Start by marking “Relatively Famous” as Want to Read:
Relatively Famous

Relatively Famous

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  1,412 ratings  ·  152 reviews
Relatively Famousdelivers Hollywood with heart...High school freshman Dani McKinley's world is rocked when she finds out that she is the daughter of B-list actor and notorious womanizer Mark Ocean. Mark is all too eager to get his acting career back on track, so he follows his agent's advice about cleaning up his image and invites his "new" daughter to spend the summer wit ...more
Published July 28th 2010 by Createspace (first published June 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Relatively Famous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relatively Famous

oliviasbooks
2.5 stars. You like those simple, California-based teen romance movies in which a former no-name girl falls in love with the wrong guy first, gets enveloped into the rich-people-fold, makes everbody ultimately happy and eliminates everybody's problems? Then you'll like this book, although it is even more predictable and a little less dramatic. Hollywood chicklit. Nothing more.

If you are on the lookout for a better mid-thirties-guy-gets-to-know-his-teenage-daughter-story, I recommend Dinner for T
Jim Thomsen
Author Jessica Park, known for the cuisine-centric cozy mysteries she penned with her mother, Susan Conant, makes two successful debuts here — as a Young Adult author and as a self-published e-book author.

"Relatively Famous" is breezy summer fare that should tickle young teen girls with its tantalizing, authoritative and often hilarious glimpses at beach fashion, the B-film industry and, of course, hot boys. And fifteen-year-old Dani McKinley, the story's central character, makes for a pretty g
Kathryn
Check Out Author's Interview !!

I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked this book !
It started as shallow, obnoxious and tragically filled with too much Hollywood, for my taste. But it turned out to be much more than that of course.
It talks about change, friendship, forgiveness, and most of all growing up.

I couldn't help but wonder how the author was going to play out the scene. I guess I'm just one of those who hates tabloids on the outside and secretly loves to sneak on celebrities on t
Diana Francis
This one just wasn't as good as Flat-Out Love. One of the problems is that the biggest plot issue is completely overlooked in the end. It simply isn't dealt with and that's frustrating.

I also thought this was really choppy, too much head hopping, and the end just wasn't satisfying. I felt there were probably too many plot threads and not enough character development. I was disappointed, sadly. Damn.
Jessi
I really enjoyed reading this book - it was a fast, fun read that had me completely spellbound the entire time. I would have read it straight through in one day if I'd had the time to do so. Everything just flowed so naturally and entertainingly. This is the perfect lay-in-bed-and-read book.

The plot also really intrigued me. I loved the idea of a girl discovering that her father is a famous movie star. What girl wouldn't fantasize about the idea of suddenly becoming famous? I loved seeing how Da
Jai | Not A Book Snob
Books
I was delighted when this book was free for download and promptly loaded it on my kindle to read at a later stage. I’ve seen so many glowing reviews of “Flat Out Love” by Jessica Park, and though I haven’t read it yet, I was excited to start with “Relatively Famous”. Ten percent into the kindle version of “Relatively Famous” I was already disappointed and rolling my eyes like crazy.

In short, this book was honestly and one hundred percent not for me. I can hardly muster up any praise for it. I t
Wanda (Good Choice Reading)
"Relatively Famous" was a sweet and entertaining read. It's a story about a young teenage girl Dani McKinley that is raised by her single mom who shows a lot of respect to her mom and her mom's boyfriend. Which is surprising, because let's face it. Teenage girls now a days, have nothing but attitude problems. So Dani is your typical teenager who has a best friend and both are a little boy crazy.
Then one day the carpet was snatch from under her feet when she began having paparazzi's chasing her
Sam
I decided to read Relatively Famous after falling in love with Jessica Park when I read Flat-Out Love. I never wanted Flat-Out Love to end and thought that I might find the same connection with another book written by Jessica Park. I love her style of writing...she's funny and writes intelligently, but also knows how to pull at your heartstrings. I found that I really liked Relatively Famous, just not as much as Flat-Out Love. RF is a very easy read (like 1 day easy read) and is a very sweet sto ...more
Michelle
I might've given this 2.5 stars if that was an option, but I can't quite manage to round that up to 3 overall. The writing is so simplistic to start, and there is no real hook to keep you reading for a while. However, I was curious about the story line still, and I had read another book by Jessica Park that I thought was good. So, I kept going. It wasn't a great book, but it wasn't awful. I just didn't really feel any connection to the characters. They were just there, and moving about as the au ...more
Jami Leigh
Plot: 1 1/2 stars
Characters: 1 1/2 stars
Style: 2 stars
Pace: 2 stars

In my attempts to read more self-pub and contemporary YA, I picked this up as a freebie. Guess you get what you pay for, in this case. Predictable, trite, and rather dull. Dani's as Mary Sue as they come, with always just the right answers when she needs them, and just enough plot induced stupidity to not realize it and have easily resolved mistakes. Stylistically, dialogue was stiff, awkward, and too on the nose. Ended up serio
Rachelle
Dani McKinley finds out that she's related to action star Mark Ocean when the paparazzi start taking photos of her going to school. Mark Ocean denies the rumors of having a daughter until his agent saw Dani as an opportunity for him to get the roles he truly deserves. So he treats Dani to summer vacation to California for a chance to get to know one another. Mark may have his own motives but his daughter's charm is something he can't resist and can't help but love her.

This took me maybe 5-6 hou
Sweetdulci
I first read Flat Out Love by this author, and while the plot became predictable pretty quickly, the characters were engaging and the story unique. Relatively Famous was a bit...meh. I found the characters to be a bit shallow and boring, and I was really just reading to finish the story. On a positive note, Flat Out Love came after this book, so hopefully that's a sign the author is growing and will put out good stories in the future!
Ashley
This was a DNF for me. I couldn't get into the story and all the different viewpoints were giving me a headache. I picked this book up because I loved Flat Out Love, and the writer has changed quite a bit between this one and FOL. Sorry just not for me.
Adele
Woeful.

Sixty pages in decided I couldn't go any further unless a strong editor had made an appearance. She has a fun voice but it just didn't work with the chaotic and shallow nature of the perspectives. Disappointing.
Shari
I read this because I liked Jessica Park's other book "flat-out love" but this book I could never get into. Usually I like books written for 15 year olds but not this one.
Helena
1.5 stars.

I'll give it an extra half a star for the Joshua Jackson reference. Other than that it was very predictable and poorly written. Another one to the 'meh' pile.
Brooke
A simple, quick read

The story is a great one, the execution not so much. It felt rushed, as if the author had too many ideas that she was trying to shoehorn into the story. It jumps from one plot point to the next without fully realizing them. It almost reads more like an outline than a complete novel. It did have its positives, the story idea is great, the characters are likeable. I just wish there was more detail, more meat on the bone. It's a fun, quick read, best suited for the teenage read
Misbah
Bleh. Good story line ruined by flat characters and terrible writing.
Liz
Young adult novel. Shallow; pat resolutions... there are better YA novels out there.

The premise is cute: average 15 yr old kid finds out that her biological father is really a famous action movie star. She spends the summer with him in Hollywood and meets other, surprisingly nice, Hollywood kids. But then Dani finds out that her father isn't all that he seems and there are a few other revelations that seemed shocking to me, but ended up being glossed over to reach a really pat happy ending.

Kari Anderson
One day she wakes up normal, a freshman in high school, ready for summer break. The next day, there is paparazzi all over her school telling Dani she is the daughter of a famous actor. She’s never known her dad and has always been told he didn’t want a part in her life. The bombshell Mark Ocean immediately responds Dani is not his daughter, but changes his mind, with his career in mind.

So Dani is headed to California for the summer where she is set up with the prettiest, richest girls she’s ever
Tammy
When an ordinary small-town girl meets her famous father for the first time, a whole new and exciting world is about to unlock its doors for her. The question is, at what cost?

Relatively Famous by Jessica Park
Dani McKinley is a typical teen who lives a perfectly normal, uncomplicated and relatively simple life in Michigan. With a fabulous mom, said mom's chef boyfriend and her best friend Samantha, Dani couldn't ask for anything more.

The problem with normal, however, is that it never stays the s
aobibliophile™
And my dad, you're a great actor but you're a better father. - Angelina Jolie

It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was. - Anne Sexton

Danielle McKinley is a typical fifteen-year old and lives comfortably with her mother Leila and Leila's boyfriend Alan in Michigan. everything is routine but not boring or tedious for her until she learns that her absentee father is Mark Ocean - a famous-but-soon-to-be-not-famous action star. Mark needs to jump start his career if he wis
Misha
Relatively Famous was such a fun and enjoyable read. I read this book in half a day without a break in between. From start to end , Relatively Famous is unputdownable and fast-paced. This is a book which you can read while relaxing - a light, fun read.

Isn't it every girl's dream, to discover one day, that you are not "ordinary" after all?To discover that you are the daughter of a famous movie star! Needless to say , the plot was very intriguing.
One of the best things about the book is the way th
Kristin
Though this is more like a 2.5 star book for me, I gave it 3 because I just feel like it wasn’t a bad book, it was just too young for me. However, it was free with my Amazon Prime trial and I thought it looked cute (though I didn’t realize the main character was only fifteen, though soon to be sixteen, or else I might’ve passed on it) so I figured I’d give it a go.

If what you think you’re looking for is a bit of fluff about a small-town girl (that’d be Dani McKinely) who’s thrust into the Hollyw
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
I thought this was a really cute book, almost like a novel version of a chick flick, and I mean that in a good way. It involves LA, fame, and riches, but it has a lot of heart. Is some of that heart served with extra cheese? Yes, at times, but I was looking for a light, enjoyable read when I read this, and that’s exactly what I got.

There are a few moments that felt a bit stiff, but nothing absolutely horrible. Things between Dani and Nathan should have progressed more slowly and been flushed out
Marian
Short Introduction: Dani has never known her father, but since she's so close to her mother's boyfriend, not knowing her father isn't a big deal. She already has a father figure in her life. The only problem is that her mom is keeping a big secret from her. The true identity of her father is Mark Ocean, an actor known for his outrageous movies and an even more outrageous personal life.

When the truth comes out, the paparazzi immediately come after Dani. Mark denies it at first, but after careful
Jennifer Monzon
This book was interesting. By far the first story I have read that could be true if it’s not already. I was a little irritated thought with Leila the mother of Danielle and how she kept the secret of the true identity of her father. In my opinion, I felt that it was a decision that was not hers to make and should have thought about her daughter first instead of the father. But I can understand the reason behind it, although I did not agree. The way that Sam, Danielle’s best friend went behind he ...more
Ambur
This was an amazing and an adorable story. It was fast-paced, with some wonderful characters. It was just the book I needed right now. For Dani it was perpetually sunny in California and right now for me I'm seeing snow.
I loved how Jessica added elements of Hollywood and LA that we all associate with movie stars and other celebrities. The paparazzi, the restaurants where they get 'spotted', the agents, the parties...I was swept up in the LA lifestyle just as much as Dani was, although I may hav
Anas Attic  Book Blog
I read this book because Flat-Out Love was one of my favorite books of the year. This one was sweet, quick and fun, but not in the same league. It was DEFINITELY YA. I teach middle school and would suggest this book to even my youngest girls. What teenager doesn't fantasize about this kind of thing? It was a young girl's Cinderella story.

One thing I really liked was that the author didn't portray the Hollywood girl crowd as total bitches that you MUST keep up with. I found that very refreshing.
Young Adult Conte...: #15 Relatively Famous by Jessica Park 2 18 Nov 06, 2013 02:56PM
The Hidden Review...: Relatively Famous [Jessica Park] 4 52 Sep 05, 2013 02:57AM
The Free Book Cha...: Relatively Famous, by Jessica Park 3 16 Jan 05, 2013 09:59PM
Relatively Famous 1 6 Aug 11, 2012 09:51AM
  • Undercover Heat
  • Never Ceese (Thirsting for Blood, #1)
  • The Darkest of Shadows
  • The Firelight of Maalda
  • Miss Me Not
  • Nothing Bad is Going to Happen (No One Else Can Have You, #2)
  • Taking Flight
  • Kicking Eternity (New Smyrna Beach #3)
  • Playing at Forever
  • Coming Home (Jackson Falls, #1)
  • Butterfly Kisses (The Butterfly Chronicles, #2)
  • I Won't Give Up
  • Necessary Detour
  • Fed Up (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #4)
  • Beautiful Things Never Last
  • Nothing Else Matters
  • Dance Of The Goblins (The Goblin, #1)
  • Spectacle
Jessica Park is the author of the young adult novels FLAT-OUT LOVE and RELATIVELY FAMOUS; five Gourmet Girl mysteries (written as Jessica Conant-Park with her mother, mystery author Susan Conant); and the e-shorts FACEBOOKING RICK SPRINGFIELD and WHAT THE KID SAYS (Parts 1 & 2).

Jessica grew up in the Boston area and attended Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. After spending four year
More about Jessica Park...
Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1) Left Drowning Flat-Out Matt (Flat-Out Love, #1.5) Flat-Out Celeste (Flat-Out Love, #2) Clear: A Death Trippers Novel