Start by marking “The Riddle of the Rosetta Stone” as Want to Read:
The Riddle of the Rosetta Stone

The Riddle of the Rosetta Stone

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Decipher the history of Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs with this enlightening account of the discovery and translation of the Rosetta Stone. Packed with illustrations, engravings, and historical photographs, The Riddle of the Rosetta Stone is an informative yet accessible overview perfect for aspiring young Egyptologists, kids interested in archaeology, and students in grade ...more
Published February 28th 1993 by HarperCollins (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Riddle of the Rosetta Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riddle of the Rosetta Stone

Sabrina
Aug 20, 2014 Sabrina rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another summer read for my son. This one I really liked - I learned things and was amazed at how informal the book was even from a kids perspective. My son liked it too, although in one of his answers to his reading guide he wrote "it was ok, but I would not have read this if I had a choice" so fresh ;-).

I have a feeling he doesn't yet realize how lucky he is to have read this book. He will remember this information in the future and will be that much smarter because of it.
Megan Everitt
Jun 08, 2015 Megan Everitt rated it liked it
I teach 6th grade SS and this is one portion of ancient civilizations we discuss - I saw the book on the library shelf and wanted to know more so that I could share information with my students next year... It was a great read. Very informative and interesting. I thought it was extremely cool to be able to actually read the translation of the actual Rosetta Stone!
P1/2 Alberton
Mar 16, 2015 P1/2 Alberton rated it really liked it
i thought this book was great because it tells when they found it and how they got to translate the language of hieroglyphics and it tells the meaning of some of the symbols
Marcus Williams
Feb 03, 2014 Marcus Williams rated it liked it
a very informative journey into the importance of the rosetta stone, the history of linguistic practices and some historical lineages to boot. simple but interesting, insightful and educational
Hannah
I read this shortly after reading "The Linguist and the Emperor" by Daniel Meyerson. They include much of the same information, but Meyerson, of course, has more detail on the people involved in the excavation of the Rosetta Stone than this much simpler book did.
KatieBelle K.
Oct 02, 2015 KatieBelle K. rated it it was amazing
Because it taught me hieroglyphics!
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
A very good summary of the events surrounding the discovery of Rosetta Stone and the subsequent attempts at interpreting hieroglyphics. Useful if you have a child studying Egypt or the Pyramids. If you have a child reading the 39 Clues have them read this book with the Egypt title.
Lila
Sep 23, 2012 Lila rated it really liked it
So, this is a YA book, but I still couldn't help that I enjoyed the little overview it provided. Nice, concise summary about the background of how the Rosetta Stone was decoded. Places you right in the history with nice accompanying photos. Only takes about a 1/2 hour of your time. Fun!
Elena
Jan 13, 2012 Elena rated it really liked it
Fascinating, clear read. A good explanation for kids about the Rosetta Stone and the process of deciphering it. I especially liked how photographs of statues were included that had the symbols explained on the page so the reader could see that it said Ptolemy on an actual artifact.
Sandy
Nov 30, 2009 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very nice timeline for finding the rosetta stone, and then the key persons who built the translation of the hieroglyphs and other Egyptian writing. Very interesting. Only problem was the pictures sometimes broke up the reading mid-sentence.
Natajia
Sep 28, 2013 Natajia rated it really liked it
Fun, quick read about the Rosetta Stone with a very clear timeline dedicated to the history of who had a hand in deciphering it. Great for anyone that has children wanting to learn more about ancient Egypt.
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2008- Read this quickly one day when I was caught with nothing to read. Gives a nice overview of the history of the Rosetta Stone, and I actually learned a fair amount about Egyptian hieroglyphs.
Josette
Mar 09, 2010 Josette rated it really liked it
Clear, concise explanation of the history of attempts to unlock hieroglyphics, the role of the Rosetta Stone and the 18th, 19th and 20th century people who contributed to our understanding of it.
Bernadette
Apr 07, 2009 Bernadette rated it really liked it
An excellent addition to any classroom study on ancient Egypt or hieroglyphics! Includes a bibliography and index.
Celecta Moss
Feb 06, 2012 Celecta Moss rated it liked it
CBI: Very interesting. Not as many people, didn’t keep attention as much for me because of the topic. (77)
Analee
Feb 26, 2009 Analee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
It solved the Riddle for me. Very informative, I read it in a half hour. I love this stuff!
Cool
Jul 07, 2010 Cool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DOE read - interesting and easy to read
Debrarian
Brief, informative and intriguing.
Raiden
Raiden marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
LP
LP marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
James Spencer
James Spencer rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Vladimir Lugo
Vladimir Lugo rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Renee Mcgill
Renee Mcgill marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Angela Gates-Lancaster
Angela Gates-Lancaster marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Born on July 8th, James Cross Giblin was, in his own words, "shy, bookish, and a little spoiled." He loved comic books and drew his own comic strips. Giblin worked on his school newspapers and wrote a play while he was at Western Reserve University. That play, My Bus Was Always Late, was published in 1954. He worked hard at writing plays, but disappointment followed.

After receiving his MFA in crea
More about James Cross Giblin...