Start by marking “Jamberry” as Want to Read:
Jamberry

Jamberry

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  15,423 Ratings  ·  382 Reviews
This bestselling classic features a berry-loving boy and an endearing rhyme-spouting bear. The fun wordplay and bright paintings with lots of details for young readers to explore make Jamberry a perennial favorite, and this board book edition is a great stocking stuffer.

A small boy and a big friendly bear embark on a berry-picking extravaganza, looking for blueberries, bla
Board Book, 32 pages
Published January 6th 1995 by HarperFestival (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Jamberry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jamberry

Donovan
Jan 28, 2017 Donovan rated it it was amazing

Jamberry makes me hungry, as it should. It contains literally thousands of berries, jams, jellies, pies, tarts, you name it. And a pleasant anthropomorphic bear. There's a cute and, more importantly, un-forced rhyme scheme that lightly dips into the "made up words" Dr. Seuss territory. The artwork is solid. Clean, bright and imaginative. I think Bruce Degen does a good job of subtly encouraging kids to get outside and do something simple yet rewarding in nature, like berry picking, which stimual
Valerie
May 20, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Holds a special place in my heart--I was reading this book out loud to my 3 year-old niece after her brain surgery and it made her laugh. It was the first response we'd had and it marked the beginning of a turn for the better. I think this book is miraculous.
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
This has been one of our children's favorites.

It has wonderful, whimsical illustrations. The words are full of alliteration and made up words. This was a great book with which to challenge my early reading boys with.

A sweet, wonderful book that still makes me smile despite all the times we had to read it.
Terri Lynn
Jan 02, 2012 Terri Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, children
I read this book years ago when my daughter was younger and reread it regularly now. It is a purely joyful rhyming book that zips off the tongue in a delightful way. The colors burst off the page and there is so much energy here, it makes me want to dance. The berries look luscious and there are so many surprises in the gorgeous art. Read this no matter what age you are and please share it with all of the children in your world just for the joy and pleasure of it.
Kylie Walter
Oct 02, 2011 Kylie Walter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdg-334
Jamberry is another one of my very favorite primary reader books. As a little girl I read this book too many times to even attempt counting. When I first got it I couldn't actually read it but I had memorized it page by page so I pretended to read it. It is an easy read for beginners and it is absolutely adorable. It really pulls you in with its illustrations, I mean what little kid wouldnt want to be able to run around barefoot eating all sorts of berries and hanging out with a big bear like th ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
I revisited this book recently for the first time in over 5 years and liked it much more than I ever have before. Bo Peep became completely obsessed with the pictures as well as the rhythm of the text, and when the book is available, she asks for several readings right in a row. Miss Muffet also liked it, and she was making connections between it and other berry books we know, such as Blueberries for Sal.

This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

Read at Baby/Toddler story time on 1/
Ruby
Mar 27, 2012 Ruby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fruits
I think that this is a great book for 2 to 3 year olds because the sentences are very short and they all rhyme in each page.Younger children can definitely benefit from it because it is very short and simple under one category which is berries. The fiction will make it a fun story to review about what kinds of fruits will make good jam.I would like to use it in a unit that has to do with fruits and vegetables.

Extension activity: Children can go around and say how they would make their very own j
Antoinette
Aug 28, 2012 Antoinette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming, math
Its a great book with interesting rhyming and very colorful and imaginative illustrations.I could use this book to help them with rhyming words and math concept ( 1-4).

Learning Experience: I would bring in many different kinds of fresh berries when they are in season.( concrete example) I would invite children to make a simple pattern such as blueberry, strawberry, blueberry.As an extension I would make the pattern a little difficult for example, blueberry, blueberry, raspberry, and so on.
midnightfaerie
Jul 21, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was another one of those books where I didn't really see the allure, but my children absolutely loved it! All of them! My 5 yr old as well as the twin 3 yr olds! Pictures were interesting and fun, colorful, and there was no real story, but funny words made from jam like words, that had them all repeating the funny sounds. As I read it, they all insisted they get their own turn to examine each page. So, it was a winner for us!
Christina Mack
Jun 23, 2012 Christina Mack rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordplay, word-play
Wordplay at its finest resulted in a joyful read of an unbelievable adventure. Would recommend to teachers in pre-k classes everywhere.

Extension: teachers can bring in different flavors of jelly and jam for children to taste test on biscuits.

SD1 Children will use processes of science to actively explore and increase understanding of the environment.
Mandeep
Apr 17, 2010 Mandeep rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
although i found the sometimes nonsensical rhyming a little off putting, my 2 yr old loves this book. the first time she saw the illustrations her mouth was literally hanging open. the pictures aren't what i normally thought would appeal to her, but the detailed pages with cute character faces making exaggerated expressions really do appeal to her. "boy so happy" she likes to tell me.
Christie Wild
Oct 04, 2010 Christie Wild rated it it was amazing
Summary: A little boy walking in the forest meets a big lovalbe bear that takes him on a delicious berry-picking adventure in the magical world of Berryland.
A delicious classic (published in 1983)! Fun. Beautiful. Lyrical. Rhyming. I could read this one over and over. Maybe I'll even memorize it! Shouldn't be too hard at only 111 words.
Donna Roy
Jul 24, 2012 Donna Roy rated it it was amazing
A bear looks for berries to make jam. He's so hilarious because every word ends with berry(ex:shoeberry). The bear uses blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries and then a fountain and mountain of berries.

Learning Extension: The children could participate in a taste test, to test the different berries and discuss the colors and taste the berries.
Lori Nii-amassah
I love “Jamberry”. The book follows a little boy and lovable bear as they search for berries. It is full of vibrant colors and joyful rhyme that can capture the attention of any age.

You could extend this book by having your own berry tasting picnic. Make sure you have several different berries for the children to sample. Ask them what they taste like and which one they like the best.
Annie
Jan 05, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing
I love this book. As a preschool teacher I love to read it out loud. It is one of those rare children's books that I don't mind reading and over again because I enjoy it as much as the children do. It reminds me of The Beatles, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds."
Kimberly
Jul 23, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
My son enjoys this one...but I think I enjoy it more. The pictures are a bit too intricate (and not very bright) to really catch his attention, but I love the silly rhyming language and watching his face while I read it out loud to him. I think he'll like it even more as he gets older.
Rukia Rogers
Jul 21, 2010 Rukia Rogers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming
This book is a perfect read aloud with young children.Its clever illustrations are full of fun,irony and opportunities for conversations.The book also encompasses a wonderful rhythmic pace,joyful rhymes and is excellent for supporting phonological awareness.
Rob
Oct 17, 2009 Rob rated it really liked it
Shelves: with-holden
A silly, fun little kids book with a great cadence and a nice mix of whimsical word combinations and plain ol' made-up words. Lots of fun to read with your little one. Plus the oblique tip o' the hat to Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland was a nice touch.
Krystal
Feb 11, 2011 Krystal rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. I've read it to Lincoln so many time I think both of us can recite it without even looking at the pictures. Cute story, very clever writing. We love to pretend like we pick the berries off of each page and eat them.
Bridget
Sep 05, 2009 Bridget rated it it was amazing
Love it. Every time I read it I want to run across the street and go berry picking, just sometimes the berries aren't in season. Anyhow, it makes berry picking seem like more fun than Dance Dance Revolution somehow.
Emerson
Jun 12, 2011 Emerson rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books EVER. The book is all about berries, one of my favorite foods: blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries. A bear and his pal pick all kinds of berries, through all sorts of fun and wild scenes. The text rhymes and is really fun to listen to.
Sylvester
Aug 27, 2015 Sylvester rated it it was amazing
5* art
5* poem

Just fun. Fun to read, to hear, to see. Rollicking.
cheryl
Apr 04, 2012 cheryl rated it it was amazing
read this classic today to my first graders- we were talking about making a 1st grade list of books that should be read aloud. they were so entranced! love love the language and rhythym.
Casandria
Dec 02, 2016 Casandria rated it really liked it
A boy and a bear collect berries in this fun, rhythmic, silly book
Berries
Katy
Nov 16, 2015 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: bears, summer, food, berries
Used in storytime 7/7/2016
Julia Blake
Jul 11, 2015 Julia Blake rated it it was amazing
My two year old's favorite book.
Viviane Elbee
Mar 15, 2017 Viviane Elbee rated it really liked it
Though there's not much "story" my kids and I truly enjoyed this book. The lively, crazy illustrations (trains full of blackberries, elephants skating on raspberry jam, a berry hot air ballon) made us laugh and the incredibly silly rhymes were fun to read (shoeberry? Canoeberry? Boomberry? Zoomberry?)

Fun, quick read.
Traci Bold
A sweet rhyme about berry everything. Children will enjoy reading this book aloud with all of it's alliteration and vibrant illustrations.

Written and illustrated by Bruce Degen.

Published by Harper Collins.

#PB #jam #berries #bear #mustread #rhyme
Brittany Harvey
Feb 20, 2017 Brittany Harvey rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun!! Lots of rhyming and the illustrations are amazing!
J
Mar 03, 2017 J rated it really liked it
A fun, colorful toddler book.
2015 Reading Chal...: Jamberry by Bruce Degan 1 15 Aug 06, 2015 10:28AM
  • Big Red Barn
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Barnyard Dance
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • Freight Train
  • Is Your Mama a Llama?
  • Annie and the Wild Animals
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Hush Little Baby
  • Mister Seahorse
  • Little Gorilla
Bruce Degen is a children's literature author and illustrator, with over forty books to his credit.

He is probably best known as the illustrator of The Magic School Bus series of books, by Joanna Cole. He has collaborated with Nancy White Charstrom on the popular Jesse Bear books, and the Caldecott Medal winning Commander Toad series by Jane Yolen. Degen has authored Jamberry, Daddy Is a Doodlebug,
More about Bruce Degen...