Start by marking “Death of an Addict (Hamish Macbeth, #15)” as Want to Read:
Death of an Addict (Hamish Macbeth, #15)

Death of an Addict (Hamish Macbeth #15)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  2,451 Ratings  ·  144 Reviews
From the author of the Agatha Raisin television series...DEATH OF AN ADDICT: A Hamish Macbeth MysteryFormer drug addict Tommy Jarret rents a Scottish chalet to check out reports of a sea monster. But when he is found dead of an apparent drug overdose, constable Hamish Macbeth suspects foul play. Teaming with Glasgow Detective Inspector Olivia Chater, Macbeth goes undercove ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Warner Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Death of an Addict, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jerry
Jul 02, 2013 Jerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We’re not surprised at the mixed reaction to “Addict”, the 15th entry in the charming light mystery series featuring Constable Hamish Macbeth and his Highlands Scotland village of Lochdubh. Most all these stories feature an unusual murder that Hamish eventually solves, mostly through sharp wits and everyday common sense, often to the dismay of his police superiors who thinks he’s an unambitious dolt. However, the familiar townsfolk and places are thrown aside in this particular tale, as Hamish p ...more
Ellie
Jun 07, 2011 Ellie rated it it was amazing
Death of an Addict is a different kind of contribution to M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth mystery series. Police Officer Macbeth's sleepy Scottish village of Lochdubh officially enters the present as drugs and drug-dealers enter in the form of a young man who comes post-rehab to Lochdubh to write his cautionary memoirs-& then turns up dead of an overdose. The police are satisfied that he died of an accidental od: except, that is, for Hamish Macbeth, who has a feeling something's not quite right ...more
Kelsey Hanson
Dec 12, 2015 Kelsey Hanson rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Definitely not my favorite Hamish MacBeth novel. This book kinda turned him into both a sexist jerk and a pathetic desperate single guy. I thought Olivia was a nightmare and Hamish is starting to have a revolving door of women in these novels. I also don't think THAT many people would find Hamish weird for not wanting a promotion. That's actually a fairly normal response when people don't want to uproot themselves for a job. Pretty disappointing, but a quick read.
Rachel
Jun 19, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: scottish, mystery
I find Hamish Macbeth stories to be totally soothing. The characters are so fantastic and the murder mysteries always intriguing. This was another great story.
writer...
The Hamish Macbeth Mysteries #15
Author: M.C. Beaton
Reader: Shaun Grindell
Length 5.8 hrs • Unabridged
2014 by Blackstone Audio, Inc.

Hamish uses his 2 weeks off the beat in the Scottish Highlands to pursue drug lords following the death of a young drug addict. Hamish takes an unexpected step into the drug world impersonating a druglord then realizes his need for department assistance to back his claims. A female Detective Inspector is sent out from headquarters. They head to Amsterdam, making acq
The Flooze
May 22, 2016 The Flooze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I understand from reviews that many readers are disappointed to find Hamish away from Lochdubh for most of this book. For me, it was rather exciting to see Hamish completely out of his element.

Though we know he can charm and fib his way out of most anything on his own turf, this time we get to see Hamish rise to the challenge of a much more complicated investigation - one that costs a lot of money and manpower. He comes out of it with mixed results, the negative ones reinforcing that at heart h
Lynn
May 16, 2016 Lynn rated it liked it
I reach for a Hamish Macbeth book when I want to read something light and entertaining. This is the 15th book in the series and I have read all of the previous books. This book was just ok for me and perhaps one of the my least favorite books so far in the series. The idea of Hamish as an undercover International Drug king pin was a stretch for me. I suppose after 14 books the author looks for a new plot for her series that is different than the previous ones.
The character of Detective Chief Ins
C.J. Prince
Apr 23, 2014 C.J. Prince rated it it was amazing
Ah, if you're ready for "Death of an Addict", you've already galloped through fourteen Hamish Macbeth books. And if you don't know who he is, then go back to #1 "Death of A Gossip." Perhaps you'll fall in love with the lanky Scotsman with blazing hair just as I did.

If you're in the reading doldrums, this series will sail you off to the horizon of the Highlands and make you smile. By #15, you already know many of the characters and it's like you've settled in a croft in Lochdubh (pronounced Loch
Helene Harrison
Review - I loved Hamish in this one because it showed a completely different side to him. I really hated Blair in this one, as we got to see just how much he hated Hamish. I also, surprisingly, really liked Olivia and in particular her relationship with Hamish. The mystery started out slowly and unconnected, but by the end, I really loved the story, and I never would have guessed who dunnit this time. The description was also brilliant and easy to visualise.

Genre? - Crime / Mystery

Characters? -
LJ
DEATH OF AN ADDICT (Police Procedural – cozy) – Ok
M.C. Beaton – 15th in series
Drugs come to the Scottish Highlands when a young man is found dead from an apparent overdose. But his parents believe it as murder and ask Constable Hamish Macbeth to investigate.
*** Although Hamish is brighter than he appears, the idea of him posing as a drug kingpin just doesn’t work. And the dialogue is weak in the extreme. It is extremely rare when a television series is better than the books but the BBC series of
Dolly
May 23, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This is an unusual book in the Hamish Macbeth series. Hamish gets caught up in a drug sting operations, going undercover as a married drug lord, wearing fancy clothes, traveling to Amsterdam, and basically getting out of his comfort zone. It wasn't my favorite of the series, but it was a fast, fun read.
Heather
Nov 18, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok
This one really felt like Beaton was just tired to writing Macbeth books, but needed one to fulfill some contractual obligation. So she had this idea for another book and pigeon-holed it into a Macbeth story. Yeah. My least favorite so far.
Patricia
Feb 20, 2010 Patricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
sigh...Would *I* marry Hamish Macbeth if he asked me? I don't know, but I surely would be mightily tempted! This was an enjoyable episode in the series. (listened on audio-book)
Karen
Jun 06, 2011 Karen rated it it was ok
Skip this one. The murder investigation was good, but Macbeth makes ridiculous romantic choices that ruin the whole story.
Selah
I enjoyed the case - it was nice for Hamish to get out of Lochdubh for a bit. The ending was kind of sad. :(
Donna Radcliff
Apr 08, 2010 Donna Radcliff rated it liked it
Not my favorite, too much Miami Vice in the Highlands. Drug Lords, seamy big town crime. Not my cuppa.
Cindy
Oct 29, 2016 Cindy rated it really liked it
like the series..,
Peggy
Jul 07, 2013 Peggy rated it it was ok
Shelves: co-cozy-myster
Enough already. I'm done with series. it just went to unbelievable
Teddi
Jan 22, 2017 Teddi rated it liked it
Not a favorite in this series. The drug kingpin thing didn't ring true at all. And his revolving door of women he naively falls for is getting a bit tired.
Dec 12, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Found depressing.
Eliza
Jan 09, 2017 Eliza rated it liked it
Not the best of M.C. Love the Scottish accent.
Ann
Dec 24, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-liked
Someone could kill Blair in the next books :)
An Odd1
Dec 24, 2014 An Odd1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gad. Since I had cancer diagnosed 2014 Feb 14, I've lost patience for cancer in my fiction. The worst was five cases before half-way. This is another, pulls down my rating, enjoyment.

Scotland September. "It was a good day to be alive" for "lanky red-haired Highland policean" Hamish Macbeth p 7. Crofter Parry McSporran has two trailer long vacation lets. Felicity Maundy is English "save-the-world Greens .. Wispy hair, wispy clothes, big boots, no makeup" "here three months .. Writes poems" p 11.
Kathleen Ray
Sep 24, 2016 Kathleen Ray rated it liked it
This one was not as good as some of the other books in this series. I haven't been reading them in any order so I was surprised there was no dog or cat in this book. I'll keep reading them til I get bored.
The Badger
Jul 24, 2016 The Badger rated it liked it
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
Jasbr
Jan 02, 2016 Jasbr rated it liked it
Shelves: krimi
Da ich mich ja in letzter Zeit zu einem Agatha-Raisin-Fan entwickelt habe, schnappte ich mir im Charity-Shop ziemlich wahllos einen M.C. Beaton-Roman im Glauben, dass dieser auch von Agatha handelt - aber nein: M.C. Beaton ist ein regelrechtes Schreibmonster und so durfte ich in diesem Buch einen ihrer anderen Krimi-Helden, diesmal Harmish MacBeth kennenlernen.
Alle Romane rund um diesen Polizisten spielen in Schottland, in einem eher abgelegenen, aber gemütlichen Örtchen. Das fand ich super, den
Kate
"In the far north, isolation drives some men to drink and shelters others from the temptations of modern life. The drink might explain the reports of a sea monster near the dour village of Drim. The latter led young, recovering addict Tommy Jarret to rent a chalet from a local crofter. Despite the fears of some Lochdubh citizens, Hamish Macbeth didn't believe the fresh-faced lad would go back to drugs willingly ... even when Tommy was found dead, apparently of an overdose.

"Suspecting the Loch Dr
Anna
Oct 03, 2014 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: junk-food
Like the book where Hamish catches notorious criminal Gentleman Jim, this is one of Beaton's more suspenseful stories. Despite several very satisfying scenes, however (such as Hamish's use of a lie to get the Currie sisters in line), there were just as many moments that required considerable suspension of disbelief.

In particular, I was a bit frustrated by the characterization of of Olivia. To my mind, she warmed to and forgave Hamish far too quickly for one to believe -- even in a Hamish Macbeth
Elisabeth
Feb 18, 2015 Elisabeth rated it did not like it
“Death of an Addict” is the 15th Hamish Macbeth murder mystery. Things are looking quiet for local bobby Hamish as there is little crime. Hamish has resorted to calling on local friends to pass his working day. One of those friends, Parry McSporran, has let one of his holiday chalets to Tommy who is a recovering drug addict.
It is not long before Hamish has work to do when Tommy turns up dead from an overdose. The book then goes off at tangent with Hamish seconded to investigate a Glasgow drug ri
Ed
Jun 28, 2015 Ed rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: light Crime fiction fans.
This is my first Hamish MacBeth book. I enjoyed it immensely. It's light in some ways and serious in others. The interwoven plots in this volume kept me guessing.

The opening plot involves the apparent drug overdose death of Tommy Jarrett, a recovering addict. Hamish is unwilling to accept the obvious which leads him into the major plot-line where he pairs up with an attractive Detective Inspector, Olivia Chater, in an undercover operation to trap a gang of drug dealers. They spend a lot of time
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • The Knocker on Death's Door (Felse, #10)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Midnight Pass (Lew Fonesca, #3)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Maigret and the Nahour Case
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)

“Although she far outranked Hamish, she had to wait patiently, because this was Lochdubh, where Hamish Macbeth was king.” 1 likes