Start by marking “Jamberry” as Want to Read:

Shoeberry
In my canoeberry
Under the bridge
And over the dam
Looking for berries Berries for jam

They're off...a boy and an endearing, rhyme-spouting bear, who squires him through a fantastic world of berries. And their adventure comes to a razzamatazz finale under a starberry sky.

Children will want to feast again and again on Bruce Degen's exuberant, colorful pictures
Board Book, 32 pages
Published January 6th 1995 by HarperFestival (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Jamberry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jamberry

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
222nd out of 3,165 books — 4,730 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Best children's books EVER
146th out of 1,032 books — 1,289 voters

More lists with this book...

Valerie
May 20, 2009 Valerie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Holds a special place in my heart--I was reading this book out loud to my 3 year-old niece after her brain surgery and it made her laugh. It was the first response we'd had and it marked the beginning of a turn for the better. I think this book is miraculous.
Terri Lynn
I read this book years ago when my daughter was younger and reread it regularly now. It is a purely joyful rhyming book that zips off the tongue in a delightful way. The colors burst off the page and there is so much energy here, it makes me want to dance. The berries look luscious and there are so many surprises in the gorgeous art. Read this no matter what age you are and please share it with all of the children in your world just for the joy and pleasure of it.
Kylie Walter
Jamberry is another one of my very favorite primary reader books. As a little girl I read this book too many times to even attempt counting. When I first got it I couldn't actually read it but I had memorized it page by page so I pretended to read it. It is an easy read for beginners and it is absolutely adorable. It really pulls you in with its illustrations, I mean what little kid wouldnt want to be able to run around barefoot eating all sorts of berries and hanging out with a big bear like th ...more
Ruby
Mar 27, 2012 Ruby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fruits
I think that this is a great book for 2 to 3 year olds because the sentences are very short and they all rhyme in each page.Younger children can definitely benefit from it because it is very short and simple under one category which is berries. The fiction will make it a fun story to review about what kinds of fruits will make good jam.I would like to use it in a unit that has to do with fruits and vegetables.

Extension activity: Children can go around and say how they would make their very own j
Antoinette
Its a great book with interesting rhyming and very colorful and imaginative illustrations.I could use this book to help them with rhyming words and math concept ( 1-4).

Learning Experience: I would bring in many different kinds of fresh berries when they are in season.( concrete example) I would invite children to make a simple pattern such as blueberry, strawberry, blueberry.As an extension I would make the pattern a little difficult for example, blueberry, blueberry, raspberry, and so on.
midnightfaerie
This was another one of those books where I didn't really see the allure, but my children absolutely loved it! All of them! My 5 yr old as well as the twin 3 yr olds! Pictures were interesting and fun, colorful, and there was no real story, but funny words made from jam like words, that had them all repeating the funny sounds. As I read it, they all insisted they get their own turn to examine each page. So, it was a winner for us!
Kristine Mathias
This is a cute little book about berries and what your imagination can do with them. It talks about all kinds of berries that some kids may never have heard of. I like how the illustrator uses borders on many of the pages by drawing them around the words or pictures and makes them look like they are supposed to be part of that particular picture. There are many bright colors and happy faces on the characters throughout the book. I think this is a quick and light read for. The rhyming that the au ...more
Mandeep
although i found the sometimes nonsensical rhyming a little off putting, my 2 yr old loves this book. the first time she saw the illustrations her mouth was literally hanging open. the pictures aren't what i normally thought would appeal to her, but the detailed pages with cute character faces making exaggerated expressions really do appeal to her. "boy so happy" she likes to tell me.
Lori Nii-amassah
I love “Jamberry”. The book follows a little boy and lovable bear as they search for berries. It is full of vibrant colors and joyful rhyme that can capture the attention of any age.

You could extend this book by having your own berry tasting picnic. Make sure you have several different berries for the children to sample. Ask them what they taste like and which one they like the best.
Christina Mack
Wordplay at its finest resulted in a joyful read of an unbelievable adventure. Would recommend to teachers in pre-k classes everywhere.

Extension: teachers can bring in different flavors of jelly and jam for children to taste test on biscuits.

SD1 Children will use processes of science to actively explore and increase understanding of the environment.
Donna Roy
A bear looks for berries to make jam. He's so hilarious because every word ends with berry(ex:shoeberry). The bear uses blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries and then a fountain and mountain of berries.

Learning Extension: The children could participate in a taste test, to test the different berries and discuss the colors and taste the berries.
Christie Wild
Summary: A little boy walking in the forest meets a big lovalbe bear that takes him on a delicious berry-picking adventure in the magical world of Berryland.
A delicious classic (published in 1983)! Fun. Beautiful. Lyrical. Rhyming. I could read this one over and over. Maybe I'll even memorize it! Shouldn't be too hard at only 111 words.
Emerson
One of my favorite books EVER. The book is all about berries, one of my favorite foods: blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries. A bear and his pal pick all kinds of berries, through all sorts of fun and wild scenes. The text rhymes and is really fun to listen to.
Annie
I love this book. As a preschool teacher I love to read it out loud. It is one of those rare children's books that I don't mind reading and over again because I enjoy it as much as the children do. It reminds me of The Beatles, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds."
Rob
A silly, fun little kids book with a great cadence and a nice mix of whimsical word combinations and plain ol' made-up words. Lots of fun to read with your little one. Plus the oblique tip o' the hat to Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland was a nice touch.
Rukia Rogers
This book is a perfect read aloud with young children.Its clever illustrations are full of fun,irony and opportunities for conversations.The book also encompasses a wonderful rhythmic pace,joyful rhymes and is excellent for supporting phonological awareness.
Krystal
This is one of my favorite books. I've read it to Lincoln so many time I think both of us can recite it without even looking at the pictures. Cute story, very clever writing. We love to pretend like we pick the berries off of each page and eat them.
Bridget
Love it. Every time I read it I want to run across the street and go berry picking, just sometimes the berries aren't in season. Anyhow, it makes berry picking seem like more fun than Dance Dance Revolution somehow.
Annalisa
This cute little poem comes alive through the colorful illustrations. Jamberry by Bruce Degen has a familiar feel to the it's rhymes,it is very similar to other nursery rhymes. This is a book that you will need to read a few times before you read it aloud. There are many tongue twister in this poem. During the story there are different types of berries as well as words that have had the word berry added to the end. The children will have fun listening and paying attention to the words to hear wh ...more
cheryl
read this classic today to my first graders- we were talking about making a 1st grade list of books that should be read aloud. they were so entranced! love love the language and rhythym.
Dominique
Young children will enjoy the enthusiastic alliterative rhyming and the bright colors of this story.The illustrations are so good they practically tell the whole story. The rhyme and repetition of the words is good for children to hear when teaching language and literacy.
Learning experience:Show children the cover of the book. Point out that the title Jamberry is made up of two smaller words: jam and berry. Invite children to create compound words like those in the book, using made-up berry word
Deja
Review: This book was okay to me. I do loved how they rhyme with each berry believe children love hearing rhyming word. Also the adventures they had with the berries might want children who do not like eating fruit might want to try to eat it reading this book I knew I would want to very entertaining for kids.

Learning Experience: I could use this as two units of study's dealing with fruits and rhymes. We could be learning about berries I could have di-cuts an they would have to match the correct
Jackie O'Neil
I like this book because the author shows his passion for berries and I personally like them too. This book shows us that we can have berries anytime of the day. We will find slices of bread as brunches or leaves of a tree, waffles on the lake and cubes of butter in the center of the flowers.I think it can represents breakfast. We will find strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries in every page. After reading the last page of the book; it is clear to me that he tough about his childhood while ...more
Catherine Rogers
A colorful and joyful adventure of a boy and a bear searching and picking berries. With words that rhyme and vivid illustrations this book will be one that children will enjoy over and over again as they learn to read, rhyme, and recognize words and the characters that make them come alive. At the close of the book the author Bruce Degen shares personal memories of gathering berries. This book is an excellent choice for building the vocabulary of preschool children.
Ariel S
Title: Jamberry
Author: Bruce Degen. He illustrated the Magic School Bus books. He stated that he loves putting humor in his children's book.
Illustrator: Brue Degen
Review: This is a very colorful and fun book to read to children. It has amazing word play with objects in this book. As well as teaching children about different berries and fruits. There is also some great vocabulary words in it and onomatopoeia.
Linda
A bear goes on a quest for berries to make jam. He is funny because he starts making regular words end in berry like hatberry, shoeberry, and canoeberry. The story continues using blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. Soon there are fountains and mountains of berries.
The story is just a fun one to get the children’s imaginations going. In the epilogue, Bruce Degan tells the story of his picking fresh berries with his grandparents for them to use in pies and jams. Now he carri
Bunty Jah
Another one of my favorite that I would love to read to a classroom of children. Loved the colors they really pop and very eye catching. Makes you want to eat the berries. Beautiful colors and I think children will love this book. This book would be good for first timer readers. It also teaches children to count and rhyming words. I will definitely recommend to parents with preschoolers.
Gisele Tamara
The illustrations are so colorful and very detailed. It went hand and hand with the story. The story is a bout a little boy and a bear who are on an adventure to get berries to make jam. Along the way various concepts were introduced. Among them were numbers, daily objects, animals, onomatopoeia, alliteration, etc. This story contains it all. It was a very fun and amusing story about teamwork.
Jennifer Lavonier
This is a perfect book and holds a permanent spot on “my top twenty books for a baby” list.

The illustrations are colorful, detailed and whimsical. And there are fun things going on in the background to point out and talk about.

The text has a flawless rhyming pace, making almost any adult feel like the most practiced preschool teacher or librarian while reading it aloud. When there’s a perfect rhythm to follow you can almost sing the words, making it that much more fun to read.

Jamberry is a simp
Jacqueline Lewis
I like this book because the author shows his passion for berries and I personally like them too. Love the language and rhythms. The story is just a fun one to get the children’s imaginations going. The illustrations are very colorful and detailed, they seams to pull you in and make you want to read more. This book can be used for teaching rhymes and different kinds of berries.
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Annie and the Wild Animals
  • Owl Babies
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • Baby Beluga
Bruce Degen is a children's literature author and illustrator, with over forty books to his credit.

He is probably best known as the illustrator of The Magic School Bus series of books, by Joanna Cole. He has collaborated with Nancy White Charstrom on the popular Jesse Bear books, and the Caldecott Medal winning Commander Toad series by Jane Yolen. Degen has authored Jamberry, Daddy Is a Doodlebug,
More about Bruce Degen...
The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds: A Book About How Living Things Grow I Gotta Draw Daddy Is a Doodlebug I Said, "Bed!" The Little Witch and the Riddle