Start by marking “The Ruling Class: How They Corrupted America and What We Can Do about It” as Want to Read:
The Ruling Class: How They Corrupted America and What We Can Do about It

The Ruling Class: How They Corrupted America and What We Can Do about It

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In this profound and incisive work, Angelo M. Codevilla introduces readers to the Ruling Class, the group of bipartisan political elites who run America. This Ruling Class, educated at prestigious universities and convinced of its own superiority, has everything to gain by raising taxes and expanding the reach of government. This class maintains that it knows what is best ...more
Published September 12th 2010 by Beaufort Books (first published August 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Ruling Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ruling Class

Ted Ryan
This book nails it. The problem in Washington isn't a Democrat problem or Republican problem, it is a Ruling Class problem. The Ruling Class, as the author so ably defines them, are detached from the lives of the average American, the Country Class. They rule from on high.

"The Ruling Class is keener to reform the American peoples' family and spiritual lives than their economic and civic ones."

The baker forced to bake cakes for a wedding, anyone?

As government burrows further and further into the
Joshua
While this short, perhaps a little too short for my taste, book on the Left wing agenda was good, it was also far from great.

The author, Codevilla, could have gone far more in depth in anyone of the numerous topics in which where just merely touched upon, also, the author should have included more references to the claims being made. This is really my only serious issue with this rather short piece of PoliSci.

I felt as though the only time the author used references was when he would quote somet
John
Sep 17, 2010 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Codevilla turned a popular essay from a few months ago into a longer treatise. The essay is excellent, and the book is slightly better because it allows a fuller treatment of the issues at hand. Unfortunately it seemed a bit rushed to the publisher because it could have really used more material than is there. The book is excellent in its analysis of the two classes in American public life at odds with one another. Codevilla shows that it is a bigger matter than red states versus blue states. We ...more
Stephen
This short book that should have been longer and more descriptive. But for its length it makes the case that modern American politics is not simply between Democrats and Republicans, but a more difficult battle between the Ruling Class and Country Class. The Ruling Class sees an ever growing Government as the future, while the Country Class has faith in God, family, and the Constitution. It can be hard for some to grasp that Ruling Class Republicans despise primaries, and would rather lose a gen ...more
Jerry
This book does a lot in a short page count, even including the Declaration of Independence and Constitution. Codevilla summarizes two divergent philosophies of government into Ruling Class and Country Class, and one of the best distinctions made in the book is that both Democrats and Republicans can belong to the Ruling Class, those that think they (big govt) can and should dominate and control the lives of others through legislation. He also provides a decent bibliography for those wanting to c ...more
Sean Higgins
There weren’t many citations, but there were cutting observations on our current governing class and how we got into this mess.

Bonus: The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were included at the back of the book. If I’d ever read them before, I’m sure it’s been thirty or more years. And, hey, there’s some good stuff in those! Maybe we should pay attention to them or something.
James Coats
If not for the author's credentials I'd feel more like I just read something by Jesse Ventura. It's almost like you could put "illuminati" in place of "Ruling Class." Nonetheless, it's a thought-provoking read. Probably the best thing about it is that it "forced" me to read the Declaration of Ineependence and The Constitution.
Douglas Wilson
I really appreciated this. It explains an awful lot. I read the original article in The American Spectator, then order the expanded version in the book form, and read it again. Great stuff. If you want to understand the roiled events of the next several years, get and master this book.
Chris Comis
Great little book by a neo-con on the left-wing conspiracy going on in America. He fails to understand that reformation in politics won't happen until we see reformation in the Church. But as far as reformation in politics goes, some pretty good insights here.
Peter Roise
Angelo gives us an extreme simplification of complex movements and trends, with all the goods and bads that that entails. Good insight, but his traditional conservative/republican point of view comes through in places and costs him some credibility, in my opinion.
Johnnie
Excellent book. Mostly I liked his explanation for the "wealthy and corporate" defense of the State in the face of liberty and self interest. The business of business is government, especially when subsidies are greater reward than profit and result in greater power.
George Ashmore
I havent read it yet but WILL!! OK, finally got it & read it--a great read!. A deep intellect with great knowledge looks at the current corrupt state of the united states --shows us how we got there & tries to give suggestions how we might fix things.
Alisa
Excellent, succinct encapsulation of the political divide in the US that has given rise to such groups as the TEA Party.
Abc
Oct 25, 2011 Abc marked it as to-read
I won this book in a giveaway. Thank you.
Chris
Easy, quick read.
Dane
Insightful.
Tootie
Tootie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Zag
Zag marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Joe Phillips
Joe Phillips marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Levent
Levent marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Brittany Martin
Brittany Martin marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Blake Arensdorf
Blake Arensdorf marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Wealth and Poverty
  • The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success
  • What It Means to Be a Libertarian
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • How Capitalism Saved America: The Untold History of Our Country, from the Pilgrims to the Present
  • Religion and the Rise of Western Culture
  • Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault
  • Among the Truthers: A Journey Through America's Growing Conspiracist Underground
  • Nullification: How to Resist Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century
  • Primetime Propaganda: The True Hollywood Story of How the Left Took Over Your TV
  • The Death of Common Sense: How Law Is Suffocating America
  • Suicide of a Superpower: Will America Survive to 2025?
  • The Political Writings of St. Augustine
  • Mexifornia: A State of Becoming
  • Saving Leonardo: A Call to Resist the Secular Assault on Mind, Morals, and Meaning
  • The Big Con: The True Story of How Washington Got Hoodwinked and Hijacked by Crackpot Economics
  • Defending Constantine: The Twilight of an Empire and the Dawn of Christendom
  • Making the Future: The Unipolar Imperial Moment (Open Media)
Angelo M. Codevilla is professor emeritus of international relations at Boston University. Educated at Rutgers (1965) Notre Dame (1968), and the Claremont graduate university (1973), Codevilla served in the US Navy, the US Foreign Service, and on the US Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. He taught philosophy at Georgetown, classified intelligence matters at the US Naval Post graduate School. ...more
More about Angelo M. Codevilla...
Between the Alps and a Hard Place: Switzerland in World War II and the Rewriting of History The Character Of Nations: How Politics Makes And Breaks Prosperity, Family, And Civility To Make and Keep Peace Among Ourselves and with All Nations No Victory, No Peace To Make and Keep Peace Among Ourselves and with All Nations