Start by marking “Fools Crow” as Want to Read:
Fools Crow

Fools Crow

In this astounding book, Frank Fools Crow, Ceremonial Chief of the
Teton Sioux, one of the greatest Native American holy persons, explains
traditions and practices that bring spiritual power to ordinary lives.
Published February 1st 2010 by Council Oak Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Fools Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fools Crow

Wendy
Dec 01, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I had to grab my favorite books to take to an island with me, this would be one of them. Grandfather Fools Crow is genuine, sincere, and open about the life of a holy man.

There are so few books that give you a first-hand account of the kind of life Grandfather Fools Crow lived. He talks about eliminating negative, violent, or evil things from his life. He talks about the importance of daily prayer. And he never preaches. He is simply relating the way he felt compelled to live in order to be
Aaron
Sep 11, 2008 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this some time ago but I do remember it being very entertaining and inspirational.
Cal Thunder Hawk
When looking for useful solutions to apply to ones life, based on Lakhota traditions, it's sometimes helpful to be willing to examine aspects of it from a critical perspective in order to get a clearer picture of it. The spiritual aspects of the traditional Lakhota culture provide a rich heritage which the Lakhota preserve primarily through the Lakhota language.
At the risk of appearing contentious, I focus on the spiritual aspect of the Lakhota from a perspective that neither accommodates the b
Adam Centurione
Mar 25, 2015 Adam Centurione rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fools Crow is a medicine man of the Lakota. This book is filled with some of the most genuine advice i've received. I am grateful to be able to read it, and to have Fools Crow as a teacher. I am grateful that Wakan Tanka told him to shares his visions with us, and that he did so in such a sincere manner.

After reading this book, and then re-reading, I have found that I identify with what Fools Crow teaches more than my own people. this man is a leader for other men, and I would hope that my broth
Brent Werner
Sep 27, 2013 Brent Werner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This compelling account of a Lakota holy man, healer, and civic leader offers profound insight into the social and spiritual realities of the Lakota nation. Insights range from the early reservation period to the time around the Wounded Knee siege of the 1970's, in particular. Fools Crow's story touches the heart with his warmth and love for all people, and his profound dedication to Wakan Tanka (God), Tunkashila (Grandfather), Grandmother earth, and to goodness itself. I would definitely recomm ...more
Kathy  Petersen
Fools Crow's life and philosophy is truly interesting. It was a pleasure and a privilege to become acquainted with his story, especially since I know few American Indians but am sympathetic to their plight and to what I know of their spirituality.

I was mildly annoyed by a certain tendency toward repetition in the book, generally and understandably about issues and events that deeply concerned him; and frankly the writing was rather nondescript. I admit to being relieved to get to the final page
Carolyn
Another really valuable first-hand account of an extraordinary person in a strange and difficult time. Fools Crow was born in 1890, was kept out of the missionary schools, never learned to read, write, or speak English, a traditionalist who somehow managed to retain hold of his identity as well as bridge the old, the new, the Indian, the White worlds.
Esther-maria Lindner
In this recollection of memories and stories from the powerful elder and medicine Frank Fools Crow, one can connect deeply with the power of the mysteries inherent in the lakota traditions and their spirituality. Frank Fools Crow gifts the reader a rare insight into the life and mysteries of the lakota people. This is a book that needs to be honored and his wisdom respected.
Phillip
Apr 17, 2013 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would go well with "Autobiography of a Yogi". The voice of Frank Fools Crow provides an positive example of a man who remained steadfast to life despite its hardships.
Lauren
Mar 30, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: native-american
A must read for those interested in Native culture.
Don Watkins
Jan 08, 2016 Don Watkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-home-library
In my personal library...
Vincent Louis
Sep 21, 2013 Vincent Louis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful.
Iris L.cline
Iris L.cline rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2012
Cyndie
Cyndie rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2008
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2012
Corky Alexander
Corky Alexander rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2007
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2008
Penny
Penny rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2014
Laura rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
David Shaw
David Shaw rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2012
Tammy Gage
Tammy Gage rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Ace Elliott
Ace Elliott rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2017
Shannon R Sopha
Shannon R Sopha rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Tim Countryman
Tim Countryman rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2017
Kevin Hewitt
Kevin Hewitt rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2013
Linda Watkins
Linda Watkins rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
May 13, 2009
Malea Powell
Malea Powell rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2008
  • Prison Writings: My Life Is My Sun Dance
  • One Church, Many Tribes : Following Jesus the Way God Made You
  • Long Life, Honey in the Heart
  • A Story as Sharp as a Knife: The Classical Haida Mythtellers and Their World
  • Rational Mysticism: Spirituality Meets Science in the Search for Enlightenment
  • 500 Nations: An Illustrated History of North American Indians