Start by marking “Funny Accent: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Funny Accent: A Novel

Funny Accent: A Novel

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Funny, sophisticated and fiercely intelligent, 32-year-old Anna Schopenhauer has one weakness: men old enough to be her father. Heading home to Scarsdale for her father's 70th birthday party, she wants to break the pattern and plots revenge on a family friend--the first older man in her life--about whom she has written a recently published short story in The Atlantic Month ...more
Published June 2nd 2001 by Picador

To ask other readers questions about Funny Accent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Funny Accent

Leanna
Just finished reading this and thought it had some thought provoking chapters. The beginning of the book kept me attentive as you find out about Anna's published story. I liked that she was not frail from her early childhood experiences and was attempting to make some sense out of her life's journey. I didn't really find that I had anything in common with the characters, but even though I couldn't relate the author's style of writing kept me interested.
The evolution of the lives of these people
Rose
Thoroughly interesting. Frank, wry and strangely sincere, though the ending left me feeling a bit at loose ends. The mild lack of resolution fit the tone of the entire novel though, and it's grown on me the more I've thought about it. It's like real life; things happen, and eventually you move on, because hey! things keep on happening. I got a few days' musing out of this story, and I love when that happens. It's great when a story sticks in your head.
Ian Victor
Aug 14, 2007 Ian Victor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pam
Shelves: archive
I loved the sardonic conversations between all the characters. Every dialogue was witty, clever and oozing with sarcasm. It's a book about relationships - mother and daughter, father and daughter, husband and wife, boss and subordinate, mistress and lover, rapist and victim.

Very good read
Elysabeth
I liked this book, though I felt frustrated at the pace. Not much happened, but a LOT was revealed.

It was a deeply philosophical book...more than I thought it would be. That was a pleasant surprise.
Christine Robles
Christine Robles marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Melody Arceneaux
Melody Arceneaux marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Mayuri
Mayuri marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2012
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2012
Truthmonkey
Truthmonkey marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2010