Start by marking “Sweet Tooth” as Want to Read:
Sweet Tooth

Sweet Tooth

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Lots of kids have a sweet tooth. But not like Stewart's. His very loud sweet tooth wants what it wants, when it wants it...and lets everyone know about it.
Stewart's sweet tooth screams for cake at weddings, for candy during class, and torments him at the movies. Stewart has had enough, and he's bringing out the big guns -- a carrot.
Can he stand up to the most annoying
Published September 1st 2004 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published August 10th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Tooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Tooth

Ariel Cummins
Very silly story about one boy with a quite outspoken sweet tooth. Stewart's sweet tooth gets him in to all kinds of trouble. One day, he decides to cut it off cold turkey. Healthy food, brushing and flossing, and mouthwash almost shut up his sweet tooth. But when he comes back with a vengeance, Stewart has to break out the big guns -- a carrot.

Really awesome illustrations bring to life the consequences of the sweet tooth's bullying. They add a lot to the humor of the story, especially the contr
Matthew
Give someone with an overactive imagination, an overdeveloped vocabulary, and a penchant for sugary treats a pencil and this is bound to happen sooner later. This is the story of a high-maintenence sweet tooth and the boy he was attached to at the gum. If you're like me, you can identify here. I think I have an entire mouth full of this sweet tooth's relatives and friends. This is the sort of story that you should read aloud. It's wordy, like all Margie Palatini books are, and it's wonderful. It ...more
Tory Haberman
Sweet Tooth by Margie Palatini is about a kid named Stuart’s sweet tooth; a nagging, annoying, and demanding sweet tooth who wants what it wants when it wants it. It causes Stuart to do terrible, horrible, and overall bad things. That is, being a distraction in his class, eating all the Easter candy, etc. It wasn’t till Stuart had had enough and decided to go on a healthy diet! He ate his peas and broccoli while his sweet tooth protested. He stayed strong and didn’t listen to what his sweet toot ...more
Laurie
Cheryl
Funny. I love the little sister. I like how the boy overcomes the demands of his sweet tooth by willpower but SPOILER that's only at first; when it gets to be too troublesome we're all glad he loses that tooth. I'd have liked willpower to be sufficient all through - I guess it's the parent in me.
Gina
Sweet Tooth is a book about a bossy, nasty tooth that needs his sweets. He bosses Stewart around to give sweets at the most inconvenient of time. Finally Stewart has had enough, he brushed, flossed, and cut out all sweets. But that wasn't going to stop the sweet toot so finally Stewart brought out the big guns, a carrot. And with the carrot Stewart's sweet tooth was finally gone.

The language that Palatini uses truly adds to the bossiness of the sweet tooth. Without using that specific language t
Fidelis
Have you ever not been in control? Well Stewart has. He hasn't been in control over sweets because he has a sweet tooth. But it's no ordinary sweet tooth. This tooth talks and is incredibly rude. The tooth interferes with everything. First a wedding, then school! Read this book to find out what happens next
in... Sweet Tooth!
Emily
A bossy, no-good, mean old sweet tooth is running and ruining Stewart's life. It dictates his days and is getting him in a ton of trouble! With strong-willed determination, Stewart hits the veggies hard and sweet tooth eventually meets his death… by carrot. It's quite a terrifying sweet tooth to be honest - could use for personification or voice lesson or bad habits/sin devotional.
Dedra
Hysterical!!! I seriously laughed out loud. Perfect for a variety of ages. The illustrations are fantastic (the sweet tooth's face on the pea page was AWESOME!), and it is just a really funny read. This book would also be perfect for teaching personification and voice to older kids.
Kristen
Hilarious picture book about Stewart's demanding Sweet Tooth. Great for teaching voice and point of view.
Asha Smith
This book is a funny take on teeth. A little boy has a nasty little sweet tooth and drives him to do crazy things and go bizarck over sweet stuff. Well the little boy decides to stand up to his sweet tooth and only feed him vegetables. This is a great book to use on nutrition and taking care of your teeth. I would use this book in my class room when talking about healthy living and taking care of your body. It is also a good book because children are constantly losing teeth, so this book makes l ...more
Dolly
Nov 22, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, childrens
This is a humorous, but slightly annoying tale/allegory about a young child whose sweet tooth becomes increasingly loud and demanding. Children will laugh at the concept of a tooth being so rude and obnoxious, but I, as a parent, merely cringed at the bad behavior. Still, our girls thought it was funny and we discussed the behavior issues as we read it. And the ending was certainly fitting.
Jackie
The Sweet Tooth is demanding and wants his treets. When Stewart wants to be good and eat a healthy diet, the sweet tooth goes bananas!...He demands his sweets....cookies, candy, cake. Then the tooth is loose and falls out! Now it is the tooth fairy's problem.

Used for "Let's Go to the Dentist" storytime- January, 2010.
Melissa
Every child can relate to Sweet Tooth, because at some point every child has had a "Sweet Tooth". This book is about an evil sweet tooth who causes a young boy to get into a lot of trouble at school and on the baseball field. This book will make you and your students laugh from start to finish!
Sharon
Teaching a child willpower may prove difficult. But with a little help from "Sweet Tooth", anything is possible. You too will find that with determination and a little will power, no matter how big or small, you CAN change things for the better. Have fun with it!
Linda
What a great example of voice and personification! I love to read this book out loud and shared it often when I was teaching! Older students could create their own story about other body organs to display creativity and knowledge! Laugh out loud read aloud!
A hilarious book about a tooth that demands sweets. He rules the diet of a little boy, until one day.... Children will love this book. It is great for talking about dental health and for interactive read alouds.
Sephire
This is a good book. It is about a little boy who has a very evil sweet tooth that gets him into a lot of trouble with all of the sweets that it want. In the end he ends up getting rid of that tooth. A good book.
Erica Leach
The books animations to me were scary looking. Yes the book was kind of funny and teaches that you should eat healthy or you will have a sweet tooth. Honestly though this wouldn't be a book to recommend to read.
My husband read this to our daughter repeatedly when she was in early grade school. He had a voice for the tooth that was absolutely hysterical. This is an excellent read aloud (especially if you do funny voices).
Travis Pratt
My son got this as one of his birthday presents. It is a cute little story about one bad tooth. He really liked it, especially when I did the voice for the tooth. Great book to read to your little one(s.)
Brooke
Mar 17, 2010 Brooke added it
Funny story about a tooth that causes it's owner to get into trouble. With the pictures and entertaining story this is a book that kids of all ages will enjoy.
Nora
Nov 15, 2013 Nora rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: jp
Stewart's sweet tooth is out of control, and it keeps getting him into trouble. So he brings out the big guns--a carrot!

*Love it! Great for a healthy eating story!
Michelle
In this funny book, a boy struggles and fights with his sweet tooth that talks to him. This would be a good book during dental hygiene awareness month.
Kendra
I read this to some third graders for a lesson and they really enjoyed the book. They loved what the sweet tooth was saying in the story.
This is a cute story about a boy who fights the urge to give into his sweet tooth. Perfect to talk about the importance of dental hygiene.
Angie
May 14, 2007 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: k-2
This is a really funny read-aloud for school age kids. Really ham up the sweet tooth's voice and you are sure to get a lot of laughs!
Jenny Forgay
The writing in the story really brings you in with Stewart. This would be a great book to use during Dental Awareness week.
Lisa
This is a wonderful book. I like to read it to my grandchildren and do the voices. They giggle all the way through the story.
  • Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum