Mercy (Lost City Shifters, #1)

Mercy (Lost City Shifters #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  20 reviews
To the Yaguara, an ancient jaguar shape-shifting people living deep in the Amazon jungle, nothing matters more than strength. Iada is their champion; genetically pure, she has been trained since birth to fight. Her destiny is to become the next Queen of the Yaguara by winning the tournament of succession--a battle to the death.

Her opponent is Gabriel, a half-blooded outcas...more
Published September 6th 2010 by Carina Press (first published September 2nd 2010)

Paranormal Haven
Iada is the strongest warrior among the Yaguara, jaguar shape shifters that live in the Amazon jungle. The Yaguara king has died and a tournament is being held. Iada is poised to be the next queen. All she needs to do is beat the half blood outcast Gabriel and the crown is hers but to every one's surprise, Gabriel bests Iada and by sparing her life he makes her his queen.

It isn't long before Iada and Gabriel consummate their mating but their distrust of one another is ever present. With each enc...more
♫♥✿LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ (Chasity)
Dangerously sensual, enthralling debut novel by Eleri Stone is sure to satisfy your reading taste buds.

The world setting of Mercy transplants readers from a cozy couch to deep in the jungle. It is the very place where the Yaguara (Shapeshifting Jaguars) thrive- among the lush greenery and powerful wild life.

Iada is the heroine that takes the cake for me. She is robust in heart, mind and body. The perfect trifecta. For years after the death of her parents, Iada had been trained as a lethal weapo...more
Jan
It's more than ok, but I didn't like it unconditionally. I don't know.

There was so much promise here. An amazing world and excellent worldbuilding. I loved how the Yaguara weren't powerful, nor well-integrated, but were rather insular and conservative. How refreshing compared to all those shifter stories where those communities are always strong-knit and powerful and wealthy and so on. Not here. For instance, I really liked that the halfbleeds lived in the slums, such an incredible original twi...more
Stella
My Thoughts: I picked up Mercy (besides its gorgeous and alluring cover) because the premise sounded interesting, and true to that promise, it was a good story with complex, layered characters. Both the main characters (Iada and Gabriel) as well as some supporting characters were interesting and 3D characters, showing great potential and depth, that unfortunately was not exploited as well as it could have been due to length limitations.

Maybe I'm s bit critical with Mercy, but only because after...more
Emily
Mercy has all the ingredients for a good shapeshifter romance: a cool setting, an entire culture that serves as the setting for the book, mystery, intrigue, chemistry, the works. Maybe it was because the book was only 96 pages or maybe it was because it took me a little while to warm up to the starring couple, but at the end of the day the overall effect of this book did not live up to my expectations.

As individuals, Iada and Gabrial are fine. Iada is trying to navigate an endless web of doubles...more
Once Upon
This book is going on my favorites pile. It was an amazing story. the dialogue was unique, suspenseful, erotic and exciting to read. It's a book that once you start you can't put it down. That is exactly what I did! It was a short story but it was entertaining all the way from the beginning to the end.

They have shape shifters who change into Jaguars. There's pure breed jaguars and half human jaguars called mutants. The mutants are the enemy. With the King dead, there's competition between Iada,...more
Jennifer Monzon
Tara Chevrestt
This was a short, but entertaining read with an intriguing story line. In the Amazon jungle, there lives a secret society of shape shifters. They can go from human to jaguar and back. Iada is one of the most powerful of these jaguar people and her uncles have groomed her to take over the kingdom. When her uncles say, "jump," Iada asks, "how high?" They have her under control.. or think they do.

In order to obtain control of the kingdom, Iada must first win a fight. Until now she has been unbeatab...more
Anita
Kim
Mercy opened with Iada preparing for what could be the fight of her life. The former king dead, Iada has been groomed since she was a little girl for the fight that would make her the next Queen of the Yaguara. The Yaguara are a secret tribe of shape-shifting jaguars in the Amazon jungle who value nothing as much as they do strength. To them, anyone other than a genetically pure shifter is not worth anything. Yaguara who mate with humans or mutants are exiled without a second thought. But Iada f...more
Habrewer
Mercy by Eleri Stone
* I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Iada's parents were killed when she is younger and she was raised by her uncle's. She was trained to fight from a very young age so she would be ready to take her place as Queen of the Yaguara when the time came. She's really never been her own person or able to make her own decisions, she's always been her uncle's pawn.

Gabriel has been studying his Yaguara heritage with the help of a full bloode...more
Carien
Oct 17, 2010 Carien rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pnr
A surprisingly well rounded story for a novella. There's lots of hot, steamy romance, but the action storyline that frames this romance is well worked out as well. I liked that you got to see in both Gabriel's as Iada's thoughts so you can root for them both.
The whole Yaguara society sounds really cool, but as a large part of the story takes place outside of the Yaguara city it is only hinted at. So if I have one thing to say against this story it's that it makes me hungry for more Yaguara and...more
Nicole Luiken
Devoured this one in an afternoon. Hot romance and strong, sympathetic characters. Iada was raised in the jaguar-shifter culture by her evil uncles and learned to be distrustful. Gabriel was raised human and is much warmer. The difference in cultures makes for strong tension on both the political/plot level and the romance level as they have to learn to trust each other. Added the sequel, Redemption, to my wish list.
J.K. Coi
I really enjoyed this short shifter story--although I wished it was longer in order to flesh out the world building and the characters histories some more. That was too interesting to fully appreciate in such a short piece. Even so it was well worth the read and I'll keep my eye out for more of Ms. Stone's work.
K
The book starts with Iada, a highly trained fighter and jaguar shapeshifter, going into battle with half-breed outcast Gabriel for rule over the Yaguara. I won't give too much away but the enemies to lovers theme evolves well and I found this story to be one of the better novellas I read in quite a while.
Vicci
Complete Review Available At:

Review Excerpt:
Mercy by Eleri Stone is erotic in its encounters and sexually explosive in its intensity as a story of forbidden love and prejudice unfolds.
Christina
This one was short. I liked how Stone built the Yaguara world. I liked Gabriel. I was kind of annoyed my one big inconsistency between the beginning and the end of the story with Iada ability to heal. I may be tempted to read more of this series.
Deelylah Mullin
I really liked this story! Jumping in for second title in series now!
Gia
A good quick read
Pien
Pien added it
Jul 06, 2014
noemi
noemi marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Shokwhai
Shokwhai marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Heather Schwandner
Heather Schwandner marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Stacey Lee
Stacey Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Panther's Lair
  • No One Lives Twice (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #1)
  • Hunting Human (Prime Legacy, #1)
  • Don't Bite the Messenger
  • Alien Revealed (The Confederacy Treaty, #1)
  • The Purrfect Plan (Australian Shifters, #1)
  • Primal Hunger (Pendragon Gargoyles, #1)
  • On The Prowl
  • Fierce in Fur (Ridgeville, #4)
  • Melody's Wolf (Lyric Hounds, #1)
  • White Wolf (White Wolf, #1)
  • Winter Wishes
  • Demon's Fall
  • Inhuman
  • Foxy Lady (Cougar Falls, #3)
  • Blood Moon
  • Assassin's Touch (Iron Portal #1)
  • Rourk (Keegan's Chronicles, #3.5)
4193895
I’m an author but I use Goodreads primarily to keep track of the books I've read and to find new ones. I’m always on the lookout for good fantasy romance – traditional or urban fantasy with a strong romantic subplot and paranormal romance with solid or unusual world building.
More about Eleri Stone...
Redemption (Lost City Shifters, #2) Demon Crossings (Twilight of the Gods, #1) Reaper's Touch Witch Bound (Twilight of the Gods, #2) Threads of Desire