Start by marking “Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)” as Want to Read:
Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)

Forest Born (The Books of Bayern #4)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  16,403 ratings  ·  1,857 reviews
Rin, Razo's little sister, is haunted by the Forest she has always loved. When Razo invites her back to the city to be one of Queen Ani's waiting women, she happily accepts...only to end up on the adventure of her lifetime, following the queen, Enna, and Dasha into the countryside in search of a fire-starting enemy that no one can see. As she learns more about the three wo ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published September 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Forest Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forest Born

Tanja
Having grown up in a large family I could instantly identify with Rin. She is the youngest agget-kin and just does not know where she fits. So she imitates. How many of us do this? We try to figure out what our parents, brothers, sisters, friends want us to be and we try to imitate that. Rin was grown up for her age of 15. She was introspective and aware that she is not the only one that matters. Very unlike normal teenagers. I enjoyed this book the most out of the bayern series. I feel like I h ...more
Cara
Dec 14, 2013 Cara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
Shelves: fantasy, series, 2010, siblings
I don't know why every single time I pick up one of these books I'm always surprised that it draws me in so quickly. After I turned the last page I decided right there and then that one day I'm going to re-read the whole series again, and cross my fingers that Shannon Hale will get the notion to make one more. Though I should add, that really like with the other books it can stand alone and ends well.

For the fourth book of Bayern we get to explore the life of Razo's little sister, Rin. Rin is
Laina
I almost feel guilty giving this five stars after reading Shannon's latest blogs on star-ratings, but I can't help myself! This book... oh my goodness. Let me try to put this into words.

Shannon Hale has outdone herself... again. I cannot BELIEVE how much I loved this book! It was different then her other books... so much more internal conflict. I felt like she wrote this book specifically for me; it's taken such a special part in my heart.

The writing was wonderful. Of course. Enough said.

The sto
Anila
I first read this book years ago, as a galley, and I haven't reread it since. In the interval I've changed my own self-perception a lot, both via the 'normal' self exploration of college and via diagnoses for depression and anxiety - so it was weirdly comforting to come back to this book and remember that, years ago before I realized what was going on in my brain, I read Rin's story as an allegory for depression, and that it still holds true now.

I know there are some people who don't find this b
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Another Bayern book, which I wasn't really wild about...but then again I didn't love Enna and River right away, so it might grow on me to be a 4 star review. My problem was that Rin was such a non-character, in the beginning. She is quite literally a shadow who eventually takes form. And it's hard to identify with a shadow. I will not spoil the two big twists Shannon Hale has said not to spoil, because that's just mean. I will say that I felt the book had too many cliches, Isi has a baby, baby i ...more
Josie
Miss Clark
Aug 18, 2011 Miss Clark rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Shannon Hale and Bayern
Lia
Belabored. Drawn out. Page after page saying the same plot piece. Characters re-enacting their same "idiosyncrasies" endlessly--every time they open their mouths. One of the characters was so repetitious and persistent, that I skimmed whatever he said toward the end of the book.

There is also a very strong and frightening co-dependency that is only given a passing nod rather than actually being dealt with. Through most of the book, the main character is addressed in a condescending, mocking, or
Kathy
oliviasbooks
I have to say it: In my personal opinion Shannon Hale is a one-hit-wonder. I truely loved every page of 'Goose Girl', but every other book - with the exception of the middle-grade-targeted 'Princess Academy' maybe - turned out to call for heavy ploughing machinery to get me through. I barely stayed focussed reading 'A Book of Thousand Days', gave up on 'Enna Burning', skipped 'River Secrets' because I didn't own it yet and now abandoned 'Forest Born' around page 88.
There are fairytale elements i
Cheryl
I've said it dozens of times: I don't read series. I've also professed to not be a fantasy reader. Well, Hale builds a world so captivating, adventures so exciting, characters so bewitching, I can't help but want to read more and more of Bayern. Since each book does focus on different characters, and life has a way of going on despite HEAs, Hale could continue. If she decides to, I'll be first in line to get her next book.

Yes, I know, that's not a helpful review. Thing is, you really should hav
Jessica
New gifts are discovered in this fourth Bayern book, as Rin (Razo's sister) takes the center stage. Things come full circle from Goose Girl, with Isi, Enna, Dasha and Rin fighting an old enemy.
Valerie
I didn't think I was going to read the fourth book. I thought it was fine with the third one but Hale is a great writer and I really just couldn't help it. Once I started reading Forest Born I remembered why she is one of my favorite authors.

Rin has a secret and a confusing one at that; Rin herself isn't quiet sure what it is. She doesn't know what is wrong with her; she just knows that something is (its fairly easy to figure out what it is). Rin is constantly copying people’s behavior because
Kathryn
Reading Vacation
REVIEW
In one word. MAGICAL. Forest Born is a captivating ending to The Books of Bayern series.
I absolutely loved the way Hale describes the various gifts. My favorites would be water and wind speaking. They are so graceful and are shown as the least destructive. A magical land where some of the people have speaking abilities is like a fairy tale world.
As always, Hale’s characters are well written. Rin’s innocence is what made her special. Although she possessed two powerful gifts, Rin was asha
Jen
Confession: I bought this book only because they rereleased it in a cover that matches the first three of the series that I already owned. I'm not a fan of the new covers. Maybe it shouldn't matter, but it does. If I'm going to spend money on a book, I'm going to get a copy that looks good.

I read this series somewhat out of order, picking up Enna Burning and reading that before I realized it was a sequel to The Goose Girl. (Gold star to Shannon Hale for writing a series wherein each individual b
Nikki
[Advance Reading Copy:]
What's not to love about Shannon's books? Her gorgeous descriptions and page-turning stories keep me up late every time. I can imagine Rin would be a difficult character to write: unsure of who she is and reflecting other people's personalities when she's around them. But I loved her and was cheering for her the whole time. She felt fifteen, and I know I could have related to her at that age. At the same time, I loved seeing nineteen- and twenty-year-olds Enna, Razo, Dasha
Donna
It pains me to give this one star because I love Shannon Hale and all that she has done to make reading fun for kids. I started this book this morning, and even before the morning was over, I was asking myself, "Why are you still reading this?" So I caved and walked away, which must really say something since I have only walked away from one book so far this year.

All I can offer in the way of a review is that it failed to grab me and pull me in. Rin rubbed me the wrong way to the point where I j
Teri
This book rated more with Enna Burning than with Goose Girl and Water Secrets. It could be that it's the fourth in a series (burnout),or that the character wasn't as appealing (shy and mousy),or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood (needs more violence). Just kidding about that last one - I needed a 3rd thing to round out the sentence. Anyhow! It had plenty of girl power and I always enjoy Shannon Hale enough to neglect many chores while I try to finish her books. Enjoyable read.
Candi
I love Shannon Hale books and this is no exception. It's not quite my favorite as much as Goose Girl but still quite good. The characters are strong, the villain is excellent, exciting story line. I did miss a good love story, but... oh well.
Elizabeth
This was originally posted on my blog.

I thought this book was a perfect ending to the Books of Bayern quartet. It addressed something that I thought was very important, but can't say what because of spoilers. But I loved that Shannon Hale saw that something and decided to write a story around it, because I loved that. Gah! It's always so hard to talk about the books in this series because my favourite parts about them are always spoilers!

I really enjoyed Rin. She's much more internalized than an
Emily Michelle
I liked it more than Enna Burning but less than the other two books in the series. As other reviewers have pointed out, Rin is a difficult character to get into. This is necessary, given that Rin herself doesn't know who she wants to be, but it also means that I was bored by the book until about halfway through.

As with all the books in this series, Forest Born features a heroine struggling with some internal flaw or failing, and Rin's was an interesting one: she knows that she has the power to d
Debbie
I enjoyed the underlying humor in Forest Born, but I was confused by why Rin was acting oddly (her reaction seemed blown out of proportion to the events because the author kept some early, critical events deliberately vague). So I didn't bond with Rin in the first half of the book because I couldn't understand her.

When the author finally revealed what had happened, Rin suddenly became a sympathetic character to me because I knew what a burden she'd been struggling with. But by the time we learne
Claire
Oct 27, 2009 Claire rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8th grade and up-
Recommended to Claire by: Susan- another fan of Bayern
As noted this is book #4 in the Bayern series- I hope they go on and on each book is a treasure in its own way and can stand alone because of the strength of Shannon Hale's writing. All deserve 5 stars, in this case I notched it down because (its just me I'm sure) had to struggle through Rinna's self loathing to continue reading. Faith in the author kept me going to a satisfying conclusion.

Rinna is Razo's (of the wonderful River Secrets #3)adoring young sister. Her innate talent is to truly unde
Angela
Do you ever look at a stack of books and know that at least one of them is probably really great but you just don't know yet that it's really great and you don't want to waste your time on a not-so-great book and so you just don't know which book to choose so you just keep staring at the stack of books and put off reading any of them?

- OR -

Do you ever pick up a book by an author simply because you have loved past books by the author but you don't really know much about this book or you aren't su
Heidi
Miss Bookiverse
Nachdem Enna Burning und River Secrets mich eher enttäuscht hatten, hat mir Forest Born richtig gut gefallen. Ich vermute das Timing hat diesmal einfach gestimmt, zu einem anderen Zeitpunkt hätte ich das Buch auch sterbenslangweilig finden können. Aber dieses Wochenende hat es einfach gepasst. Klar das Buch könnte gut 50-100 Seiten kürzer sein und das Tempo ist wirklich nicht das eines Rennpferdes, aber irgendwie war's trotzdem schön. Der Schreibstil ist ruhig-märchenhaft und als die ganzen Figu ...more
Margaret
Forest Born is the fourth book in the Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale. Shannon is one of my favorite author's so whenever a new book comes out by her, I am excited. The first book in the Bayern series was one of my all time favorites , The Goose Girl. I wasn't that excited about the second and third books in the series. I had high hopes for Forest Born and I was not disappointed.

It is the story of Rinna who grew up in the forest in a big family and doesn't know where she stands in life. She deci
Sheri
I say it every time I read one of her books, but it must be said again... I just adore Shannon Hale. I may not always love her stories, but I truly love the way she writes. She has such wit and is absolutely amazing at bringing me into her stories. I can never get over how connected I feel to her characters, and this one is no different. Truth be told, I had a hard time with the beginning of this story. I felt like it was disjointed, confusing, and just plain didn't flow well. Then I figured out ...more
Ashley
Another great Bayern book from Shannon Hale. I think that this book was stronger than the last one, and fit inside its 'skin' better. I thought that Rin was a wonderful character. I think Hale did fantastic drawing a character who was unsure of herself, and scared of what she could become while still being able to find strength when it was needed. She grew into her skin, and she grew up a lot in this book. One thing I will say though- Enna seems to be a character who is not content with her own ...more
The Nerd Herd: Forest Born 3 10 May 05, 2014 06:00AM
Selia's feelings 3 31 Feb 13, 2012 02:59PM
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • Dragon Kiss (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #7)
  • The Amaranth Enchantment
  • The Princess and the Bear (The Hound Saga, #2)
  • The Thirteenth Princess
  • The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales
  • The Runaway Princess (Runaway Princess, #1)
  • The World Above
  • Palace of Mirrors (The Palace Chronicles, #2)
  • Princess Ben
  • In the Coils of the Snake (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #3)
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's Reveng ...more
More about Shannon Hale...
The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1) Austenland (Austenland, #1) Book of a Thousand Days Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)

“I hate them," Enna said. "Whoever is responsible for making me sleep outside without pillows, I hate them."
Mmm-hmmm...," Dasha said. Rin had noticed that the Tiran girl often had trouble remembering how to speak in the morning.
If Finn were here," Enna continued to mumble as she rewrapped her head cloth, "he'd let me rest my head on his chest at night. Or leg. Or arm. And then he'd find whoever was responsible for the whole sleeping outside with no pillows situation and hold him while I kicked him in the shins.”
83 likes
“The to Cathal was battered and only one wagon wide, with swells of hard earth where mud had frozen during cold ad rainy seasons. Enna tripped often, and cursed each time she tripped, until Dasha said, "Enna, you might watch your language."
Enna grimaced. "I was. You should hear my thoughts.”
45 likes