Start by marking “When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered” as Want to Read:
When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered

When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered

Tens of thousands of women in the U.S. and Canada have laughed, wept, and learned together at Time Out for Women events. Now you can share the spirit of those occasions with these Time Out mini-books. Each contains a favorite presentation designed especially to uplift and teach. When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered offers piercing insights into the Lord's dealings with His ...more
Published May 21st 2006 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered

Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Jul 01, 2013 Erika B. (SOS BOOKS) rated it really liked it
Shelves: spir-tual, moauthor
This book is only about 60 pages but those 60 pages pack a punch! A spiritual punch of course! I loved it! It was a great read for anyone who has ever felt like God isn't hearing you or has bad reception. Favorite part of the book was when Wilcox talked about The Fourth Watch.
"A New Testament day was divided into twelve hours, beginning at six in the morning. The third hour would be nine o'clock, the sixth hour would be noon, and the eleventh hour, though we visualize it as being just before mi
Jenny
May 03, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
Loved this book. Particularly 3 of the insights.

1. The reminder that God only gives good gifts to His children...that sometimes the gift He gives us is not the gift we expected or wanted and we consider it to be a stone instead of bread, a scorpion instead of an egg (Luke 11:11-13). He talks about C.S. Lewis who said there are two types of good...the expected good and the given good. If we aren't careful, we may turn the given good into something bad through our attitudes.

2. He shares the story
Melanie
Feb 27, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
I came across this book at a time in my life when I was discouraged and needed to feel that my prayers were being heard. There's a lot of helpful information in this short book.

It's hard to explain but I like this description from Deseret Book: "The wind was fierce, and the disciples of Jesus had long rowed against it before the Lord finally came to them, walking on the water in the fourth watch of the night-somewhere between 3:00 and 6:00 A.M. In this talk on CD, Michael Wilcox compares this wi
Janene
Sep 22, 2008 Janene rated it it was amazing
I learned that our God is a "4th watch" God. This and many more things. I love listening to it in the car.
Autumn
Jan 06, 2009 Autumn rated it it was amazing
GREAT book!!!!!
Abby
Feb 20, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing
I started taking a class from S. Michael Wilcox recently. He's officially retired from teaching institute, but he still teaches on Wednesday afternoons in a stake center in Draper, just for fun. I was told that he's been teaching there for around 15 years. It fills up in the chapel, and way into the overflow. Mostly it's older people, probably because the time of day (1:30-3:00) is not easy to attend for people with jobs or moms with little kids, or kids in school. And babysitters are all still ...more
Rayni
Nov 01, 2008 Rayni rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone seeking answers to prayers
Recommended to Rayni by: Janene
I don't know that Janene recommended this book to me. It was on the dresser in her bedroom & it jumped out at me. Books & things tend to do that to me.

I read it in one sitting. Rather had to, I didn't want to borrow it & I was only staying at her house one night. It was fantastic & easy to read in one sitting.

Why did I think it was fantastic? For one thing, I've always heard that "faith without works is dead." When we pray, we have to have faith that what we are praying for will
Brittany
Sep 12, 2016 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, lds, religion
I was not expecting to fall in love with this book. I picked it up because it was in a bibliography of another book I was reading, and it's only 62 pages long. Wilcox takes verses of Scripture that I have breezed past a million times before and turns them into beautiful, sweet and very poignant lessons. This very short book is much more than about praying. It is about how the Lord is ever watchful and mindful of us and will turn our bitter tears into wonderful joys. I wish I had the money to buy ...more
Robyn
Mar 14, 2013 Robyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Thanks for the recommendation H. Metcalf. That was a great little 62 page bit of inspiration! He's kinda funny and I'd like to read more of his work.

"SEEM" may be the key word in that title.

-The bad news is "Life Happens". The good news is that it is usually hollowing a place out in our heart for us to be able to receive Gods answers.

-God only gives good gifts! Bad news, they may not be the "expected" gift. Good news, always a good gift.

-God will turn all things in our life to good!

"I am Alpha a
Christi
Mar 03, 2015 Christi rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy, church
This is a very quick read based on a Time Out for Women presentation and other talks he's given, but it is actually very good. There are some silly moments (it's necessarily superficial since it's mostly from talks) but the book is filled with short chapters covering different reasons we may feel our prayers are unanswered. He doesn't go too deeply into anything, so don't expect hard and fast answers. As with any church book, he is just presenting his own thoughts, opinions, and what has helped ...more
Brad Mclaws
Jan 29, 2015 Brad Mclaws rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
This is a tiny book, more like an essay really.

This book was recommended to me as one of the best books someone had ever read on the subject. I found it very unsatisfying. The arguments were weak and I could tear them apart easily. It basically argues that God's approach is to not answer your prayers until the last minute. But this case is weakly constructed by a metaphor that doesn't seem to prove anything and there are so many counter examples to this that I can't see how you can conclude tha
Jaymie
Apr 20, 2016 Jaymie rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommended
I am torn between three and four stars on this one. In places I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book. In others, I like this book. The author's thoughts on the story of the brother of Jared were for me really life-changing. It's a beautiful lesson that we all need to be reminded about. S. Michael Wilcox tells it with a sense of humor that causes one to laugh and then smile sheepishly as they recognize their own self in his slightly irreverent tone. I did feel that the end of the book dragged a bit but I ...more
Barb
Jul 31, 2012 Barb rated it it was amazing
I admit it. I am a Michael Wilcox groupie. My husband and I have listened to his talks on cd for several years. I attended a "Time Out for Women," in which he was one of the speakers. He is one who speaks to my soul. A sister in my ward who is going through some difficult times was given this book, and she said that although it is short, the book was just what she needed, and it gave her some of the answers she had been seeking. I was surprised I had never read it before. I got a copy, and read ...more
Jodi
May 12, 2016 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
This was an incredibly short book, full of short chapters teaching how we need patience when seeking answers to prayers. Each chapter relates a story from the scriptures that helps us understand how the Lord works to answer prayers. One chapter was straight from his TOFW talk I heard a couple years ago and loved. This is an excellent book to help us remember that we are still heard and loved, even if our prayers aren't answered as quickly as we'd like, and helps us understand why the Lord ...more
Rebecca
Apr 16, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: gospel-themes
Michael Wilcox is a great speaker and writer. Some people are great writers and aren't as gifted as speakers. Others can speak but don't excel as writers. So if you get a chance to either read something by Michael Wilcox, or hear him speak - I recommend both.

Michael Wilcox's approach is very tender and sensitive. I like that he is that way - that's really who he is, it's not an act. He's very sincere.

There are answers in this message. I'm not going to give it away. I can just say emphatically
Amelia
Jun 13, 2013 Amelia rated it it was ok
A short blip of a read, this book is a Time Out Classic (meaning Time Out for Women). If you want something short, inspirational, AND funny, opt instead for another Time Out Classic called "Confessions of an Unbalanced Woman," by Emily Watts. I love that book.

"When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered" wasn't horrible - there were worthwhile insights - but I didn't like it. It was overall unhelpful, which is a real problem because most people who pick up this book will be in real need. But most other pe
Amber
Oct 25, 2007 Amber rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
This book my mom recommended to me. I was having a really hard time after my divorce, and nothing was going right. I didnt' want to read the book because most books she lets me read, i learn nothing. as I started out on the book, I didn't like it but I just kept reading, by the end I actually got a lot out of it.
The only thing I didnt' like about it, is there was a lot of scriptural references...I need inspiration from an author. And Its easy to put in references...so thats the only downfall ab
Kris
Oct 22, 2014 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
I have read or heard several versions of this mini book and I've loved them all. A great book to help you remember that our prayers really are heard and answered but in God's time and in his way. Wilcox talks about God as a "fourth watch" God and reminds us that if our prayers aren't answered right away to remember that we are "tight like unto a dish"...we won't sink! Loved this book. If you want to feel a spiritual lift this is the book to read.
Diane
May 25, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
What a unique perspective to the scriptures. God doesn't leave us to fend for ourselves alone, and everything that happens can be to our good if we permit Him to work our lives without "interference" from us.

I could hear myself in his words, and the author's counsel from the scriptures is soothing to my soul. Thank you for writing such a great short book that addresses my concerns on the matter.
Karen
Apr 14, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
This is just a short little book that talks about why the Lord waits sometimes to answer us. He knows we need to grow. Also, a confirmation of a thought I've had before that, even if things may seem in this life and we wonder how it will all be sorted out, we don't need to worry. As long as we live righteously and stay close to Him, eternity will make us happy. We don't need to worry about how or what that means, just that He does know, and it will be wonderful.
Michelle
Oct 12, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church-books
This is a quick short book -- but so good, it gave me a lot to think about. This is actually the transcript for a talk that I have on CD called "The Fourth Watch". I loved listening to it and was excited when someone gave me this book, I started reading and recognized it immediately as the same talk I loved listening to! It only takes an hour or so to read -- I need to re-read it occasionally to be reminded of the important principles taught.
Linda
Aug 31, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
This book really made me think. It touched me in so many ways that I can't describe. It's a very small book with only 62 (or so) pages, but it makes a big difference if you really think about what was written and how it affects our lives and the world we live in. It's a great read with wonderful information.
Stephanie
Mar 13, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those searching for true answers to the unanswered prayers
Recommended to Stephanie by: Given to me anonymously
This is one of my favorite books. So simple, and easy to read. The message is powerful and inspiring. Every time I read it I am calmed. My spirit rejoices at the plan. I often question why life is hard and God "allows" bad things to happen, and this answers so much of that. I am truly glad God is in control and not me.
Suzan
Aug 27, 2013 Suzan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
A very short, but good book, about prayer. He says that we worship "a fourth watch God", referring to an episode in the New Testament where the Lord's disciples were in a boat, during a storm, rowing for several hours, and he let them do that until the fourth watch. He explains that's when and how we receive growth.
Matthew
Nov 09, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written. Fast. Full of hope.

If you struggle to understand Gods love as it applies to your pleadings for help thru prayer, then this book will help. He teaches thru scripture, the patterns of God perfect love and how (and when) God will answer your prayers. A book FULL OF HOPE. every Bishop should learn these principles to help in his calling.
Rina
Jun 26, 2010 Rina rated it it was amazing
This book described the processing of how we receive answers to our prayers, from the timing of them to whether or not it's what we want. It gave very clear examples and seemed to clarify all confusion that can sometimes surround receiving answers to prayers. Whether or not you struggle with this, the book gave some wonderful insights that are great for everyone.
Cathy
Jun 06, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. Often I feel like my prayers aren't getting past the ceiling much less getting answered. This book helped to remind me that the Lord has His own time and all my prayers are being answered just often not as I expected or even recognized. I have re-read this book several times.
Nora
Feb 28, 2013 Nora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
S. Michael Wilcox uses examples of Jesus' behavior from the Bible to illustrate that just because we feel forgotten or abandoned it is not necessarily so. Even Christ's apostles had to row something like 65-70 football fields in a storm, and exhausted all their resources before he stepped in & saved them.
Kymberli
Jan 24, 2008 Kymberli rated it it was amazing
This is a short book written by Michael Wilcox. He helps you see through trying times and reminds you that the Lord is on your side. I have only read bits and peices of it, but it is one I pick up to read when I have had a rough day.
Kathryne
Jul 16, 2008 Kathryne rated it it was amazing
While reading this book I felt hope, something that I hadn’t realized I was missing lately. This is a short and simple book yet contains a powerful message. It reminded me that the Lord loves me, is aware of my situation, trusts me to do my best, and will step in only when I need Him most.
  • Daughters of God
  • Be Thou An Example
  • 21 Days Closer to Christ
  • Life's Lessons Learned: Personal Reflections
  • A Quiet Heart
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation (Divine Guidance, #1)
S. Michael Wilcox is an instructor at the institute of religion adjacent to the University of Utah. A frequent speaker at Brigham Young University Education Week, Michael also conducts tours of the Holy Land, Church history sites, Europe, China, and Central America. He received a bachelor’s degree in English literature from Brigham Young University, a master’s in media from the University of ...more
More about S. Michael Wilcox...

“The Lord tends to come at the moment of great alarm, when we're 'ready to sink into despair.” 11 likes