Start by marking “Mercy (Lost City Shifters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mercy (Lost City Shifters, #1)

Mercy (Lost City Shifters #1)

To the Yaguara, an ancient jaguar shape-shifting people living deep in the Amazon jungle, nothing matters more than strength. Iada is their champion; genetically pure, she has been trained since birth to fight. Her destiny is to become the next Queen of the Yaguara by winning the tournament of succession--a battle to the death.

Her opponent is Gabriel, a half-blooded outcas
Published September 6th 2010 by Carina Press (first published September 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy

Stephanie  G
Iada is the strongest warrior among the Yaguara, jaguar shape shifters that live in the Amazon jungle. The Yaguara king has died and a tournament is being held. Iada is poised to be the next queen. All she needs to do is beat the half blood outcast Gabriel and the crown is hers but to every one's surprise, Gabriel bests Iada and by sparing her life he makes her his queen.

It isn't long before Iada and Gabriel consummate their mating but their distrust of one another is ever present. With each enc
Emily
Nov 20, 2010 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-books
Mercy has all the ingredients for a good shapeshifter romance: a cool setting, an entire culture that serves as the setting for the book, mystery, intrigue, chemistry, the works. Maybe it was because the book was only 96 pages or maybe it was because it took me a little while to warm up to the starring couple, but at the end of the day the overall effect of this book did not live up to my expectations.

As individuals, Iada and Gabrial are fine. Iada is trying to navigate an endless web of doubles
♫♥✿LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ (Chasity)
Dangerously sensual, enthralling debut novel by Eleri Stone is sure to satisfy your reading taste buds.

The world setting of Mercy transplants readers from a cozy couch to deep in the jungle. It is the very place where the Yaguara (Shapeshifting Jaguars) thrive- among the lush greenery and powerful wild life.

Iada is the heroine that takes the cake for me. She is robust in heart, mind and body. The perfect trifecta. For years after the death of her parents, Iada had been trained as a lethal weapo
Jan
Feb 05, 2011 Jan rated it it was ok
It's more than ok, but I didn't like it unconditionally. I don't know.

There was so much promise here. An amazing world and excellent worldbuilding. I loved how the Yaguara weren't powerful, nor well-integrated, but were rather insular and conservative. How refreshing compared to all those shifter stories where those communities are always strong-knit and powerful and wealthy and so on. Not here. For instance, I really liked that the halfbleeds lived in the slums, such an incredible original twi
Stella
Aug 26, 2010 Stella rated it really liked it
My Thoughts: I picked up Mercy (besides its gorgeous and alluring cover) because the premise sounded interesting, and true to that promise, it was a good story with complex, layered characters. Both the main characters (Iada and Gabriel) as well as some supporting characters were interesting and 3D characters, showing great potential and depth, that unfortunately was not exploited as well as it could have been due to length limitations.

Maybe I'm s bit critical with Mercy, but only because after
Once Upon a Twilight
Oct 13, 2010 Once Upon a Twilight rated it it was amazing
This book is going on my favorites pile. It was an amazing story. the dialogue was unique, suspenseful, erotic and exciting to read. It's a book that once you start you can't put it down. That is exactly what I did! It was a short story but it was entertaining all the way from the beginning to the end.

They have shape shifters who change into Jaguars. There's pure breed jaguars and half human jaguars called mutants. The mutants are the enemy. With the King dead, there's competition between Iada,
Jennifer Monzon
Oct 06, 2010 Jennifer Monzon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
Habrewer
Jan 24, 2011 Habrewer rated it liked it
Mercy by Eleri Stone
* I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Iada's parents were killed when she is younger and she was raised by her uncle's. She was trained to fight from a very young age so she would be ready to take her place as Queen of the Yaguara when the time came. She's really never been her own person or able to make her own decisions, she's always been her uncle's pawn.

Gabriel has been studying his Yaguara heritage with the help of a full bloode
Kim
Oct 25, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
Mercy opened with Iada preparing for what could be the fight of her life. The former king dead, Iada has been groomed since she was a little girl for the fight that would make her the next Queen of the Yaguara. The Yaguara are a secret tribe of shape-shifting jaguars in the Amazon jungle who value nothing as much as they do strength. To them, anyone other than a genetically pure shifter is not worth anything. Yaguara who mate with humans or mutants are exiled without a second thought. But Iada f ...more
Tara Chevrestt
Aug 13, 2010 Tara Chevrestt rated it really liked it
This was a short, but entertaining read with an intriguing story line. In the Amazon jungle, there lives a secret society of shape shifters. They can go from human to jaguar and back. Iada is one of the most powerful of these jaguar people and her uncles have groomed her to take over the kingdom. When her uncles say, "jump," Iada asks, "how high?" They have her under control.. or think they do.

In order to obtain control of the kingdom, Iada must first win a fight. Until now she has been unbeatab
Carien
Oct 17, 2010 Carien rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr
A surprisingly well rounded story for a novella. There's lots of hot, steamy romance, but the action storyline that frames this romance is well worked out as well. I liked that you got to see in both Gabriel's as Iada's thoughts so you can root for them both.
The whole Yaguara society sounds really cool, but as a large part of the story takes place outside of the Yaguara city it is only hinted at. So if I have one thing to say against this story it's that it makes me hungry for more Yaguara and
Nicole Luiken
May 04, 2012 Nicole Luiken rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sfantasy, romance, ebook
Devoured this one in an afternoon. Hot romance and strong, sympathetic characters. Iada was raised in the jaguar-shifter culture by her evil uncles and learned to be distrustful. Gabriel was raised human and is much warmer. The difference in cultures makes for strong tension on both the political/plot level and the romance level as they have to learn to trust each other. Added the sequel, Redemption, to my wish list.
K
The book starts with Iada, a highly trained fighter and jaguar shapeshifter, going into battle with half-breed outcast Gabriel for rule over the Yaguara. I won't give too much away but the enemies to lovers theme evolves well and I found this story to be one of the better novellas I read in quite a while.
J.K. Coi
Jun 21, 2011 J.K. Coi rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short shifter story--although I wished it was longer in order to flesh out the world building and the characters histories some more. That was too interesting to fully appreciate in such a short piece. Even so it was well worth the read and I'll keep my eye out for more of Ms. Stone's work.
Christina
This one was short. I liked how Stone built the Yaguara world. I liked Gabriel. I was kind of annoyed my one big inconsistency between the beginning and the end of the story with Iada ability to heal. I may be tempted to read more of this series.
Vicci
Complete Review Available At:

Review Excerpt:
Mercy by Eleri Stone is erotic in its encounters and sexually explosive in its intensity as a story of forbidden love and prejudice unfolds.
Deelylah Mullin
Apr 03, 2013 Deelylah Mullin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
I really liked this story! Jumping in for second title in series now!
Sunny
Raven_23
Raven_23 rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Feather Sky
Feather Sky rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2016
Christopher Ormond
Christopher Ormond rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Glenda Bettin
Glenda Bettin rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2016
Memrie
Memrie rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2011
Mashkai
Mashkai rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2011
Christine Bell
Christine Bell rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2011
Karen Harris
Karen Harris rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
Nichole ~Bookaholic~ rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Heart's Sentinel (Terra's Guardians, #1)
  • The Panther's Lair
  • Once Bitten (Spellbound Moon, #1)
  • Born Cheetah (Shifting Crossroads, #7)
  • Hunting Human (Prime Legacy, #1)
  • Hounded (Shifter Town Enforcement #1)
  • Serengeti Lightning (Serengeti Shifters, #3)
  • The Purrfect Plan (Australian Shifters, #1)
  • Alien Revealed (The Confederacy Treaty, #1)
  • Don't Bite the Messenger
  • The Favour (Corporate Wolves #1)
  • Hidden Talents (Hidden, #1)
  • Healer's Choice (Ghostland World, #3)
  • Alpha's Mate (Denver Pack, #1)
  • Taking Care of Business
4193895
Eleri Stone is a RITA-nominated author of fantasy and paranormal romance. Born and raised in New Jersey, she now lives in Iowa with her husband and their three children. All of her stories have some element of speculative fiction to them and they all end with a happily-ever-after.
More about Eleri Stone...

Lost City Shifters (3 books)
  • Redemption (Lost City Shifters, #2)
  • Rebellion (Lost City Shifters, #3)