Start by marking “The Pirate and the Pagan” as Want to Read:
The Pirate and the Pagan

The Pirate and the Pagan

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  1,652 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Wild as a pagan goddess, Lady Summer galloped her stallion along the Cornish coast.  She had dabbled in the smuggler's game to save her family estate, but a wealthy marriage would better serve her purpose now.  Lord Ruark Helford seemed the answer to her reckless prayers.  But as his hot, hungry kisses drew her toward deception and irresistible acts of love, she had to hes ...more
Published November 1st 1990 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate and the Pagan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate and the Pagan

Elis Madison

This is my favorite, so far, of Henley's early books, tho I did think the hero was a little serious spoiler alert(view spoiler)

Our heroine here is Lady Summer (Cat) St. Catherine. She and her younger brother Spencer (Sp
Regan Walker
Enthralling, Complex Story of Love and Deception—a Pirate Romance to treasure—a Keeper!

Winner of the Romantic Times Award for Best English Historical Romance in 1990, this is a wonderfully complex tale of deception and love set in 17th century England in the Restoration period when Charles II ruled England.

Lady Summer St. Catherine is an innocent, but not very lady like, young woman raised on the Cornish coast with her younger brother, Spencer (nicknamed Spider). With their mother dead and thei
Lorelle
Oct 31, 2012 Lorelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bodice Ripper lovers
You got to love the I love you, I hate You Bodice Rippers of the past.. Add some Pirate love to the mix and you have a recipe for a fun and sometimes ridiculous read. This is one of the better Pirate loving books I have read. It was my first Virginia Henley book and I loved it.
Amy
Aug 26, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
BEST BOOK EVER!
I've read hundreds and 5 stars isn't enough to rate this one.
Lots of romance, lots of heartache, a full plot that keeps you craving for more. But what I liked the most about this story was that it did not go
From the climatic conflict to blissful happiness in the span of 2 chapters. Instead the ending is very well rounded.
Thank you Virginia Henley!!!
Netha
May 19, 2011 Netha rated it liked it
novel2 VH mengingatkanku pada novel2 tante JL walo cowoqnya sih sadisan di VH & ceweq2 di VH tuh aduh too fragile too delicate pdhl cowoq2nya tuh tipe2 big bad barbarian super duper macho alpha male.

buku ini bercerita ttg Lady Summer or Cat & her young brother, spencer, yg hidup dalam hidup serba pas2an di desa.
hal itu membuatnya ke london tinggal bersama bibinya.
summer berniat mencari suami kaya yg bisa merubah hidupnya serta spencer.

Lord Ruark Helford langsung tertarik pd Cat.
Ruark adl
M
Mar 09, 2015 M rated it it was ok
Bambi Unbridled
There is just something about these old Virginia Henley romances that I love. You feel like you have read a whole series by the time you have finished one book. They just don't write books last this anymore... and that makes me sad.

Like most heroines in these type of books, our leading lady in this story is a survivor. Lady Summer St. Catherine (Cat) is forced into a life of theft and smuggling to put food on the table for her and her younger brother, Viscount Spencer St. Catherine (Spider). Chi
Nessa
Jan 28, 2016 Nessa rated it did not like it
DNF
HOW CAN ANYONE READ THIS CRAP?! THOUGH THIS ISNT MY FIRST HENLEY BOOK, MAN DO I WANT TO MURDER BOTH CHARACTERS. FIRST OF ALL, I ENJOY BODICE RIPPER TROUPES BUT THIS WAS JUST TERRIBLE!

OUR HERO is just overly temperamental bordering on bipolar and too hot-headed and impulsive. Quick with harsh words too. He's often sporting for a fight or having sex...that pretty much sums him, apart from some unexpected gestures that "suggests" his love. Posh! What a load of chicken poop!

OUR HEROINE is a tota
Emily
Sep 06, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Just finished this little gem and I have to say I liked it. I had never read Virginia Henley before but I'm glad I discovered her. This is the classic love/hate/love/hate taken to the extreme. The emotions were all over the place. But in a hilariously entertaining way. Henley is a very good writer and I especially loved the research she put into the Court of Charless II and the history, clothing, etc.

Maybe I'm dense but I did not see the twist with Ruark's identity coming. Kinda felt cheated wi
Davina
May 31, 2013 Davina rated it really liked it
I really appreciated the Restoration England setting in an age of wall to wall boring regency romance. There so needs to be more restoration romance, I would be totally here for that. Charles II was a character in this and I actually enjoyed him slightly more than the main couple who's big misunderstandings drove me nuts after a while. On the whole I enjoyed it.
Valerie Lane
Aug 29, 2011 Valerie Lane rated it it was amazing
Best love story ever! Love the characters and the drama. Made me laugh and cry. I would read this book over and over again. Highly recommend this book to avid Romance readers.
Iasmy
Dec 25, 2016 Iasmy rated it it was amazing
Cea mai complexa si interesanta cartea citita pana acum, scrisa de Henley
Malissa
Nov 04, 2016 Malissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not good when a reader is actually disgusted by the heroine

Spoilers!!! This story had potential, but literally took a short walk off a long pier. When a reader chooses a romance novel she is not expecting complexity of characters like in a Jane Austen novel. However romantic scenes need to be organic and not just thrown in every other page for shock and awe purposes. The inability for the heroine to "choose between brothers" ( even though it was obvious to the reader they were the same person) i
Pixelinchen
May 07, 2010 Pixelinchen rated it it was ok
Elle Rito
Mar 18, 2014 Elle Rito rated it liked it
I really wanted to give this 2 stars since I think that Summer was too proud and childish. Half of the time I spent reading frustrated with her but since it was brutally honest about human nature I decided that I liked it enough to give it a 3. Humans only appreciate what they have when it's gone.

It painted the debauchery of the ton in a way that made it seem less disgusting and more factual than it deserved. I would have wanted less of that and more of political machinations.

Overall, it was an
Slayermel
Mar 04, 2008 Slayermel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good historical romance
I really enjoyed this book because it was written a little different then the usual ones I read. Lady Summer and Lord Ruark Helford get together fairly early in the book and discover their love and then it's a battle of wills between the two of them throughout the book. There are so many steamy love scenes I can't even count them. The story moved fast and I could not put it down. Great Story.
Ning
ไมไหวจะอาน ..
สวนมากจะเคยอานแตพวกกระโปรงสุม พริวไหว นารัก ๆ มากกวา
เรืองนี มาทังตบ ทังขมขืน ..
ยังไมคอยชินกับยุคที เละเทะ แบบนีเทาไหร

Tanya Jenkins
Oct 21, 2013 Tanya Jenkins rated it really liked it
Etty
Sep 26, 2012 Etty rated it liked it
Hm... Niat hati si Cat mau mempermainkan Ruark malah kebablasan hehehe... Kasian juga sih nasib keluarga Cat yang jatuh miskin gara2 bapaknya yang ga tau diri jadi terpaksa Cat dan adiknya Spider harus mencari uang dengan cara ilegal dan karena udah kepepet banget dia berusaha untuk mencari calon suami kaya yang bisa membayar utang2 bapaknya.
Sayangnya aq g bisa kasih lebih dari 3 bintang karena aq g suka dengan cerita tentang "smuggling"
Takumay Diazsingco
Mar 29, 2015 Takumay Diazsingco rated it really liked it
Shelves: p-book
I really don't know what is the exact words to use if I'm going to say something about this book. I'm just pretty sure enough that this book is not for kids. Its seems that I'm investigating a crime scene that I have all the evidence I need to prove my suspicions right, but I can't charge any case against my suspect for if I did, I might look like an idiot at the end, for there is one simple piece that is missing, that you will only know if you are already on the last page of the trial.
Alex
Entertaining read

Alex's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Readaholic
This book was great in many ways. I loved the hero but only liked the heroine for the first half of the book and then she became a little insane! Although the heroine drove me nuts I still enjoyed the story and laughed and blushed throughout the book. Favorite part is when she is having one of her crazy moments and Rory dumps her overboard!
Joel Tone
Jun 29, 2011 Joel Tone rated it did not like it
I read Virginia Henley’s The Pirate and the Pagan the other night. If you thought Tess of the D’Urbervilles needed more sex scenes, more of Tess contributing to her own downfall, and a tacked-on happy ending, this is the book for you. Otherwise avoid this book.

The first two pages are amusing, so you might want to read those.
Barbra
Jul 26, 2009 Barbra rated it liked it
This was the first of Virginia Henley's book that I read and thought it was a really good romance.

Back Cover Blurb:
Lady Summer, a one-time smugglar, looks to a wealthy marriage to save her family's estate, and sets out to win the heart of privateer Lord Ruark Helford, a mysterious man she meets at the court of King Charles II.
Coral
I enjoyed this book way too much. Angst, complicated characters, a twist (I called it, but had to confirm before I kept reading); they just don't write them like this any more.
I liked the Restoration setting. Henley obviously did her homework and research, which enriches the book. The world building is excellent.
Mydearloverboy
Mar 22, 2012 Mydearloverboy rated it really liked it
Tina
Nov 24, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
This is the first romance novel I ever read..I loved it...got me hooked on her books. I later learned this style of writing is also called as bodice rippers which I thought to be funny. Getting lost in books is such a needed break from reality and this type of book is sometimes just what the doctor ordered :)
Ebony
Aug 21, 2012 Ebony rated it it was ok
i didn't like it. The whole premise was outlandish and the story should have fallen apart immediately but it dragged on. The characters romance was completely unstable and they weren't really good together.
Isabel
Feb 17, 2012 Isabel rated it really liked it
Summer and her brother ( spider) have to fend for themselves , she is called to her aunt house because her father has died , once she reaches there ,her aunt tells her that in order to keep her house and her horse she should try to get herself a rich husband.
Anna
Aug 27, 2012 Anna rated it it was ok
It was pretty bleh to be honest. Maybe I just don't enjoy the genre as much as I used to. Summer was a horrible person. And Ruark....The slapping went a little far. The more I think about it, the less I think I'll be reading her other books.
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (North American Woman Trilogy, #2)
  • Velvet Chains
  • Desire in Disguise
  • Tempt the Devil
  • The Wind and the Sea
  • Passion's Ransom
  • Lady Vixen (Louisiana, #5)
  • Crimson Rapture
  • Pleasuring the Pirate (How To, #2)
  • Nightsong
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • Sea Fire (Pirates, #2)
  • Love Wild and Fair
  • Wicked Loving Lies (Brandon-Morgan #6)
  • The Game (deWarenne Dynasty, #3)
  • Savage Surrender
  • Fortune's Flames
  • The Windflower
Virginia Syddall was born on December 5, 1935 in England, where her father, Thomas Syddall, taught her to love history. She obtained a degree in History in the University. In 1956, Virginia married Arthur Henley. They moved to America, and now they live most of the year in St. Petersburg, Florida, and they spend the hot summers in Ontario, Canada, where they have their two adult children and three ...more
More about Virginia Henley...