Start by marking “Earthsong (Native Tongue, #3)” as Want to Read:
Earthsong (Native Tongue, #3)

Earthsong (Native Tongue #3)

In Earthsong, the trilogy’s long-awaited finale, the Aliens have abandoned Earth, taking their technologies with them and plunging the planet into economic and ecological disaster. Devastated, the women decide to take their failed Láadan project back underground, desperately seeking guidance from their long-dead foremothers. The women discover an ingenious solution to the

Published October 1st 2002 by The Feminist Press at CUNY (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Earthsong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earthsong

Jan M
Sep 17, 2010 Jan M rated it did not like it
While I still see the great writing of Suzette, I must admit this book broke my heart. The previous two has some hope for the males and indeed some males acted with common sense in the second one. However, in this one the idea that males are somehow unable to think beyond their "innate programming" which is so inferior to females made me hurt. I do not believe this and the author (or some commentator who helped publish this) does put into her notes how this may seem dated with the changes in soc ...more
Lisa Schmeiser
Apr 01, 2013 Lisa Schmeiser rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I freely admit that the first time I read this book -- badly jetlagged -- I was all, "And now she's gone off the reservation." But a second reading shows that this is the most subtle and brilliant installment in the Native Tongue series, because Haden points out the challenges of trying to reform a society even as external factors shape it beyond recognition over hundreds of years -- all through monkeying with the basic conventions of narrative to point out how fragmented and incoherent intentio ...more
Amy
Feb 27, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good ending to the trilogy. I was expecting a lot more bara (anger, with cause, with someone to blame, but with nothing to do about it) in the book itself, but (view spoiler).

I loved the epilogue (view spoiler)
Iria
Jul 08, 2013 Iria rated it liked it
Uhm... A triloxía ten unha premisa interesante e a desta terceira parte pode gustarlles axs anti-especistas en particular, mais pésalle ben o tempo (é feminismo da segunda onda). Trátase dun feminismo pacífico, binarista, esencialista de xénero, teocéntrico, USAcéntrico e -aínda que loita contra o capitalismo máis atroz- fica nun capitalismo amable.
Lindig
Jun 13, 2009 Lindig rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf, permanent-library
Aaargh! Whole premise of first two books summarily dropped in favor of airy-fairy method of communication. Most irritating!
Jackson
Mar 13, 2017 Jackson rated it really liked it
Whether it was Suzette Elgin who ran out of steam or me, this book was not as enjoyable as the first two. Perhaps that is because it is easier to make a plan than to implement it?
Kelly Wagner
May 20, 2015 Kelly Wagner rated it liked it
When I first read this trilogy, the whole thing was great, I loved all of it. But on re-reading, this volume doesn't wear nearly as well as the other two - and all of them seem sort of dated. The idealization of American Indians, even the men, seems out of place, and the fact that the whole series pretty much assumes that the United States is the only country that counts, and that others don't exist or automatically follow the US's lead on everything, grates on me more now than it did 20 years a ...more
Adam Walker
Nov 03, 2011 Adam Walker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I loved and re-read Native Tongue and enjoyed Judas Rose, but this book just went to the Land of the Stupid People and camped out there. I find it very disappointing when a good author like S.H.E. does that. I have the same issue with Orson Scott Card's Ender stories -- First book BRILLIANT, second book great, then Children of the Mind heads for the Land of the Stupid People at warp 10! Laadan is such an interesting language that it was very disappointing to see how shabbily everything was done ...more
Melissa Ferguson
Native Tongue is one of my favourite books and while Elgin has not lost her ability to write amazing female characters and make you care about characters even if they only appear in a single scene or chapter, I found the concept of audiosynthesis in Earthsong ludicrous. I tried to suspend disbelief, but when one of the characters suggested audiosynthesis might be responsible for our current obesity epidemic my respect for the premise and plot of the book disappeared. I finished the book due to t ...more
Terry
Dec 21, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, music, language
Sing for your supper? The final installment in this trilogy took me down some unexpected roads. It is more fragmented than the first two volumes, told in multiple voices. If the first two volumes were, more or less, feminist in tone, this one exceeds that by exploring the concept of evolution as something still likely to change homo sapiens rather than leaving the species as just another extinction in the dustbin.
David
I really didn't like this as much as the first two books in the trilogy. Whereas they had a plot, this third book was really more a collection of short stories, with little to tie them together. Frankly, it was neither very well edited nor very entertaining, and was missing the thought-provoking ideas of the first two books.
chandra
Jan 14, 2008 chandra rated it liked it
The third book in the the Native Tongue trilogy. It felt really rushed, as it covered several centuries of the future. Could have been a book outside of the trilogy and has very little in common with the first two, which was disappointing, as there were several loose ends I wanted wrapped up. Still, interesting concepts, just kind of scattered.
Lisa H.
May 25, 2011 Lisa H. rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, feminist, fantasy
A gross disappointment after Native Tongue. I suspect Ms. Elgin didn't have much of a plan for the "long game" when she wrote NT, and how she resolved her story in this third volume turned out to be not very satisfying. I re-read Native Tongue and The Judas Rose periodically, but don't even currently own a copy of Earthsong.
Anton
Nov 25, 2007 Anton rated it it was ok
I found it to be a relatively weak ending to an otherwise fascinating trilogy. The timeline jumps far into the future from the first two books and deals with an impending ice-age, and the inability for men to survive on their own, and a final ascendence into a new state of being for humanity. Came across as too heavy handed and no-where near as engrossing as the first two books.
Darla
May 31, 2009 Darla marked it as to-read
I have not read this one. How did that happen? Somehow I missed it, in my Fem Sci Fury of 1997-1998. I think I will have to read them all again, ohhhh goodie. What a wonderful thing to contemplate.

Oddly, this is not listed in the:
Recommended reading from: http://www.feministsf.org/bibs/recomm....
Corissa
May 20, 2013 Corissa rated it liked it
I found this the most scattered of the trilogy. It was still well written and raised interesting points that gave me pause and ignited my imagination, but I didn't find it flowed as well as the others or that the characters were as well rounded and realistic as I had come to expect in the series.
Ryan Mishap
More somber, less detailed and sarcastic. Comes at you with some new-agey type stuff, but is actually an attempt to look at a more earth-based spirituality. Like a lot of trilogy, the last book is the weakest, but you gotta finish it.
Fishface
Jan 18, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it
A good read, as I expected after reading the first two books in the Native Tongue series. Highly recommended.
Sep 14, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok
Sort of lost steam on this one.
Justin
Jan 23, 2009 Justin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently using the pages from this book as fuel for my BBQ chimney starter.
Susan
Apr 11, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
The best of the three, I just wish there were more.
Tyler
Feb 25, 2016 Tyler rated it did not like it
The first two in this series were amazing. This one seems to have been written by a different person with a different storyline. This is essentially the diary of someone losing their mind.
Kelly
Nov 13, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This is one of the few books I own because IT IS SO GOOD! Just re-read it during a bout of sickness and it was absolutely gripping. I am forever grateful o my Aunt Mary for giving it to me.
Dominique
Dominique rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2012
Deidre
Deidre rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2011
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2009
3sm3
Feb 05, 2016 3sm3 rated it liked it
Somehow much more in love with the first two, but it was still good.
Adam
Adam rated it did not like it
Sep 09, 2010
  • The Stars in Shroud
  • The Two of Them
  • He, She and It
  • Memoirs of a Spacewoman
  • Eyes of the Calculor (Greatwinter Trilogy #3)
  • A Door Into Ocean
  • Daughters of Earth: Feminist Science Fiction in the Twentieth Century
Suzette Haden Elgin was an American science fiction author. She founded the Science Fiction Poetry Association, and is considered an important figure in the field of science fiction constructed languages. Elgin was also a linguist; she published non-fiction, of which the best-known is the Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense series.

Born in 1936 in Missouri, Elgin attended the University of California
More about Suzette Haden Elgin...

Native Tongue (3 books)
  • Native Tongue (Native Tongue, #1)
  • The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2)

“The two men sat there together, in the kind of silence that's not empty because it has the thoughts of two longtime friends to fill it.” 3 likes