Start by marking “Fools Crow” as Want to Read:

Fools Crow

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In this astounding book, Frank Fools Crow, Ceremonial Chief of the
Teton Sioux, one of the greatest Native American holy persons, explains
traditions and practices that bring spiritual power to ordinary lives.
Published February 1st 2010 by Council Oak Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Fools Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fools Crow

Wendy
If I had to grab my favorite books to take to an island with me, this would be one of them. Grandfather Fools Crow is genuine, sincere, and open about the life of a holy man.

There are so few books that give you a first-hand account of the kind of life Grandfather Fools Crow lived. He talks about eliminating negative, violent, or evil things from his life. He talks about the importance of daily prayer. And he never preaches. He is simply relating the way he felt compelled to live in order to be
Cal Thunder Hawk
When looking for useful solutions to apply to ones life, based on Lakhota traditions, it's sometimes helpful to be willing to examine aspects of it from a critical perspective in order to get a clearer picture of it. The spiritual aspects of the traditional Lakhota culture provide a rich heritage which the Lakhota preserve primarily through the Lakhota language.
At the risk of appearing contentious, I focus on the spiritual aspect of the Lakhota from a perspective that neither accommodates the b
Aaron
I read this some time ago but I do remember it being very entertaining and inspirational.
Brent Werner
This compelling account of a Lakota holy man, healer, and civic leader offers profound insight into the social and spiritual realities of the Lakota nation. Insights range from the early reservation period to the time around the Wounded Knee siege of the 1970's, in particular. Fools Crow's story touches the heart with his warmth and love for all people, and his profound dedication to Wakan Tanka (God), Tunkashila (Grandfather), Grandmother earth, and to goodness itself. I would definitely recomm ...more
Kathy  Petersen
Fools Crow's life and philosophy is truly interesting. It was a pleasure and a privilege to become acquainted with his story, especially since I know few American Indians but am sympathetic to their plight and to what I know of their spirituality.

I was mildly annoyed by a certain tendency toward repetition in the book, generally and understandably about issues and events that deeply concerned him; and frankly the writing was rather nondescript. I admit to being relieved to get to the final page
Esther-maria Lindner
In this recollection of memories and stories from the powerful elder and medicine Frank Fools Crow, one can connect deeply with the power of the mysteries inherent in the lakota traditions and their spirituality. Frank Fools Crow gifts the reader a rare insight into the life and mysteries of the lakota people. This is a book that needs to be honored and his wisdom respected.
Carolyn
Another really valuable first-hand account of an extraordinary person in a strange and difficult time. Fools Crow was born in 1890, was kept out of the missionary schools, never learned to read, write, or speak English, a traditionalist who somehow managed to retain hold of his identity as well as bridge the old, the new, the Indian, the White worlds.
Phillip
This book would go well with "Autobiography of a Yogi". The voice of Frank Fools Crow provides an positive example of a man who remained steadfast to life despite its hardships.
Lauren
A must read for those interested in Native culture.
Drennan
Drennan is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2015
Janelle Drennan
Janelle Drennan marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Sadie Robb
Sadie Robb marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Alika
Alika added it
Jul 25, 2015
Argemiro Aguilar
Argemiro Aguilar marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Kasey Rackowitz
Kasey Rackowitz marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Stalfos
Stalfos marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
J Blevins
J Blevins marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Julia Sparrow
Julia Sparrow marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
  • A Story as Sharp as a Knife: The Classical Haida Mythtellers and Their World
  • The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull
  • The Lakota Way: Stories and Lessons for Living
  • Spirit and Reason: The Vine Deloria Jr. Reader
  • Rational Mysticism: Spirituality Meets Science in the Search for Enlightenment
  • Long Life, Honey in the Heart
  • Prison Writings: My Life Is My Sun Dance
  • The Soul of the Indian
  • The Earth Shall Weep: A History of Native America
  • Coming Out of the Ice: An Unexpected Life
  • Tulku
Fool's Crow: Wisdom and Power The Hopi Survival Kit: The Prophecies, Instructions and Warnings Revealed by the Last Elders The Mystic Warriors of the Plains: The Culture, Arts, Crafts and Religion of the Plains Indians The Cherokee People: The Story of the Cherokees from Earliest Origins to Contemporary Times Hotevilla: Hopi Shrine of the Covenant : Microcosm of the World