half of the time I spent reading frustrated with her but since it was brutally honest about human nature I decided that I liked it enough to give it a 3. Humans only appreciate what they have when it's gone.

It painted the debauchery of the ton in a way that made it seem less disgusting and more factual than it deserved. I would have wanted less of that and more of political machinations.

Overall, it was an
Lizzie Vale
I like books that are not predictable.
Takumay Diazsingco
I really don't know what is the exact words to use if I'm going to say something about this book. I'm just pretty sure enough that this book is not for kids. Its seems that I'm investigating a crime scene that I have all the evidence I need to prove my suspicions right, but I can't charge any case against my suspect for if I did, I might look like an idiot at the end, for there is one simple piece that is missing, that you will only know if you are already on the last page of the trial.
Alex
Entertaining read

Alex's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Pixelinchen
Tina
This is the first romance novel I ever read..I loved it...got me hooked on her books. I later learned this style of writing is also called as bodice rippers which I thought to be funny. Getting lost in books is such a needed break from reality and this type of book is sometimes just what the doctor ordered :)
Mohini
Out of this world.gosh to find a man like that would be awesome
DemetraP
Did not finish book. All the characters were lying to each other.
Victoria
This was one of the best books I ever read!
Ning
ไมไหวจะอาน ..
สวนมากจะเคยอานแตพวกกระโปรงสุม พริวไหว นารัก ๆ มากกวา
เรืองนี มาทังตบ ทังขมขืน ..
ยังไมคอยชินกับยุคที เละเทะ แบบนีเทาไหร

จริง ๆ แลวกสนุกดี นาติดตาม แตมันแรงไป ยังไมคอยชิน

อานเลมแปล "จอมสลัดหลวง" สีตาแปล ของแกวกานต

Tanya Jenkins
Etty
Hm... Niat hati si Cat mau mempermainkan Ruark malah kebablasan hehehe... Kasian juga sih nasib keluarga Cat yang jatuh miskin gara2 bapaknya yang ga tau diri jadi terpaksa Cat dan adiknya Spider harus mencari uang dengan cara ilegal dan karena udah kepepet banget dia berusaha untuk mencari calon suami kaya yang bisa membayar utang2 bapaknya.
Sayangnya aq g bisa kasih lebih dari 3 bintang karena aq g suka dengan cerita tentang "smuggling"
Slayermel
Sep 22, 2008 Slayermel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good historical romance
I really enjoyed this book because it was written a little different then the usual ones I read. Lady Summer and Lord Ruark Helford get together fairly early in the book and discover their love and then it's a battle of wills between the two of them throughout the book. There are so many steamy love scenes I can't even count them. The story moved fast and I could not put it down. Great Story.
Mydearloverboy
Readaholic
This book was great in many ways. I loved the hero but only liked the heroine for the first half of the book and then she became a little insane! Although the heroine drove me nuts I still enjoyed the story and laughed and blushed throughout the book. Favorite part is when she is having one of her crazy moments and Rory dumps her overboard!
Barbra
This was the first of Virginia Henley's book that I read and thought it was a really good romance.

Back Cover Blurb:
Lady Summer, a one-time smugglar, looks to a wealthy marriage to save her family's estate, and sets out to win the heart of privateer Lord Ruark Helford, a mysterious man she meets at the court of King Charles II.
Joel Tone
I read Virginia Henley’s The Pirate and the Pagan the other night. If you thought Tess of the D’Urbervilles needed more sex scenes, more of Tess contributing to her own downfall, and a tacked-on happy ending, this is the book for you. Otherwise avoid this book.

The first two pages are amusing, so you might want to read those.
Isabel
Summer and her brother ( spider) have to fend for themselves , she is called to her aunt house because her father has died , once she reaches there ,her aunt tells her that in order to keep her house and her horse she should try to get herself a rich husband.
Anna
It was pretty bleh to be honest. Maybe I just don't enjoy the genre as much as I used to. Summer was a horrible person. And Ruark....The slapping went a little far. The more I think about it, the less I think I'll be reading her other books.
Ebony
i didn't like it. The whole premise was outlandish and the story should have fallen apart immediately but it dragged on. The characters romance was completely unstable and they weren't really good together.
Michelle
This silly book is one of my "guilty pleasure" books. I love the English history she weaves into the story, the descriptions of court, and the pirates. I'm a sucker for a good pirate story.
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (Cameron Family Saga #2)
  • Velvet Chains
  • Crimson Rapture
  • The Game
  • Sea Fire (Pirates, #2)
  • Savage Surrender
  • The Pirate Prince (Ascension Trilogy #1)
  • The Windflower
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • Lady Pirate
  • Wicked Loving Lies (Morgan-Challenger, #3)
  • My Wicked Pirate
Virginia Syddall was born on December 5, 1935 in England, where her father, Thomas Syddall, taught her to love history. She obtained a degree in History in the University. In 1956, Virginia married Arthur Henley. They moved to America, and now they live most of the year in St. Petersburg, Florida, and they spend the hot summers in Ontario, Canada, where they have their two adult children and three ...more
More about Virginia Henley...
The Falcon and the Flower (Medieval Plantagenet, #1) A Year and a Day (DeWarenn, #1) The Dragon and the Jewel (Medieval Plantagenet #2) The Hawk and the Dove Enslaved