Start by marking “Daughter of Regals and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Regals and Other Tales

Daughter of Regals and Other Tales

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  2,026 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Librarian's Note: This (ISBN10 0345314433) alternate cover edition features the original 1984 mass market paperback cover art by Michael Whelan.

* Introduction • (1984) • essay
* Daughter of Regals • (1984) • novella
* Gilden-Fire • [The First Chronicle of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever] • (1981) • novella
* Mythological Beast • (1979) • short story
* The Lady in White • (1978)
Mass Market Paperback, Alternate Cover (0345314433), 366 pages
Published April 1985 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Regals and Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Regals and Other Tales

Lasairfiona Smith
Oct 13, 2007 Lasairfiona Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who don't like Donaldson
His short stories are much, much, much better than his books. They are enjoyable and skip the long, drawn out, never ending, no resolution, obnoxiousness that are the rest of this book.

Donaldson, stick to short stories. You do so much better when you distill your good ideas down to what they should be: little bites of good story.
Koo Drain
Oct 27, 2014 Koo Drain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enjoyed
Really great short stories from a really great writer. This is one of the books I pick up when I want a quick fantasy fix. Can't tell you how many times I have read it - I am right inside the stories in seconds.
Velveeta
Jul 09, 2009 Velveeta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent collection of shorts from his prime period
Steven
May 02, 2012 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though best known for his Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series of books, Donaldson also writes short stories and mini-novellas. This book is a collection of them. I am not a Donaldson fan, but this book is a good one. The longer short stories -- the mini-novellas -- are told very well, and are proof that stories don't have to be hundreds of pages long to have strong characters, good plots, and satisfying conclusions. If you have not read this book and do not run away from fantasy (magic, dragons ...more
Greg Curtis
Jul 30, 2011 Greg Curtis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Loved this. Its Stepjen Donaldson back at his best, and though the work is shorter fiction, I would hardly call any of the tales in it short stories.

Its beautiful prose as always, and he is a master of setting the scene and laying out a plot to bring astory to life. The title story is a tad dark, showing signs of heading down the same pathway as first the Mordant's Dreams and then the Gap series, but he rescues it and it ends well. But for me the stand out is Unworthy of the Angel, which is a
1000rpm
Apr 18, 2014 1000rpm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I was reading alongside the book above. I am not sure, but I may have read it previously in my youth when I read the Thomas Covenant novels. One of the stories in it is a cut out part of that series. Donaldson seemed to think that segment was worthy of publishing, while a lot of the rest that was cut is no big loss. The book was published in the 1980s.

The stories are a mixed bag in a number of ways. Some have aged poorly, while others are quite brilliant. There are sci-if, horro
Bill
Apr 03, 2008 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping, if somewhat dark short stories. Clearly for an adult audience, but one of things I like about these stories is that they make interesting and thoughtful points. Some of them are very dark and graphic though, so they are not to everyone's taste. One of them is great vampire story though, and I don't go in for that kind of thing. So while I recommend this as great literature, I also warn they you should approach it expecting some unappealing images.
Jan-Maat
OK set of short stories. In tone between the darker Covenant series and the lighter mordant series. I remember bits of a couple of the tales. Wouldn't seek it out.
Stephanie Barth
Jul 05, 2016 Stephanie Barth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories included are:

Daughter of Regals: political intrigue and backstabbing- I feel it is the best story out of the book

Gilden-fire: this is very high fantasy and was cut out from the author's novel The Illearth War- this was very dense and was a huge info dump. I was not prepared for this so the story read extremely slow for me. Was still very well written though.

Mythological Beast: spoof on Fahrenheit 451? - I thought it was a fun read

The Lady in White: a mystery lady woos all the men in
Adrian Rose
Aug 01, 2015 Adrian Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Some extremely powerful storytelling.
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
As a whole, this anthology is varied - it's pretty much half science fiction, half fantasy, with some of the fantasy stories set in some sort of fantasy medieval-like world and some of the fantasy stories set in more contemporary times. All the stories in this trilogy were first published in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

"Daughter of Regals":

In this fantasy novella, a young woman is trying to get through the evening that will determine whether or not she is a Regal. If she can manage to pass th
Alicia
Some friends recommended this to me as a way into Stephen Donaldson fiction. Not sure if I'm hooked just yet, but maybe I'll give it a shot. The fantasy stories in this collection where not that impressive. They were a little trite and predictable, which really, what fiction isn't? I'll give him credit for the uniqueness of his fantasy stories, which weren't always fluffy piles of happy magical creature fluff (except for the title story, which was pretty awful). But where he was really shining w ...more
Lord Humungus
One of my favorite podcasts recommended this book, and in fact the story on the podcast was featured in this collection.

I understand the author is famous for his fantasy work, so I was expecting to be intrigued or blown away by the stories in this collection. Donaldson's command of the language, and his occasionally florid style are satisfyingly impressive, but for the most part, I was unimpressed. My favorite story was "Animal Lover", a science fiction short, rather than any of the fantasy piec
Sara
Mar 19, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I enjoyed this collection of stories. It's been quite awhile now since I've read them and I mainly remember the odd angel story - the angel with no memory. It was a bit disturbing thinking there were angels out there with a 24 hour memory.

I first became acquainted with Donaldson when I read "A Man Rides Through" and "The Mirror of Her Dreams". Loved those books! Then I read Thomas Covenant and I felt it got off to a slow start but that Donaldson eventually became a better writer as the series pr
Neil
Jan 17, 2010 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donna
A very varied collection of short stories with an interesting foreword describing how some of the stories evolved.

Daughter of Regals reminds me of A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin as well Mordant's Need. Mythological Beast and The Lady in White are in a similar vein, from a similar age, both well worth reading.

Animal Lover is a much more modern sci-fi - not my particular taste but could interest some who find Donaldson hard going in the longer trilogies.

Unworthy of the Angel is more akin
Cathie
Nov 02, 2014 Cathie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first two stories were difficult to read; the second I couldn't take at all. However after the first two Donaldson's style totally changed and it was easy, good reading. It felt like the 2nd part of the book was written by a totally different writer. I'm glad I continued reading.
Michael Buchanan
daughter of Regals was a dull story
Mythological beast was weird but fun to read
The lady in White was a tale that didn't deliver
Animal Lover was my favorite. Over the top science fiction. Fun
Unworthy of the Angel was good.
The Conqueror Worm was filler
Ser Visal's Tale was great, I enjoyed the imagery
Savina
Oct 01, 2015 Savina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-owned, crime, angel, adult
The stories themselves were well put together and kept me wanting to read more. My favorites of the 8 tales have to be Daughter of Regals, Mythological Beast, and Animal Lover. The combined fantasy with science fiction just made them even more intriguing.
J
Jan 09, 2013 J rated it really liked it
A book of 8 short stories with a wide range of settings and themes. This book truly blends the realms of science fiction and fantasy together within the scope of its contents.

One of the stories is an out-take from the Illearth War, a book written by Donaldson previously. For this excerpt alone the book has value to anyone who has read and enjoyed the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever. However, many of the other stories within are at the very least enticing and interesting to read.

Som
Rachael Thao
Aug 30, 2015 Rachael Thao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daughter of Regals is my favorite short story, ever. The rest of his short stories are okay--hence the 4/5 stars.
Imran Ali
Sep 21, 2016 Imran Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donaldson is all about his short stories. Absolutely fantastic.
Rachel
Sep 23, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Partly good, partly average, partly really really weird.
Aaron
Feb 01, 2016 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is a book of short stories. I read all but Gilden-Fire which is a "back-story" to the author's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. Since I didn't read that book or any of the books in Covenant series of books, I did not think I would understand it enough to get much out of it. Overall, a great read. I especially liked Ser Visal's Tale, a medieval flavored story about honor, Animal Lover (futuristic Cyborg hero story against a mad scientist villain) and Unworthy of the Angel which ...more
Nichole Judd
Aug 04, 2014 Nichole Judd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection of short stories!
Keith Trullinger
Great book! Classic Donaldson.
David Melbie
Oct 12, 2014 David Melbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to David by: Personal pick
One of my favorite authors. A few of these tales were great. The rest, not so great, but always good writing.
Thomas
Dec 11, 2007 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Donaldson-lite. The Thomas Covenant experience (first trilogy) really pulled me in with suspense and the frustration one naturally feels toward an anti-hero. I recall waiting for each Donaldson book to hit the shelves. But it wasn't possible to duplicate the experience in these shorter stories (or really even in the second trilogy). Interesting to read a missing Covenant chapter. Conqueror Worm might appeal to strange high schoolers. Just a little better than "OK" for me.
Treygar
picked this up at a relatives house.

some fun short stories in this one, albeit some are forgettable.

I liked the one of the tough guy going into the forest to stop the evil witch, those type of heroic stories are always interesting.

Donaldson's stories all deal with different aspects of Magic and this is as good a collection in that genre as any.
Sarah Clinch
Daughter of Regals & Other Tales begins with an explanation of how the short story must demonstrate a greater skill than the novel - unfortunately as short stories go, these aren't fine examples. That's not to say this book is full of rubbish short stories, but I've read some fine short stories and these aren't those.
Don
Feb 03, 2014 Don rated it liked it
Like "Reave the Just and Other Tales", this is a collection of short stories and novellas. Like Reave the Just, it isn't as good as the Thomas Covenant books, but is way better than the Gap Cycle. Of course, everything is better than the Gap Cycle. Worth a read.
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • The Book of Philip Jose Farmer
  • Unicorn Variations
  • Novelties and Souvenirs: Collected Short Fiction
  • Ellison Wonderland
  • The Silicon Mage (Windrose Chronicles, #2)
  • Exiles of the Rynth (Irissa and Kendric #2)
  • The Anvil of Ice (The Winter of the World, #1)
  • The Ring of Allaire (Winter King's War, #1)
  • Ghosts and Grisly Things
  • The Deryni Archives
  • Visible Light
  • The Saliva Tree and Other Strange Growths
  • Evil Cat: A Fluffy Kitty Gets Mean
Stephen Reeder Donaldson is an American fantasy, science fiction, and mystery novelist; in the United Kingdom he is usually called "Stephen Donaldson" (without the "R"). He has also written non-fiction under the pen name Reed Stephens.

EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATION:

Stephen R. Donaldson was born May 13, 1947 in Cleveland, Ohio. His father, James, was a medical missionary and his mother, Ruth, a prostheti
More about Stephen R. Donaldson...